[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[April 24, 2024, 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[April 24, 2024, 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: wojo extended for 5 years  (Read 33094 times)

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
Re: wojo extended for 5 years
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2019, 03:23:39 PM »
5 tournament appearances in a row? I wouldn't reject that. I'd be ok with making the tournament given who's here, their experience at that point and what I expect of them. I'll get impatient for more after about two more years of seasons like this.

you have to realize you're dealing with people who are still living in the 70's when it comes to MU hoops.

I'd like more postseason success than PC. I'd take Xavier level of success.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2019, 03:24:43 PM »
Key word here "stabilize the recruiting waters". What the hell does that mean? What recruits is Eojo going to bring in
All this shows is that the 2.5 million gift bought Wojo for 5 more years. The mediocrity message is loud, clear, and perpetuates mediocrity. All Wojo worshippers should prepare themselves for more letdowns like the last 3 months. And MU can own that.

You should learn how contracts work in college sports before offering an opinion.  Have a grape soda
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Boston Warrior

• Starter
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2019, 03:25:41 PM »
What were the terms?

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2019, 03:25:57 PM »
In today's age do extensions even matter?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2019, 03:26:40 PM »

No
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2019, 03:30:30 PM »
fairly neutral on this. I'd like tournament success I really would, but if he levels us out as what providence has become (prior to this past year) then I'm fine with it for a  few more years before I'll start to get truly frustrated.

From everything I've read you're a big fan and a competitor. When I hear from someone with that profile that he's hoping we can become freakin' Providence College.....OMFG.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2019, 03:32:14 PM »

Only to show recruits the school is committed to a coach.  And maybe if the buyout price is increased.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2019, 03:35:50 PM »
And isn't this extension only two years?  Basically to get him through the next recruiting cycle.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2019, 03:36:10 PM »
you have to realize you're dealing with people who are still living in the 70's when it comes to MU hoops.

Buzz was our coach in the 70s? Who knew?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2019, 03:36:31 PM »
Hey, I have wanted MU to state their objective/goal for the program for a decade, and today they gave to us. Hopefully this helps Wojo get that knockout 2020 class I have been reading about for a year.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2019, 03:41:18 PM »
From everything I've read you're a big fan and a competitor. When I hear from someone with that profile that he's hoping we can become freakin' Providence College.....OMFG.

I am, or at least was, the pint to workout ratio over here hasn't swayed towards competing much. but I see us currently as 2/3 tournament appearances and a third that was a bubble team. I don't want to go backwards. Thus if we can continue or improve to Providence's 5 in a row I'll be happy. Note happiness doesn't mean I'll be going nuts and ecstatic but I'll be pleased that we didn't take a step back and remained very competitive through some major turnover in the next two years.
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2019, 03:44:20 PM »
Providence hasn't reached the second weekend of the tournament in 22 years. MU needs to be better than that.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2019, 03:45:44 PM »
Hey, I have wanted MU to state their objective/goal for the program for a decade, and today they gave to us. Hopefully this helps Wojo get that knockout 2020 class I have been reading about for a year.

I don't know if he will or not but it's off to a good start! If current recruiting rankings hold, Symir Torrence is the 5th highest rated recruit to commit to Marquette since 2000.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2019, 03:52:57 PM »
Providence hasn't reached the second weekend of the tournament in 22 years. MU needs to be better than that.

Jesus Christ people I'm not saying I want us to be providence or that id be celebrating those seasons. Merely happy that we were an upper echelon program for 5yrs straight at that point.

Also MU has 5 second weekend appearances in 40yrs. Thats one every 8 years. What indicator is there that were a mainstay.

Let me clarify for everyone:
Providence= Happy we continue to be top tier competitive

Xavier= Actually happy with where we're at

Villanova= My hopes, dreams and desires
Maigh Eo for Sam

tower912

• All American
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2019, 03:53:13 PM »
Good timing for this.  There hasn't been a hint that the decision makers are mad at Wojo.  This is just a public affirmation.  And in the end, if circumstances change, he can still be fired.   A signal of stability and confidence helps recruiting.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2019, 03:59:01 PM »
Whenever the news does get officially released, it will only affirm preconceived thoughts about Wojo's tenure here at Marquette from a variety of fans.  If you support Wojo, you will view this as "good news", as it undoubtedly helps with recruiting, allows the program to continue its current upward trajectory, and allows for stability in the coming seasons; if you want Wojo gone, it is a commitment to mediocrity, a foolish decision that will only postpone Marquette's return to greatness that much longer. 

