collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Twitter reaction to MU player yesterday at celebration  (Read 12136 times)

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
Re: Twitter reaction to MU player yesterday at celebration
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2019, 12:59:10 PM »
Yes, it is.  So is wrongly accusing people of it, also a big problem and further undermines the claims when real racism actually happens.

Odd that some people are choosing to ignore this, especially when one of our players is accused of it.

It's a problem stemming from the much larger and prolific issue of racism. I don't think anyone is ignoring that the inappropriate accustions sometimes happen and is a detriment to society, just pointing out that it isn't even close to a 50/50 issue. It is similar to using one false rape accusation as a reason to never believe victims when the statistics clearly state otherwise (I am in no way suggesting you do this, just to clarify).

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2019, 01:45:46 PM »
LOL Jordan Peterson is a Grade A moron

Ah the ad hominem.

Domain of the genius.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2019, 01:48:19 PM »
Yes. But, a great thinker to the simple-minded.

Because you disagree with him.

High-brow stuff.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2019, 02:14:12 PM »
You complete me

So you're aligned with a flat-earther. This actually makes sense.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2019, 02:22:54 PM »
The internet in general, and twitter in specific is horrible.

I don't have a cell phone, no Twitter, Facebook, snap chat, what's up,  no nothing.  I was the first in my circle to have a work related Blackberry, now I have serenity, privacy, peace of mind, and civility, all very worthwhile goals. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2019, 03:02:47 PM »
It's a problem stemming from the much larger and prolific issue of racism. I don't think anyone is ignoring that the inappropriate accustions sometimes happen and is a detriment to society, just pointing out that it isn't even close to a 50/50 issue. It is similar to using one false rape accusation as a reason to never believe victims when the statistics clearly state otherwise (I am in no way suggesting you do this, just to clarify).

The level of people being accused of things in today's social media age is off the charts.  Whether it is 50/50 or 20/80, it is too much. Lives can be ruined. I hope people take legal action to protect their good name, it's the only thing that will stop it.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2019, 08:30:07 PM »

Hey, not so fast, there are thousands of us around the GLOBE.

I’ll tell you for certain what was flat today....the once-proud Marquette basketball program.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2019, 10:18:18 PM »

You made a statement without a racist slur....congratulations.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2019, 11:25:44 PM »
Yes, it is.  So is wrongly accusing people of it, also a big problem and further undermines the claims when real racism actually happens.

Odd that some people are choosing to ignore this, especially when one of our players is accused of it.

On the bolded, so what happened to our player? Honest question. If it is a real problem, than it should significantly impact his life for the worse no? For a few hours, some random people he didn't know tweeted that he held up a white power symbol on national tv (which he did, but it is a symbol with many more common meanings) and by the next day, no one was talking about it. He didn't get sent to jail, or lose employment, or be kicked out of school, or have to live in poverty (things that racism/white supremacy does). He may have been uncomfortable and embarrassed for a few hours but I think that's part of life.

On the non-bolded, just because you don't agree with someone else's definition of racism doesn't mean that it is a false accusation or not "real racism."
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2019, 07:57:49 AM »
On the bolded, so what happened to our player? Honest question. If it is a real problem, than it should significantly impact his life for the worse no? For a few hours, some random people he didn't know tweeted that he held up a white power symbol on national tv (which he did, but it is a symbol with many more common meanings) and by the next day, no one was talking about it. He didn't get sent to jail, or lose employment, or be kicked out of school, or have to live in poverty (things that racism/white supremacy does). He may have been uncomfortable and embarrassed for a few hours but I think that's part of life.

On the non-bolded, just because you don't agree with someone else's definition of racism doesn't mean that it is a false accusation or not "real racism."

