Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Outsiders View Of Hausers Transfer  (Read 124732 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Outsiders View Of Hausers Transfer
« Reply #275 on: May 16, 2019, 06:40:53 PM »
Given what I've seen from Sam (and Markus and Wojo) over the past three years, I'm confident "touches" is an unfair, over simplified assessment. It's the "company line" and doesn't quite pass the smell test for me.
They were staying if Markus left.  Wojo would have still been the coach.    If everything else is relatively status quo, but they were likely to get more touches with Markus gone, then it came down to touches for them and a perception that the BEPOY and second team All American was treated differently.    That Wojo didn't rein him in and make him share the ball.  That the team captain was allowed to do captain things.   

In the end, they chose to leave.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #276 on: May 16, 2019, 06:56:22 PM »
The truth is Joey quit on the team down the stretch. Markus tried to get Joey to play harder, better.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #277 on: May 16, 2019, 07:17:30 PM »
If you want to spin it that way. Put another way, it was all about wanting to play in a system that encouraged team play over hero ball.

We've been in this community for a decade and we've been good and we've been bad.

You are far too clever a Marquette supporter to be naive enough to carry the Hauser water that they are desperate to play in a "team" atmosphere and couldn't find that in our program.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #278 on: May 16, 2019, 07:39:18 PM »
We've been in this community for a decade and we've been good and we've been bad.

You are far too clever a Marquette supporter to be naive enough to carry the Hauser water that they are desperate to play in a "team" atmosphere and couldn't find that in our program.

Lanche,

And I think you (and Tower, Wades, etc., etc.,) are far too clever to believe that Gard, Bennet and Izzo would be going after the Hausers if they were simply a couple of malcontents concerned only with their "touches".

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #279 on: May 16, 2019, 07:42:23 PM »
Lanche,

And I think you (and Tower, Wades, etc., etc.,) are far too clever to believe that Gard, Bennet and Izzo would be going after the Hausers if they were simply a couple of malcontents concerned only with their "touches".

I think all good coaches want as many talented players as possible and think they’re capable of massaging any ego issues (I say that not knowing if the Hausers have ego issues).  Talent always trumps character
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 07:46:16 PM by Uncle Rico »
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #280 on: May 16, 2019, 07:51:12 PM »
Lanche,

Lenny, another coach is already anonymously quoted as saying he would have handled it the same way.  What happens if they don't end up in the same place?   Since they play the same position and will likely be competing for time?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #281 on: May 16, 2019, 08:26:31 PM »
I think all good coaches want as many talented players as possible and think they’re capable of massaging any ego issues (I say that not knowing if the Hausers have ego issues).  Talent always trumps character

It's why talented malcontents usually find new jobs.

I mean, there were no shortage of suitors for Kawhi and Anthony Davis. Belichick brought in Randy Moss. T.O. got second and third and fourth chances. Richie Incognito. Riley Cooper. Milton Bradley. Laettner. J.R. Rider. Stephenson. Freakin' Dennis Rodman got a job with the team he used to hack to pieces and then, after quitting on the Bulls, got a job with the Lakers. Etc, etc, etc.

Coaches have confidence in themselves that they can be the ones who can turn people around.

And BTW, I'm not saying the Hausers are like any of those people. I don't know.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #282 on: May 16, 2019, 08:57:41 PM »
It's why talented malcontents usually find new jobs.

I mean, there were no shortage of suitors for Kawhi and Anthony Davis. Belichick brought in Randy Moss. T.O. got second and third and fourth chances. Richie Incognito. Riley Cooper. Milton Bradley. Laettner. J.R. Rider. Stephenson. Freakin' Dennis Rodman got a job with the team he used to hack to pieces and then, after quitting on the Bulls, got a job with the Lakers. Etc, etc, etc.

Coaches have confidence in themselves that they can be the ones who can turn people around.

And BTW, I'm not saying the Hausers are like any of those people. I don't know.

Mike,

Glad you think the Hauser are only analogous to (but not exactly the same as) Randy Moss, TO, Richie Incognito, Dennis Rodman, etc. Very kind assessment.

Here's the thing - Sam and Joey aren't Hall of Famers or All Pros. Most of the Scoop community doesn't think they're good enough to play at MSU or Virginia. None of those who think they can have opined that they'll be difference makers in those programs. So riddle me this. What in the wide world of sports do Tom Izzo and Tony Bennett want with a couple of selfish malcontented children (who come with helicopter parents) who (at best) won't move the needle a whole lot at their respective programs? Are they beyond stupid? Or are those wearing blue and gold glasses missing something? I'll go with "B".

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #283 on: May 16, 2019, 09:06:51 PM »
Mike,

Glad you think the Hauser are only analogous to (but not exactly the same as) Randy Moss, TO, Richie Incognito, Dennis Rodman, etc. Very kind assessment.

Here's the thing - Sam and Joey aren't Hall of Famers or All Pros. Most of the Scoop community doesn't think they're good enough to play at MSU or Virginia. None of those who think they can have opined that they'll be difference makers in those programs. So riddle me this. What in the wide world of sports do Tom Izzo and Tony Bennett want with a couple of selfish malcontented children (who come with helicopter parents) who (at best) won't move the needle a whole lot at their respective programs? Are they beyond stupid? Or are those wearing blue and gold glasses missing something? I'll go with "B".

Izzo was super pissed at Hausers the first go 'round because he felt "led on." Maybe time heals, but wouldn't seem like he would want to take on a player who now has a rep as being emotionally soft (not trying to slam the kid, just reporting what is being said in college coaching circles). Doesn't seem to fit Izzo's DNA. My money is on him joining his buddy Barnstormer buddy Wieskamp at Iowa. That is a big if because Wieskamp is stunningly testing the NBA waters as a freshman, which I find bizarre. He worked out for the Thunder on Sunday, so who knows?

