Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Entrance Exam Cheating Scandal  (Read 22604 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Entrance Exam Cheating Scandal
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2019, 03:03:15 PM »
Next time eye see an able bodied purson existin' a vehicle parked in a handicap parkin' spot wit a valid permit, gotta assume der rich, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2019, 03:21:25 PM »
Can you use the money in a 529 to pay bribes to get your kid into college?

It will cost you extra to get the university to include it on your 1098-T.
Have some patience, FFS.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2019, 03:35:08 PM »
Systems are gamed all the time, by all walks of life, all levels of income.  Examples as far as the eye can see.  All it takes is a few people to know the right people and away we go.

The very wealthy have it the easiest in the gaming "game". Money talks baby.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2019, 03:45:22 PM »
Ultra rich buying their kids access into college.  Glad the feds are going after this.

Here's the stupid question: If your children cannot make it into a university without extremely large bribes, under the table payments or cheating with entrance exams, what makes you think they'll succeed once they get in?

Every college has their share of legacies. Anyone who says otherwise has been smoking Denver Delight way too long. But goodness, this is beyond even accepting an occasionally marginal legacy. Cheating on entrance exams.... Not Cool!

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2019, 03:52:25 PM »
Here's the stupid question: If your children cannot make it into a university without extremely large bribes, under the table payments or cheating with entrance exams, what makes you think they'll succeed once they get in?

Every college has their share of legacies. Anyone who says otherwise has been smoking Denver Delight way too long. But goodness, this is beyond even accepting an occasionally marginal legacy. Cheating on entrance exams.... Not Cool!

If you can buy your kid admission, you probably can buy your kid a diploma, as well.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2019, 04:05:57 PM »

Legacies and the like are protected when they're admitted. At many of the top schools all students are almost guaranteed a degree.  Over 80% of Harvard students graduate with a 3.5 or higher and they had a sit-in protest in Harvard Yard when former President Laurence Summers proposed ending grade inflation. Summers didn't last.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2019, 04:08:55 PM »
When Felicity told him what was going on this morning.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2019, 04:22:18 PM »
https://www.greensboro.com/news/crime/wake-forest-coach-charged-in-admissions-bribery-scheme/article_88ca415c-f943-591c-8ae8-5e023687fc68.html

Coached against this guy many times while he was running the USC men's program and the SCVC club.  Also knew him from his recruiting a couple of our players pretty aggressively.

Of all the college coaches I interacted with he is by far the least surprising person that could've popped up in this.  The guy was an absolute sleezeball.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2019, 04:23:54 PM »
When Felicity told him what was going on this morning.

More like:

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2019, 04:47:48 PM »

Excellent point.
and, in fact, Loughlin's daughter talked openly about avoiding class and attending parties.

But my 1st thought was "how dumb does your kid have to be to pay this kind of money to get your kid into USC or UCLA?". I suspect the dope didn't fall far from the tree.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2019, 04:52:21 PM »
R Kelly couldn’t swing it

That can happen when your moolah is buried overseas.  Unanticipated expenses can bite you in the rear, but that's the only way to run up 160k in child support without getting garnished.  Luckily, a Judge was around who finally said enough is enough.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

manny31

• Starter
« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2019, 04:55:08 PM »
So here's the thing, what do I do when I try to rub this the face of my GU friends? If my guess is correct they will wear this scandal as a badge of honor.
Damn Jesuits:(

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2019, 05:05:54 PM »
So here's the thing, what do I do when I try to rub this the face of my GU friends? If my guess is correct they will wear this scandal as a badge of honor.
Damn Jesuits:(

They are all happy that rich people will pay bribes to get their kids into school.  It means their school is desirable.

Part of the white privilege.
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2019, 05:25:04 PM »
Apparently, this isn't Lori's first offense.

I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2019, 05:41:26 PM »
What annoys me most is the tax deductibility of it.  It is one thing to take up a spot from someone more deserving... one could argue the school comes out better (and future students) having more money.

But the fact that tax payers subsidize 30% (or more) of it is the part that pisses me off.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2019, 05:45:19 PM »
What annoys me most is the tax deductibility of it.  It is one thing to take up a spot from someone more deserving... one could argue the school comes out better (and future students) having more money.

