[Today at 08:17:02 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by bilsu
[Today at 07:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Best States For Retirement  (Read 10651 times)

Coleman

• All American
Re: Best States For Retirement
« Reply #75 on: May 01, 2019, 03:55:30 PM »
Maybe "softer implicit" is the proper term, maybe not. I have talked at length with black friends about racism, north vs. south, etc. All agree racism is way more prevalent in the South - especially away from urban areas they assume everyone is racist. They understand this and need to act accordingly when down there. The racism in the north is more insidious to them because they say they don't know where they stand. They are never sure where or when they will encounter racism in the north. They know they will, but unlike the South, it hits them when they are not expecting it, which is more painful. As a matter of fact, a couple friends said it was easier dealing with in when they lived down south. IOW, racism is everywhere, it just manifests itself differently in different areas of the country.

And to a man (or woman) they all agree it has gotten worse for them in the last two years - both north and south.

Interesting perspectives. Thanks for sharing. It kind of reminds me of the old "Green Book" days. Boundaries were very clearly spelled out, but people knew where they stood. I'm not sure that's necessarily better or worse, but it is an interesting perspective.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #76 on: May 01, 2019, 03:56:00 PM »
Redlining and white flight are (two of many) symptoms of racism.

Of course they are racist.  I didn't say they aren't.

What I said was that there was more to segregation than white people choosing to live in a less diverse school district.
Have some patience, FFS.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #77 on: May 01, 2019, 07:13:22 PM »
The Midwest has lots of racism. No doubt about it. But it is a softer implicit racism than a lot of the blatant stuff in the south.

Obviously, certain parts of the South are changing as more people move there (Atlanta, Austin, Nashville, Charlotte, etc.). But there are still backwater racist areas all over Mississippi, Alabama, and rural areas. Let's not deny reality.

Charlotte is plenty racist.

Schools have been segregated again.

Upward mobility for people of color ranks 49th out of 50 major cities.

Owner of the football team had to sell because he made racist (and sexist) comments.

Poll done a couple years back showed more thought "reverse racism" was a problem than actual racism.

Many neighborhoods named So-And-So Plantation.

Etc.

But yeah, I'm guessing Charlotte (and Raleigh-Durham) is less racist (if that's a thing) than other parts of North Carolina, as most of this state is still very much Old South.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #78 on: May 01, 2019, 07:28:01 PM »
I have a related rule: I accept the first round being on somebody else - ha!

find out if that free flight is still hangin out there too...all that's missing is a caddy, eyn'a?
don't...don't don't don't don't

MU82

• All American
« Reply #79 on: May 01, 2019, 07:33:18 PM »
find out if that free flight is still hangin out there too...all that's missing is a caddy, eyn'a?

Great idea about the flight.

With my golf game, I don't deserve a caddy.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #80 on: May 01, 2019, 08:13:23 PM »
As someone who, like Brother MU82, has lived both in the south and Midwest,  I would quickly argue that no region has the corner on either racism or righteousness. Racism perhaps was more overt in the South than in the Midwest, but Dr. King once commented that some of the most racist people he ever encountered were on the south side of Chicago.

What I feel good about is that we're changing. Perhaps not fast enough, but our acceptance and appreciation of our brothers and sisters who look, act or worship differently has grown exponentially. I see things in my children that I never would have imagined a decade or two ago. The things that probably set our parents' generation off seem not to bother our children in the least.

So when we talk about the south -- and having grown up in Nashville, I could talk about virtues and vices of the south all day (right Sister Chick?) -- so give the region a break. Bull Connor, George Wallace and Ross Barnett have been dead a long, long time. We've evolved and have a long way to go yet.

Those of us who ultimately choose Florida (the subject of this thread) are not racists and are not running from something to which we object. Likewise, the folks in the Midwest aren't inherently objectionable because of a common view about differences in the region. That common view does not exist. Like I said, we have progress yet to make. But we're working on it!

P.S. -- A lot of people still eat gator meat and wear alligator shoes in Florida! At least they're not white shoes!

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #81 on: May 01, 2019, 09:02:58 PM »
As someone who, like Brother MU82, has lived both in the south and Midwest,  I would quickly argue that no region has the corner on either racism or righteousness. Racism perhaps was more overt in the South than in the Midwest, but Dr. King once commented that some of the most racist people he ever encountered were on the south side of Chicago.

What I feel good about is that we're changing. Perhaps not fast enough, but our acceptance and appreciation of our brothers and sisters who look, act or worship differently has grown exponentially. I see things in my children that I never would have imagined a decade or two ago. The things that probably set our parents' generation off seem not to bother our children in the least.

So when we talk about the south -- and having grown up in Nashville, I could talk about virtues and vices of the south all day (right Sister Chick?) -- so give the region a break. Bull Connor, George Wallace and Ross Barnett have been dead a long, long time. We've evolved and have a long way to go yet.

Those of us who ultimately choose Florida (the subject of this thread) are not racists and are not running from something to which we object. Likewise, the folks in the Midwest aren't inherently objectionable because of a common view about differences in the region. That common view does not exist. Like I said, we have progress yet to make. But we're working on it!

