Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Help on the way for 19/20?  (Read 74269 times)

hairy worthen

• All American
Re: Help on the way for 19/20?
« Reply #150 on: April 25, 2019, 07:41:46 AM »
Very well said, Goose.

The casual acceptance of mediocrity is bizarre. I guess that's why there is a market for things like Spam and Busch Beer in this world.
It’s more than settling for mediocrity. It’s coming up with crazy convoluted statistics to try and prove everything is ok. It’s rationalizing losing two of the best players on the team as a good thing and saying MU will be quicker and better defensively. It’s saying everything is ok because we can easily replace the points and rebounds with several lesser players. Claiming that the Hauser’s were too slow and transfers happen all the time.  Absolutely ridiculous. I am not saying the world is coming to an end either and I hope the coaches can hold it together, but face the reality and gravity of the situation.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #151 on: April 25, 2019, 07:44:01 AM »
First of all, I call BS...it's not going to happen, but if MU landed Blackshear and Juiston they would be projected to be as good. Second, even if that isn't attainable, you HAVE to try to get as close to that as possible.That means getting the best players you possibly can. It's irresponsible to do otherwise.

Third...Jon is right, the acceptance of mediocrity on this board is incredible and quite frankly, it wears me out. I just don't get it, at all.

First, you can call BS all you want but it doesn't make it true. Sam is better than Blackshear and Joey is either almost or as good as Juiston and both fit our needs better than either of those grad transfers do.

Second, who says they aren't trying? The only list for Blackshear has been a quote from his dad "name a school and they've reached out" and there's been no list for Juiston. Blackshear is testing the NBA waters first and Juiston has said he's waiting until after he graduates to do anything. Do you think it is wise for the staff to wait and do nothing in the mean time?

Third, who is accepting mediocrity? Mediocrity would be not going after any grad transfers because the staff is happy with who we have. Instead, we are going after at least 2 of the top 5 players at a position of need (and top 4 of players at a position of need that haven't been arrested multiple times).
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #152 on: April 25, 2019, 07:54:10 AM »
It’s more than settling for mediocrity. It’s coming up with crazy convoluted statistics to try and prove everything is ok. It’s rationalizing losing two of the best players on the team as a good thing and saying MU will be quicker and better defensively. It’s saying everything is ok because we can easily replace the points and rebounds with several lesser players. Claiming that the Hauser’s were too slow and transfers happen all the time.  Absolutely ridiculous. I am not saying the world is coming to an end either and I hope the coaches can hold it together, but face the reality and gravity of the situation.

I don't think I've seen anyone say that losing the Hausers is good thing. Pretty sure that's universally bad. Marquette will be quicker and better defensively, that's just reality but that won't make up for what we lost on offense and the boards.

I also don't think anyone is saying the Hausers will easily be replaced. What I have seen is people who have accepted the reality of the situation and are trying to identify what needs to happen for us to be successful moving forward.

The reality and gravity of the situation is that instead of being projected as a top 10 team we will be projected as a top 35ish team (unless we sign on some more help). It sucks, is disappointing, and personally I won't be satisfied if that's where we finish. Wojo and staff have a lot of work to do and will either need to get more talent to Milwaukee or will need to get the team to be more than the sum of its parts (something they haven't done in the first 5 years). I hope for Marquette's sake that they are up to the task.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #153 on: April 25, 2019, 08:12:11 AM »
Very well said, Goose.

The casual acceptance of mediocrity is bizarre. I guess that's why there is a market for things like Spam and Busch Beer in this world.

Who's accepting mediocrity?

It's accepting that next year's team could be short of bodies, and since it doesn't look as though the top grad transfers are interested in MU, that means going to second tier guys who will primarily provide depth.

