[Today at 07:30:33 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Goose
[Today at 07:05:04 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by Judge Smails
[Today at 07:02:27 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Twitter reaction to MU player yesterday at celebration  (Read 12137 times)

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
Re: Twitter reaction to MU player yesterday at celebration
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2019, 12:18:08 PM »

It's not even a real hate symbol it started as a hoax.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/intern-white-power-hand-gesture/

Look if I go out right now and say the thumbs up is now a pro IRA sign it doesn't make it true. Even if I get the IRA to start doing it, they're the idiots then not the regular people who might still use the symbol innocently.

The New Zealand shooter (obviously a raging white supremacist) threw it up in the courtroom the other day.

Obviously this was not a case of our guy throwing up a hate symbol. But to act like people without knowledge of the Russ celebration wouldn't be sensitive to it lacking the proper context in the immediate aftermath of a horrific tragedy are crazy loonies is preposterous.

White supremacy is an actual problem.

A few dozen people misinterpreting something is not.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2019, 12:41:14 PM »
Really? I didn’t see or hear about it until the next day and I am on twitter constantly.
I have never had a twitter account and I heard of this about at 6:30PM on Sunday.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2019, 01:41:50 PM »
Cheekz is the perfect avatar for the darkened state of the Internet in 2019—an angry middle-aged white guy, triggered by anything and everything, raging out across the web.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2019, 06:27:40 PM »
Cheekz is the perfect avatar for the darkened state of the Internet in 2019—an angry middle-aged white guy, triggered by anything and everything, raging out across the web.

Love how you guys are all “ho-hum” yawn, meh, hey ma, where’s the meatloaf except when you are outraged about something. Then if the responses don’t say exactly what ya want to hear or isn’t said with the right empathy, the pile on begins. Most here know what I mean

These things do ruin people’s lives though. Nothing good happens on social media between the hours of midnight and 12 pm though hey
don't...don't don't don't don't

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2019, 07:37:26 PM »

Solid ad hominem.

From now on please aim all of your displeasure at the people that actually deserve it: The power-hungry moderators of Muscoop dot com. I'd use the url but I don't want to give their godforsaken website the traffic.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2019, 07:43:12 PM »
Interesting my reply was deleted. I truly have no idea why.  I see someone said "angry middle aged white guy" which is an attack on age, race and gender...the irony.  That is allowed to stay.

I wish I knew what I said that was so bad, let alone worse than what Babyblue said.  Truly wish I knew.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2019, 07:49:56 PM »
Twatter free since forever!

Sexist and off topic. Why post this? Just to get a jab in at women? tsk tsk.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2019, 08:41:05 PM »
Twatter free since forever!

I thought you had a couple kids...

MU82

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2019, 10:31:51 PM »
I thought you had a couple kids...

Miracles.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2019, 02:15:58 AM »

Won't speak for Cheeks, but it is possible that he was pointing out the obvious double standard that exists in our society.

The white man has had it his way for far too long, Doc. Nothing wrong with a thumb on the scale to make up for centuries of privilege.

Speaking of which, it's been a few decades since the white man has rounded up an entire group of Americans descended from Asian immigrants. Everyone knows Jockey's little statement is a dog whistle for the white man to once more round up some slanty-eyed bastards and throw them into desert gulags. You know, they are getting uppity and such. 

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2019, 10:26:17 AM »
In before the lock.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2019, 10:32:30 AM »

Won't speak for Cheeks, but it is possible that he was pointing out the obvious double standard that exists in our society.

The hypocrisy is thick, and thinking that doing this will bring people together is even more eye opening.  Of course, the dirty secret is they don’t want to bring people together...the industry of dividing is very profitable for both sides.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 10:48:41 AM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2019, 10:38:53 AM »
"Both sides"?

Wow, lots of politics here!

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2019, 01:31:16 PM »
Eye don't feel like workin' tadey, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2019, 01:54:38 PM »
"Both sides"?

Wow, lots of politics here!

Nope......societal statement, not political.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2019, 01:59:56 PM »
The New Zealand shooter (obviously a raging white supremacist) threw it up in the courtroom the other day.

Obviously this was not a case of our guy throwing up a hate symbol. But to act like people without knowledge of the Russ celebration wouldn't be sensitive to it lacking the proper context in the immediate aftermath of a horrific tragedy are crazy loonies is preposterous.

White supremacy is an actual problem.

A few dozen people misinterpreting something is not.

