[Today at 02:02:23 PM]

MU Gear by MUfan12
[Today at 01:31:51 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by onepost
[Today at 12:53:48 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU82
[Today at 12:50:47 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Entrance Exam Cheating Scandal  (Read 22507 times)

Not A Serious Person

• All American
Re: Entrance Exam Cheating Scandal
« Reply #150 on: March 14, 2019, 03:55:54 PM »
Actually that is not completely accurate. You would be surprised how many influencers have no celebrity family background.

Especially with teenage boys that follow gaming influencers (fortnite).  These influencers are not from famous families.

Now back to my point ... social media allows interest and taste to fracture.  So kids can follow anyone on social media that appeals to their narrow interest. And once these influencers get a significant following, they can get paid for it, and paid well.

The problem is the Luddites that grew up in the 1970s watching Gilligan after school go quasi-sexist that a 19-year-old girl talking about fashion on YouTube must be a fraud.  If an old fat old white guy like Forget cannot relate to it, then it is not a legitimate business (as he wrote above). 

It is the legit business in 2019.  And her success should have been enough to get into USC.  The problem was she wanted a guarantee, not a good chance.  So they went over the top in cheating to get that guarantee.  They got caught.  Now they are going to pay a very big price.
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #151 on: March 14, 2019, 04:09:20 PM »
You are correct - "Social Media Influencer" is a job many young people try to get (and really young - there's a channel where a guy just shows his toddler playing with new toys, makes $1 million a year) and while most of them fail, there are many that catch fire in some way and boom! You're a millionaire!

However, it is very true that the easiest way to make a lot of money on social media is to have exposure some other way, like reality TV or famous families.  I took a lot of issue with Time or Forbes or someone calling Kylie Jenner the world's youngest self-made billionaire, because of course she wasn't self-made, she had a leg up on everyone by having people watch her grow up on that KK show chick was talking about.  So yes, while its impressive that she's built a beauty empire at 19 or 20, she had advantages that some unknown 19 year old just out of high school did not.

Now as for that yacht story, I can't attest fully to what was going on, but we sent my daughter to a private high school and one of her best friends was the granddaughter of a media mogul, and she did indeed spend spring break sailing around the Bahamas in their yacht.  So it could be completely legitimate.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #152 on: March 14, 2019, 04:55:23 PM »
I'd be shocked if that isn't exactly what he's working for. If he has decent lawyers, he already has a plea deal with the prosecutors offering cooperation in exchange for a reduced sentence recommendation. In the end, the sentence is up to the judge, but recommendations from prosecutors (usually) carry a lot of weight.

I am very curious what will happen with all the others.  I think his cooperation is pretty much done, so he's probably already cut his deal.  If you look at the FBI's affidavit in support of the complaint you will see that he was cooperating with the FBI and letting them record calls with his customers that were obviously scripted and intended to get the customers to incriminate themselves. Many of calls were under the guise of telling them that his bogus foundation was being audited and that the auditors had asked why the people donated so such money.  He would mention what he had done for them and get them to acknowledge it, and then he would get them to agree on a cover story.  Take a look at Paragraph 81.  He repeated the same thing again and again with other customers.

So, if that's one of the key methods that the FBI was using to obtain evidence through his cooperation, that ship has totally sailed.  Nobody is ever going to talk to this guy again.  At this point, I'd imagine that the FBI has obtained all the information they're going to get from his cooperation.  I have no idea why they haven't gone after the others yet.  I'm sure they're all waiting nervously for the other shoe to drop.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #153 on: March 14, 2019, 08:44:14 PM »
Lori Loughlin’s daughters drop out of USC after admissions scandal

https://www.google.com/amp/s/pagesix.com/2019/03/14/lori-loughlins-daughters-drop-out-of-usc-after-admissions-scandal/amp/

Lori Loughlin‘s daughters are dropping out of the University of Southern California — because they’re afraid of being bullied over the massive college admissions scam that has left them feeling like “a mess,” a report said Thursday.

Olivia Jade, 19, and her sister, 20-year-old Isabella Rose, have decided to withdraw from USC days after their parents, “Fuller House” star Loughlin and her husband, fashion designer Mossimo Giannulli, were charged for allegedly paying the girls’ way into the school, TMZ reported.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #154 on: March 14, 2019, 09:02:49 PM »
Forget, tSmith and Wchick et. al ... you're wrong and you showing yourself to be an out of touch old white people.

She did something.  She created a following that she is able to generate into seven figures a year. (Again it is now gone with the scandal.)  This is very hard.  Tens of thousands try, few pull it off.  She did.

Her niche is makeup and fashion on a budget.  This is very popular among teenage girls.  Old white guys don't understand this because they are out of touch. (again, I have a 13-year daughter that follows Jade and others like her, and we, read Mom, have spent money to buy clothes based in Jade's recommendations.)

Do you have the same amount of disgust for Lebron and his millions of social media followers?  For his TV produced shows.  Young teenage girls find LeBron as useless as you find Olivia Jade useless. 

Or how about young teenage boys that follow fortnite influencers on YouTube?

Welcome to 2019 old man.  Leave your values in the past for the anthropology classes to study.  The world is radically different from the days you ran home from school to watch re-runs of Gilligan's Island on WGN.

