[Today at 07:56:19 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by WellsstreetWanderer
[April 25, 2024, 10:03:37 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Twitter reaction to MU player yesterday at celebration  (Read 12212 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Twitter reaction to MU player yesterday at celebration
« on: March 18, 2019, 10:31:01 PM »
My God people have lost it.  Thankfully fans and non fans are calling out each of these idiots on social media.  Just amazing and sad. 

Just sad.  Maybe he has some legal recourse.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
Re: Twitter reaction to MU player yesterday at celebration
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 11:04:54 PM »
My God people have lost it.  Thankfully fans and non fans are calling out each of these idiots on social media.  Just amazing and sad. 

Just sad.  Maybe he has some legal recourse.

I guess I’m living under a rock...what happened?
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 11:10:40 PM »
I was just about to ask the same, NDC. I have no idea what this is about.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 11:52:45 PM »
Saw this earlier, like a few dozen preople on Twitter accused Mike Lelito of throwing up the white power sign when celebrating the bracket. He was just doing the Westbrook gun holster 3 point celebration....

To Chico’s point, yea some really effing stupid people started accusing Lelito of being a racist but it really wasn’t that widespread literally just a few dozen people which in the Twitter verse is nothing.

A lot of people, including Harry Froling, were quick to shut it down real quick and no news outlets shared it or made a mention of it either.

Just a select few dumbass people going over the top. Probably shouldn’t even bring attention to the situation because it was such small scale.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 06:42:11 AM »
It was trending Sunday and Monday for a bit under Marquette White and Marquette White Supremacy, Marquette racist.  When you type in Marquette other associated trending tweet subjects pop up, and those are some of the examples.  Sickening nonsense with people calling for this kid to be kicked off team, rally against MU at the tournament, etc.

Harry Froling weighed in to tell them off, as did many fans at how preposterous it was.  The woman he called out deleted her tweet, there were many many more.....several hundred that did not delete, including those that refused to accept the gesture done is a basketball 3 point gesture and example# of NBA players doing it as evidence. One fan responded to the claims stated “stop trying to ruin a kids life” which I thought was dead on. Very sad, glad to see most people call out theses idiots.  Not fair to the young man, the team or the university.  People are sick with this crap.  I reported as many of the tweets as I could to Twitter, but they will likely do nothing.  It is reverse racism in my opinion to accuse in this fashion.  Twitter rightfully bans people for making racist comments, but when users accuse others of it wrongfully, no punishment while this kid’s image, video, etc are there to tarnish him and the team?  Just wrong. 
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 06:49:29 AM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 07:07:48 AM »
Great - I can now add another reason why I'm glad I don't do twitter.  My life is unchanged not being a part of this faux 'twitter battle' -- and now we are all onto the next thing (except Cheeks who seems to be keeping it alive).

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 07:26:24 AM »
The internet in general, and twitter in specific is horrible.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2019, 08:01:01 AM »
It was trending Sunday and Monday for a bit under Marquette White and Marquette White Supremacy, Marquette racist.  When you type in Marquette other associated trending tweet subjects pop up, and those are some of the examples.  Sickening nonsense with people calling for this kid to be kicked off team, rally against MU at the tournament, etc.

Harry Froling weighed in to tell them off, as did many fans at how preposterous it was.  The woman he called out deleted her tweet, there were many many more.....several hundred that did not delete, including those that refused to accept the gesture done is a basketball 3 point gesture and example# of NBA players doing it as evidence. One fan responded to the claims stated “stop trying to ruin a kids life” which I thought was dead on. Very sad, glad to see most people call out theses idiots.  Not fair to the young man, the team or the university.  People are sick with this crap.  I reported as many of the tweets as I could to Twitter, but they will likely do nothing.  It is reverse racism in my opinion to accuse in this fashion.  Twitter rightfully bans people for making racist comments, but when users accuse others of it wrongfully, no punishment while this kid’s image, video, etc are there to tarnish him and the team?  Just wrong.

So why bring light to it?  I don't do Twitter so not sure how to efficiently search through things on Twitter, but Googling "Marquette NCAA Tournament reveal reaction" before you explained what the outrage was didn't bring me to any Tweets that you're describing.  Chances are like 100 total people saw it, and 98 of them said "Clearly you don't watch basketball" and that was that.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2019, 08:02:15 AM »
Twatter free since forever!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2019, 09:00:41 AM »
I saw the white power tweets very quickly after the selection show.  It was certainly a thing for a while.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2019, 09:24:56 AM »
Yeah was definitely a thing, just wasn't a big thing within the context of twitter. This is why, while I find it very useful generally, twitter is a retched hive of scum and villainy. It's basically the JSOnline comments section for the globe.

