[Today at 05:23:29 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:46:35 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: THE COACH WOJO PRESSER/ New Contract & Expectations  (Read 12401 times)

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
THE COACH WOJO PRESSER/ New Contract & Expectations
« on: May 10, 2019, 01:27:29 AM »
Wow I am watching this Coach Wojo press conference here and I am really enjoying it and like what I hear.  https://youtu.be/v3JzSG49040

First off I back Coach Wojo and his staff which began and continues to be one of the best in College Basketball.

It started with a collection of who's who guards in Chris Carrawell, Dawkins, Gainey, and others.
Former players I respected and watched play and from their games you could see they would make fine coaches.

And now a solid staff still remains in Coach Johnson Coach Nelson Coach Killings etc. Solid staff.

But I am 3:50 seconds into this and you can sense Coach's excitement and eagerness to get started and begin working and building and advancing on with his team.

I really liked the part about 'Expectations' and would recommend that many in here listen to that part. He really nailed on that very well when making a differentiation between exceptions and just . . . 'noise.'

He also said how he embraces expectations and said that his program has met them since he has been here [which is true imo.] Perhaps not quite to the liking of some... after last years swoon. But oh well.

Look at it: 
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 01:30:00 AM by MUHoopsFan2 »

PointWarrior

• All American
Re: THE COACH WOJO PRESSER/ New Contract & Expectations
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 01:29:53 AM »
Awesome, another thread on expectations...

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 01:30:52 AM »
Every team has them....except Virginia like he said...watch the part of the video where he addressed that.

There is not a program in the country that does not have expectations. Some of them vary. And nothing has changed on that front at all he says.

Coming from where he has come from and remembering him as a player on great college teams and then a coach on that same team I know that to be the case.

MU has improved each and every year. I am glad they are keeping him and his staff and that they can continue to to build a contender here like the Bucks have done with keeping continuity. We'll see...
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 01:39:49 AM by MUHoopsFan2 »

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2019, 01:33:49 AM »
He embarced the expectations. And coming from Duke [which is the prime example and analogy I wish he would have used, but did not] where they had great expectations each year of winning the National Title each and every year, no one is as in tune with that them him.

Some of his players just needed to also stay on board with that and not have agenda's. But that is not the case. . . down the stretch was it?

Ahem. . . no names mentioned.

And now they all seem to do so even after or with some 'changes' and positive additions.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 01:35:46 AM by MUHoopsFan2 »

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2019, 01:46:44 AM »
Yes another thread on expectations...

Every thread in here is about expectations and speculations and estimations and summations of the season, of players and where we think or hope and feel they should be....

Work with me here, work with me...https://youtu.be/v3JzSG49040

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2019, 01:59:40 AM »
I don't want to spend a lot of time quoting Coach, but I started really tuning in when the 6:00 mark of the video began when he spoke of maturity and such as what one needs to be able to separate true or realistic expectation from 'noise.'

And how some players or young men are treated like Pro's already and have a lot of outside influences in their ears.

"You should drown out the noise. . . "

"The noise comes from a small minority."

"And...and...that minority might not have your best interests at heart." *

"Expectations, GREAT . . . BRING THEM ON. I think we have done a hell of a job."

"I am proud of what our program has done, I am proud of my staff, I love my kids, . . . and you know what, do we want to do better? ABSOLUTELY."

"We want expectations, that is one of the reasons I came to Marquette. There are high expectations, and to me that's awesome."

"Every team in the country has expectations, except maybe 1 Virginia [The National Champion each year]

Maybe many of you the 'expectations' you had were not met...but I do not think it was due to a lack of effort or desire but I think it came from the 'noise' or advice or dissatisfaction from outside on behalf of a few that crept in from the outside that had worked to break up what was a winning situation...

