[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: THE COACH WOJO PRESSER/ New Contract & Expectations  (Read 12424 times)

NickelDimer

• All American
Re: THE COACH WOJO PRESSER/ New Contract & Expectations
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2019, 11:59:14 AM »
I remember when press conferences used to inspire confidence in me. Ahh the days of youth
No Finish Line

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2019, 12:00:47 PM »
I think we should change the name of this site from MUScoop to MUnoise.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2019, 12:06:19 PM »
I remember when press conferences used to inspire confidence in me. Ahh the days of youth

I remember you saying luck had nothing to do with NCAA tournament success.....a couple of national champion coaches beg to differ.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2019, 12:12:18 PM »
This is what I don't get..why should it be, and why does it have to be expected?? Bottom line, it doesn't need to be. No reason a program like MU can't at minimum maintain their success from the previous year when a class graduates. Why should they make it by the skin of their teeth?? My expectations from year to year is that they make the tournament comfortably(everyone's definition of that is different). People talk like this program is Old Dominion or Dayton or something. I get tired of that.

Because every program has down years. Even the blue bloods. Their down years are less down then ours. And our down years are less down then the Daytons and Old Dominions of the world. This is a fact. If programs didn't have down years, then eventually there would be one team that wins the national championship every year by an increasing margin because that is the only way that they could improve.

Part of becoming elite again is making sure those down years aren't so down. First down year under Wojo was a losing record. Second down year under Wojo was an NIT berth. My hope for the next down year after that is an NCAA bubble team. My hope for the next down year after that is in the 6-10 seed range. My hope for the next down year after that is in in the 3-5 seed range....and on and on and on. Likely there will some cycles in there where we plateau for a bit. And that's fine, it happens to all programs. As long as the cycles don't start to trend downwards.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2019, 12:13:23 PM »
I remember you saying luck had nothing to do with NCAA tournament success.....a couple of national champion coaches beg to differ.

I love how you are continuously pushing the "crapshoot" narrative...yet you take me to town for pushing my "mediocre" narrative. If you're correct that the tournament is a crapshoot, then I am also correct that Wojo's tenure has been mediocre.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2019, 12:13:45 PM »
I didn't say we wouldn't be very competitive. I said we will be worse than we were the year before.
I would wait to see how recruiting goes before making that declaration .There are also still potentially solid transfers available and we won’t know how that plays out for a few months. Big East is an attractive landing spots for transfers.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2019, 12:19:21 PM »
I would wait to see how recruiting goes before making that declaration .There are also still potentially solid transfers available and we won’t know how that plays out for a few months. Big East is an attractive landing spots for transfers.

I don't like to toot my own horn, but I think I'm pretty connected to what's available in the transfer market.

As I said before, we could end up not having a down year after graduating an All American, a for sure starter, and two potential starters. If Wojo and co can replace all that in a single offseason, that will be a huge feather in their cap.
TAMU

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2019, 12:37:29 PM »
Why do you feel it necessary to libel Dave & Steph Hauser? Why do you feel it necessary to constantly go after the boys as well? They're gone, just let it play out. I feel like all this site is right now is people blasting back and forth about this, we have no control, just let it play out. Sometimes people do things for reasons they perceive are in their best interest. If it has nothing to do with you, which in this case it certainly doesn't, why keep bad-mouthing them for making that decision?

You dont think they had anything to do with it??!!!  I guarantee those helicopter parents were central in it.  Jealous of Markus and the first to blame the swoon not on their precious babies and their collapse but on the fact that Markus wasnt playing very well either.  Recall daddy Hauser running down from the stands when Sam got hurt against DePaul, if he is an emergency room physician then i take that one back.  Bi+ch ass kids typucally are the products of bi+ch ass parents.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

LON

• All American
« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2019, 12:38:26 PM »
Never been better? We haven’t won a tournament game since 2013.

I saw a coach who got heated for no reason at a press conference on May 9th that was supposed to be celebrating his extension.