At least in today’s world, I would imagine that the majority of even white supremacists do not condone violence. I am not quite sure that the majority of proponents of radical Islam do not condone violence. Yet, our former President insisted that we cannot use the term “radical Islam” in our common parlance. In fact, the studies have shown that he may have been correct in favoring omission of this usage, as it only fuels recruiting for terrorism. Yet, any attempt to, ahem, whitewash “white supremacy” from our lexicon would be met with fierce resistance from 100% of the media even if it had the same effect of slowing the growth of said extremism. Frankly, I wish all white supremacists and radical Islamists would go straight to Hell, but for the life of me I can’t understand how nobody sees the non-color blind nature of virtue-signaling. “Look at me, I’m so virtuous that I’m scanning the Twitterverse to find white racists” (preposterous as the accusation was here) yet the same person will allow real cases of reverse racism to pervade the internet and Twitter daily.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2019, 02:02:36 PM »

Maybe he’s triggered by everyone else’s quick virtue trigger. What came first the chicken or the egg?
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2019, 02:50:54 PM »
At least in today’s world, I would imagine that the majority of even white supremacists do not condone violence. I am not quite sure that the majority of proponents of radical Islam do not condone violence. Yet, our former President insisted that we cannot use the term “radical Islam” in our common parlance. In fact, the studies have shown that he may have been correct in favoring omission of this usage, as it only fuels recruiting for terrorism. Yet, any attempt to, ahem, whitewash “white supremacy” from our lexicon would be met with fierce resistance from 100% of the media even if it had the same effect of slowing the growth of said extremism. Frankly, I wish all white supremacists and radical Islamists would go straight to Hell, but for the life of me I can’t understand how nobody sees the non-color blind nature of virtue-signaling. “Look at me, I’m so virtuous that I’m scanning the Twitterverse to find white racists” (preposterous as the accusation was here) yet the same person will allow real cases of reverse racism to pervade the internet and Twitter daily.

Again, white supremacy is an actual problem, not a perceived overreaction to it in the aftermath of a horrific tragedy. Very odd that this is what some people are choosing to focus on.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2019, 03:36:02 PM »
Again, white supremacy is an actual problem, not a perceived overreaction to it in the aftermath of a horrific tragedy. Very odd that this is what some people are choosing to focus on.

Correct. And correct.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2019, 08:59:50 PM »

I suggest you read the works of Jordan Peterson.

Radical Islam is a very real problem as well.  And if a bunch of right-wing idiots went on Twitter after a Hezbollah car bombing and started examining every Middle Eastern soccer team mistakenly thinking celebrants were flashing terrorist symbols, I would be just as irritated. The left would attack this group of virtue-signalling, and probably rightly so. The moment someone calls out the other version of internet recklessness, release the hounds. Cheeks may not be the most popular person here, but he is most definitely onto something.

So I ask you...if it were proven that removing “white supremacy” from our lexicon would greatly reduce the kind of despicable violence we are seeing lately, would you support it?

I don’t think these clowns who trolled MU’s NCAA celebration were originally reacting to the recent tragedy. You had no problem implying that they were. And if they were, then...being severely in error....all they ended up doing is creating more division, which was Cheek’s’ point to begin with. Inflammatory language and reckless accusation, especially where it is completely unsubstantiated by fact, leads to another predictable and sad cycle of violence.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2019, 11:35:42 PM »

Radical Islam is a very real problem as well.  And if a bunch of right-wing idiots went on Twitter after a Hezbollah car bombing and started examining every Middle Eastern soccer team mistakenly thinking celebrants were flashing terrorist symbols, I would be just as irritated. The left would attack this group of virtue-signalling, and probably rightly so. The moment someone calls out the other version of internet recklessness, release the hounds. Cheeks may not be the most popular person here, but he is most definitely onto something.

So I ask you...if it were proven that removing “white supremacy” from our lexicon would greatly reduce the kind of despicable violence we are seeing lately, would you support it?

I don’t think these clowns who trolled MU’s NCAA celebration were originally reacting to the recent tragedy. You had no problem implying that they were. And if they were, then...being severely in error....all they ended up doing is creating more division, which was Cheek’s’ point to begin with. Inflammatory language and reckless accusation, especially where it is completely unsubstantiated by fact, leads to another predictable and sad cycle of violence.

You complete me

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2019, 12:17:28 AM »

I understand the point you’re trying to make but man, citing Peterson probably isn’t the route you want to go with that.

OT: https://twitter.com/mikhailaaleksis/status/1100674556992335874?s=21

Normal people

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2019, 05:17:46 AM »
LOL Jordan Peterson is a Grade A moron

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2019, 12:46:32 PM »

Yes, it is.  So is wrongly accusing people of it, also a big problem and further undermines the claims when real racism actually happens.

Odd that some people are choosing to ignore this, especially when one of our players is accused of it. 

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2019, 12:55:57 PM »
LOL Jordan Peterson is a Grade A moron

Yes. But, a great thinker to the simple-minded.