[Today at 03:00:28 PM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by LloydsLegs
[Today at 02:48:52 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Pakuni
[Today at 02:26:49 PM]

MU Gear by MUfan12
[Today at 01:31:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Entrance Exam Cheating Scandal  (Read 22508 times)

Not A Serious Person

• All American
Re: Entrance Exam Cheating Scandal
« Reply #100 on: March 13, 2019, 03:47:32 PM »
Not entirely correct.

Men's Tennis is not a headcount sport. They only get 4.5 scholarships to divide.

Participation is based on how many people are on the roster for the first competition. 

Partial rides are allowed for headcount sports, but they still take up 1 spot. It depends on the school's budget as not all sports are fully funded, even headcount sports.  For example, a women's tennis player could only get $25K in athletic aid but they count as a full.

All sports are counted for Title IX purposes. It comes down to how much aid is offered and allocated throughout the athletic department.  However, Title IX compliance is not just measured based upon equality or meeting the same proportion as the student body. There are three, disjunctive prongs a school can use to show Title IX compliance. One is meeting demand. If there are spots but not enough women are filling them then that's ok. You don't have to add players or hand out scholarships just to add them for numbers.

Yes ... I should have been more specific.  Women's Tennis is a headcount sport with nine scholarships.  Men's tennis is an equivalency sport with 4.5 scholarships.
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #101 on: March 13, 2019, 04:03:52 PM »
Not entirely correct.

Men's Tennis is not a headcount sport. They only get 4.5 scholarships to divide.

Participation is based on how many people are on the roster for the first competition. 

Partial rides are allowed for headcount sports, but they still take up 1 spot. It depends on the school's budget as not all sports are fully funded, even headcount sports.  For example, a women's tennis player could only get $25K in athletic aid but they count as a full.

All sports are counted for Title IX purposes. It comes down to how much aid is offered and allocated throughout the athletic department.  However, Title IX compliance is not just measured based upon equality or meeting the same proportion as the student body. There are three, disjunctive prongs a school can use to show Title IX compliance. One is meeting demand. If there are spots but not enough women are filling them then that's ok. You don't have to add players or hand out scholarships just to add them for numbers.

I’m guessing you work for a college athletic department....am I right?

:)
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #102 on: March 13, 2019, 04:10:27 PM »
Famous Actresses Paid Bundles Of Money To Bribe Their Kids' Way Into College. Here's Why.
https://www.dailywire.com/news/44571/famous-actresses-paid-bundles-money-bribe-their-ben-shapiro

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #103 on: March 13, 2019, 04:28:10 PM »
Famous Actresses Paid Bundles Of Money To Bribe Their Kids' Way Into College. Here's Why.
https://www.dailywire.com/news/44571/famous-actresses-paid-bundles-money-bribe-their-ben-shapiro

The economic and social aspect is real, and I could understand better if the parents were wealthy but relatively anonymous doctor or lawyer types. But if you're the child of a famous Hollywood celeb, you already travel in those rarefied economic and social circles. Not sure I see such a big benefit....

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #104 on: March 13, 2019, 08:14:40 PM »
Sure treating her like a criminal

Felicity Huffman awoke to FBI agents with guns drawn at her L.A. home in college cheating raid
https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-felicity-huffman-college-cheating-arrest-20190312-story.html

When Felicity Huffman opened the door to her Los Angeles home at 6 a.m. Tuesday, she was met by FBI agents with their guns drawn, according to a source familiar with the incident.

The agents informed her of the charges in a sweeping college admissions fraud case and handcuffed her, the source said. Huffman spent hours in federal custody at a detention center in downtown Los Angeles.

On Tuesday afternoon, Huffman made a brief court appearance. She answered “yes” to several questions from the federal magistrate, including whether she understood the charges against her. She was seated in a glassed-off area with several other defendants. Her husband, actor William H. Macy, sat in court as the magistrate ordered her free on $250,000 bail.

She is expected to appear in a Boston courtroom March 29 to address the charges.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #105 on: March 13, 2019, 08:28:30 PM »
Imagine if you were at the top of the waiting list for one of these schools.  Those people most certainly did take your spot.

That's what I'm asking, though. Just how rigid is the number of accepted students? Do schools actually target an incoming number of 5,000, for example? And if they have 4,996 students accept their admission offer, do they then only reach out to the top 4 on the wait list? Again, not my area of expertise, but it seems pretty unlikely that schools are that precise. A few more or fewer students here or there just doesn't seem like it would affect the schools too much.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #106 on: March 13, 2019, 08:45:24 PM »
That's what I'm asking, though. Just how rigid is the number of accepted students? Do schools actually target an incoming number of 5,000, for example? And if they have 4,996 students accept their admission offer, do they then only reach out to the top 4 on the wait list? Again, not my area of expertise, but it seems pretty unlikely that schools are that precise. A few more or fewer students here or there just doesn't seem like it would affect the schools too much.