<These are mic drop's for me here. He could have ended the conference here and I am satisfied, so . . . Um, ..yeah. > lol 

And that is just 6:55 into the conference...let me watch the rest of it and we will see...
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 02:12:56 AM by MUHoopsFan2 »

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2019, 02:27:55 AM »
As I continue to watch:

At the 12:00 Wojo goes in on the Markus Howard question.

[I did not hear the question of the reporter asking it which really ticks me off and I wish they would give them a mic so we can hear]

Coach speaks on how it was incredible for him to choose to come back and not even test the waters. .  of the NBA.

Then he speaks on how unfair some have been concerning Markus.

He says he is not sure if you are going to find a finer representative of MU than Markus and "goodness gracious" this time last year he was building courts for kids in Costa Rica.

...in his "free time he decides to start the fellowship of Christian athletes."
{I was not aware of this...wow. I am impressed. lol. Good stuff.} he spoke to a national audience about his struggles with mental health...

People only want to talk about peoeple who left or things that did not go well....nice.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2019, 04:01:54 AM »
Man, its reely wonderful ta have da innocence of youth, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Goose

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2019, 04:36:49 AM »
Doc,
Was just thinking the same thing. Wow, big Wojo backer and a lot of energy.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2019, 05:08:14 AM »
I don't want to spend a lot of time quoting Coach, but I started really tuning in when the 6:00 mark of the video began when he spoke of maturity and such as what one needs to be able to separate true or realistic expectation from 'noise.'

And how some players or young men are treated like Pro's already and have a lot of outside influences in their ears.

"You should drown out the noise. . . "

"The noise comes from a small minority."

"And...and...that minority might not have your best interests at heart." *

"Expectations, GREAT . . . BRING THEM ON. I think we have done a hell of a job."

"I am proud of what our program has done, I am proud of my staff, I love my kids, . . . and you know what, do we want to do better? ABSOLUTELY."

"We want expectations, that is one of the reasons I came to Marquette. There are high expectations, and to me that's awesome."

"Every team in the country has expectations, except maybe 1 Virginia [The National Champion each year]

Maybe many of you the 'expectations' you had were not met...but I do not think it was due to a lack of effort or desire but I think it came from the 'noise' or advice or dissatisfaction from outside on behalf of a few that crept in from the outside that had worked to break up what was a winning situation...

<These are mic drop's for me here. He could have ended the conference here and I am satisfied, so . . . Um, ..yeah. > lol 

And that is just 6:55 into the conference...let me watch the rest of it and we will see...
Slurp on with the kool aid. Expectations can be very elusive  especially with the state of this program.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2019, 06:05:34 AM »
Slurp on with the kool aid. Expectations can be very elusive  especially with the state of this program.

A couple recalcitrant players didn’t trust the process and, with likely goading from helicopter parents, quit on the program. I see a fire in the eyes of coaches and players I didn’t see all last year. The state of the program has never been better.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

connie

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2019, 06:18:41 AM »
A couple recalcitrant players didn’t trust the process and, with likely goading from helicopter parents, quit on the program. I see a fire in the eyes of coaches and players I didn’t see all last year. The state of the program has never been better.
It's ok Mrs. Wojo, you got an extension.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2019, 06:20:05 AM »

Never been better? We haven’t won a tournament game since 2013.

I saw a coach who got heated for no reason at a press conference on May 9th that was supposed to be celebrating his extension.

His answer on the Hausers was a total chicken sh!t answer. You’re surprised? Really? You’re the head coach, how are you surprised. Control your locker room. And the whole 800 kids a year transfer is total BS. Yeah those numbers are true but it’s probably 90% of kids transferring down a level cuz they can’t hang, kids transferring up because they need better competition, or kids transferring closer to home. Teams don’t lose 2 of their top 3 players.

Also, Markus is extremely celebrated and appreciated. For him to think otherwise is another area where I guess he just doesn’t know what the hell is going on.

Having said all that, I do think we’re going to be pretty good next year and I hope that the product on the court makes us forget about this offseason
Bring back FFP!!!