P.S. -- A lot of people still eat gator meat and wear alligator shoes in Florida! At least they're not white shoes!

Well written, dgies. Lots of work to be done yet, but things are getting better.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #82 on: May 01, 2019, 09:52:13 PM »
Great idea about the flight.

With my golf game, I don't deserve a caddy.

No need for a caddy, Mike. You can ride in my very own Blue and Gold seated golf cart. Wife gave me the new seats for my 70th birthday last September.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #83 on: May 02, 2019, 09:32:42 AM »
No need for a caddy, Mike. You can ride in my very own Blue and Gold seated golf cart. Wife gave me the new seats for my 70th birthday last September.

What a wife!

A friend of mine proudly displayed his MU socks at our National Marquette Day event this past Feb, and I hinted strongly that something like that would be a great Father's Day present. We'll see if my wife and kids get the hint.

Yes, I'm starting with a less-than-$20 gift. I think it's gonna take a while to work myself up to golf cart seats! (Especially since I don't own a golf cart.)

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #84 on: May 07, 2019, 03:05:56 PM »
You have to admit that playing the Florida Man game is fun.

You Google "Florida Man" plus your birth date and month and share the first news headline that pops up.

Mine is  "Florida Man Shot in Buttocks Over Political Argument on Facebook".

Glow's is:  "Florida man tells cops he didn't drink while driving, only at stop signs".

How have I never heard of this?

Mine was:  Florida Man Threatens to Kill Neighbors With Machete Named 'Kindness'
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #85 on: May 10, 2019, 09:49:56 AM »
"Florida man accused of stabbing wife over underdone potato."

I suppose she had it coming... he did ask for the rice pilaf.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #86 on: May 10, 2019, 12:09:58 PM »
Come to Naples - I liked southeastern Florida, had been there many times. One visit to southwestern Florida and I was hooked. Bought a place, sold the house in Chicago, moved lock, stock and barrel. Hot in the summer, yes, but Naples had NEVER recorded a 100 degree temp (I remember many in Chicago). We travel a lot in the summer. I'm feeling a beer/meat summit here next winter.

Bonita Springs I like better...maybe we will have to have that beer after all.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #87 on: May 10, 2019, 12:12:12 PM »
The Midwest has lots of racism. No doubt about it. But it is a softer implicit racism than a lot of the blatant stuff in the south.

Obviously, certain parts of the South are changing as more people move there (Atlanta, Austin, Nashville, Charlotte, etc.). But there are still backwater racist areas all over Mississippi, Alabama, and rural areas. Let's not deny reality.

Let’s not deny reality that anyone can be racist, including minorities.  Come out here to East LA and you can be woke within a few hours of witnessing it. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #88 on: May 10, 2019, 03:14:35 PM »
Let’s not deny reality that anyone can be racist, including minorities

There it is!

The scourge of reverse racism strikes again.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #89 on: May 10, 2019, 07:02:38 PM »
There it is!

Not sure why it would matter who is doing it or pretending it doesn’t happen, but much like you do with crime where people steal welfare or other examples here over the years, you apparently only care about certain people committing crimes or acting in this matter.  Very odd.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #90 on: May 10, 2019, 08:27:29 PM »
Not sure why it would matter who is doing it or pretending it doesn’t happen, but much like you do with crime where people steal welfare or other examples here over the years, you apparently only care about certain people committing crimes or acting in this matter.  Very odd.

Y'all don't know what it's like
Being male, middle-class and white

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #91 on: May 11, 2019, 10:25:00 PM »
Bonita Springs I like better...maybe we will have to have that beer after all.

Bonita Springs ie nice, but not a whole lot of "there" there IMHO. PM me whenever you're headed this way - first round is on me.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #92 on: May 12, 2019, 08:25:17 PM »
There it is!

Must not be many Eastern Europeans in Carolina, ayn’a?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #93 on: May 13, 2019, 01:46:57 PM »
Brother JWags figured it out. I am in Vero Beach.

We bought a home on the tail end of the last recession and have owned here for five years. Vero is one of the nicest communities on the east coast of Florida. We have several significant nature preserves here and an unbelievably good set of beaches. Wabasso Beach is practically out my front door (actually about 1/4 of a mile away as I noted before).

The Indian River County Jungle Trail is in my backyard. We've had "problems" with river otters rolling through our front yard not to mention land crab migration that ended up in my hallway in November (that was fun because none of knew what it was). The good news about being on a barrier island is no alligators -- they hate salt water and the Indian River is brackish. We have dolphins and manatees in the Indian River, which also is kinda cool to watch. And, we have owls nesting in the window sills on my home.

All in all, I'd recommend Vero to anyone looking!

P.S. -- When it was -30 in Chicago in late January, it was in the mid 70s to low 80s here. People locally were complaining about how it was too warm!

STFU.  I am in the same area and I like the peace and quiet.  Don't listen to djiegs.  This area stinks.  Go away.  Alaska is far better.

Obviously, just kidding.  I'll trust more Scoopers, but don't tell anyone else.

feedback