We don’t know, it has been 5 days. Fortunately many people rightfully pushed back on the idiocy of all these people on social media.  It’s like the debate we had about these men at schools wrongfully accused of sexual assault and handled so poorly by universities.  Remember?  The arguments were that these men will be fine, nothing happens, their lives aren’t ruined, etc.  Yesterdau USC kicker sued USC for his expulsion....he’s going to win I hope.  We are so overzealous as a society right now to punish without taking a deep breath that we are bringing innocent people down.  Some may be minor like the MU Twitter sitauation, some have absolute life changing impacts. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2019, 12:21:49 PM »
We don’t know, it has been 5 days. Fortunately many people rightfully pushed back on the idiocy of all these people on social media.  It’s like the debate we had about these men at schools wrongfully accused of sexual assault and handled so poorly by universities.  Remember?  The arguments were that these men will be fine, nothing happens, their lives aren’t ruined, etc.  Yesterdau USC kicker sued USC for his expulsion....he’s going to win I hope.  We are so overzealous as a society right now to punish without taking a deep breath that we are bringing innocent people down.  Some may be minor like the MU Twitter sitauation, some have absolute life changing impacts.

So nothing happened...so maybe this incident wasn't as big a problem as you thought it was.
TAMU

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2019, 03:19:58 PM »
So nothing happened...so maybe this incident wasn't as big a problem as you thought it was.

+1
#fauxoutrage

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2019, 03:47:13 PM »

How do we know?  It's been 5 days. This kid goes to apply for a job this Summer, goes to apply to grad school, someone does a background check via social media on him.....which ALL major companies do now....and the yahoos that identified this kid on social media come back to haunt him even though he did nothing wrong.   I hope it doesn't impact one of our own on the team (or anyone for that matter), the fact that his name was drawn through the mud was ridiculous.

We just don't know.  What I'd like to know is why is it seemingly ok for innocent people getting pegged this way?  There should be severe consequences for this stuff. I hope like hell FB, Twitter, etc lose some big cases.  The stuff they ban people for while also allowing some of the most ridiculous charges, is nauseating and can be life changing.  A number of lawsuits filed already.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2019, 03:26:40 AM »
How do we know?  It's been 5 days. This kid goes to apply for a job this Summer, goes to apply to grad school, someone does a background check via social media on him.....which ALL major companies do now....and the yahoos that identified this kid on social media come back to haunt him even though he did nothing wrong.   I hope it doesn't impact one of our own on the team (or anyone for that matter), the fact that his name was drawn through the mud was ridiculous.

We just don't know.  What I'd like to know is why is it seemingly ok for innocent people getting pegged this way?  There should be severe consequences for this stuff. I hope like hell FB, Twitter, etc lose some big cases.  The stuff they ban people for while also allowing some of the most ridiculous charges, is nauseating and can be life changing.  A number of lawsuits filed already.

You let me know know when this incident significantly impacts our player's life. I'll wait. As someone who does social media background checks on students, this would be the most giant of nothingburgers....and I'm a pretty proud SJW.

And just to address this again, you seem to be implying that this is a false accusation, maybe I'm reading it wrong, but that's how its coming off. This isn't a false accusation. He did make a symbol that has been associated with white supremacy. Its a symbol that has dozens of other meanings, most of them more common in American culture. Just because you and I interpret it one way, doesn't make it wrong when someone else interprets it another way. It certainly didn't help that they same symbol was used by the mosque shooter just days earlier.
TAMU

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2019, 10:34:57 AM »
You let me know know when this incident significantly impacts our player's life. I'll wait. As someone who does social media background checks on students, this would be the most giant of nothingburgers....and I'm a pretty proud SJW.

And just to address this again, you seem to be implying that this is a false accusation, maybe I'm reading it wrong, but that's how its coming off. This isn't a false accusation. He did make a symbol that has been associated with white supremacy. Its a symbol that has dozens of other meanings, most of them more common in American culture. Just because you and I interpret it one way, doesn't make it wrong when someone else interprets it another way. It certainly didn't help that they same symbol was used by the mosque shooter just days earlier.