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2019, 06:35:14 AM »
Also, the whole transfers haven’t really happened at Marquette is untrue too. The guy is straight up lying. Does he think this fan base is stupid? There’s been at least one almost every year. Granted none of them have been very good players and we haven’t really missed them but to say they haven’t happened that much at MU is a lie.

Gabe Levine (yeah I know, he was scarred of Henry)
Denote
Sandy
Haniif
Traci
Sam & Joey
Duane* (grad transfer, I know. But could have been big for that team. Wouldn’t of had to play Rowsey and Markus at the same time so much)
Bring back FFP!!!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2019, 06:45:58 AM »

I saw a coach who got heated for no reason at a press conference on May 9th that was supposed to be celebrating his extension.

His answer on the Hausers was a total chicken sh!t answer. You’re surprised? Really? You’re the head coach, how are you surprised. Control your locker room. And the whole 800 kids a year transfer is total BS. Yeah those numbers are true but it’s probably 90% of kids transferring down a level cuz they can’t hang, kids transferring up because they need better competition, or kids transferring closer to home. Teams don’t lose 2 of their top 3 players.

Also, Markus is extremely celebrated and appreciated. For him to think otherwise is another area where I guess he just doesn’t know what the hell is going on.

Having said all that, I do think we’re going to be pretty good next year and I hope that the product on the court makes us forget about this offseason

Got heated? Lol. I guess people can find something if they’re really looking hard enough. I’d address the rest of the rant but it’s hard to take it seriously when you’re claiming Wojo “got heated.”
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2019, 06:48:48 AM »
He even acknowledged it. “Don’t let my intensity stop you from asking questions”

It’s a press conference in May. To take a page out of your book Wades R-E-L-A—X
Bring back FFP!!!

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2019, 06:55:14 AM »

Also, Markus is extremely celebrated and appreciated. For him to think otherwise is another area where I guess he just doesn’t know what the hell is going on

1. Umm u are completely wrong on your transfer thought

2.  During the last month, How many threads on here have had to do with how great of a season marcus had last year

U dont appear to know what the hell is going on.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2019, 06:59:32 AM »

I feel like the program was in a better state in 77, 03, and 11. But that's just me.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2019, 07:15:29 AM »
It's ok Mrs. Wojo, you got an extension.

This is pretty good.   ;D
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2019, 07:15:49 AM »
1. Umm u are completely wrong on your transfer thought

2.  During the last month, How many threads on here have had to do with how great of a season marcus had last year

U dont appear to know what the hell is going on.

My bad, I forgot about coaches leaving which is a huge transfer reason.

Marcus? Couldn’t tell you. But Markus had a hell of a season and if threads on scoop need to quantify that then wow
Bring back FFP!!!

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2019, 07:41:33 AM »
Every team has them....except Virginia like he said...watch the part of the video where he addressed that.

There is not a program in the country that does not have expectations. Some of them vary. And nothing has changed on that front at all he says.

Coming from where he has come from and remembering him as a player on great college teams and then a coach on that same team I know that to be the case.

MU has improved each and every year. I am glad they are keeping him and his staff and that they can continue to to build a contender here like the Bucks have done with keeping continuity. We'll see...

Is there a contingent of fans of who don't believe Wojo expects to succeed here?  Or that he doesn't work hard?  Or doesn't put in the effort? That his expectations are out of whack?

The issues with Wojo are results based.  In the expectations thread I saw a lot of agreement about expecting to be Top 25.  Well, Wojo has done that once in his tenure, this past season (And for a while there, it was a lot of fun!).  But it ended with blowing a shot at a Big East championship, getting pantsed in the NCAA tournament by a double digit seed, and then losing two starters (most likely to our in-state rival).  And that was, without a doubt, his best season.  So while I'm not gonna defend any extreme vitriol from the segment of the fanbase that he complained about, it's not surprising in the slightest that there are unhappy fans out there.  Hopefully we have a great season and Wojo can tell everyone to shove it.