Most of my friends are Asian or other minorities, trust me old white guys not understanding youtuber makeup girls is wrong....it is old guys regardless of race.  None of us get it, but we don’t get women in general and our daughters in this digital age are impossible to figure out.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #155 on: March 14, 2019, 09:14:45 PM »

Olivia Jade, 19, and her sister, 20-year-old Isabella Rose, have decided to withdraw from USC

Pretentious, much?

Maybe in the future all Scoopers should be required to have a double name.

I could be Jockey Kensington.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 09:17:17 PM by Jockey »

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #156 on: March 14, 2019, 09:35:44 PM »
Pretentious, much?

Well, I've got dibs on "Tonto-Epstein".  (punch line to an old joke...)
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #157 on: March 14, 2019, 10:03:25 PM »
Carlos Spiceyweiner
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #158 on: March 14, 2019, 10:10:28 PM »
Most of my friends are Asian or other minorities, trust me old white guys not understanding youtuber makeup girls is wrong....it is old guys regardless of race.  None of us get it, but we don’t get women in general and our daughters in this digital age are impossible to figure out.

100% agree.  That's why I employ a translator ... my wife.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #159 on: March 14, 2019, 10:25:25 PM »
100% agree.  That's why I employ a translator ... my wife.

Mine tries, but she is youngest of nine, so she is old school for sure....this stuff escapes her as well.

She just tries to make sure to get “the tea” on what is happening.  ;)

tower912

• All American
« Reply #160 on: March 15, 2019, 06:12:28 AM »
Like fathers have understood teenage daughters at any point in history.     ::)      The nature of the father-daughter paradigm has not significantly changed, just the technology through which it is played out.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #163 on: March 15, 2019, 08:05:17 AM »
Pretentious, much?

To be fair Olivia and Isabella are two of the most popular girl's names right now, so they might have needed some differentiation.

Much in the same way my generation had its Mary Anns, Mary Janes, Mary Beths, etc.
Have some patience, FFS.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #164 on: March 15, 2019, 08:46:01 AM »
Ron Jeremy heer, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #165 on: March 15, 2019, 11:08:23 AM »
You are correct - "Social Media Influencer" is a job many young people try to get (and really young - there's a channel where a guy just shows his toddler playing with new toys, makes $1 million a year) and while most of them fail, there are many that catch fire in some way and boom! You're a millionaire!

However, it is very true that the easiest way to make a lot of money on social media is to have exposure some other way, like reality TV or famous families.  I took a lot of issue with Time or Forbes or someone calling Kylie Jenner the world's youngest self-made billionaire, because of course she wasn't self-made, she had a leg up on everyone by having people watch her grow up on that KK show chick was talking about.  So yes, while its impressive that she's built a beauty empire at 19 or 20, she had advantages that some unknown 19 year old just out of high school did not.

Individuals like Olivia benefit tremendously from their fame. Based on her social media footprint, she would normally make around $10k per product pitched in a video. She makes $30-50k, any social media marketer will tell you the same thing for the large markup, she comes from a wealthy famous family. Guaranteed automatic markup.

Why? They have lots of famous friends that will share their video's etc. People want to be like rich famous people.

There are agents who's sole job is to find famous (particularly young women), and create profiles for them, recruit all kind of followers, and then essentially generate the content for them. The individual just has to want to be internet famous. Some, from famous families, don't want that. They don't want, others like Olivia want to be famous but not do any work. So they love the idea.

The idea that she worked so hard to create this business/image is laughable.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #166 on: March 15, 2019, 05:15:28 PM »
I’m guessing you work for a college athletic department....am I right?

:)

I may have at one point. :)
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #167 on: March 15, 2019, 05:15:59 PM »

You ever have to flush anything that wasn’t yours?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #168 on: March 15, 2019, 05:18:05 PM »

Did you ever work with Chicos?  Other than brushing your teeth in the mirror?

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #169 on: March 15, 2019, 05:23:19 PM »

I only know Chicos as a contributor on this board, so unless he kept his posting life on the DL I did not. I believe I'm quite a bit younger than him too if he has older kids.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #170 on: March 15, 2019, 06:15:17 PM »
 the feds coming down hard on the rich and famous.  now if this doesn't show that regardless of who you are or how much money you have, there is no 2 tier justice system...hmmm, wait...yeah, everyone puts on their pants...one legged atta time here gosh darn it
don't...don't don't don't don't

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #171 on: March 15, 2019, 07:05:34 PM »
I only know Chicos as a contributor on this board, so unless he kept his posting life on the DL I did not. I believe I'm quite a bit younger than him too if he has older kids.

Any chance you're Too Tan Tommy, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #172 on: March 15, 2019, 07:31:46 PM »
the feds coming down hard on the rich and famous.  now if this doesn't show that regardless of who you are or how much money you have, there is no 2 tier justice system...hmmm, wait...yeah, everyone puts on their pants...one legged atta time here gosh darn it

Affluenza

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #173 on: March 15, 2019, 07:57:46 PM »

Good Lord you couldn't be more wrong....but I love the fact that you are so damn wrong on this.  Makes me smile.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #174 on: March 15, 2019, 07:58:17 PM »

Based on your commentary, I figured.