[Today at 05:39:36 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Help on the way for 19/20?  (Read 75874 times)

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
Re: Help on the way for 19/20?
« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2019, 12:34:40 PM »
I don't want to replace Sam's 15PPG from within, because not one player will be capable of doing it..I want Sam's 15 PPG replaced by someone from the outside, and I want the pieces that were originally going to be depth(Bailey, Cain etc), to remain just that..depth.

The problem is what you want is probably not a realistic expectation.   

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2019, 12:47:18 PM »
MU is short on rebounding and these two guys can rebound.   Either one is better than an empty chair but I wouldn't expect either to be a star.

This might also mean Wojo struckout on the elite grad transfers.  Everybody wants a Kerry Blackshear type talent but if you don't gain traction quickly it's best to move on. 

muguru

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2019, 12:49:33 PM »
Why does Sam's 15 ppg have to be replaced by a single player?

Because...Sam averaged that..so if you want as little chance of falling off as with Sam, then you need to replace his PPG with one player. Let me explain..The easiest way to look at this is 25PPG/12 REB pg just left...So now instead of two players carrying that load(Sam and Joey), it's likely going to take 3-4 of the current roster to make up for that now, where as had they stayed, those players that will now have to make up for that, whatever they brought next year was just going to be a bonus..now..they will need it.

I was figuring 50PPG between Sam, Markus and Koby next year..3 guys averaging 50+PPG, you lose 15PPG of that...not to mention 6 rebs per game. What I would like to see is a "trade" so to speak, you lose 25PPG and 12 REB PG, you bring in two guys to replace as much of that 25PPG 12REB as you can, and the guys on the current team stay in their current roles..then you go without taking much of a step back IMO.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2019, 12:53:18 PM »
Depth is the foundation for long term success. Of course you are right. Depth is how you overcome guys leaving, getting hurt or homesick. We just learned the hard way that we have no depth.

No kidding.  But what should we do moving forward into next year with three scholarship openings?  That's the question that we're trying to answer here.  There aren't a lot of great options available.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2019, 12:54:00 PM »
I think it was generally liked because he was considered a pass first PG with an elite steal rate, and we needed a PG and defensive help.  Obviously it didn't work out, but there were signs that he would be a decent back up PG / change of pace option.   

And it didn't harm Marquette in the least.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2019, 01:08:00 PM »
Why does Sam's 15 ppg have to be replaced by a single player?

It's called a threat. Threats draw attention and create opportunity.

The Hausers opened up the floor. We will see the difference once the games start.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 24, 2019, 01:10:03 PM »
Because...Sam averaged that..so if you want as little chance of falling off as with Sam, then you need to replace his PPG with one player. Let me explain..The easiest way to look at this is 25PPG/12 REB pg just left...So now instead of two players carrying that load(Sam and Joey), it's likely going to take 3-4 of the current roster to make up for that now, where as had they stayed, those players that will now have to make up for that, whatever they brought next year was just going to be a bonus..now..they will need it.

I was figuring 50PPG between Sam, Markus and Koby next year..3 guys averaging 50+PPG, you lose 15PPG of that...not to mention 6 rebs per game. What I would like to see is a "trade" so to speak, you lose 25PPG and 12 REB PG, you bring in two guys to replace as much of that 25PPG 12REB as you can, and the guys on the current team stay in their current roles..then you go without taking much of a step back IMO.

So, when Markus leaves, it's your belief that Marquette must replace him with a 25 ppg player?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2019, 01:11:19 PM »
Fluff

If no great options, take a pass. There is no shame on passing on guys.

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2019, 01:13:30 PM »
Fluff

If no great options, take a pass. There is no shame on passing on guys.

Even one year players where depth is an issue?

If you are talking a traditional transfer or a late 2019 freshman, I agree with you.  But there is little harm in bringing in a one year rental.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2019, 01:15:15 PM »

Quite the analysis right here.

Even one year players where depth is an issue?

If you are talking a traditional transfer or a late 2019 freshman, I agree with you.  But there is little harm in bringing in a one year rental.

Pretty sure several posters around here are mostly just hoping for failure at this point. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 24, 2019, 01:15:46 PM »
guru

Depth is the foundation for long term success. Of course you are right. Depth is how you overcome guys leaving, getting hurt or homesick. We just learned the hard way that we have no depth.

