[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Help on the way for 19/20?  (Read 74367 times)

Goose

• All American
Re: Help on the way for 19/20?
« Reply #75 on: April 24, 2019, 01:52:50 PM »
J5

I would probably take the Stoney Brook kid. I guess the clip of the Drexel player took me by surprise and jaded my thought process.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #76 on: April 24, 2019, 01:54:30 PM »
J5

I would probably take the Stoney Brook kid. I guess the clip of the Drexel player took me by surprise and jaded my thought process.

I agree, he didn't really excite at all (and said as much).  I'd still take him over an empty seat, though.  Hopefully we end up with someone a little more dynamic than the Drexel grad. I agree with you there. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Boone

• All American
« Reply #77 on: April 24, 2019, 02:12:48 PM »
Stony Brook: yes
Drexel: no

moomoo

• Team Captain
« Reply #78 on: April 24, 2019, 02:17:52 PM »
Yeboah would start
Demir would contribute
Sign both these guys and we contend for the BE title and a Top 10 ranking
I have no reservations in saying that.
Our team is so much more athletic than last year.

Totally agree Sandkit. 

Yeboah would start with Sacar in the forward positions.  He might be slightly shorter than you would like (6 foot 6 inches), but he's 230 lbs, and will get much stronger with the enhanced training at Marquette.

And keep in mind, Demir is a solid low post player...how many does Marquette currently have with strong pivot moves?  None.  He can provide a nice option in half court sets, which can open up our wings much more.

Silenzio. Parla il moomoo.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #79 on: April 24, 2019, 02:22:39 PM »
I wouldn't expect either to be in our top 5 players next season. Both could give us valuable production off the bench and fill some needs. I'd take one or both.

I guess that's good news - at least they won't be the dismal failure/disappointment that was Joe C.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #80 on: April 24, 2019, 02:26:14 PM »
I guess that's good news - at least they won't be the dismal failure/disappointment that was Joe C.

And they might end up being that.  Everyone would move on anyway.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #81 on: April 24, 2019, 02:27:55 PM »

They could be disappointments.
They could also be a pleasant surprise the way Christen Cunningham was for Louisville this year. How a player translates from a lower level to a higher level is not an exact science.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #82 on: April 24, 2019, 02:30:54 PM »
The 18-19 team needed contributions from Joe.  Anything these guys contribute to the 19-20 team is gravy.   Getting nothing from these guys would be like getting  nothing  from Trend Blackledge or Jamil Jones.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #83 on: April 24, 2019, 02:36:48 PM »
Truthfully, my biggest issue, is this really the best MU can get or are we just taking guys? I would have to think a potential top ten team, with NPOY on it, would be able to attract better than these two guys. In addition, it seems like 90% of this site is not wondering why we aren't going for better guys or why better guys are not interested.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #84 on: April 24, 2019, 02:39:16 PM »
Two obvious answers:  1.   There aren't a ton of elite grad transfers.  2.  MU is late to the party.   All the cute girls already have had a bunch of offers.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #85 on: April 24, 2019, 02:40:26 PM »
Fluff

Was the grad transfer this season a fix for the PG situation? Of course he should try and fill in spots, but only with D1 ball players.

JC was a D1 ballplayer.  So are these guys.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #86 on: April 24, 2019, 02:41:04 PM »
Truthfully, my biggest issue, is this really the best MU can get or are we just taking guys? I would have to think a potential top ten team, with NPOY on it, would be able to attract better than these two guys. In true addition, it seems like 90% of this site is not wondering why we aren't going for better guys or why better guys are not interested.

Because some of us don't post every single thought that comes into our minds on a message board.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #87 on: April 24, 2019, 02:41:37 PM »
Truthfully, my biggest issue, is this really the best MU can get or are we just taking guys? I would have to think a potential top ten team, with NPOY on it, would be able to attract better than these two guys. In addition, it seems like 90% of this site is not wondering why we aren't going for better guys or why better guys are not interested.