The fact of the matter is that contracts in college basketball mean nothing.  Coaches are free to negotiate under a current deal with other schools (and, often times, leverage those talks into a bonus or salary increase).  In rare cases for certain coaches, see Jamie Dixon and Rick Barnes, the shrewd buyouts mandated by the schools provide them with security and financial incentive to offer whomever the next coach inevitably is. 

There is very little support to argue this is a bad development for the program, if true.  If the program has a successful season next year, then it is a win/win/win for the school, Wojo and the fans.  If it struggles, then I hardly believe that this extension will prevent the coaching staff from getting on the hot seat for 20-21 (and possibly encourage Wojo to pursue another job in advance of Duke's inevitable opening, not unlike Cuonzo Martin leaving California, Jamie Dixon leaving TCU, Frank Martin leaving K-State, etc.). 

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2019, 04:03:13 PM »

Better than becoming Dayton....

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2019, 04:11:25 PM »
This was obvious and is being misconstrued. Wojo was already signed through 2021-22, so it's adding 2 years to the deal. This lets Wojo tell recruits he will be at Marquette their entire college career. He just had a relatively good season. Not as good as it looked in February, but the best in his tenure. Add two years, adjust the buyout, and if he hits it big, negotiate it further.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2019, 04:11:51 PM »
Non-news
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2019, 04:12:04 PM »
I see MU waited until May to re-up his contract. 

Clearly, they weren't eager!  #Arbys

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2019, 04:20:06 PM »
I have very mixed emotions about this one. On one hand, you need a commitment to a coach, no matter who he or she is, that demonstrates the University is committed to him or her through the four years you expect/hope/wish the recruits you bring will be with you.

That's what Marquette did today.

In the long-term, all Marquette did was up the cost of the buyout if next year is a dumpster fire. If Coach Wojo recruits and we get the team we hope for next year, then the renewal was a great thing. And, I do think that if things go well next year, Coach Wojo will be with us a long, long time.

I'm not sold on the fact that after the Baby Hauser convinced his brother to leave that the dumpster fire has been put out. And while I understand what Marquette did, the simmering problems between the Brothers Hauser and Coach Wojo and the apparent inability to manage it concerns me and leads to having today's actions leave a bad taste in my mouth.

One would hope in the process Marquette told Coach Wojo that our expectations are threefold. If you're reading this, members of the Board of Trustees, please be sure this is your priority:

1) Marquette will be among the strongest earners on an attendance, television and merchandising basis among NCAA Division 1 basketball programs. (OK, it's about money because this helps pay for things the university needs).

2) Marquette must be a consistent elite level college basketball program. We will be a Top 10 program in Division 1 College Basketball that competes for National Championships and routinely is among the two or three best Big East teams. (This creates visibility for the University and allows Marquette to showcase other things it does well).

3) Marquette will graduate as close to 100 percent of its student athletes -- including college basketball players -- as practicable in today's intercollegiate sports world. This is something we've always done and is something that was a point of pride when Coach McGuire was here. Even the guys who left early got their degrees!

fjm

• All American
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2019, 04:24:15 PM »
Yep. This was needed from a recruiting standpoint.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2019, 04:32:12 PM »
This was obvious and is being misconstrued. Wojo was already signed through 2021-22, so it's adding 2 years to the deal. This lets Wojo tell recruits he will be at Marquette their entire college career. He just had a relatively good season. Not as good as it looked in February, but the best in his tenure. Add two years, adjust the buyout, and if he hits it big, negotiate it further.

Plus 100.  If you weren't going to extend him, you almost had to fire him.  Doing nothing would have set the program back further because recruiting would have dried up. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2019, 04:39:58 PM »
Marquette hasn’t reached the first weekend in the last five years. Baby steps.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2019, 04:50:12 PM »
I do think, more than anything else, this shows Goose, what we have feared..the administration's level of commitment to the program and what level of program they are satisfied with.

Either the administration sees the forest through the trees or you guys do.  I hope you are wrong.