[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Twitter reaction to MU player yesterday at celebration  (Read 12132 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: Twitter reaction to MU player yesterday at celebration
« Reply #100 on: March 28, 2019, 06:05:31 PM »
Well, here in NC, crosses are everywhere. To atheists like me and religious non-Christians, the constant presence of in-your-face Christianity is annoying, but we chose to live here knowing that this was Hallelujah Kountry, so that's on us.

The only time I believe crosses should be removed is if they are displayed in public schools, courtrooms, etc. Thankfully, most judges agree with that.

But let's not shift the goalposts further down the road.

You wouldn't walk up to an Orthodox Jew on Dec. 24 and say "Merry Christmas" to him or her just because you celebrate it, right?

Merry Christmas to ALL and to ALL a goodnight.

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #101 on: March 28, 2019, 06:07:49 PM »
Well stated Jockey.  Like I said above, change is not easy, even if it is the right thing to do.  And nobody is perfect and will be in the right all the time.  Like TAMU said, you apologize for the mistakes, learn from them, and move on.  But awareness is really the most important step in this process for me.  That is awareness of your own actions and awareness of situations where those actions are offensive to others.

Does that apply to those you disagree with?  😂. That’s usually where I find the tolerance level and awareness spidey sense starts to malfunction. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

NWarsh

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #102 on: March 29, 2019, 09:34:11 AM »
Does that apply to those you disagree with?  😂. That’s usually where I find the tolerance level and awareness spidey sense starts to malfunction.

Even more so then...if not, then we get what we currently have going on in our society, just a bunch of shouting.  Everybody has their own perspective on things, and it is important to have honest and open conversations on those differences.  Unfortunately a lot of times that is hard because people will immediately shut down when they talk to somebody who disagrees with them.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #103 on: March 29, 2019, 10:08:18 AM »
Merry Christmas to ALL and to ALL a goodnight.

Attaboy.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #104 on: March 29, 2019, 10:29:02 AM »
TAMU, I have a great deal of respect for you, and on a micro level, I agree with you (and others taking the same position).  As I go about my day-to-day life, I'd really prefer to avoid offending people.  Even in cases where I personally believe that there is no real reason to be offended.  In general, if I said something or did something and someone I interact with told me that it was offensive, more likely than not I'd refrain from saying or doing it in the future.  I consider that the "micro level."

But, on a macro level, I have a lot of problems with some of these things that I consider a little absurd.  I'm tired of people who spend their days looking for something to be offended by.  I very seriously and sincerely doubt that there is even a single person who saw Lelito, believed he was making a racist gesture, and was offended.  Yet, people on Twitter went to work and here we are 10 days later discussing this.  I find it maddening and people are just constantly playing "gotcha" and pointing out completely benign behavior and arguing "some people are offended by that" even though it's quite likely that nobody actually was.  And, for the record, "both sides" tend to play this game (although I personally believe that one "side" tends to do it more in a reactionary/ironic way that less sincerely held but equally annoying -- the oft-cited faux outrage).
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #105 on: March 30, 2019, 01:15:28 AM »
Still, I definitely agree with you. There is a population of people out there who weaponize social media and aren't genuinely offended but instead just looking to attack. I have been targeted by such people before and I have found the best defense to be to still apologize for the offense given. If they don't accept it, well I have don't everything in my control to address their concern so all I can do at that point is remove myself from the situation. In most cases, they are not reasonable people. It's one of the many reasons I limit how much time I spend on social media.

In my line of work, I see a lot of complaints that amount to nothing. When we get these complaints, there is usually some sort of unprofessional, creepy, or dickish behavior....but it is not a policy violation, sometimes it's not even close to a policy violation. Where these complaints go sideways, is when the person alleged of the behavior gets wind of it and then retaliates in some way against the person who made the allegation. That's when the media/attorneys get involved and if there was true retaliation, it may end up turning a nothing complaint into a legitimate one. What I have never seen is a nothing complaint that goes sideways when the alleged listens and apologizes for the alleged behavior. I had a recent example where a student accused a professor of making sexist jokes in class. It was unprofessional behavior but not even close to a policy violation. To the student's credit, they didn't just complain to our office, they also emailed the professor their concerns. The professor wrote the student back a genuine apology for offending them and promised to be more careful with their humor during class in the future. The student immediately dropped the allegation after receiving the email. I have found that most times, people who say they were offended simply want to be listened to and shown respect and decency.

This specific situation I think was an example of poor timing. IIRC, the New Zealand terrorist had just flashed that symbol in court literally a day earlier. That story was on every major media outlet and then there was poor Lelito making the same symbol but for a completely benign reason on national television. I don't know what the motivation of the first person to call Lelito out was, could have been malicious or could have been genuine, I tend to give the benefit of the doubt. But I do believe that if that story had broken a week later or a week earlier, no one would have noticed.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #106 on: March 30, 2019, 07:50:50 AM »
I send out Merry Christmas cards to friends and family, because that is what WE celebrate.  Not all are Christians or celebrate Christmas.  At least one is Muslim, a number are Jewish, or atheists.  It is what we celebrate, that is why.  Tis the season. If I am at a store, buying something from the clerk, or helping someone out during that time of the season, I say thank you and Merry Christmas.  If they say Happy Hanukah...I acknowledge that and wish them a Happy Hanukah.  We all smile, the world continues to spin on its axis. So on and so forth.  Pretty simple, not hard, not mean, very straight forward.

If some guy decided that a handshake was their new signal for some absurd endorsement of terrible behavior, I would absolutely not stop using it.  Why would I allow some a-hole group of stealing something like that? For the same reason why have people let the simple A-ok to be put in this situation. Beyond dumb. What's next, thumbs up?  Give me a break.

Understand your viewpoint, question, though. What do you think would happen if you took a minute to change those handful of cards to the non-Christians and specifically wish them what they celebrate?

Certainly very little effort on your part for potentially big improvements on humanities part. Seems worth considering.