[Today at 12:59:15 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Oldgym
[Today at 12:14:42 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Help on the way for 19/20?  (Read 74287 times)

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
Re: Help on the way for 19/20?
« Reply #100 on: April 24, 2019, 03:20:56 PM »
Tower

Two top bigger names are noted in this thread would be great fits. Blackshear and the kid TAMU noted. Both sound more elite, still available and offers mean nothing.

Those guys will literally have offers from more high majors than they won't have offers from, including many blue bloods.  Kentucky, Kansas, Arizona, etc., etc., will be in on these guys to some extent.  Its a pipedream expecting them to come to Milwaukee for a year. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #101 on: April 24, 2019, 03:21:53 PM »
I'm having a very difficult time understanding the downside of taking an immediately eligible player for one year.
Its really is a need and the staff is obviously looking.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #102 on: April 24, 2019, 03:22:46 PM »
What if the alternative is rolling the dice with potentially only nine scholarship players - four of them frontcourt players -  and pray that nobody gets hurt, despite logging way too many minutes?
That's not a super idea, IMO.
If one of those four gets hurt, I wonder who would be the first to complain that Wojo didn't recruit enough depth?

That’s what I’ve been saying since the news. Our 1st five is fine. Depth will be the issue.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #103 on: April 24, 2019, 03:31:57 PM »
I don't know why we just don't get Vernon Carey to decommit from Duke, Khalil Whitney to decommit from Kentucky and Cole Anthony to decommit from North Carolina, and all come to Marquette so we can win a national title.

Why are we messing with grad transfer retreads? They'll all suck, just like Matt Mooney did for Texas Tech last season. Steal away some of the top-10 recruits. Those schools have so much talent, they won't even mind, and I'm sure the NCAA would say it's OK.

But no ... Wojo will just settle for guys Marquette might actually be able to sign. Pathetic.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #104 on: April 24, 2019, 03:32:12 PM »
Tower

Two top bigger names are noted in this thread would be great fits. Blackshear and the kid TAMU noted. Both sound more elite, still available and offers mean nothing.

Well Blackshear just visited with Calipari and Izzo is kicking the tires now and MSU is close to preseason #1 and coming off another FF.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #105 on: April 24, 2019, 03:44:48 PM »
I don't know why we just don't get Vernon Carey to decommit from Duke, Khalil Whitney to decommit from Kentucky and Cole Anthony to decommit from North Carolina, and all come to Marquette so we can win a national title.

Why are we messing with grad transfer retreads? They'll all suck, just like Matt Mooney did for Texas Tech last season. Steal away some of the top-10 recruits. Those schools have so much talent, they won't even mind, and I'm sure the NCAA would say it's OK.

But no ... Wojo will just settle for guys Marquette might actually be able to sign. Pathetic.

The guru way!!

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #106 on: April 24, 2019, 03:50:26 PM »
I'm having a very difficult time understanding the downside of taking an immediately eligible player for one year.

There is none. Some people just want to complain.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #107 on: April 24, 2019, 04:21:59 PM »
MU has now posted the current 19-20 roster.  Walk-o s Buddy Jafee and Mike Lelito are not listed.  Tommy Gardiner is  listed.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #108 on: April 24, 2019, 04:22:15 PM »
The guru way!!

Listen...Wojo f'd up next years team by allowing the Hausers to leave when it very easily could have been fixed...the expectations(preseason top 10 etc), CANNOT change now because them leaving is on him. So he needs to do whatever it takes to make sure those expectations can be upheld. I have news for you...all of you..plugging Bailey and Cain in for Joey and Sam isn't going to make up for 25PPG/12 Rebounds per game that are leaving. So now, because those two become starters(hypothetically), and you're not getting the same production you would have gotten from the two starters that left..you have to have others fill in the rest of the production...so now you are essentially using 3-4 guys to fill in for the 25/12 that's leaving. By doing that, you are taking guys that would have been role players next year and anything they gave you was ab onus, and now they have to become starters and anything they give you will be NECESSARY.

So now that they are starters(and not at the same level as the one's that left), you have to find guys to fill their roles as back ups, therefore you eat into what would have been depth. So sure..sign the kid from Stony Brook, he can replace some of the depth that you are losing by now having to make depth guys starters. But there's still the gaping hole of a problem as to how you make up for 25/12 walking out that door. Two guys accounted for that before, you need two guys to cover that gap..so the best way to accomplish that is to bring in two guys from the outside that are legit proven guys..easier said then done, sure, but so what?? Wojo made this mess, he needs to fix it.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #109 on: April 24, 2019, 04:22:53 PM »
I have an idea. Wojo should just sign the top 2 or 3 grad transfers and then just sign the top 3 or 4 recruits for 2020.

Easy peasy.

That's why they call me Mr. Problem Solver!

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #110 on: April 24, 2019, 04:25:47 PM »
Listen...Wojo f'd up next years team by allowing the Hausers to leave when it very easily could have been fixed...the expectations(preseason top 10 etc), CANNOT change now because them leaving is on him. So he needs to do whatever it takes to make sure those expectations can be upheld. I have news for you...all of you..plugging Bailey and Cain in for Joey and Sam isn't going to make up for 25PPG/12 Rebounds per game that are leaving. So now, because those two become starters(hypothetically), and you're not getting the same production you would have gotten from the two starters that left..you have to have others fill in the rest of the production...so now you are essentially using 3-4 guys to fill in for the 25/12 that's leaving. By doing that, you are taking guys that would have been role players next year and anything they gave you was ab onus, and now they have to become starters and anything they give you will be NECESSARY.

So now that they are starters(and not at the same level as the one's that left), you have to find guys to fill their roles as back ups, therefore you eat into what would have been depth. So sure..sign the kid from Stony Brook, he can replace some of the depth that you are losing by now having to make depth guys starters. But there's still the gaping hole of a problem as to how you make up for 25/12 walking out that door. Two guys accounted for that before, you need two guys to cover that gap..so the best way to accomplish that is to bring in two guys from the outside that are legit proven guys..easier said then done, sure, but so what?? Wojo made this mess, he needs to fix it.

I'm pretty sure Wojo is trying to sign the best players he can. It's not like he's choosing Lehigh dude over Blackshear. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #111 on: April 24, 2019, 04:29:30 PM »
MU has now posted the current 19-20 roster.  Walk-o s Buddy Jafee and Mike Lelito are not listed.  Tommy Gardiner is  listed.

Interesting.  I have noticed their lack of attendance in the many pictures posted lately.  Being a walk on would suck, I can't say I blame them for moving on. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #112 on: April 24, 2019, 04:30:00 PM »

I'm pretty sure Wojo is trying to sign the best players he can. It's not like he's choosing Lehigh dude over Blackshear.

Nope. Wojo reads Scoop and he sees that guru and a few others want the best players. Normally, he'd want the best players, too, but he wants to screw over our most "competitive" fans, so he purposely is not pursuing anybody good, either as a grad transfer or a regular transfer or a 2020-21 freshman.

My source in the athletic office said that Wojo told him, "I'll show those Scoopers!"

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #113 on: April 24, 2019, 04:30:55 PM »
What if the alternative is rolling the dice with potentially only nine scholarship players - four of them frontcourt players -  and pray that nobody gets hurt, despite logging way too many minutes?
That's not a super idea, IMO.
If one of those four gets hurt, I wonder who would be the first to complain that Wojo didn't recruit enough depth?

Thought we had 5. Did another guy transfer?

If they can help, bring 'em in. If they're going to end up being essentially the quality of preferred walk ons, meh.

I also wonder, but I don't waste a lot of time on it. Guess we'll find out if and when it happens.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #114 on: April 24, 2019, 04:32:05 PM »

TLDR.

The difference between you (and a few others) and most everyone else on this board is realism.  Marquette is very nice program and will have a nice team next year.  We are not going to out-recruit blue bloods.  We can't just replace Sam and Joey with a couple burger boys and call it good.  We can't just replace them with the cream of the crop grad transfers because guess what - the blue bloods will be after them too. 

98/100 guys are picking Kansas, Kentucky, Arizona, etc., etc., over MU.  The sooner you come to grips with that, that more enjoyable your life will be. 

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #115 on: April 24, 2019, 04:32:57 PM »
Nope. Wojo reads Scoop and he sees that guru and a few others want the best players. Normally, he'd want the best players, too, but he wants to screw over our most "competitive" fans, so he purposely is not pursuing anybody good, either as a grad transfer or a regular transfer or a 2020-21 freshman.

My source in the athletic office said that Wojo told him, "I'll show those Scoopers!"