It's unhelpful that Chico's is the one pointing this out as that has the effect of neutralizing an otherwise relevant point. We definitely have an outrage problem, on the internet for sure, but in public discourse generally as well.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2019, 09:25:20 AM »
Breaking News: People on Twitter say dumb things.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2019, 09:26:22 AM »

This is true

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2019, 09:32:07 AM »
I saw the white power tweets very quickly after the selection show.  It was certainly a thing for a while.

Really? I didn’t see or hear about it until the next day and I am on twitter constantly.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2019, 09:33:33 AM »
So why bring light to it?  I don't do Twitter so not sure how to efficiently search through things on Twitter, but Googling "Marquette NCAA Tournament reveal reaction" before you explained what the outrage was didn't bring me to any Tweets that you're describing.  Chances are like 100 total people saw it, and 98 of them said "Clearly you don't watch basketball" and that was that.

Supposed to ignore it?  Sorry, one of our guys was accused of something he should not have been that is one of the worst accusations you can do.  It definitely wasn’t 100 people. 

We get bent here when some guy a message board says Hauser isn’t a great shooter, but we’re supposed to pretend 100’s of tweets calling one of our players racist, a total bs charge, is nothing.  Come on.

If anything, it is another teachable moment that people throw that crap out way too often and innocent people are harmed.  The more that it is called out, perhaps people will think twice before doing it.  The only way it really stops is these companies need to be held accountable.  Way too much power, a lawsuit or two would be fantastic. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2019, 09:34:15 AM »
Yeah was definitely a thing, just wasn't a big thing within the context of twitter. This is why, while I find it very useful generally, twitter is a retched hive of scum and villainy. It's basically the JSOnline comments section for the globe.

It's unhelpful that Chico's is the one pointing this out as that has the effect of neutralizing an otherwise relevant point. We definitely have an outrage problem, on the internet for sure, but in public discourse generally as well.

It’s not what is said, it is who says the what here at Scoop.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2019, 09:35:04 AM »
Breaking News: People on Twitter say dumb things.

Breaking news, people should be held accountable especially for the truly abhorrent things said on Twitter or it will continue.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2019, 10:04:03 AM »
It's sooooo sad when someone insults a white person. What is our society becoming that this can happen! And for chico to be the one that points it out may be just a bit on the ironic side.

I remember how outraged chico was when Jon Henson was actually treated unfiarly. Oh, wait.....

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2019, 10:04:46 AM »
Breaking news, people should be held accountable especially for the truly abhorrent things said on Twitter or it will continue.

So some people saw what they thought was a white power symbol, call it out, others say no you're wrong he made this symbol, the "instigator" deletes their tweet and then nothing happens.

I don't see anything "truly abhorrent" and I do see people being held accountable. What exactly do you want done to a person who mistook a hand signal on the internet?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2019, 10:11:42 AM »
I was trying to figure out what symbol people were talking about so I did some research. Apparently the symbol he made is associated with white supremacy. It is also more commonly known as the "ok" symbol and is a very common celebration in basketball for a three pointer. Symbols mean different things to different people. Just because we mean it one way doesn't mean someone else is wrong when they take it another way.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2019, 10:30:33 AM »
I signed James Breeding with a finger I consider to mean "have a great day".  He assigned me a Flagrant 2. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2019, 10:39:05 AM »
It's sooooo sad when someone insults a white person. What is our society becoming that this can happen! And for chico to be the one that points it out may be just a bit on the ironic side.

I remember how outraged chico was when Jon Henson was actually treated unfiarly. Oh, wait.....

Won't speak for Cheeks, but it is possible that he was pointing out the obvious double standard that exists in our society.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2019, 11:48:50 AM »

There is no way I will ever do twitter.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2019, 11:58:32 AM »
There is no way I will ever do twitter.

I have a twitter account (and instgram) for one reason, and one reason only:  to follow my daughter's volleyball team.  It's been two years, and that's all I've used it for.  I'm pretty comfortable saying that once that's over, the accounts will die.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2019, 12:07:11 PM »

It's not even a real hate symbol it started as a hoax.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/intern-white-power-hand-gesture/

Look if I go out right now and say the thumbs up is now a pro IRA sign it doesn't make it true. Even if I get the IRA to start doing it, they're the idiots then not the regular people who might still use the symbol innocently.
Maigh Eo for Sam

feedback