[Today at 06:21:27 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by The Lens
[Today at 05:12:28 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Help on the way for 19/20?  (Read 74564 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: Help on the way for 19/20?
« Reply #175 on: April 25, 2019, 03:55:19 PM »
Oh I get it now.

The military invented the acronym FUBAR...
So you are going with that theme for MU Hoops ‘19-‘20.

Have fun rooting for Becky. You can have the quitters.

BOHICA
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #176 on: April 25, 2019, 03:55:42 PM »
I'm really not sure what anyone has against Yeboah. He is athletic. A capable shooter. A good defender. Basic and advanced stats both indicate he'd be a solid player at this level.

The Drexel guy I get the hesitation. Not sure why there is so much hesitation for Yeboah

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #177 on: April 25, 2019, 05:19:15 PM »
I'm really not sure what anyone has against Yeboah. He is athletic. A capable shooter. A good defender. Basic and advanced stats both indicate he'd be a solid player at this level.

The Drexel guy I get the hesitation. Not sure why there is so much hesitation for Yeboah

Cuz lots of posters are actively rooting for Wojo to fail?  You know ....... the real fans.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #178 on: April 25, 2019, 05:39:50 PM »
Jockey

I think you are way off base thinking people want Wojo to fail. I have voiced my displeasure and concerns about Wojo and still am concerned he can get it done. That said, aside from Dukiet’s last season, I have never wanted a coach or team to fail.

I do not doubt there are folks on here that may take pleasure if Wojo failed, I am not one of them. Have said many times over the past three years, I would be extremely happy to say I was flat out wrong about Wojo.

When I saw the proposed bet with guru and sand knut, I thought guru was making a mistake. Why would anyone want to win that bet on his side. While I think he would win, I sure hope not.

Lastly, I do think some on here make wild judgements about folks they do not know. I am guilty of that and definitely have a bias against certain posters. So, for all the wildly supportive Wojo backers, I hope you prove me wrong.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 05:43:23 PM by Goose »

muguru

• All American
« Reply #179 on: April 25, 2019, 05:40:11 PM »

I have nothing against him but I'd like them to aim higher..he's about 4th on my list right now behind Blackshear, Juiston and Johnson
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #180 on: April 25, 2019, 05:51:14 PM »
I have nothing against him but I'd like them to aim higher..he's about 4th on my list right now behind Blackshear, Juiston and Johnson

And I think that is completely fair. But we have 3 spots open.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #181 on: April 25, 2019, 06:18:18 PM »
Jockey

I think you are way off base thinking people want Wojo to fail. I have voiced my displeasure and concerns about Wojo and still am concerned he can get it done. That said, aside from Dukiet’s last season, I have never wanted a coach or team to fail.

I do not doubt there are folks on here that may take pleasure if Wojo failed, I am not one of them. Have said many times over the past three years, I would be extremely happy to say I was flat out wrong about Wojo.

When I saw the proposed bet with guru and sand knut, I thought guru was making a mistake. Why would anyone want to win that bet on his side. While I think he would win, I sure hope not.

Lastly, I do think some on here make wild judgements about folks they do not know. I am guilty of that and definitely have a bias against certain posters. So, for all the wildly supportive Wojo backers, I hope you prove me wrong.

Goose, you weren’t one of the posters I was referencing. I,too, am still not convinced Wojo is the answer. While I still support him, that could easily change if we end up being an NIT team this year. At this point, he needs to at least make the dance PLUS have a great 2020 recruiting year for me to stay fully on board.

But I stand by my statement that there are numerous posters here actively rooting for him to fail. Certainly nowhere near a majority, but still a substantial number.

I hope he has success this year and many more to come.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #182 on: April 25, 2019, 06:30:13 PM »
Jockey

Sorry, but when there are people here that flat out say they want Wojo fired and now, that means they are rooting for him to fail.  How can it be interpreted any other way?   In the past we have had people here say things like they hope we lose to quicken the process...not under this coach, under previous coaches.  But I fail to see how posters can say they want Wojo gone NOW and somehow also argue they want him to succeed.  Those two are incongruent in my opinion.

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Goose

• All American
« Reply #183 on: April 25, 2019, 06:41:20 PM »
Cheeks

I would fall into camp that Wojo could or should be replaced. Fact is, he was not. I have no interest in program going backwards to prove me right. Time for Wojo and program to take bigger steps forward. I would far prefer Wojo to succeed than flounder.

I have always respected your opinion on here, even when I flat out disagreed with you. Your idea of success is different than mine and I accept that.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #184 on: April 25, 2019, 06:48:33 PM »
Cheeks

I would fall into camp that Wojo could or should be replaced. Fact is, he was not. I have no interest in program going backwards to prove me right. Time for Wojo and program to take bigger steps forward. I would far prefer Wojo to succeed than flounder.

I have always respected your opinion on here, even when I flat out disagreed with you. Your idea of success is different than mine and I accept that.

I'm not saying you were one of those people, but there are others that have called for immediate removal.  The statement here made by several is NO ONE IS SAYING they want Wojo to fail.

I strongly disagree, there are people here that do.

You are correct, we do have different views of success.  I base mine on pragmatic realities of the 2000's and having worked in college athletics.  It isn't 1970's anymore, Milwaukee is not an easy place to recruit to, the world has changed considerably.  That doesn't mean I don't think we can be more successful than we have been, it also doesn't mean in a given year we can't go far in a tournament, or in most years compete and be a top 25 school.  I think that's successful. I get the sense not everyone agrees with that definition.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #185 on: April 25, 2019, 07:31:47 PM »

Goose

• All American
« Reply #186 on: April 25, 2019, 07:57:25 PM »
Cheeks

We have NEVER had a better chance on recruiting than we currently do. The Greek Freak, national attention and new arena are great selling tools. I would swing for the fences while we have this window.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #187 on: April 25, 2019, 08:00:56 PM »

You are high on Jayce Johnson?  Theo's backup.  Would rather have Skogman.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #188 on: April 25, 2019, 08:02:32 PM »
Cheeks,

You are correct,  many here are rooting for Wojo to fail.  Their mind is made up.  Others talk out of both sides of their mouths on the issue.   

With regard to definition of success, the 70s boys think you are either competing for National Championships every year (or very close to it) or you are a failure.   

What they fail to understand is that in order for that to happen, we need to 1) catch lightning in a bottle and hire the next Al McGuire or 2) we are going to have to hire a coach that may not have the initial impact they yearn for but who learns on the job, improves year to year and stays for a long time.   

Goose

• All American
« Reply #189 on: April 25, 2019, 08:13:14 PM »
Shooter

The ‘70’s guys do not think that. We do think that the program can have far greater success. It has been seven years without a tourney win. I would say we are a great balance, of knowing what a great program looks like with reasonable expectations for a program with our history.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #190 on: April 25, 2019, 08:15:27 PM »
Cheeks

We have NEVER had a better chance on recruiting than we currently do. The Greek Freak, national attention and new arena are great selling tools. I would swing for the fences while we have this window.

I’m not sure how the Greek Freak matters one iota.  Does Houston recruit better because Harden is in town?  Cal to be a power because of Curry?  USC because LeBron is in town?  Because they play in the same building?  I would put that way down the list of reasons why kids go anywhere which is exactly why so many programs without the hint of a nba team within 100 miles do very well.

If the NCAA trial is true and UNC, DUkE, KU, UK are shoveling dollars....why does it matter to swing for the fences as we have no chance.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #191 on: April 25, 2019, 08:22:47 PM »
cheeks

If you do not know how the Freak, National Buzz and great atmosphere would help with recruits, you obviously were in a closet during your time in collegiate athletics. I am a 55y man that has seen a lot of greatness and find him must see TV. If a kid dreaming about the show did not want to be exposed to that up close and personal, I would be shocked.

Have to admit, you are consistent. While I love you on scoop, respect you as a man, I am glad you are not running our program.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #192 on: April 25, 2019, 08:26:26 PM »
Just stacked the cooler with a limit of walleye
Good to see bitches havent changed
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #193 on: April 25, 2019, 08:27:16 PM »
cheeks

If you do not know how the Freak, National Buzz and great atmosphere would help with recruits, you obviously were in a closet during your time in collegiate athletics. I am a 55y man that has seen a lot of greatness and find him must see TV. If a kid dreaming about the show did not want to be exposed to that up close and personal, I would be shocked.

Have to admit, you are consistent. While I love you on scoop, respect you as a man, I am glad you are not running our program.

Wow young fella'!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

Goose

• All American
« Reply #194 on: April 25, 2019, 08:33:19 PM »
Vegas

Feeling old on this site.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #195 on: April 25, 2019, 08:57:06 PM »
Shooter

The ‘70’s guys do not think that. We do think that the program can have far greater success. It has been seven years without a tourney win. I would say we are a great balance, of knowing what a great program looks like with reasonable expectations for a program with our history.

Ultimately my definition of success is better than what has happened the last five years as well.  Personally a Buzz level of success would be my preference with a random final four thrown in once in a while.  I believed wojo was building toward that type of success with the success this year (even with the collapse) and the promise of next year (both 2019/2020 upcoming results and recruiting class).   Have to admit the Hausers leaving took some of my optimism away.  But I still think the jury is out.  Wojo has the chance to deliver on both post season success next year and a big time recruiting class.  If he doesn’t, I will be with you. 

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #196 on: April 25, 2019, 08:59:19 PM »
Vegas

You're not that old...  I don't get involved with the day-to-day BS on this site - not worth it.  I come on here mostly for recruiting information.  Rick was a friend of the family.  I knew him since I was in sixth grade (1966).  Saw him start (and was part of) his coaching career at St. Sebastian's.  Played ball at Neeskara during the summers as he organized games.  After the games we would go down to Horkie's drug store (on Vliet St.) where he charged 3 cents per glass of water.  When some of the Buck's players came to play I just sat in awe!  The good old days...  I have no inside info about MU today.  Had some back in the good old days. I could tell some stories.  Times change...

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #197 on: April 25, 2019, 08:59:57 PM »
Vegas

Lol I'm older than you and feel younger. But to the point, there are lots here that would rather have it all burn down because they think the grass will grow greener. A very big gamble that can easily backfire.
Goal is National Championship

Goose

• All American
« Reply #198 on: April 25, 2019, 09:04:49 PM »
Vegas

Sent you a PM

Goose

• All American
« Reply #199 on: April 25, 2019, 09:25:29 PM »
News

Knock on wood, I still feel like I am 25. Maybe I am crazy, but think the anti Wojo guys love MU ball big time and want a better program. One common theme, non of us believe the program cannot be great again. Simple fact, it is a nice program. More progress is needed for a bit in from this guy.