The amount of attention this one irrational poster gets on this board is totally bizarre. You are a smart guy, you realize that you aren't going to fix him by replying to his every post like this.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #116 on: April 24, 2019, 04:35:07 PM »
Thought we had 5. Did another guy transfer?

If they can help, bring 'em in. If they're going to end up being essentially the quality of preferred walk ons, meh.

I also wonder, but I don't waste a lot of time on it. Guess we'll find out if and when it happens.

I'm counting Bailey, Theo, Morrow and Cain.
I don't think we can count on Ike at this time. Hoping for the best and all, but better off preparing for the worst, you know?

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #117 on: April 24, 2019, 04:36:01 PM »
I don't think we can count on Ike at this time. Hoping for the best and all, but better off preparing for the worst, you know?

Bailey and Cain are wings, and definitely not front court players.  Can they play there?  Sure.  But they're not PF.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #118 on: April 24, 2019, 04:43:26 PM »

Fair

muguru

• All American
« Reply #119 on: April 24, 2019, 04:54:54 PM »
TLDR.

The difference between you (and a few others) and most everyone else on this board is realism.  Marquette is very nice program and will have a nice team next year.  We are not going to out-recruit blue bloods.  We can't just replace Sam and Joey with a couple burger boys and call it good.  We can't just replace them with the cream of the crop grad transfers because guess what - the blue bloods will be after them too. 

98/100 guys are picking Kansas, Kentucky, Arizona, etc., etc., over MU.  The sooner you come to grips with that, that more enjoyable your life will be.

Alright...Blackshear i get...but explain to me then about a guy like Shakur Juiston from UNLV.. Only played 8 games last year(he got hurt), but have seen NOTHING on him...he's a reasonable get for MU. Have they even contacted him?? Has anyone?? Last year in 8 games he averaged 10.8/8.8. The year before that in a full season he AVERAGED a dbl dbl-14.6/10. In 17/18 he had rebounding games of: 10,12,18,19,16,13, 10, 12, 14,11,12,14,12,10,13,14,12. Only had 6 games when he didn't score in double figures all year. You're telling me he wouldn't replace Sam's production and then some??

I think the problem with Wojo is now, is...he is in such a bad position that he doesn't want to do anything to ruffle any more feathers so he won't bring in a guy that could start at one of the forward spots, so not to upset Baley/Cain whoever. That's irresponsible.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #120 on: April 24, 2019, 05:06:01 PM »
Alright...Blackshear i get...but explain to me then about a guy like Shakur Juiston from UNLV.. Only played 8 games last year(he got hurt), but have seen NOTHING on him...he's a reasonable get for MU. Have they even contacted him?? Has anyone?? Last year in 8 games he averaged 10.8/8.8. The year before that in a full season he AVERAGED a dbl dbl-14.6/10. In 17/18 he had rebounding games of: 10,12,18,19,16,13, 10, 12, 14,11,12,14,12,10,13,14,12. Only had 6 games when he didn't score in double figures all year. You're telling me he wouldn't replace Sam's production and then some??

I think the problem with Wojo is now, is...he is in such a bad position that he doesn't want to do anything to ruffle any more feathers so he won't bring in a guy that could start at one of the forward spots, so not to upset Baley/Cain whoever. That's irresponsible.

Who knows what the deal with Juiston is.  Isn’t there some talk that he might not actually be immediately eligible? Is it he also more of a back to the basket big that may not play as well with Theo and Ed?  He also spent the last several years in Las Vegas Nevada maybe doesn’t want to spend his winter in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. In any event, there are no schools currently tied to him, so maybe we should hold off judgment until that happens.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #121 on: April 24, 2019, 05:13:21 PM »
TLDR.

This is the truth. As we all know now, they pay players. Hard to beat $100k payday with only great facilities, great fans and a great conference. But 'Nova has done it, so it is possible, just very difficult.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 05:31:09 PM by WhiteTrash »

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #122 on: April 24, 2019, 05:17:33 PM »

The second paragraph sounds like you’re just makin stuff up.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #123 on: April 24, 2019, 05:51:11 PM »

Does the UNLV guy have any range or is he just an interior/banger type?  In the absence of a true star, Wojo needs to bring complementary pieces, not guys that play the same way as guys we already have.

awilhelmscream

• Starter
« Reply #124 on: April 24, 2019, 05:54:23 PM »

Hold up. The Hausers left?