[Today at 08:18:48 AM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Twitter reaction to MU player yesterday at celebration  (Read 12220 times)

StillAWarrior

• All American
Re: Twitter reaction to MU player yesterday at celebration
« Reply #75 on: March 26, 2019, 03:51:22 PM »
Turns out chicos was right about the rush to judgment.

All charges against Jussie Smollett dropped.

https://www.apnews.com/1cb151c45b714a749ebadf8e50910a0d

Yeah, it's pretty clear from everything that I've read today (aside from statements by Smullet, his family and his attorneys) that there was no rush to judgment here.  Even the prosecutors who decided to dismiss the case made it pretty clear that Smullet did what he was accused of.  They simply claim that they decided that there were other, more serious crimes to prosecute.  And I think that is probably pretty sensible - even if it is unusual.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #76 on: March 26, 2019, 04:16:29 PM »
Yeah, it's pretty clear from everything that I've read today (aside from statements by Smullet, his family and his attorneys) that there was no rush to judgment here.  Even the prosecutors who decided to dismiss the case made it pretty clear that Smullet did what he was accused of.  They simply claim that they decided that there were other, more serious crimes to prosecute.  And I think that is probably pretty sensible - even if it is unusual.

Oh just stop with your common-sense postings.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #77 on: March 26, 2019, 09:27:28 PM »
Turns out chicos was right about the rush to judgment.

All charges against Jussie Smollett dropped.

https://www.apnews.com/1cb151c45b714a749ebadf8e50910a0d

“Whitewash”. That was from the mayor of Chicago.  The prosecutor says he is guilty, but dropped the charges.  The superintendent of police is beside himself. 

What a joke, but this is Cook County and that’s all that needs to be said.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #78 on: March 26, 2019, 09:30:19 PM »
I may have missed it, but I think most people accused him of flashing a symbol associated with white supremacists (which he did), not being a racist. It's a symbol with a lot more benign meanings and the benign meaning was his intent, but that doesn't make it a false accusation. There were probably a few idiots who called him a racist but those people are just that, idiots.

A false allegation means someone completely made something up, not they interpreted an actual action differently than you interpreted it.

You indeed missed it, many said he was racist for using the ok symbol....there were several hundred tweets first few days, many claiming just that.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #79 on: March 26, 2019, 11:32:23 PM »
I'm sure you are aware that symbols change with the times. It does not matter that it started as a hoax. It has been adopted and used in a way to symbolize hate. A man who killed 50 people for being Muslim just used the symbol in court. It may have started as a hoax, but it is no longer. Just add it to the list of things that white supremacists have ruined. Now that doesn't mean I'll never use the symbol again, because it has many non hateful meanings. But if someone tells me "hey, why are using a white power symbol?" I won't get angry at them for being oversensitive, I'll simply explain the intent I had and apologize for offending them and use a different symbol around that person. It really is that simple.

Symbols may change with the times, but so what. A white supremacist is not going to dictate that I cannot use a symbol to say 'OK' that I have used my entire life. Why would you apologize? You did nothing wrong.

A few years ago, some in this country tried to make "Liberal" a dirty word. Many Liberals started (and continue) to call themselves Progressives, instead. Every one of those people are cowards. We can never let hate groups define what we call ourselves (or what symbols we use).

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #80 on: March 27, 2019, 12:33:32 AM »
Symbols may change with the times, but so what. A white supremacist is not going to dictate that I cannot use a symbol to say 'OK' that I have used my entire life. Why would you apologize? You did nothing wrong.

I apologize for Godwinning this, but you would be okay with someone displaying a swastika or using the heil sign? After all they had non-offensive meanings until a white supremacist used them to symbolize his movement.

You say I did nothing wrong, but I did. I offended someone. I didn't mean to do it but I did it regardless of my intent. The right thing to do IMHO is to apologize and respect the fact that for this person that symbol means something hateful. I will continue to use the ok symbol in my everyday life, but I will respect that person by refraining to use it around them. It's really not a big burden. I can use a thumbs up just as easily as the ok symbol. If I forget and mess up, I will apologize again. It really doesn't have to be a big deal. All of this assuming that the offense is genuine of course. If the person is just trying to be difficult, that is something else entirely.