Maybe a small quibble here.  I think MU had depth until the Hausers left.  It was one of the strengths of the team.  It is how the team is still IMO top 25-30 (please do not misread that statement--I am not happy with that) despite losing 2 of its top 5 players.  And, IF the team lands one rotation stretch or true power forward, it could be a top 20 team.

But, currently MU has no depth.  And that is one of the team's biggest weaknesses and IMO the biggest impact of the Hausers leaving (bc the depth has been forced to move up the rotation).

While there are teams that can survive unexpectedly losing 2 of 5 top players and not drop more than 10 spots, it is rare.

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #61 on: April 24, 2019, 01:16:47 PM »
Quite the analysis right here.

Pretty sure several posters around here are mostly just hoping for failure at this point.

Bingo

Goose

• All American
« Reply #62 on: April 24, 2019, 01:19:24 PM »
Lloyds

That was my point. We currently have no depth. Prior to last Monday, decent depth on the squad. Currently, lesser talent on team and diminished depth. That is how programs go in reverse quickly.

• All American
« Reply #63 on: April 24, 2019, 01:22:43 PM »
Lloyds

That was my point. We currently have no depth. Prior to last Monday, decent depth on the squad. Currently, lesser talent on team and diminished depth. That is how programs go in reverse quickly.

So you acknowledge there is little depth for next year, but don't want Wojo to fix it.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #64 on: April 24, 2019, 01:25:05 PM »
guru

Balderdash.  If no one comes there is enough talent to have a season with a similar record.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #65 on: April 24, 2019, 01:26:51 PM »
Fluff

Was the grad transfer this season a fix for the PG situation? Of course he should try and fill in spots, but only with D1 ball players.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #66 on: April 24, 2019, 01:27:13 PM »
Lloyds

Confirmed.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #67 on: April 24, 2019, 01:30:38 PM »
Fluff

Was the grad transfer this season a fix for the PG situation? Of course he should try and fill in spots, but only with D1 ball players.

So a player who has done the following against high major or close to high major programs over the past 2 seasons is not a D1 player?

@ Providence: 22 points / 12 boards
@ Rutgers 21/6
@ Michigan State 15/3
vs. Maryland 15/6
@ South Carolina 24/11
@ Rhode Island 19/5
@ South Florida 19/3

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #68 on: April 24, 2019, 01:37:28 PM »
Fluff

So because JC didn't work out as hoped he shouldn't add any one year rentals this upcoming season when more depth will be needed?  Makes no sense whatsoever. 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #69 on: April 24, 2019, 01:37:54 PM »
J5

What is outcome of those games and when were stats during the game. Rob Deer would have been the greatest home run hitter in Brewer history if they only kept count of meaningless home runs. How many NFL QB's have padded stats against prevent defense. There is more than just looking at a stat sheet.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #70 on: April 24, 2019, 01:39:11 PM »
Vander

He should sign grad transfers this year.....IF THEY CAN PLAY D1 BALL. The kid from Drexel cannot.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #71 on: April 24, 2019, 01:41:44 PM »
J5

What is outcome of those games and when were stats during the game. Rob Deer would have been the greatest home run hitter in Brewer history if they only kept count of meaningless home runs. How many NFL QB's have padded stats against prevent defense. There is more than just looking at a stat sheet.

Lol, I am just going to move along.  I am not crowning him the BE POY, I am saying he can be a useful bench piece for the frontcourt that lacks depth.  If you're unwilling to see that, then well, I got nothing for you.  Continue to complain about the current coaching staff and roster situation than discuss potential solutions, if you so desire.  To each their own.   

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #72 on: April 24, 2019, 01:42:19 PM »
Vander

He should sign grad transfers this year.....IF THEY CAN PLAY D1 BALL. The kid from Drexel cannot.

And you're sure of this based on the short clip you saw?  Is Drexel not a D1 program? 

At worst, you don't think having an extra body available in case of foul trouble or injury is wise?  What's the harm?

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #73 on: April 24, 2019, 01:42:45 PM »
My expert opinion after watching at least 2 1/2 minutes of highlight videos is that Yeboah is a significantly better player.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #74 on: April 24, 2019, 01:47:02 PM »
Yeboah would start
Demir would contribute
Sign both these guys and we contend for the BE title and a Top 10 ranking
I have no reservations in saying that.
Our team is so much more athletic than last year. 
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

feedback