[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: wojo extended for 5 years  (Read 33102 times)

dad's couch

• Starter
Re: wojo extended for 5 years
« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2019, 04:50:36 PM »
I have very mixed emotions about this one. On one hand, you need a commitment to a coach, no matter who he or she is, that demonstrates the University is committed to him or her through the four years you expect/hope/wish the recruits you bring will be with you.

That's what Marquette did today.

In the long-term, all Marquette did was up the cost of the buyout if next year is a dumpster fire. If Coach Wojo recruits and we get the team we hope for next year, then the renewal was a great thing. And, I do think that if things go well next year, Coach Wojo will be with us a long, long time.

By elite do you mean he has permission to pay players like LSU, Auburn, Kansas, AZ, Oregon and the host of others mentioned in the FBI indictments the past few months.

There is not a level playing field in NCAA basketball and until the Schools and NCAA start to care. There never will be.
I'm not sold on the fact that after the Baby Hauser convinced his brother to leave that the dumpster fire has been put out. And while I understand what Marquette did, the simmering problems between the Brothers Hauser and Coach Wojo and the apparent inability to manage it concerns me and leads to having today's actions leave a bad taste in my mouth.

One would hope in the process Marquette told Coach Wojo that our expectations are threefold. If you're reading this, members of the Board of Trustees, please be sure this is your priority:

1) Marquette will be among the strongest earners on an attendance, television and merchandising basis among NCAA Division 1 basketball programs. (OK, it's about money because this helps pay for things the university needs).

2) Marquette must be a consistent elite level college basketball program. We will be a Top 10 program in Division 1 College Basketball that competes for National Championships and routinely is among the two or three best Big East teams. (This creates visibility for the University and allows Marquette to showcase other things it does well).

3) Marquette will graduate as close to 100 percent of its student athletes -- including college basketball players -- as practicable in today's intercollegiate sports world. This is something we've always done and is something that was a point of pride when Coach McGuire was here. Even the guys who left early got their degrees!

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2019, 05:16:21 PM »

One would hope in the process Marquette told Coach Wojo that our expectations are threefold. If you're reading this, members of the Board of Trustees, please be sure this is your priority:

2) Marquette must be a consistent elite level college basketball program. We will be a Top 10 program in Division 1 College Basketball that competes for National Championships and routinely is among the two or three best Big East teams. (This creates visibility for the University and allows Marquette to showcase other things it does well).

To me, this is completely unrealistic in today's modern college bball landscape. Marquette hasn't been at this level since Al, if then even. To think we can be a blueblood/elite/consistent top 10, is a bit much.

I'm sure 99% of the fan base would be happy with consistent top 25/NCAA appearances and occasional high seeds/deep runs. Even that is still rarified air.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2019, 05:45:49 PM »
To me, this is completely unrealistic in today's modern college bball landscape. Marquette hasn't been at this level since Al, if then even. To think we can be a blueblood/elite/consistent top 10, is a bit much.

I'm sure 99% of the fan base would be happy with consistent top 25/NCAA appearances and occasional high seeds/deep runs. Even that is still rarified air.

Gag me! P-L-E-A-S-E!!!!!

We are not DePaul. We can be and will be if the commitment is there.

Consistent Top 25 -- let's try Consistent Top 10! What does Duke have that we do not? Consistent coaching with an HOF coach. We're the same size. Yeah, they play in the ACC but they're about as much of a factor in football as Vanderbilt is in the SEC.

Then there's Villanova. Our Big East cousin who is a Top 10 consistent performer and has two recent Nattys. What does Villanova have that we don't? Coaching stability for one thing. Have you been to Philadelphia lately? Weather about as crappy as our's!

We need to cast our lot with a great coach who can recruit and then go get the job done. Coaching stability is everything. If Wojo is the guy, great. Get us back to where we belong. We can get there. We will!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 05:49:29 PM by dgies9156 »

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2019, 06:30:00 PM »
From The Score app:

Marquette head coach Steve Wojciechowski has agreed to a five-year contract extension through the 2023-24 season, the school announced on Tuesday.

Wojciechowski led the Golden Eagles to their second NCAA Tournament appearance in three campaigns, though Murray State eliminated them this season in the opening round.

"We are excited about the direction of our program and the progress it has made, both on and off the court, during Steve's tenure," vice president and director of athletics Bill Scholl said in a statement.