Let's think about this another way. Say you are working with someone you don't really know. They ask if you if everything looks good and you respond by flashing them the ok symbol. Suddenly, that person bursts into tears. You have no idea what happened so you ask what's wrong. The person then explains that their cousin, brother, what have you was one of the people who died in the mosque shootings. Seeing the symbol used by their relative's murderer just brought all the pain they've been feeling to the surface. Are you going to tell that person that you did nothing wrong and continue to use the ok symbol around them? Or are you going to apologize for unintentionally hurting them and use a thumbs up around that person from now on?

We all have different experiences and different cultural contexts that inform our perception. To assume our interpretation is the only one or the correct one is a mistake.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 01:04:18 AM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #81 on: March 27, 2019, 08:04:33 PM »
I apologize for Godwinning this, but you would be okay with someone displaying a swastika or using the heil sign? After all they had non-offensive meanings until a white supremacist used them to symbolize his movement.

You say I did nothing wrong, but I did. I offended someone. I didn't mean to do it but I did it regardless of my intent. The right thing to do IMHO is to apologize and respect the fact that for this person that symbol means something hateful. I will continue to use the ok symbol in my everyday life, but I will respect that person by refraining to use it around them. It's really not a big burden. I can use a thumbs up just as easily as the ok symbol. If I forget and mess up, I will apologize again. It really doesn't have to be a big deal. All of this assuming that the offense is genuine of course. If the person is just trying to be difficult, that is something else entirely.

Let's think about this another way. Say you are working with someone you don't really know. They ask if you if everything looks good and you respond by flashing them the ok symbol. Suddenly, that person bursts into tears. You have no idea what happened so you ask what's wrong. The person then explains that their cousin, brother, what have you was one of the people who died in the mosque shootings. Seeing the symbol used by their relative's murderer just brought all the pain they've been feeling to the surface. Are you going to tell that person that you did nothing wrong and continue to use the ok symbol around them? Or are you going to apologize for unintentionally hurting them and use a thumbs up around that person from now on?

We all have different experiences and different cultural contexts that inform our perception. To assume our interpretation is the only one or the correct one is a mistake.

If anti-semites decides the handshake was their official symbol of action and a bunch of people actually believed this nonsense to make it a thing, much like SJWs got hoodwinked on the OK thing, you would stop shaking people’s hands?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #82 on: March 27, 2019, 08:51:10 PM »
If anti-semites decides the handshake was their official symbol of action and a bunch of people actually believed this nonsense to make it a thing, much like SJWs got hoodwinked on the OK thing, you would stop shaking people’s hands?

No. I would keep shaking peoples hands until I met someone who said "I don't do that because to me it is a symbol of hate" then out of respect I would give that person a fist bump instead. I would then continue to shake other people's hands....which is exactly what I said in my last post.

I have a personal example of that actually. There is a female student from Iran who works in a department that I share a building with. When I met her I offered to shake her hand. She didn't accept it and waved instead and introduced herself. At the time I thought it was odd but I assumed she was feeling sick or something and didn't want to spread it around. I guess it must of showed on my face because the next time I saw her she felt compelled to explain that in her faith it wasn't appropriate for men and women to shake hands and apologized if she caused me offense. I said no apologies were needed and apologized for putting her on the spot. Now every time I see her I just wave and say hi. It would be grossly disrespectful of me if I kept insisting to her that she should shake my hand.

No one is saying that you are a racist or a bad person if you use the ok symbol or "shake someone's hand". Well maybe some idiots on twitter are, but those people are idiots, or at least they are idiots when on social media. It's just about being respectful of someone else when they interpret something differently than you do. It doesn't have to be the big deal it is often made out to be.

