[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Vander Blue Man Group
[Today at 07:53:14 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Best States For Retirement  (Read 10664 times)

Benny B

• All American
Best States For Retirement
« on: April 27, 2019, 03:49:51 PM »
No surprise... FL is #1, CO is #3, CA and IL are middle of the pack (25 & 28), and WV and KY (48 & 50) are bringing up the rear. 

Surprising.... South Dakota at #2, Iowa at #7 and Wisconsin charting in at #12.... ahead of SC (18), AZ (14) and TX (20). 

Maybe snow isn’t so bad, after all.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

warriorchick

• All American
Re: Best States For Retirement
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 04:15:29 PM »
No surprise... FL is #1, CO is #3, CA and IL are middle of the pack (25 & 28), and WV and KY (48 & 50) are bringing up the rear. 

Surprising.... South Dakota at #2, Iowa at #7 and Wisconsin charting in at #12.... ahead of SC (18), AZ (14) and TX (20). 

Maybe snow isn’t so bad, after all.

This doesn't tell us anything if we don't know the criteria and how each one was weighted.

Do you have a link?

Have some patience, FFS.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2019, 04:59:37 PM »
This doesn't tell us anything if we don't know the criteria and how each one was weighted.

Do you have a link?

It's Benny approved.   Dont need no link.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 05:27:20 PM »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2019, 05:34:40 PM »
The only state in the top 20 for all three categories....UTAH.  Also was high high on our list.

California 34th for affordability....that made me laugh.  Yes, there are parts of California that are really cheap and all the meth you can want, along with brutal heat and poverty.  Anywhere desirable, forget it.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2019, 05:50:14 PM »
Honestly, any ranking by state is basically garbage.

Take Illinois, for instance.  Your experience retiring in Wilmette is going to be very different than your experience retiring in Cairo or East St. Louis.

The only thing that is truly comparable state-by-state is climate and state tax burden.
Have some patience, FFS.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2019, 06:01:02 PM »
The only state in the top 20 for all three categories....UTAH.  Also was high high on our list.

My son is moving to SLC after he graduates. He and I are going to have a good old fashioned father-son road trip out there first week of July.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2019, 06:09:13 PM »
My son is moving to SLC after he graduates. He and I are going to have a good old fashioned father-son road trip out there first week of July.

Make sure you spend some time in Park City while you are out there.  It's probably the most un-Mormonly place in the area.
Have some patience, FFS.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2019, 06:10:36 PM »

My son was down to Utah, Pitt, Syracuse, Marquette in his last four to decide on school.  SLC was great when we visited. Enjoyed it a lot.   30 minutes from Park City.  I highly recommend doing the Olympic Bobsled run.  Well worth it.  Total blast.  In the winter it is the real deal on ice, but in the Summer about 10mph slower on wheels...still great.

An Olympian in training will drive.....you friggin move.  It rocks.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/GNYJUmBqz5c" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/GNYJUmBqz5c</a>

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2019, 08:50:51 PM »

True. I'm in Naples and I wouldn't trade it for any place in the states - but there are places in Florida I'd want no part of.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2019, 10:29:07 PM »

Yep yep.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2019, 12:14:19 AM »
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2019, 08:21:58 AM »
Yahoo was reporting on Wallethub .. so here's the primary link:

https://wallethub.com/edu/best-and-worst-states-to-retire/18592/

Lots of criteria there, although each person would have their own weightings.  I mean, "weather" but only kicks in 2.6% of the total.   I think for most people, weather is anywhere between 50-90% of their decision.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2019, 09:06:26 AM »
Weather is it.  For the first time, my wife and I discussed the possibility of being snowbirds.   She increasingly struggles with cold.   I used to mock the notion.  Now I see I may have to do it for my wife's health.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2019, 09:14:59 AM »
California 34th for affordability....that made me laugh.  Yes, there are parts of California that are really cheap and all the meth you can want, along with brutal heat and poverty.  Anywhere desirable, forget it.

That is quite the statement.  There are plenty of nice places in California that are nice and relatively inexpensive.  A good friend of mine owns a nice plot of land with an ocean view near Eureka, and it wasn't anymore expensive than a lake lot in northern Wisconsin. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2019, 09:44:01 AM »

That is quite the statement.  There are plenty of nice places in California that are nice and relatively inexpensive.  A good friend of mine owns a nice plot of land with an ocean view near Eureka, and it wasn't anymore expensive than a lake lot in northern Wisconsin.