"If you look at where the program was when he took over, it's easy to see we are on the right path in terms of competitive success and what our players are accomplishing in the classroom and contributing in the community."

Wojciechowski replaced Buzz Williams in April 2014, and he now holds a 97-69 record across five seasons at the helm.

Marquette posted a 24-10 record last season, finishing second in the Big East after going 12-6 in conference play. The school reached as high as No. 10 in the AP polls.

"There is still work to be done and our passionate, dedicated and deserving fans can be assured that our staff and players are working extremely hard on a daily basis to make sure their program is considered among the nation's elite on a consistent basis," Wojciechowski said.

The Golden Eagles should contend again in the Big East next season with leading scorer Markus Howard returning. However, the team was dealt a blow with the transfers of starters Sam and Joey Hauser.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

auburnmarquette

• Team Captain
    • Value Add Explaination
« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2019, 06:42:44 PM »
I'm s anti Wojo as they come, as you all know. That being said..I would NEVER root against MU to fail, just to see Wojo fail. I have liked his recruiting chops since Day 1, it's his coaching/leadership, I think there are still some questions about...Believe me, I would love NOTHING more than to see him lead MU to a National Championship.

Awesome post! I take back any and all snarky responses to you in the past!
http://www.pudnersports.com/ for my blogs or articles and www.valueaddbasketball.com for for current and historic rankings.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2019, 07:28:34 PM »
Reading some of the enlightened people on social media saying this is equivalent to DePaul really makes me wonder what the MU education is worth if people are that stupid. 

Watching heads explode even better.

Watching the word mediocrity incorrectly used is priceless.

And finally, reminding people of the 6th place Big East non NIT team he inherited....cathartic.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 07:39:00 PM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2019, 07:30:13 PM »
Key word here "stabilize the recruiting waters". What the hell does that mean? What recruits is Eojo going to bring in
All this shows is that the 2.5 million gift bought Wojo for 5 more years. The mediocrity message is loud, clear, and perpetuates mediocrity. All Wojo worshippers should prepare themselves for more letdowns like the last 3 months. And MU can own that.

Yessss embrace your hatred!

This is the anger I was hoping for. Not gonna lie, the board hasn’t jumped off a cliff on this and I’m a little disappointed.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2019, 07:34:55 PM »
Plus 100.  If you weren't going to extend him, you almost had to fire him.  Doing nothing would have set the program back further because recruiting would have dried up.
Totally agree.  It was stick with Wojo or cut bait. I think MU made the right choice.  We only wish he made it easier for MU.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2019, 07:35:47 PM »
Several of us said in January this was going to happen.  Normal and required.  Sorry people have a bee in their bonnet...too bad.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2019, 07:37:47 PM »
I do think, more than anything else, this shows Goose, what we have feared..the administration's level of commitment to the program and what level of program they are satisfied with.

Yeah, they are committed to going to the post season three straight years, competing for a Big East title, having All American type players represent us and no issues off the court with the law. 

Damn....WTF is this administration thinking!  How dare they!!!!

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2019, 07:41:47 PM »
Gag me! P-L-E-A-S-E!!!!!

We are not DePaul. We can be and will be if the commitment is there.

Consistent Top 25 -- let's try Consistent Top 10! What does Duke have that we do not? Consistent coaching with an HOF coach. We're the same size. Yeah, they play in the ACC but they're about as much of a factor in football as Vanderbilt is in the SEC.

Then there's Villanova. Our Big East cousin who is a Top 10 consistent performer and has two recent Nattys. What does Villanova have that we don't? Coaching stability for one thing. Have you been to Philadelphia lately? Weather about as crappy as our's!

We need to cast our lot with a great coach who can recruit and then go get the job done. Coaching stability is everything. If Wojo is the guy, great. Get us back to where we belong. We can get there. We will!

Name the consistent top 10 teams and then let’s talk about gagging.  This is so unrealistic at this point it is laughable.  Seriously. Villanova wasn’t in the top 10 this year, so thus aren’t a top ten consistent team.  I’d like to know who you deem meets that requirement and then we can work backward on why that aspiration for MU is a great goal, but highly unrealistic.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #61 on: May 07, 2019, 07:45:14 PM »
MUBB getting roasted on twitter for this.  It’s reassuring to see that even though the administration is trying to pull the wool over people’s eyes by saying the program has made “tremendous progress” under Wojo, most aren’t buying it.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #62 on: May 07, 2019, 07:45:40 PM »
I worked with a coach who was extended for 5 years and was fired two seasons later. The extension was done to stop rumors on the recruiting trail that the coach was going to be fired (a recruit specifically mentioned this in choosing another school). In exchange for the extension, the buyout was lowered significantly. So before the Wojo haters hit the panic button here, maybe this is MU's strategy - to show stability but provide more flexibility on their end.

Lavin was always a lame duck. He had the great misfortune to coach at two programs that misunderstood their place in the world..

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2019, 07:49:49 PM »
MUBB getting roasted on twitter for this.  It’s reassuring to see that even though the administration is trying to pull the wool over people’s eyes by saying the program has made “tremendous progress” under Wojo, most aren’t buying it.

I wouldn't call a handful of Twitter tough guys "most"
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #64 on: May 07, 2019, 08:01:41 PM »
Wow what a gift. Hopefully this has less to do with MU being committed to Wojo for the next several years (barring significant improvement) and more to do with optics for recruiting
No Finish Line

muguru

• All American
« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2019, 08:03:21 PM »
Name the consistent top 10 teams and then let’s talk about gagging.  This is so unrealistic at this point it is laughable.  Seriously. Villanova wasn’t in the top 10 this year, so thus aren’t a top ten consistent team.  I’d like to know who you deem meets that requirement and then we can work backward on why that aspiration for MU is a great goal, but highly unrealistic.

You just make it too god damn easy for me, you know that?? Seriously...you do Chicos...“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

Is it really that hard to understand??
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2019, 08:04:58 PM »
Yeah, they are committed to going to the post season three straight years, competing for a Big East title, having All American type players represent us and no issues off the court with the law.  NIT doesn't count and where are the wins in the postseason? And still haven't won one after a monumental, unprecedented collapse last year.

Damn....WTF is this administration thinking!  How dare they!!!!

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #67 on: May 07, 2019, 08:08:49 PM »
I wouldn't call a handful of Twitter tough guys "most"
Thank you!
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #68 on: May 07, 2019, 08:11:30 PM »
You should learn how contracts work in college sports before offering an opinion.  Have a grape soda
I did not know you were the guru of basketball contracts. So please expound you knowledge, while slurping your wojo kool aid.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #69 on: May 07, 2019, 08:14:57 PM »
Yeah, they are committed to going to the post season three straight years, competing for a Big East title, having All American type players represent us and no issues off the court with the law. 

Damn....WTF is this administration thinking! How dare they!!!!

They obviously aren't thinking that they strive to become one of the elite's in college basketball...wow! 3 straight post seasons(You must subscribe to Mike Deane's thinking that MU fans should be happy with NIT appearances), with ZERO...count 'em...ZERO NCAA tourney wins, and ZERO Big east titles after a monumental, unprecedented collapse to finish second. That's definitely extension worthy. I'm not worried though..it's only for the appearance to recruits..again, I want NOTHING more then to see MU win a National Championship again..if Wojo is that guy...great, but it's more likely he isn't.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #70 on: May 07, 2019, 08:15:19 PM »
I do think, more than anything else, this shows Goose, what we have feared..the administration's level of commitment to the program and what level of program they are satisfied with.
No screaming shice. More losses than the imagination can contemplate
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #71 on: May 07, 2019, 08:17:05 PM »

Yes, because all fans are responding on Twitter.  What denominator are you using to define most?  The 15 anti-people on Twitter?  Awesome analytics.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #72 on: May 07, 2019, 08:17:46 PM »
You just make it too god damn easy for me, you know that?? Seriously...you do Chicos...“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

Is it really that hard to understand??

List the top 10 programs and we can analyze together.  Feel free to list them...thanks

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #73 on: May 07, 2019, 08:19:56 PM »

It's crazy how much power social media gives to anybody. It's even more crazy how much people bash others through social media.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #74 on: May 07, 2019, 08:25:14 PM »
Guru

Since NIT doesn’t count, when are we tearing the NIT banner down and removing the accomplishment from the locker room, and all other acknowledgement from MU? And shouldn’t MU basketball decide what counts and what doesn’t?

feedback