I do want to ask though. You criticize SJWs for getting hoodwinked and they did, it started as a hoax. But a man who just murdered over 50 people for being Muslim used that symbol to punctuate his deeds in court. Are you saying that in my example, if you met a relative of one of those victims, you would tell them they have no right to get upset? You are a good man Jamie, I could be wrong but I think you would apologize and refrain from using that symbol around that person again.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 08:58:53 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #83 on: March 27, 2019, 10:16:03 PM »
Merry Christmas.   If someone tells me they don't celebrate it, I say to them....politely...I DO.  Merry Christmas.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #84 on: March 27, 2019, 10:24:26 PM »
Merry Christmas.   If someone tells me they don't celebrate it, I say to them....politely...I DO.  Merry Christmas.

So if you know somebody is Jewish or Muslim, you politely wish him or her Merry Christmas because you celebrate it?

Do you also wish others happy birthday when it's your birthday?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #85 on: March 27, 2019, 10:51:43 PM »
So if you know somebody is Jewish or Muslim, you politely wish him or her Merry Christmas because you celebrate it?

Do you also wish others happy birthday when it's your birthday?

I send out Merry Christmas cards to friends and family, because that is what WE celebrate.  Not all are Christians or celebrate Christmas.  At least one is Muslim, a number are Jewish, or atheists.  It is what we celebrate, that is why.  Tis the season. If I am at a store, buying something from the clerk, or helping someone out during that time of the season, I say thank you and Merry Christmas.  If they say Happy Hanukah...I acknowledge that and wish them a Happy Hanukah.  We all smile, the world continues to spin on its axis. So on and so forth.  Pretty simple, not hard, not mean, very straight forward.

If some guy decided that a handshake was their new signal for some absurd endorsement of terrible behavior, I would absolutely not stop using it.  Why would I allow some a-hole group of stealing something like that? For the same reason why have people let the simple A-ok to be put in this situation. Beyond dumb. What's next, thumbs up?  Give me a break. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #86 on: March 27, 2019, 11:14:43 PM »
I send out Merry Christmas cards to friends and family, because that is what WE celebrate.  Not all are Christians or celebrate Christmas.  At least one is Muslim, a number are Jewish, or atheists.  It is what we celebrate, that is why.  Tis the season. If I am at a store, buying something from the clerk, or helping someone out during that time of the season, I say thank you and Merry Christmas.  If they say Happy Hanukah...I acknowledge that and wish them a Happy Hanukah.  We all smile, the world continues to spin on its axis. So on and so forth.  Pretty simple, not hard, not mean, very straight forward.

If some guy decided that a handshake was their new signal for some absurd endorsement of terrible behavior, I would absolutely not stop using it.  Why would I allow some a-hole group of stealing something like that? For the same reason why have people let the simple A-ok to be put in this situation. Beyond dumb. What's next, thumbs up?  Give me a break.

What's next? A swastika for crissakes?

The swastika was a Hindu symbol of prosperity and good luck. So what if a bunch of a-holes murdered millions of people with that symbol as a backdrop. I like it. I think it's sporty! And anybody who disagrees is an a-hole.

OK, I think it's obvious I'm being intentionally dopey there. But, seriously ...

You would go up to an Orthodox Jew, in full regalia, and wish him Merry Christmas because that's what you celebrate?

Cool.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #87 on: March 27, 2019, 11:29:23 PM »
What's next? A swastika for crissakes?

The swastika was a Hindu symbol of prosperity and good luck. So what if a bunch of a-holes murdered millions of people with that symbol as a backdrop. I like it. I think it's sporty! And anybody who disagrees is an a-hole.

OK, I think it's obvious I'm being intentionally dopey there. But, seriously ...

You would go up to an Orthodox Jew, in full regalia, and wish him Merry Christmas because that's what you celebrate?

Cool.

::)  Yes, and a-holes took the crucifix and burned it, too, with sheets over their heads.

Don't let people hijack symbols.  It is beyond ridiculous that people are even hesitating for one second to use the A-OK symbol because they think it will brand them accordingly.....only thing more ridiculous is people believing that those using it fit the bill.  ENOUGH

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #88 on: March 27, 2019, 11:30:31 PM »

No one is saying you can't say Merry Christmas. Your first post is a bit rough. I don't know if it's intentional or not but it comes off as you reprimanding the other person for telling you they don't celebrate the same holidays as you. But the second post you say that if faced with someone you know is Jewish, you would tell them Happy Hanukkah instead of Merry Christmas. That is great because you are going out of your way to say something that you know that they will appreciate. I would hope that if that person knew that you celebrated Christmas that they would return the respect you showed them to you.