His answer on the Hausers was a total chicken sh!t answer. You’re surprised? Really? You’re the head coach, how are you surprised. Control your locker room. And the whole 800 kids a year transfer is total BS. Yeah those numbers are true but it’s probably 90% of kids transferring down a level cuz they can’t hang, kids transferring up because they need better competition, or kids transferring closer to home. Teams don’t lose 2 of their top 3 players.

Also, Markus is extremely celebrated and appreciated. For him to think otherwise is another area where I guess he just doesn’t know what the hell is going on.

Having said all that, I do think we’re going to be pretty good next year and I hope that the product on the court makes us forget about this offseason

Did Theo or Sacar transfer too?  Because if you are saying Joey was top 3 last year...well, we didn't watch the same games, apparently.  Unless you're referencing them in regards to PPG, which ignores quite a bit of Joey's deficiencies.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2019, 12:39:24 PM »
I didn't say we wouldn't be very competitive. I said we will be worse than we were the year before.

I belive u to be wrong
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

DarkWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2019, 12:42:59 PM »
I like WOJO. Glad he is staying and believe he will find a way to move us forward.

I support this guy 100% at this point!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2019, 12:57:36 PM »
Wojo can talk the talk, I'm just waiting for him to walk the walk.  Reminds me of his press conference at the end of the 17-18 season when he was saying "We are going to be a program that wins a lot of games in March.."

They went 1-5 this past March including a tournament beat down by a 12 seed.

So you're giving him a 1 year sample size to follow through on that word?

Reasonable.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2019, 01:09:06 PM »
You dont think they had anything to do with it??!!!  I guarantee those helicopter parents were central in it.  Jealous of Markus and the first to blame the swoon not on their precious babies and their collapse but on the fact that Markus wasnt playing very well either.  Recall daddy Hauser running down from the stands when Sam got hurt against DePaul, if he is an emergency room physician then i take that one back.  Bi+ch ass kids typucally are the products of bi+ch ass parents.

From everything I have heard, if they were running things MU fans would be much more content. I'm not saying they were 100% happy, but I don't believe they made the final decision to leave.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2019, 01:15:31 PM »
I rarely remember anything you say because it’s rarely worth remembering. I do remember you saying tournament winners have the luck of a crapshoot to thank though. Can’t make that stuff up. Stay gold (if not confused) cheeks.
No Finish Line

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2019, 01:41:24 PM »
I belive u to be wrong

Are you talking about next season? Or are you talking about 20-21 after we graduate Markus, Sacar, Jayce, and Ed? Because I'm talking about the second one.
TAMU

GrimmReaper33

• Starter
« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2019, 02:27:33 PM »
So you're giving him a 1 year sample size to follow through on that word?

Reasonable.

He's been the coach for 5 years.  He talks big but hasn't backed it up.  I guess we'll see.  He flat out said, "we're going to be really good" this next season so let's see if he can follow through.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2019, 02:29:30 PM »
He's been the coach for 5 years.  He talks big but hasn't backed it up.  I guess we'll see.  He flat out said, "we're going to be really good" this next season so let's see if he can follow through.

You claimed Wojo can only talk the talk but does not walk the walk and provided a quote from after the 2017-2018 season saying we would be a program that won a lot in March.  We just played the 2018-2019 season.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

muguru

• All American
« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2019, 02:32:08 PM »

This post is spot on! I guarantee you his definition of "really" good and my/others definition of "really" good, is quite different. He also says...bring on the expectations...well...they have been brought on, when do you intend to deliver on them Wojo?? Don't write checks you can't cash.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2019, 02:34:32 PM »
You claimed Wojo can only talk the talk but does not walk the walk and provided a quote from after the 2017-2018 season saying we would be a program that won a lot in March.  We just played the 2018-2019 season.
If you want to say it’s too early to fully judge the results based on a comment he made before last season, fine. But the early results of that statement are pathetic. And I doubt when he made that statement he wasn’t referring in part to last season.
No Finish Line

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2019, 03:06:39 PM »

Wojo, referring to 2019-20, said "we're going to be really good." Scholl reinforced that, and indicated fan expectations should include Final Fours and National Championships. Both were clearly talking about next year when they said "really good."