For many schools that make it mandatory for 100% freshman to stay in university housing, then they have a specific number they will accept based on the number of freshman beds.  And they try hard to fill everyone because every empty bed is lost revenue.  So yes, it is truly a zero-sum game.

How about MU?  I assume they allow commuters from Milwaukee so they number can be a little more squishy.  Is this correct?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #107 on: March 13, 2019, 08:47:26 PM »
For many schools that make it mandatory for 100% freshman to stay in university housing, then they have a specific number they will accept based on the number of freshman beds.  And they try hard to fill everyone because every empty bed is lost revenue.  So yes, it is truly a zero-sum game.

How about MU?  I assume they allow commuters from Milwaukee so they number can be a little more squishy.  Is this correct?

Freshmen and Sophomores have to live on campus unless they are living with a parent or legal guardian.
Have some patience, FFS.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #108 on: March 13, 2019, 09:43:10 PM »
Sure treating her like a criminal

Felicity Huffman awoke to FBI agents with guns drawn at her L.A. home in college cheating raid
https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-felicity-huffman-college-cheating-arrest-20190312-story.html

When Felicity Huffman opened the door to her Los Angeles home at 6 a.m. Tuesday, she was met by FBI agents with their guns drawn, according to a source familiar with the incident.

The agents informed her of the charges in a sweeping college admissions fraud case and handcuffed her, the source said. Huffman spent hours in federal custody at a detention center in downtown Los Angeles.

On Tuesday afternoon, Huffman made a brief court appearance. She answered “yes” to several questions from the federal magistrate, including whether she understood the charges against her. She was seated in a glassed-off area with several other defendants. Her husband, actor William H. Macy, sat in court as the magistrate ordered her free on $250,000 bail.

She is expected to appear in a Boston courtroom March 29 to address the charges.

FBI sure does love to draw their guns of late against non violent accused.  Better safe than sorry apparently?
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #109 on: March 13, 2019, 10:16:25 PM »
FBI sure does love to draw their guns of late against non violent accused.  Better safe than sorry apparently?

Yep. I think they should have showed up at 4am They did her a favor.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #110 on: March 13, 2019, 11:46:29 PM »

You are correct about housing being the limiting factor at many schools. Still, it's a guesstimate how many students they need to accept in order to fill a certain number of beds, since the % who accept the offer fluctuates from year to year. And while they could always go to the waitlist, most schools prefer to do projections based on past history so they get commitments asap. Using MU as an example, MU accepted 11,574 and had 2023 students enroll.

So back to your question...if MU was engaged in this practice, they probably could have just accepted a 11,575th applicant and hoped one of the other accepted students went somewhere else.

harryp

• Starter
« Reply #111 on: March 14, 2019, 12:29:45 AM »
Are these the same people who oppose affirmative action?

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #112 on: March 14, 2019, 06:57:54 AM »
Lori Loughlin's daughter Olivia Jade was aboard USC official's yacht in Bahamas when mom was charged

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/lori-loughlins-daughter-was-in-usc-officials-yacht-when-mother-was-charged.amp

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #113 on: March 14, 2019, 07:13:00 AM »
Lori Loughlin's daughter Olivia Jade was aboard USC official's yacht in Bahamas when mom was charged

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/lori-loughlins-daughter-was-in-usc-officials-yacht-when-mother-was-charged.amp

Wow.  My kids routinely spent Spring Break in some church basement in New Orleans or New York as part of a Mardi Gras team doing disaster recovery mission work.  I guess my son later got his 'yacht experience' when he was mobilized to Key West and later San Juan aboard the ready reserve T/S Empire State as part of a FEMA deployment.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 07:19:41 AM by jsglow »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #114 on: March 14, 2019, 07:28:52 AM »
Wow.  My kids routinely spent Spring Break in some church basement in New Orleans or New York as part of a Mardi Gras team doing disaster recovery mission work.  I guess my son later got his 'yacht experience' when he was mobilized to Key West and later San Juan aboard the ready reserve T/S Empire State as part of a FEMA deployment.

And your kids probably took their own SATs or ACTs. Shows how smart they (and you) aren't!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #115 on: March 14, 2019, 07:38:48 AM »
And your kids probably took their own SATs or ACTs. Shows how smart they (and you) aren't!

For sure.  BTW, the Captain did let him drive that baby for awhile one night.  Not near any land though!   :o :o

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #116 on: March 14, 2019, 07:41:05 AM »

They didn't need to cheat.  8-)
Have some patience, FFS.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #117 on: March 14, 2019, 07:47:19 AM »
Here the part I do not understand ...

Olivia Jade has a legitimate business that might net her close to seven figures a year.  She employs people (at least a Rep) and has major global companies as sponsors.

Isn't this impressive enough to get into USC or any other elite school?  While other kids will talk about their experience running a Model UN club that raised $1,100, she can provide audited financial statements and details of five a six-figure sponsorship deals.  She can show she is an Instagram and YouTube influencer with millions of followers (my 13-year daughter follows her).  She can get letters of recommendations from the leader of global brands.