Average home prices in Eureka are 2.3X higher than northern Wisconsin per Zillow.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2019, 09:50:44 AM »
Average home prices in Eureka are 2.3X higher than northern Wisconsin per Zillow.

Are you comparing land "near" Eureka with lakefront property in northern Wisconsin?  Because there is plenty of really cheap housing in small towns up north.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2019, 10:12:05 AM »

Are you comparing land "near" Eureka with lakefront property in northern Wisconsin?  Because there is plenty of really cheap housing in small towns up north.

Broadly comparing.  I agree with you that there are pockets anywhere of goodness all over the place.  In general, Calif is very expensive and the places that are cheap, generally speaking, are less desirable....not a surprise as that dynamic is consistent in many places in the country.  We have a tremendous tax and poverty issue in this state, along with a meth epidemic that is something to be seen.  Very difficult for the middle class.  I am rather surprised at the rankings to be blunt. 

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2019, 10:44:45 AM »
Yahoo was reporting on Wallethub .. so here's the primary link:

https://wallethub.com/edu/best-and-worst-states-to-retire/18592/

Lots of criteria there, although each person would have their own weightings.  I mean, "weather" but only kicks in 2.6% of the total.   I think for most people, weather is anywhere between 50-90% of their decision.

This suggests Ohio

https://locations.arbys.com/oh.html

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2019, 01:54:09 PM »
Make sure you spend some time in Park City while you are out there.  It's probably the most un-Mormonly place in the area.

SLC was great when we visited. Enjoyed it a lot.   30 minutes from Park City.  I highly recommend doing the Olympic Bobsled run.  Well worth it.  Total blast.  In the winter it is the real deal on ice, but in the Summer about 10mph slower on wheels...still great.

An Olympian in training will drive.....you friggin move.  It rocks.

We'll have to try go get out there.  I know my son went to Park City several times when he was working in SLC last summer and loved it.  Some of the people he worked with actually live there and make the drive to SLC every day.

The bobsled would be fun.  I hope we have some time to explore a little bit and get to Park City, but we might be fairly busy moving him into his new place (which he still hasn't found...fingers crossed).

My son ran into Grayson Allen in Park City.  Fortunately, Allen didn't trip him.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2019, 07:44:25 PM »
Weather is it.  For the first time, my wife and I discussed the possibility of being snowbirds.   She increasingly struggles with cold.   I used to mock the notion.  Now I see I may have to do it for my wife's health.

Birding is great tower. When it's 55 in Summerlin and the locals have on a freaking Goose & Uggs and I'm wearing a light sweatshirt. Plus the sun is out.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2019, 07:50:38 PM »
We'll have to try go get out there.  I know my son went to Park City several times when he was working in SLC last summer and loved it.  Some of the people he worked with actually live there and make the drive to SLC every day.

The bobsled would be fun.  I hope we have some time to explore a little bit and get to Park City, but we might be fairly busy moving him into his new place (which he still hasn't found...fingers crossed).

My son ran into Grayson Allen in Park City.  Fortunately, Allen didn't trip him.

Walk to the top of Main Street and score yourself a Pologmy Porter.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2019, 01:28:39 AM »
True. I'm in Naples and I wouldn't trade it for any place in the states - but there are places in Florida I'd want no part of.

If you know anyone who is a member at Calusa Pines, you gotta play it. Same thing with The Concession up the road in Bradenton. Two of the top5 courses in Florida.

Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2019, 07:37:47 AM »
Sister Chick is right about these polls being garbage. Much depends on what you want in your retirement.

My wife and I went to the Treasure Coast of Florida for part of the year (October to May). I still work remotely and we’re able to get a very pleasant winter. Our town has a vibrant arts and entertainment community, restaurants that could stand up to major metro communities and we’re less than two hours from three major airports. Spring training is less than an hour away.

Oh, and down here, we get FS1 and most of the Warrior games, which is an absolute must for me.

If you want seasons, we have three here. Snowbird, summer and hurricane. That’s why we’re back in Chicago in May.

My parents, in sharp contrast, retired to Douglas County, WI. They originally were from up there (it’s furthest northwest point in the state), apparently thought snow was a gift from God and had stayed close to several of their best friends in high school. Douglas County is gorgeous in summer and wicked in winter. But people like that.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2019, 08:04:31 AM »
Walk to the top of Main Street and score yourself a Pologmy Porter.

This.  And wear your MU gear, since Wasatch Brewery was started by an MU grad.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.