Guru is at least coming up with ideas.  Instead of complaining, what do you think Wojo should do in the next couple of months to improve the team for next year?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 08:26:12 AM by Fluffy Blue Monster »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #154 on: April 25, 2019, 08:13:52 AM »

Outside of a couple people, such as Sand Knit, hardly anyone is saying any of the above.  There is an almost universal consensus that losing the Hausers was a bad thing.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #155 on: April 25, 2019, 08:45:47 AM »
Everything was not ok. I am not sure of the timing of the letter, but I got the impression it was after the Villanova loss. Whenever it happen the team fell apart. The Hausers simply tanked team unity and anyone who thinks. players writing a letter and asking other team players to sign it was a good idea, just is not recognizing the damage it did to the team.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #156 on: April 25, 2019, 11:08:39 AM »
Losing the Hausers hurt.  But the program didn't shut down.  Suck it up.   What can be expected and how best can those who chose to stay be utilized?

It is like golf.  If you hit it in the rough/woods/sand, do you start whining and accept your 8?   Good, I want to play you because I see those as part of life and an opportunity for a recovery shot that I will tell you about for years as I make a 4 or 5.

It was a bad day.  Quit acting like it was the end of the world.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 11:17:07 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #157 on: April 25, 2019, 11:30:42 AM »
I don't think I've seen anyone say that losing the Hausers is good thing. Pretty sure that's universally bad. Marquette will be quicker and better defensively, that's just reality but that won't make up for what we lost on offense and the boards.

I also don't think anyone is saying the Hausers will easily be replaced. What I have seen is people who have accepted the reality of the situation and are trying to identify what needs to happen for us to be successful moving forward.

The reality and gravity of the situation is that instead of being projected as a top 10 team we will be projected as a top 35ish team (unless we sign on some more help). It sucks, is disappointing, and personally I won't be satisfied if that's where we finish. Wojo and staff have a lot of work to do and will either need to get more talent to Milwaukee or will need to get the team to be more than the sum of its parts (something they haven't done in the first 5 years). I hope for Marquette's sake that they are up to the task.

To set the record straight, at least one Scooper does keep saying that losing the Hausers was a good thing. Maybe you couldn't see that, TAMU, because each of his profanity-filled, logic-deprived posts was so filled with misspellings and factual errors they were hard to understand.

There might be another Scooper or two who are making similar arguments as well.

Otherwise, your post is spot-on.

The Hausers aren't walking back through that door. So as tower aptly put it, either we mope around and accept that we are going to have our worst round of golf ever, or we scramble to find a way to still make something good out of it.

So we get it, the Hausers are gone and we almost certainly will not be able to replace their shooting and rebounding this season.

This post and a couple others are about moving forward. There are plenty of threads available for us to rehash who was to blame and to pine about the good ol' days of Sam and Joey.

They're gone. Now it's up to Wojo to do what you say in your last paragraph, TAMU. Like you, I'm skeptical of his ability to do it, but I'm also hopeful because we do still have some talent and we hopefully have more coming in.

Or we can use every thread, even the hopeful, forward-looking ones, to bash Wojo for losing Sam and Joey.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 12:49:34 PM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #158 on: April 25, 2019, 12:03:54 PM »
First, you can call BS all you want but it doesn't make it true. Sam is better than Blackshear and Joey is either almost or as good as Juiston and both fit our needs better than either of those grad transfers do.

One of the few times I’ll disagree with you.

Blackshear is clearly better than Sam. And I don’t think it’s even close. Cal wants Blackshear at Kentucky- he ain’t even looking at Sam.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #159 on: April 25, 2019, 12:06:25 PM »

Blackshear is clearly better than Sam. And I don’t think it’s even close. Cal wants Blackshear at Kentucky- he ain’t even looking at Sam.

Cal isn't really in the business of wasting a scholarship on a kid that won't play for a year.  I am sure he'd love to have Sam if he was immediately eligible.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #160 on: April 25, 2019, 12:22:03 PM »

Exactly, I loved Sam, but Blackshear IS better and you're right, it's not really close.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #161 on: April 25, 2019, 12:27:46 PM »
Cal isn't really in the business of wasting a scholarship on a kid that won't play for a year.  I am sure he'd love to have Sam if he was immediately eligible.