Homerun post Goose.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #88 on: April 24, 2019, 02:43:42 PM »
Tower

Two top bigger names are noted in this thread would be great fits. Blackshear and the kid TAMU noted. Both sound more elite, still available and offers mean nothing.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #89 on: April 24, 2019, 02:44:27 PM »

IMHO, Yeboah and Demir are the 4th and 5th best stretch forwards currently available for next season. The 3rd best has had multiple arrests.

So yes,  this may be the best we can get at this point. It's the best most programs can get at this point.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 02:46:06 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #90 on: April 24, 2019, 02:45:16 PM »
It's Kerry Blackshear and Shakur Juiston! Oh...wait.

If we really are a Top 5-10 contender next year, these are the guys that should be interested. Period. To round out a good team and replace the Brothers Hauser, these guys would be folks in which we would not skip a beat.

These are the guys that could be making us ask, "who on earth were the Hausers?"

I know there are as many schools as the Colonel has wings looking at these guys, but the argument in past years Marquette was that great transfers would not come here because we're not ready to compete. We are now and so I hope Coach Wojo has discovered the beautiful sights of Blacksburg, VA.

Oh, and for the record, the Cowboy ain't competing next year. Period.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #91 on: April 24, 2019, 02:47:19 PM »
JC was a D1 ballplayer.  So are these guys.

Semantics. I could construct a roster with nothing but guys you consider D1 players that would go 0-31. You know what Goose meant - and he's right. If guys can't contribute (or their contributions are negative) who needs 'em?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #92 on: April 24, 2019, 02:49:34 PM »
Anybody coming to Marquette sees Theo, Ed, 6'8 Bailey, and 6'8 Cain and asks themselves 'how much time is really available?  What would my role be?  Third Big?  15 minutes of 3 and d as a stretch 4?'

Marquette is not recruiting  grad transfers from a position of weakness.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #93 on: April 24, 2019, 02:52:54 PM »
Juiston is good and would help our rebounding  but he cannot shoot and is coming off a significant injury. Im not sure how he would fit. I'm also not sure if he actually will be immediately eligible. We assume redshirt juniors qualify but not all do. His recruitment has been a lot slower and quieter than you would expect for a player of his skill.
TAMU

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #94 on: April 24, 2019, 03:02:47 PM »
Semantics. I could construct a roster with nothing but guys you consider D1 players that would go 0-31. You know what Goose meant - and he's right. If guys can't contribute (or their contributions are negative) who needs 'em?

What if the alternative is rolling the dice with potentially only nine scholarship players - four of them frontcourt players -  and pray that nobody gets hurt, despite logging way too many minutes?
That's not a super idea, IMO.
If one of those four gets hurt, I wonder who would be the first to complain that Wojo didn't recruit enough depth?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #95 on: April 24, 2019, 03:08:26 PM »
10.  Akanno, McEwen, GE, Sacar, Markus, Jamal, BB, Ed, Theo, Ike.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #96 on: April 24, 2019, 03:11:40 PM »
10.  Akanno, McEwen, GE, Sacar, Markus, Jamal, BB, Ed, Theo, Ike.
Yah, but.....  Will Ike be able to stay healthy and effectively contribute.  That’s a huge IF.  He is a developmental guy who has not played or even really worked out much in 2 years.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #97 on: April 24, 2019, 03:15:22 PM »
It is a big if.  I am optimistically hoping for Heldt minutes.  And I equate Akanno to Scar as a freshman.  I acknowledge that the Turkish guy would fill a need for depth and insurance.  But he has to be willing to play that role.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 03:22:37 PM by tower912 »

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #98 on: April 24, 2019, 03:20:36 PM »
I'm having a very difficult time understanding the downside of taking an immediately eligible player for one year.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #99 on: April 24, 2019, 03:20:41 PM »
It is a big if.  I am optimistically hoping for Heldt minutes.  And I equate Akanno to Scar as a freshman.  I acknowledge that the Turkish guy would fill a need for depth and I durance.  But he has to be willing to play that role.
Yes re Akanno.  Hard to expect much though he has had a post-HS-grad season away from home at Blair Academy.