But the fact that tax payers subsidize 30% (or more) of it is the part that pisses me off.

That means they engaged in tax fraud so the parents are in big time trouble regardless of how much money they have.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2019, 05:45:50 PM »
@kellyannepolls
.@LoriLoughlin & @FelicityHuffman indicted for lying and buying spots in college.

They worried their daughters are as stupid as their mothers

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2019, 05:52:48 PM »
Excellent point.
and, in fact, Loughlin's daughter talked openly about avoiding class and attending parties.

But my 1st thought was "how dumb does your kid have to be to pay this kind of money to get your kid into USC or UCLA?". I suspect the dope didn't fall far from the tree.

Both are very difficult schools to get into.

USC has an admissions rate of 18%, UCLA of 12% for in-state kids so they saw some value in doing so. Plus, it looks like one of the kids was nothing but some internet celebrity and wanted to be in LA to further her career while partying in college.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #68 on: March 12, 2019, 06:20:38 PM »
Both are very difficult schools to get into.

USC has an admissions rate of 18%, UCLA of 12% for in-state kids so they saw some value in doing so. Plus, it looks like one of the kids was nothing but some internet celebrity and wanted to be in LA to further her career while partying in college.

Thanks, Billy for the stats. I was engaging in a bit of (reverse) hyperbole, but more than that, I was comparing USC and UCLA to other schools involved like Stanford or Yale.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #69 on: March 12, 2019, 06:50:09 PM »
Excellent point.

Depends what they went to school for. USC and UCLA have two of the top 3 or 4 Film Schools in the country.  Getting in is nearly impossible.  They have a few other programs also ranked very highly with only a few slots where it is a miracle to get in.  USC is about $70K a year now.  My daughter is trying for film school and we've set expectations as best we can without being dream crushers that it is going to difficult. 

If I had to guess, Laughlin and Mossimo net worth is probably $75M to $100M, so this isn't a huge drop for them to throw that kind of cash around.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #70 on: March 12, 2019, 06:53:51 PM »
That means they engaged in tax fraud so the parents are in big time trouble regardless of how much money they have.

It's worse than that.  The "charitable foundation" had millions of dollars of revenue that was shielded from tax.

The mission statement on their tax return is hilarious:

The Key Worldwide Foundation endeavors to provide education that would normally be unattainable to underprivileged students, not only attainable but realistic. With programs that are designed to assist young people in every day situations, and educational situations, we hope to open new avenues of educational access to students that would normally have no access to these programs. Our contributions to major athletic university programs, may help to provide placement to students that may not have access under normal channels.

I can't help but notice that one of the organizations they donated to was DePaul.

https://pdf.guidestar.org/PDF_Images/2016/461/603/2016-461603030-0eb6691f-9.pdf
Have some patience, FFS.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #71 on: March 12, 2019, 06:54:12 PM »
They are all happy that rich people will pay bribes to get their kids into school.  It means their school is desirable.

Part of the white privilege.

UCLA has more Asian students than any other group.  Asian + Hispanic students are 50% of student body.  Whites make up 27% at UCLA, the second largest group.

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #72 on: March 12, 2019, 07:44:17 PM »
And for those of you that surf or just like the Mossimo clothing line (skews a little younger but they have some cool duds for our age groups), the founder of Mossimo is married to Lori.

Things you might not have known.

maybe his chews aren't as ugly as these...
don't...don't don't don't don't

AZMarqfan

• Starter
« Reply #73 on: March 12, 2019, 07:49:01 PM »
just curious, but don't our federal authorities have better things to do than go after universities and celebrities?  Wouldn't this fit under the concept of victimless crime?  Is paying lots of money to get them into school really a crime? 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #74 on: March 12, 2019, 07:54:27 PM »
just curious, but don't our federal authorities have better things to do than go after universities and celebrities?  Wouldn't this fit under the concept of victimless crime?  Is paying lots of money to get them into school really a crime?

Wouldn't potential "victims" be students not admitted on the merits because they were passed up by fake applications, scores and resumes?   I wouldn't call that without victims.