'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: wojo extended for 5 years  (Read 33026 times)

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
wojo extended for 5 years
« on: May 07, 2019, 02:23:57 PM »
well at least this should stabilize the recruiting waters for a while??????????

PointWarrior

• All American
Re: wojo extended for 5 years
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 02:25:21 PM »
So that explains the sound of wojo haters heads popping...

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 02:28:17 PM »
I dig it.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

MUBBau

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 02:31:19 PM »

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 02:32:14 PM »
What is the buyout? I am sure Keefe has plenty stored away to make it happen.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 02:34:56 PM »
There is one positive in this. If a scenario plays out where Wojo can squeeze out a 21-22 win ,3rd in Big East type year that may be enough to get him near enough to the top few picks  when coaching carousel starts up next year. With the additional years MU can get a bigger buyout and can be ahead on the deal. Who know the Arizona job May open and Wojo would be the perfect Mr. Clean for them post Miller.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 02:36:02 PM »
There is one positive in this. If a scenario plays out where Wojo can squeeze out a 21-22 win ,3rd in Big East type year that may be enough to get him near enough to the top few picks  when coaching carousel starts up next year. With the additional years MU can get a bigger buyout and can be ahead on the deal. Who know the Arizona job May open and Wojo would be the perfect Mr. Clean for them post Miller.

Now that he is locked up, you care to drop the anti-wojo bit? Great, thanks!
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2019, 02:37:16 PM »
hahaha, could not be happier just to watch everyone complain.

<Obvious thing happens>

I can't believe this obvious thing would happen!

<RAGE>

lol.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2019, 02:39:16 PM »
fairly neutral on this. I'd like tournament success I really would, but if he levels us out as what providence has become (prior to this past year) then I'm fine with it for a  few more years before I'll start to get truly frustrated.
Maigh Eo for Sam

muguru

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2019, 02:39:19 PM »
I'm s anti Wojo as they come, as you all know. That being said..I would NEVER root against MU to fail, just to see Wojo fail. I have liked his recruiting chops since Day 1, it's his coaching/leadership, I think there are still some questions about...Believe me, I would love NOTHING more than to see him lead MU to a National Championship.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2019, 02:40:14 PM »
fairly neutral on this. I'd like tournament success I really would, but if he levels us out as what providence has become (prior to this past year) then I'm fine with it for a  few more years before I'll start to get truly frustrated.

Really?? You'd be happy with a Providence level program??

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2019, 02:41:55 PM »
If he swung this type of deal at any other school I would say he must have a helluva of an agent. Sadly, with deal being done at MU, he likely did not need an agent.

MUBBau

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2019, 02:42:36 PM »

Yes, so we can then start another rebuild.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2019, 02:43:38 PM »
If he swung this type of deal at any other school I would say he must have a helluva of an agent. Sadly, with deal being done at MU, he likely did not need an agent.

I do think, more than anything else, this shows Goose, what we have feared..the administration's level of commitment to the program and what level of program they are satisfied with.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2019, 02:47:19 PM »
I do think, more than anything else, this shows Goose, what we have feared..the administration's level of commitment to the program and what level of program they are satisfied with.
Been saying for years the Bromance is alive and well. Only way we get rid of this turkey is for him to win enough for some desperate Power 5 program to pony up the coin necessary
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2019, 02:47:53 PM »
Hmm, the Instagram post has been deleted.  So, uh, #DoneDeal?

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2019, 02:48:23 PM »
MU deleted the IG post about it.

It was put up or shut up for MU, they had to do something.  You can't have a guy recruiting past his contract.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2019, 02:50:29 PM »
Guess we won’t be bringing Tony Bennett home ☹️
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2019, 02:50:41 PM »
I worked with a coach who was extended for 5 years and was fired two seasons later. The extension was done to stop rumors on the recruiting trail that the coach was going to be fired (a recruit specifically mentioned this in choosing another school). In exchange for the extension, the buyout was lowered significantly. So before the Wojo haters hit the panic button here, maybe this is MU's strategy - to show stability but provide more flexibility on their end.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2019, 02:53:33 PM »
Really?? You'd be happy with a Providence level program??

5 tournament appearances in a row? I wouldn't reject that. I'd be ok with making the tournament given who's here, their experience at that point and what I expect of them. I'll get impatient for more after about two more years of seasons like this.
Maigh Eo for Sam

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2019, 02:54:52 PM »

For all we know, his buyout was reduced should we need to fire him. There’s a lot of ways this extension could have gone down.

Interesting to me that they used a picture of him hugging
Markus.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2019, 02:56:28 PM »
Would not have made sense to show a picture of him hugging Sam.🙄
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2019, 03:03:52 PM »
Good for Wojo!  Good for MU!  Go MU! RahRah!

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2019, 03:08:09 PM »
I worked with a coach who was extended for 5 years and was fired two seasons later. The extension was done to stop rumors on the recruiting trail that the coach was going to be fired (a recruit specifically mentioned this in choosing another school). In exchange for the extension, the buyout was lowered significantly. So before the Wojo haters hit the panic button here, maybe this is MU's strategy - to show stability but provide more flexibility on their end.

Exactly.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2019, 03:17:15 PM »
Key word here "stabilize the recruiting waters". What the hell does that mean? What recruits is Eojo going to bring in
All this shows is that the 2.5 million gift bought Wojo for 5 more years. The mediocrity message is loud, clear, and perpetuates mediocrity. All Wojo worshippers should prepare themselves for more letdowns like the last 3 months. And MU can own that.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.