[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Entrance Exam Cheating Scandal  (Read 22623 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: Entrance Exam Cheating Scandal
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2019, 11:17:45 AM »
He should have contacted the school in advance. They all have a set dollar amount that can get your kid into the "select admission category". They usually have some set minimum performance to allow them to stay in school beyond the first year.

Some schools this is $1M+, others in the $5-10M category. Surprised your old boss was not aware of this.

I'm positive he did.  He wasn't willing to go that high, so was hoping making significant donations would be enough without having to make absurd donations.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2019, 11:18:09 AM »
And for those of you that surf or just like the Mossimo clothing line (skews a little younger but they have some cool duds for our age groups), the founder of Mossimo is married to Lori.

Things you might not have known.

If you want your kid to go to an elite school, you shouldn't be selling your line at Target.  Just saying.
Have some patience, FFS.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2019, 12:29:07 PM »
If you want your kid to go to an elite school, you shouldn't be selling your line at Target.  Just saying.

True dat.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2019, 12:35:44 PM »

Seriously.
Only the proletariat shops at Target.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2019, 12:38:00 PM »
Sounds like it is minor sports.  Crew, tennis, etc.  Not enough money to make it worth it for the major sports.

Jerome Allen at Penn admitted he took money to have a kid categorized as a basketball recruit for special admissions consideration, but so far that's it.

I doubt any of these kids ever got scholarships, just special admissions treatment.  Harvard will admit a kid under 1000 on the SAT if they're an elite prospect.

It was interesting to read how many admissions slots schools hold for athletics.  128 at Wake.  All those kids have to do is qualify and be sponsored.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2019, 12:40:54 PM »

Yeah, he sold out.  For years they were smaller, boutique and available mostly at surf shops and the like growing up.  He sold to another company and they went for mass distribution.  The stuff at Target is their mass produced stuff, but the better stuff is direct or at specific stores.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2019, 12:41:45 PM »
I'm positive he did.  He wasn't willing to go that high, so was hoping making significant donations would be enough without having to make absurd donations.

So basically, he wanted ultra-rich treatment without paying the ultra-rich fee.

#fauxriche

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2019, 12:42:56 PM »
My daughter this morning...”oh my God, Olivia Jade”

Resonating with the YouTuber generation...She said Jade getting destroyed on social media for taking spots of kids that earned it.  People asking about her crew skills, etc

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2019, 12:45:13 PM »

So basically, he wanted ultra-rich treatment without paying the ultra-rich fee.

#fauxriche

That’s my guess....or he didn’t want to whore out and didn’t see the value.  He can probably argue he is supporting his alma mater with the donations and convince himself of that and hope it helps get his kid in, but wasn’t willing to pay the going rate to guarantee it.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2019, 12:45:32 PM »
I guess MU will not be mentioned since MU is not considered an elite school. I know when I attended back in the 60s most of the students were from blue collar families including mine which could not afford a 500 or even a 50K bribe. I am sure MU would not accept a bribe if one were offered. I know my degree was just as valuable as one from the "elite" schools and I earned it.

sad to say that every school, "elite" or not will accept a high six to seven figure "donation" to get a kid in.  They look at long term benefits too - will admitting a kid with a 2.3 (regardless of athletic ability) but whose family is worth millions benefits the school with future donations. If so, they'll get in. Hell, they may not even need to bribe them up front, especially a private school that needs private donations to sustain and thrive.

It's a different time than the 60's, MU is hardly a "blue collar" school. I thought I came from a well off and financially comfortable background, then I came to MU and saw kids driving cars my dad hoped to be able to buy someday.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2019, 12:45:51 PM »
My daughter this morning...”oh my God, Olivia Jade”

Resonating with the YouTuber generation...She said Jade getting destroyed on social media for taking spots of kids that earned it.  People asking about her crew skills, etc

Good.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2019, 12:56:08 PM »
I don’t know about you guys, but I’m going to sleep a lot better tonight knowing that Felicity Huffman is locked up and in federal custody.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2019, 01:06:10 PM »
I don’t know about you guys, but I’m going to sleep a lot better tonight knowing that Felicity Huffman is locked up and in federal custody.

Gosh, I sure hope she can afford bail.

Edit: Nevermind ... she was given a signature bond. Hope you've got some Ambien around the house.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 01:08:32 PM by Pakuni »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2019, 01:07:04 PM »
Truly a desperate housewife trying to get her kid into college. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2019, 01:10:10 PM »

Edit: Nevermind ... she was given a signature bond. Hope you've got some Ambien around the house.

If they can finally nail that crook Betty White in this scandal, then I'll very much rest easy.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2019, 01:10:19 PM »

R Kelly couldn’t swing it

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2019, 01:13:28 PM »
If they can finally nail that crook Betty White in this scandal, then I'll very much rest easy.

Betty's kids might be on Social Security by now....

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2019, 01:18:18 PM »

You're obviously trying to make a point here. Just not sure what it is.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2019, 01:20:26 PM »
Not making a point, making a joke. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2019, 01:28:22 PM »
You're obviously trying to make a point here. Just not sure what it is.

No, totally bad jokes is all, no agenda.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2019, 01:30:19 PM »
No, totally bad jokes is all, no agenda.

My bad, then.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2019, 01:39:09 PM »
He is an alum of my kids high school.  Loughlin and I worked on the NOW launch in NYC in late 2016. 

CT,  $500k doesn’t do it anymore.  Old boss of mine wanted his kid to go to Northwestern where he went, he was donating absurd amounts to help get an edge...didn’t happen for his kid.

Haven't read where NU is implicated. I'd be surprised if it was part of this or any other mess of this type.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2019, 01:48:07 PM »
Rich people gaming the system?

Has that ever happened before?

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2019, 02:20:47 PM »
Can you use the money in a 529 to pay bribes to get your kid into college?
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2019, 02:43:16 PM »
Rich people gaming the system?

Has that ever happened before?

Systems are gamed all the time, by all walks of life, all levels of income.  Examples as far as the eye can see.  All it takes is a few people to know the right people and away we go.