He seldom uses them all. Sitting Sam and Joey would not affect roster makeup.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #162 on: April 25, 2019, 12:42:52 PM »
Looks like help is on the way. Pay careful attention to this tweet:

https://twitter.com/marquettembb/status/1121447177346273280?s=21
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Marquette4life

• All American
« Reply #163 on: April 25, 2019, 12:48:43 PM »

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #164 on: April 25, 2019, 12:49:13 PM »
Symir's name listed under Freshmen.  Nice....
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Marquette4life

• All American
« Reply #165 on: April 25, 2019, 12:49:31 PM »
Symir's name listed under Freshmen.  Nice....
redshirt

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #166 on: April 25, 2019, 12:52:16 PM »
Got him in the door and on campus. 
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Marquette4life

• All American
« Reply #167 on: April 25, 2019, 12:56:49 PM »
Got him in the door and on campus.
who

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #168 on: April 25, 2019, 01:31:06 PM »
Guru, there is no situation, no combination of immediately eligible players, where Marquette will be projected to be as good as or better than they were with the Hausers. That ship has sailed. Sam is better than anyone on the grad transfer list. Joey is better than most. Even if we landed Blackshear and Juiston we would still be projected to be worse than when we had the Hausers. That is reality.

If Marquette is going to be as good as they expected to be pre-Hausers, they will have to outperform their projections on paper. Fortunately, that's why basketball is played on the court and not on paper.

Back to the grad transfers, I'm liking this Yeboah kid more and more. Ran the defensive numbers on him....they are niiiiiice. His defense is actually better than his offense and his offense is pretty darn good. Question will be how he translates his game to the high major level. A 6'6" 235 lbs, I could very easily see him winning the battle for starting PF.

Demir, defense is even worse than I would have guessed. As others have said, flat footed and slow. Still don't mind him as a depth pick up, but I would be surprised if he ended up being more than a 7th or 8th player in the rotation.
I think MU will be better / as good  post Hausergate. My reasoning is that the team chemistry will be better. Not because Hausers were bad guys . Rather ,Everyone will be very happy in their role. That job satisfaction leads to success as a team.

Also Greg Elliott is very keen on keeping all the various mouths fed when he is on the court and that helps a lot as well.  I think Greg and Jamal reunited will be a beautiful thing.

Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #169 on: April 25, 2019, 01:37:18 PM »
I think MU will be better / as good  post Hausergate. My reasoning is that the team chemistry will be better. Not because Hausers were bad guys . Rather ,Everyone will be very happy in their role. That job satisfaction leads to success as a team.

Also Greg Elliott is very keen on keeping all the various mouths fed when he is on the court and that helps a lot as well.  I think Greg and Jamal reunited will be a beautiful thing.

Wait ... you think we're gonna be better even though you have said multiple times in the last couple of weeks that Wojo can't coach and that he has lost the team?

Now you're saying a team coached by Wojo will be "united" and "happy" and "successful"?

Interesting.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #170 on: April 25, 2019, 02:00:30 PM »
Wait ... you think we're gonna be better even though you have said multiple times in the last couple of weeks that Wojo can't coach and that he has lost the team?

Now you're saying a team coached by Wojo will be "united" and "happy" and "successful"?

Interesting.

Cuz Stan will be doing the actual coaching and personnel decisions. Wojo will just be a figurehead.

Gotta keep up, brother.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #171 on: April 25, 2019, 02:05:01 PM »
the Turkish kid

The Stony Brook guy

These guys actually would both fit right away, and I’m truly not certain if we landed both if our drop-off would be much at all from pre-Hausergate.

YGBSM

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #172 on: April 25, 2019, 02:09:45 PM »

Goose

• All American
« Reply #173 on: April 25, 2019, 03:24:34 PM »
Crash

I needed a laugh today. Well done.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #174 on: April 25, 2019, 03:50:42 PM »
YGBSM

Oh I get it now.

The military invented the acronym FUBAR...
So you are going with that theme for MU Hoops ‘19-‘20.

Have fun rooting for Becky. You can have the quitters.

Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

feedback