Again you are fighting an argument that no one is making. Not one person in this conversation has told you to stop making the ok symbol, or shaking hands, or giving a thumbs up in your everyday life. What I have said, is that if someone says that symbol means something hurtful to them, you should them respect by not using that symbol in front of them.

I have now given you two examples. The theoretical one where someone lost a relative to the mass murderer in New Zealand and was brought to tears, and the one from my actual life where a young woman declined to shake hands because it goes against her faith. What do you think the most right thing to do in those situations is? Insist to the person that they have no right to be offended and continue to do something that they have asked you not to do around them? Or do you apologize for unintentionally hurting them and give them a good thumbs up, fist bump, or wave the next time you see them?
TAMU

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #89 on: March 27, 2019, 11:31:11 PM »
No. I would keep shaking peoples hands until I met someone who said "I don't do that because to me it is a symbol of hate" then out of respect I would give that person a fist bump instead. I would then continue to shake other people's hands....which is exactly what I said in my last post.

I have a personal example of that actually. There is a female student from Iran who works in a department that I share a building with. When I met her I offered to shake her hand. She didn't accept it and waved instead and introduced herself. At the time I thought it was odd but I assumed she was feeling sick or something and didn't want to spread it around. I guess it must of showed on my face because the next time I saw her she felt compelled to explain that in her faith it wasn't appropriate for men and women to shake hands and apologized if she caused me offense. I said no apologies were needed and apologized for putting her on the spot. Now every time I see her I just wave and say hi. It would be grossly disrespectful of me if I kept insisting to her that she should shake my hand.

No one is saying that you are a racist or a bad person if you use the ok symbol or "shake someone's hand". Well maybe some idiots on twitter are, but those people are idiots, or at least they are idiots when on social media. It's just about being respectful of someone else when they interpret something differently than you do. It doesn't have to be the big deal it is often made out to be.

I do want to ask though. You criticize SJWs for getting hoodwinked and they did, it started as a hoax. But a man who just murdered over 50 people for being Muslim used that symbol to punctuate his deeds in court. Are you saying that in my example, if you met a relative of one of those victims, you would tell them they have no right to get upset? You are a good man Jamie, I could be wrong but I think you would apologize and refrain from using that symbol around that person again.

So, you like keep a book or use your phone to keep track of everyone you offend by doing or saying everyday things?  I can imagine the brain power you must use to remember all of those perceived slights that you've had to apologize for over the years.  Must be exhausting.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #90 on: March 27, 2019, 11:41:42 PM »
So, you like keep a book or use your phone to keep track of everyone you offend by doing or saying everyday things?  I can imagine the brain power you must use to remember all of those perceived slights that you've had to apologize for over the years.  Must be exhausting.

It's not exhausting at all. I don't find apologizing for an unintentional offense or giving someone a wave instead of a hand shake to be that tiring. Plus, I value respect. I appreciate it when people show it me and I try to always show it to others. Golden rule, Jesuit values and all that. I don't mind dedicating a small bit of brain power to it.

What do you think I should have done when I met the young woman from Iran? Should I have insisted she shake my hand? Or should I have respected her wishes?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 11:43:39 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

MU82

• All American
« Reply #91 on: March 27, 2019, 11:43:13 PM »
::)  Yes, and a-holes took the crucifix and burned it, too, with sheets over their heads.

The crosses aren't the "bad" symbols here. The sheets over the heads are.

Oftentimes, those crosses were burned in the front yards of Jews. Because they didn't appreciate it when folks said Merry Christmas to 'em, I suppose.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #92 on: March 27, 2019, 11:46:31 PM »

I would express my sincere sympathy for what happened to their relative. I would say that it is an 'OK' symbol that I used my entire life and I will NEVER let a hate group define who I am.

The swastika example seems chico-esque in finding the most extreme example possible on which to base your opinion.. The last paragraph makes it sound like you base anything you do or say on how someone might perceive it  - reasonable or not.