I know who’s word I’m taking.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #284 on: May 16, 2019, 09:10:36 PM »
I know who’s word I’m taking.

Well, they cut Iowa from their list without a visit.

And Izzo had them for a visit last week.

So,,,,

LOL

MU82

• All American
« Reply #285 on: May 16, 2019, 09:13:29 PM »
Mike,

Lenny, you know better than to confuse the likes of Sand-Knit with "most of the Scoop community." From what I have read these last many weeks, "most of the Scoop community" wishes none of this had ever happened, wishes very much that we had kept Sam (one of the best all-around players in recent MU history) and wishes we also had kept Joey (though defense-challenged, a good offensive player with potential).

Those saying otherwise are either reacting out of feeling jilted or are just plain dopes.

If I were Izzo or Bennett, and the Hausers wanted to play basketball for me, I'd take them in a heartbeat -- just as Tennessee took Maymon in a heartbeat. I'd be confident in my ability to handle their egos because all competitive, talented athletes have healthy egos and I'm experienced handling those kinds of players.

Mostly, I'd dismiss what happened at Marquette as "one of those things" that a change in environment would solve.

Change often is a good thing in sports. Katin Reinhardt was seen by some as problem child, too, and he worked out pretty darn well for Marquette.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #286 on: May 16, 2019, 09:22:15 PM »
They’re announcing their decision(s) this weekend.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #287 on: May 16, 2019, 09:26:57 PM »

From the Stevens Point Boys & Girls Club?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #288 on: May 16, 2019, 09:30:57 PM »

That was funny. Hat tip.

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #289 on: May 16, 2019, 09:33:56 PM »
I’m saying Virginia, just a guess but seems the best fit and I think the Badgers are plan B so it well could be them also.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #290 on: May 16, 2019, 09:36:37 PM »

Implying that they may choose different schools?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #291 on: May 16, 2019, 09:39:16 PM »
I just do not buy the touches angle. Yes, Markus shot more this year. 585 shots vs.515 the year before. However, Rowsey took 495 shots. 2017-2018 the starting guards took 1,010 shots. 2018-19 the starting guards took 824 shots. Sam took 370 shots in 2018-19 and 349 shots in 2017-2018.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #292 on: May 16, 2019, 09:45:56 PM »

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #293 on: May 16, 2019, 10:18:58 PM »
Implying that they may choose different schools?

I have no idea.  Giving them credit for being individuals.  I have no clue, but my gut says they’re both going to UW. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #294 on: May 16, 2019, 11:19:41 PM »
Most of the Scoop community doesn't think they're good enough to play at MSU or Virginia. None of those who think they can have opined that they'll be difference makers in those programs.

I'm not in that camp. The idea they couldn't do well in the Big Ten where 12/14 teams were in the bottom half of tempo last year is ridiculous. And Virginia is basically tailor made for their talents. The pack line would minimize their lack of lateral quickness while allowing both to rebound aggressively. Sam in particular would shine. I think first team ACC & even contending for POY trophies could be in his future if he adjusted quickly.

If anything, of the four schools they would potentially have spent time at, Marquette's up-tempo offense & switching defense may be the one that suits them least.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #295 on: May 16, 2019, 11:39:08 PM »
Well, they cut Iowa from their list without a visit.

And Izzo had them for a visit last week.

So,,,,

LOL

Haven't seen any official lists for the Hausers.

Anyways, what MUScoop are you reading?  MOST Scoopers don't think the Hausers are good enough for MSU or UVA?  Would love to see these posts.  I can only find one poster who thinks something even close to that really.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #296 on: May 17, 2019, 02:42:17 AM »
I think the school choice will shed light on the reason for transferring.

If it is UW, it was probably touches, with their current roster they would likely be the showcase players in 20-21.

If it's MSU or Virginia it was probably that they didn't see their skill set fitting in with the direction Wojo was going and that Championship coaches, both conference and now NCAA, would be better suited to prepare them for the next level. I would imagine both Izzo and Bennett have told them that they will be part of a system and if they don't capitulate they will be riding the pine.

In a side note if Joey truly did not like being criticized by Markus/Wojo I would love to see his reaction the first time Izzp blows up at him!

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #297 on: May 17, 2019, 06:11:14 AM »
I'm not in that camp. The idea they couldn't do well in the Big Ten where 12/14 teams were in the bottom half of tempo last year is ridiculous. And Virginia is basically tailor made for their talents. The pack line would minimize their lack of lateral quickness while allowing both to rebound aggressively. Sam in particular would shine. I think first team ACC & even contending for POY trophies could be in his future if he adjusted quickly.

If anything, of the four schools they would potentially have spent time at, Marquette's up-tempo offense & switching defense may be the one that suits them least.
If Sam goes to Virginia, I will bet whatever you want that he will not be ACC POY. That’s some insane homerism right there.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #298 on: May 17, 2019, 07:12:20 AM »
If Sam goes to Virginia, I will bet whatever you want that he will not be ACC POY. That’s some insane homerism right there.

I don't think "considered for" is a guarantee, but let's be honest. If Sam stayed & redshirted this year, he would be the favorite for BEPOY the following year. Yet at Virginia, in a system that suits his talents & play style better than Marquette, he's going to fall off the planet? Please. That's insane anti-Hauserism.

Do people really think the ACC is the NBA Northwest Division? Newsflash, it's not. Sam would be one of the best players on one of the best teams in his league. That would mean competing for first team and POY honors. Anyone pretending otherwise is just trying to salve the wound.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #299 on: May 17, 2019, 07:16:58 AM »
I think they can play at any of these schools. I just do not think they both are going to start.