And going from the NCAA to the NIT is not "improving each and every year"

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2019, 07:55:18 AM »
Also, the whole transfers haven’t really happened at Marquette is untrue too. The guy is straight up lying. Does he think this fan base is stupid? There’s been at least one almost every year. Granted none of them have been very good players and we haven’t really missed them but to say they haven’t happened that much at MU is a lie.

Denote
Sandy
Haniif
Traci
Sam & Joey
Duane* (grad transfer, I know. But could have been big for that team. Wouldn’t of had to play Rowsey and Markus at the same time so much)

The quote was "it doesn't happen here as much as it happens other places." Which is a correct statement. During the Wojo era, the average number of transfers per team per year has been around 2.4. At Marquette, we have averaged 2 a year (you missed Steve Taylor).

Marcus? Couldn’t tell you. But Markus had a hell of a season and if threads on scoop need to quantify that then wow

If you are going to correct other's spelling, I would make sure yours is solid  ;D

Denote
Sandy
Haniif
Traci
Sam & Joey
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2019, 07:56:31 AM »

As to your points...
A. Where we are at going forward...I’ve never felt better. NCAA may not be a total crapshoot, but it’s a 64 team horse race...you thought the Derby with 18-20 runners requires luck and good trips? Things will break well for this team.

B. so you’re bewildered Wojo was fired up in May...but....apathy.
IDK, Maybe he wants to win so bad...he is too fired up...to the point it caused a couple key transfers.
So, which is it, complacent apathy or sheer fire?  I’ll take the latter every day.

C. How can you not get the point? Wojo was completely surprised at the BroHaus’ level of dissatisfaction...that it could lead to them walking away given the potential of the team. He managed the situation in the way he felt necessary...it’s your prerogative to call it mismanagement.  His handling and leadership in the situation was rejected by two of those being managed. In the corporate world, such employees are either terminated or quit. In the military, they would be discharged for insubordination.  Coach was shocked they quit. But when taken in the context of what is arguably a transfer epidemic...he understands...maybe the whole concept of team ahead of personal goals is archaic...the grass is always greener...kids are impatient.

D. I concede you your point. Markus is indeed greatly celebrated and appreciated. I think Wojo was referring to those who want to blame him for the transfers, and then conveniently gloss over all he has done, in every capacity, to represent MU so well.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2019, 08:04:21 AM »
And going from the NCAA to the NIT is not "improving each and every year"

I don't remember if you were the one I had this argument with already or not, so apologies if you are. But recruiting comes in cycles. When a big class graduates, like what happened in 2017, a down year is expected. The last time Marquette had an expected down year was Wojo's first year where he had a losing record and missed the post season. The next down year, he made the NIT as a high seed. That's improvement. Maybe the team doesn't improve from one season to the next (that doesn't happen every year for any team otherwise we'd have one team winning the national championship every year) but the program may still be improving overall.

Same thing is going to happen in 20-21. With everyone graduating, a down year will be expected. The hope  and maybe even expectation is that despite the down year, Marquette will still make the tourney, though possibly by the skin of their teeth.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2019, 08:12:37 AM »
I don't remember if you were the one I had this argument with already or not, so apologies if you are. But recruiting comes in cycles. When a big class graduates, like what happened in 2017, a down year is expected. The last time Marquette had an expected down year was Wojo's first year where he had a losing record and missed the post season. The next down year, he made the NIT as a high seed. That's improvement. Maybe the team doesn't improve from one season to the next (that doesn't happen every year for any team otherwise we'd have one team winning the national championship every year) but the program may still be improving overall.

Same thing is going to happen in 20-21. With everyone graduating, a down year will be expected. The hope  and maybe even expectation is that despite the down year, Marquette will still make the tourney, though possibly by the skin of their teeth.

We did have that argument.  Going from the NCAA to the NIT is not improving no matter how you try to couch it.  And it holds even less weight when that big class that graduated was the empty cupboard.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 08:14:35 AM by Small Orange Soda »