I don't say these things to attack you in any way. I would rate you at the top of all posters on Scoop in your thoughtfulness and non-confrontational nature of your posts. This may even be the 1st time I have ever completely disagreed with a post of yours.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #93 on: March 28, 2019, 12:30:50 AM »
I would express my sincere sympathy for what happened to their relative. I would say that it is an 'OK' symbol that I used my entire life and I will NEVER let a hate group define who I am.

The swastika example seems chico-esque in finding the most extreme example possible on which to base your opinion.. The last paragraph makes it sound like you base anything you do or say on how someone might perceive it  - reasonable or not.

I don't say these things to attack you in any way. I would rate you at the top of all posters on Scoop in your thoughtfulness and non-confrontational nature of your posts. This may even be the 1st time I have ever completely disagreed with a post of yours.

On your first paragraph, I will just say that I see it very differently than you do. While I appreciate your ideals, I think they are much less important in that moment than showing love, care, and respect to a person who has endured a terrible tragedy.

On the second paragraph, I did preface the example with an apology for Godwinning. Only point I was trying to make was that symbols change over time and that they mean different things to different people and different cultures.

On the bolded, that's not what I'm trying to say, though you seem to be the third person who has taken it that way, so maybe I'm a poor communicator. I live my life according to my own cultural context. I use the ok symbol, I say Merry Christmas, I proudly proclaim God Bless America, I swear way more often than I should, I make the occasional off color joke, I am a proud Christian and will tell people about it if they ask me.  There are some situations where I try to anticipate other's cultural contexts and act accordingly. For example, if I'm in a professional setting or representing the university somehow, I will make an extra effort to take other's views into account and act accordingly, but honestly these situations are pretty small % of my daily life.

What I am arguing is that when my cultural context unintentionally clashes with someone else's....to say it another way, when I say or do something that is non-offensive to me but offensive to someone else....I think the most right thing to do is to apologize for the unintentional offense and move on. Personally, I have found if you show a person respect they will return it in kind. Where I have gotten in trouble in the past is when I have dug in and insisted I did nothing wrong. This has the potential to turn a slight offense into full blown brawl. Oddly, I think I am saying that I don't get offended when other people get offended.

And I mentioned this elsewhere but I'll say again that the offense must be genuine or reasonable as you put it. If a person is just trying to be difficult or is looking for a fight, than that is something else entirely. I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt, but especially in the cesspools of social media there are some unreasonable claims out there.

As for your last paragraph, I appreciate it. While our politics often align, I sometimes wish you would be more non-confrontational. If you give respect, you will usually receive respect in return. If you give confrontation, you will almost always receive confrontation in return.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 12:39:44 AM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #94 on: March 28, 2019, 12:51:55 AM »
The crosses aren't the "bad" symbols here. The sheets over the heads are.

Oftentimes, those crosses were burned in the front yards of Jews. Because they didn't appreciate it when folks said Merry Christmas to 'em, I suppose.

According to some folks, the crosses are bad, too.....can't have them being seen by common folk you know.  Remove remove.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #95 on: March 28, 2019, 09:13:00 AM »
According to some folks, the crosses are bad, too.....can't have them being seen by common folk you know.  Remove remove.

Well, here in NC, crosses are everywhere. To atheists like me and religious non-Christians, the constant presence of in-your-face Christianity is annoying, but we chose to live here knowing that this was Hallelujah Kountry, so that's on us.

The only time I believe crosses should be removed is if they are displayed in public schools, courtrooms, etc. Thankfully, most judges agree with that.

But let's not shift the goalposts further down the road.

You wouldn't walk up to an Orthodox Jew on Dec. 24 and say "Merry Christmas" to him or her just because you celebrate it, right?

NWarsh

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #96 on: March 28, 2019, 09:28:14 AM »
On your first paragraph, I will just say that I see it very differently than you do. While I appreciate your ideals, I think they are much less important in that moment than showing love, care, and respect to a person who has endured a terrible tragedy.

On the second paragraph, I did preface the example with an apology for Godwinning. Only point I was trying to make was that symbols change over time and that they mean different things to different people and different cultures.