They are reinforcing the same high expectations the social media team pushed when they retweeted all the top-10 predictions in early April. As far as I'm concerned, after that presser my expectations for next year are a top-15 team that is a Final Four contender.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2019, 03:17:29 PM »
Wojo, referring to 2019-20, said "we're going to be really good." Scholl reinforced that, and indicated fan expectations should include Final Fours and National Championships. Both were clearly talking about next year when they said "really good."

They are reinforcing the same high expectations the social media team pushed when they retweeted all the top-10 predictions in early April. As far as I'm concerned, after that presser my expectations for next year are a top-15 team that is a Final Four contender.
Well,  Top 25 contenders in any event at this point.   This is really a totally different team that needs to earn its spurs.  Should be fun to watch.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #71 on: May 10, 2019, 03:25:21 PM »
Animated is the word that comes to
mind.  This year is an important year for those of us that are wobbly with him.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

GrimmReaper33

• Starter
« Reply #72 on: May 10, 2019, 04:00:45 PM »

... And we didn't win big in March.  Quite the opposite, actually.  When is he going to back up his bold statements?  5 full seasons not enough?  How long do we need to wait for him to follow through?

My whole point is he's making himself look pretty foolish with this big talk considering he hasn't accomplished all that much.  He said they're going to be really good this year.  What does that mean?  To me that's at least top 25 all year and sweet 16.  I'm not all that confident it's going to happen, and he'll look stupid again.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 04:03:47 PM by GrimmReaper33 »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #73 on: May 10, 2019, 04:12:14 PM »
... And we didn't win big in March.  Quite the opposite, actually.  When is he going to back up his bold statements?  5 full seasons not enough?  How long do we need to wait for him to follow through?

My whole point is he's making himself look pretty foolish with this big talk considering he hasn't accomplished all that much.  He said they're going to be really good this year.  What does that mean?  To me that's at least top 25 all year and sweet 16.  I'm not all that confident it's going to happen, and he'll look stupid again.

...5 full seasons after the quote you supplied would be following the 2022-2023 season.  That's my point.  You say he talks a big game based on his quote following the 2017-2018 season and then complain he didn't back up his claim because they bowed out early in March the very first season.

Wojo in May of 2018: "We're going to be a program that wins big in March."

You in May of 2019: "He looks like an idiot!  He isn't backing up his word!"

You're right, he didn't back up his word.  But it hasn't been 5 years since his word.  It's been 1.

What should Wojo say to satisfy you?  "We aren't going to be very good next season.  But it's okay because we don't have any expectations here, other than getting good quality kids who stay out of trouble.  If we win big that's great.  If not meh, I'll still make my millions!"
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 04:14:24 PM by wadesworld »

GrimmReaper33

• Starter
« Reply #74 on: May 10, 2019, 04:23:07 PM »
...5 full seasons after the quote you supplied would be following the 2022-2023 season.  That's my point.  You say he talks a big game based on his quote following the 2017-2018 season and then complain he didn't back up his claim because they bowed out early in March the very first season.

Wojo in May of 2018: "We're going to be a program that wins big in March."

You in May of 2019: "He looks like an idiot!  He isn't backing up his word!"

You're right, he didn't back up his word.  But it hasn't been 5 years since his word.  It's been 1.

I'm just saying he's not making himself look good with these statements.  At the time he made that statement, he hadn't won crap in March in 4 years as head coach (unless you're going to count a couple NIT wins).  He makes the bold comment to basically call out his doubters, and then proceeded to have an epic collapse in March the following season.

Now after this season, he doubles down by saying "we're going to be really good."  He's setting himself up to look really foolish if they don't have a great season.

The only point I'm trying to make is he sure likes to talk big and make promises for a guy who hasn't accomplished much, despite having plenty of time & resources to get it done.  I find it funny that some fans (the OP) get all fired up about his comments.  Anybody can just make bold statements, wake me up when he actually backs it up.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 04:26:30 PM by GrimmReaper33 »