To me, this seems far more impressive that faking a crew team offer. 

I'll answer my own question, I guess they were so insecure about her already impressive achievements that they cheated so bad that they are now going to lose everything.  Mom, Dad, daughters are all professionally done.

Stupid on so many levels.

Olivia Jade, Lori Loughlin’s Daughter, Stands to Lose Brand Deals Over College-Admissions Scandal
https://variety.com/2019/digital/news/olivia-jade-lori-loughlin-college-scam-influencer-brand-deals-1203162624/

HP has already cut its ties with Olivia Jade. In a statement, the company said, “HP worked with Lori Loughlin and Olivia Jade in 2017 for a one-time product campaign. HP has removed the content from its properties.” A post promoting HP’s Sprocket photo printer is currently still live on Olivia Jade’s Instagram account.

Olivia Jade Giannulli had also cut brand deals with partners including Amazon, Dolce & Gabbana, Lulus, Marc Jacobs Beauty, Sephora, Smashbox Beauty Cosmetics, Smile Direct Club, Too Faced Cosmetics, Boohoo, and Unilever’s TRESemmé.

A rep for Olivia Jade declined to comment, as did Estée Lauder Companies, which owns Smashbox and Too Faced. None of the other brands or companies Variety reached out to responded to requests for comment as of press time.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 07:51:02 AM by Rick Majerus' Towel »

burger

• All American
« Reply #118 on: March 14, 2019, 08:04:50 AM »
There are even off shoots to this.....

Universities use the same "ploy" to get the very "top cream" students......

We know a student who is going to Duke early decision.....

The state school wants her bad to stay in state......But she wants Duke and is going to go there.....

The state school can only offer under "academics" a full academic scholy........

So the state school offered her a "full athletic" scholarship on the women's soccer team......As you guys probably know that adds.....Room and board.....expenses.....and stipend......Which equates to at least another $10K +......

Let's put it this way.....She is not "college soccer material"......In any division.....She is probably 8th best player on her varsity team......Very ordinary......

I do not know how often this occurs......But institutions are using this tool to grab students they really really want.....

This is certainly not how college athletic scholarships are supposed to be utilized......
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 08:08:18 AM by burger »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #119 on: March 14, 2019, 08:13:40 AM »

The state school wants her bad to stay in state......But she wants Duke and is going to go there.....

The state school can only offer under "academics" a full academic scholy........

So the state school offered her a "full athletic" scholarship on the women's soccer team......As you guys probably know that adds.....Room and board.....expenses.....and stipend......Which equates to at least another $10K +......

Let's put it this way.....She is not "college soccer material"......In any division.....She is probably 8th best player on her varsity team......Very ordinary......

I do not know how often this occurs......But institutions are using this tool to grab students they really really want.....

This is certainly not how college athletic scholarships are supposed to be utilized......

Is this the flagship state school or a directional/dash school? 

Also, aren't schools allowed to recruit whomever they want for their athletic teams?  Not quite the same thing.
Have some patience, FFS.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #120 on: March 14, 2019, 08:25:36 AM »

It does sound squirmy. But at least this girl knows what soccer is, unlike the rich "crew star."

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #121 on: March 14, 2019, 08:32:00 AM »
It does sound squirmy. But at least this girl knows what soccer is, unlike the rich "crew star."

And my guess is they actually expected her to play.
Have some patience, FFS.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #122 on: March 14, 2019, 10:43:55 AM »
They didn't need to cheat.  8-)

Talkin' select skools heer. Last eye looked #75 orr sew in USNWR rankin' wuzant part of da mix, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #123 on: March 14, 2019, 10:49:27 AM »

Standard protocol.  Imagine if they only drew weapons when storming houses in Compton or Reseda.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #124 on: March 14, 2019, 10:55:55 AM »
Here the part I do not understand ...

Olivia Jade has a legitimate business that might net her close to seven figures a year.  She employs people (at least a Rep) and has major global companies as sponsors.

Isn't this impressive enough to get into USC or any other elite school?  While other kids will talk about their experience running a Model UN club that raised $1,100, she can provide audited financial statements and details of five a six-figure sponsorship deals.  She can show she is an Instagram and YouTube influencer with millions of followers (my 13-year daughter follows her).  She can get letters of recommendations from the leader of global brands.

To me, this seems far more impressive that faking a crew team offer. 

I'll answer my own question, I guess they were so insecure about her already impressive achievements that they cheated so bad that they are now going to lose everything.  Mom, Dad, daughters are all professionally done.

Stupid on so many levels.

Doesn't this also highlight part of the problem. She has done nothing herself. Her contribution to her company/brand is taking pictures of herself hanging out with her famous and rich friends.

Her work is going out and partying and being seen. That is simply marketing her rich/famous lineage. Kind of like "royalty".

You are calling that an accomplishment, being born rich and famous is in your mind, a worthy accomplishment that should let her into an elite school. When she herself says she had no intention of going to class or doing school stuff, but would talk to Deans to "work it out".

It is disgusting.