On the bolded, that's not what I'm trying to say, though you seem to be the third person who has taken it that way, so maybe I'm a poor communicator. I live my life according to my own cultural context. I use the ok symbol, I say Merry Christmas, I proudly proclaim God Bless America, I swear way more often than I should, I make the occasional off color joke, I am a proud Christian and will tell people about it if they ask me.  There are some situations where I try to anticipate other's cultural contexts and act accordingly. For example, if I'm in a professional setting or representing the university somehow, I will make an extra effort to take other's views into account and act accordingly, but honestly these situations are pretty small % of my daily life.

What I am arguing is that when my cultural context unintentionally clashes with someone else's....to say it another way, when I say or do something that is non-offensive to me but offensive to someone else....I think the most right thing to do is to apologize for the unintentional offense and move on. Personally, I have found if you show a person respect they will return it in kind. Where I have gotten in trouble in the past is when I have dug in and insisted I did nothing wrong. This has the potential to turn a slight offense into full blown brawl. Oddly, I think I am saying that I don't get offended when other people get offended.

And I mentioned this elsewhere but I'll say again that the offense must be genuine or reasonable as you put it. If a person is just trying to be difficult or is looking for a fight, than that is something else entirely. I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt, but especially in the cesspools of social media there are some unreasonable claims out there.

As for your last paragraph, I appreciate it. While our politics often align, I sometimes wish you would be more non-confrontational. If you give respect, you will usually receive respect in return. If you give confrontation, you will almost always receive confrontation in return.

I am baffled how this is that complicated to some people.  It is just being a decent human being and having empathy.

Although now that I think about it, it does makes sense.  And it is important that we call out what is happening.  This is a psychological defense mechanism to a rapidly changing world that is moving to embracing diversity and is more in tune than ever to what the minority (which is moving towards a majority) finds offensive.  Of course, a lot of those items are things the majority has been doing for a long time and change is not easy, even if it is the right thing to do.  It really is a last ditch effort to hold onto the power that they have always had.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #97 on: March 28, 2019, 09:45:30 AM »

Come on TAMU. Now I'm stuck agreeing almost entirely with your post again. I also would show love, care, and respect to a person who has endured a terrible tragedy. But I feel any adult would know the symbol has meant 'OK' throughout history and might even appreciate that I won't let a hate group define what I do. I have no problem with your point, however. We all need to react how we feel is right.

As far as being confrontational - yes, I am often guilty. I see it as being reactionary rather than confrontational, but that may just be splitting hairs. I keep vowing to change, but it doesn't seem to pan out :-\

We are reminded of the problem of sensitivity every year when some school district bans Huck Finn, To Kill a Mockingbird, etc. Balancing reality and truth with sensitivity or censorship (not meant as saying sensitivity and censorship are similar) is a hard choice for anyone who cares about all of mankind.

NWarsh

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #98 on: March 28, 2019, 09:51:54 AM »
Come on TAMU. Now I'm stuck agreeing almost entirely with your post again. I also would show love, care, and respect to a person who has endured a terrible tragedy. But I feel any adult would know the symbol has meant 'OK' throughout history and might even appreciate that I won't let a hate group define what I do. I have no problem with your point, however. We all need to react how we feel is right.

As far as being confrontational - yes, I am often guilty. I see it as being reactionary rather than confrontational, but that may just be splitting hairs. I keep vowing to change, but it doesn't seem to pan out :-\

We are reminded of the problem of sensitivity every year when some school district bans Huck Finn, To Kill a Mockingbird, etc. Balancing reality and truth with sensitivity or censorship (not meant as saying sensitivity and censorship are similar) is a hard choice for anyone who cares about all of mankind.

Well stated Jockey.  Like I said above, change is not easy, even if it is the right thing to do.  And nobody is perfect and will be in the right all the time.  Like TAMU said, you apologize for the mistakes, learn from them, and move on.  But awareness is really the most important step in this process for me.  That is awareness of your own actions and awareness of situations where those actions are offensive to others.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #99 on: March 28, 2019, 05:58:17 PM »

Plastic balls on trees too.