Except that it is a complete hoax created by 4Chan to trigger SJWs, which apparently it has.....and what's worse, there are so many out there that believe it and then levy charges against innocent people.

https://blog.emojipedia.org/no-the-ok-hand-is-not-a-symbol-of-white-power/

Your mileage may very, but there are corporations when they do these checks they are so ultra conservative on this stuff, anything that they can point to as something they are unsure of can be a problem.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2019, 01:02:07 PM »
Except that it is a complete hoax created by 4Chan to trigger SJWs, which apparently it has.....and what's worse, there are so many out there that believe it and then levy charges against innocent people.

https://blog.emojipedia.org/no-the-ok-hand-is-not-a-symbol-of-white-power/

Your mileage may very, but there are corporations when they do these checks they are so ultra conservative on this stuff, anything that they can point to as something they are unsure of can be a problem.

I'm sure you are aware that symbols change with the times. It does not matter that it started as a hoax. It has been adopted and used in a way to symbolize hate. A man who killed 50 people for being Muslim just used the symbol in court. It may have started as a hoax, but it is no longer. Just add it to the list of things that white supremacists have ruined. Now that doesn't mean I'll never use the symbol again, because it has many non hateful meanings. But if someone tells me "hey, why are using a white power symbol?" I won't get angry at them for being oversensitive, I'll simply explain the intent I had and apologize for offending them and use a different symbol around that person. It really is that simple.

There may be some ultra conservative business out there on this topic, in my experience there are a lot more ultra liberal businesses on this topic who are willing to hire people despite much more concerning behavior, allegations, and in some cases convictions. And again, potentially missing out on one or two job opportunity is not "ruining a life." Most people go through life missing out on more job opportunities than getting job opportunities. I have found that most people don't have ruined lives, and those that do its for much more serious reasons.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 01:06:37 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2019, 07:27:52 PM »
Life is so unfair for us white guys. Thank God we have Chico's to stand up for us.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2019, 01:00:12 AM »
Life is so unfair for us white guys. Thank God we have Chico's to stand up for us.

Look who plays the race card again because he has no other talking point. Way to go Mutaman, always about race with you.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2019, 11:52:07 AM »
Twitter is the place people go to lose their souls from what I can see. 
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #69 on: March 25, 2019, 02:21:29 PM »
Look who plays the race card again because he has no other talking point. Way to go Mutaman, always about race with you.

Let's see, Chico's posts a link to a story about a gesture now linked to the white power movement, then accuses others of talking about race.

Ayup.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #70 on: March 25, 2019, 02:45:23 PM »
Let's see, Chico's posts a link to a story about a gesture now linked to the white power movement, then accuses others of talking about race.

Ayup.

Stop picking on chicos.

He has had to get through his entire life with the enormous burden of being a white, Christian male in America.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #71 on: March 25, 2019, 10:33:10 PM »

Ayup.

I posted a story about a young man wrongly accused by morons of being racist.  I didn’t call anyone racist or imply it.....huge difference that even on your worst day you should be able to figure out...but alas.....

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #72 on: March 26, 2019, 12:00:11 AM »
I posted a story about a young man wrongly accused by morons of being racist.  I didn’t call anyone racist or imply it.....huge difference that even on your worst day you should be able to figure out...but alas.....

I may have missed it, but I think most people accused him of flashing a symbol associated with white supremacists (which he did), not being a racist. It's a symbol with a lot more benign meanings and the benign meaning was his intent, but that doesn't make it a false accusation. There were probably a few idiots who called him a racist but those people are just that, idiots.

A false allegation means someone completely made something up, not they interpreted an actual action differently than you interpreted it.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 12:02:03 AM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #73 on: March 26, 2019, 01:49:10 PM »
You started a thread about a symbol that has been adopted by white nationalists and then whined that others were playing the race card.

It must be exhausting to always be the victim.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #74 on: March 26, 2019, 02:09:07 PM »
Turns out chicos was right about the rush to judgment.

All charges against Jussie Smollett dropped.

https://www.apnews.com/1cb151c45b714a749ebadf8e50910a0d
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback