[Today at 02:20:46 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MUbiz
[Today at 12:09:25 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[Today at 11:02:10 AM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Zion  (Read 17699 times)

muwarrior69

• All American
Zion
« on: February 21, 2019, 07:00:40 AM »
I think he'll be OK, but what the heck happened to his shoe? Nike seems concerned. Do our guys wear Nikes?

If you think this belongs in the Superbar; move it.

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-basketball/news/nike-releases-statement-duke-zion-williamson-rips-through-shoe-injures-knee/1sgpwpx9owh831mefctr9or770
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 07:02:26 AM by muwarrior69 »

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
Re: Zion
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 07:04:32 AM »
Didn't that happen at Marquette, pre Nike?
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 07:07:38 AM »
Didn't that happen at Marquette, pre Nike?

Mac tweeted last night that he and Logterman texted about it after seeing the blow-out:

"That happened EVERY DAY with LA Gear #noexaggeration"

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 07:08:24 AM »
I think he'll be OK, but what the heck happened to his shoe? Nike seems concerned. Do our guys wear Nikes?

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-basketball/news/nike-releases-statement-duke-zion-williamson-rips-through-shoe-injures-knee/1sgpwpx9owh831mefctr9or770

Jordan is a Nike subsidiary so yes they do wear Nikes
Maigh Eo for Sam

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 07:12:01 AM »
Mac tweeted last night that he and Logterman texted about it after seeing the blow-out:

I remember that.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 07:14:29 AM »

And, it happened most famously in a nationally televised game (we didn't get too many of those in the early 90's).  I'm pretty sure it was Logterman, and I think it was against Kansas.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2019, 07:17:43 AM »

Yeah, it's not a good look to have your product completely fail on national television in one of the most highly anticipated sporting events of the year.  Even less so when the product failure results in an injury to the most famous college basketball player in the country.  But, they're Nike, so I'm sure they'll come out of this OK.  If it was a lesser brand, it would probably be more problematic.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 10:30:00 AM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2019, 07:22:54 AM »
What if Zion comes back and says I don't trust Nike shoes and refuses to play in them?  Duke and Coach K get a ton of money from Nike for their players to play in Nikes.  Zion gets nothing.  Do Duke and K have to return a boatload of money to Nike?

If not already, this could be an unspeakable disaster for Nike.
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2019, 07:28:21 AM »
I am sure all the team managers are busy checking out their team's shoes.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2019, 07:29:52 AM »
I am sure all the team managers are busy checking out their team's shoes.

And how do they do that?  If it is so easy to figure out that a shoe is defective, why didn't Zion figure it out when he was putting it on?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2019, 07:35:21 AM »
Nike will be fine.    They probably will have their R&D people go over the shoe with an electron microscope to figure out what went wrong.      They will announce their findings and that they are taking every possible step (hah!) to see whatever the flaw was doesn't happen again.     At some point, they will probably say something along the lines of they strive to make sure that every item they make is held to a very high quality standard, but sometimes, even through their rigorous quality control program, a flaw can happen. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2019, 07:51:32 AM »
Nike will be fine.    They probably will have their R&D people go over the shoe with an electron microscope to figure out what went wrong.      They will announce their findings and that they are taking every possible step (hah!) to see whatever the flaw was doesn't happen again.     At some point, they will probably say something along the lines of they strive to make sure that every item they make is held to a very high quality standard, but sometimes, even through their rigorous quality control program, a flaw can happen.

What is the rigorous quality control that one uses in a Mongolian sweatshop that pays its workers $1/day?

Nike's stock is being quoted down 1.5% in overnight trading from yesterday's NYSE close.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2019, 07:59:37 AM »
What if Zion comes back and says I don't trust Nike shoes and refuses to play in them?  Duke and Coach K get a ton of money from Nike for their players to play in Nikes.  Zion gets nothing.

Yes, this is emblamatic of a situation discussed in another thread.

The school and the coach get rich on the back of the athlete-student. All the athlete-student gets out of the relationship, at least in this case, is a busted knee.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2019, 08:09:02 AM »
Yep.   And it brings back the whole argument as to whether Zion should play another game or protect his #1 draft status. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2019, 08:19:48 AM »

My favorite part of this article is that they call Coach K "Coach Mike Mike Krzyzewski"
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2019, 08:21:06 AM »
Also, Nike could try saying something like '(shoe X) is designed for mere mortals.   Zion is so amazing with his size and speed that he was too much for this shoe.   Nike looks forward to working with him to design the 'Zion', a shoe that can stand up to 6'7, 280 lbs of blinding quickness.'

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2019, 08:21:46 AM »
Yep.   And it brings back the whole argument as to whether Zion should play another game or protect his #1 draft status.

It's an interesting debate. I wouldn't criticize Zion if he chose not to, but I hope he gets healthy soon and decides to finish the season.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2019, 08:22:51 AM »
Also, Nike could try saying something like '(shoe X) is designed for mere mortals.   Zion is so amazing with his size and speed that he was too much for this shoe.   Nike looks forward to working with him to design the 'Zion', a shoe that can stand up to 6'7, 280 lbs of blinding quickness.'

This was my first thought as well.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2019, 08:26:31 AM »
What if Zion comes back and says I don't trust Nike shoes and refuses to play in them?  Duke and Coach K get a ton of money from Nike for their players to play in Nikes.  Zion gets nothing.  Do Duke and K have to return a boatload of money to Nike?

If not already, this could be an unspeakable disaster for Nike.

Zion got plenty of money from Nike to be at Duke and in Nikes/Nike gear.

Yes, this is emblamatic of a situation discussed in another thread.

The school and the coach get rich on the back of the athlete-student. All the athlete-student gets out of the relationship, at least in this case, is a busted knee.

I am quite confident Zion got more than just a busted knee from Nike.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 08:29:14 AM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2019, 08:32:00 AM »
Jordan is a Nike subsidiary so yes they do wear Nikes

Dook doesnt wear Jordans, UNC does.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2019, 08:35:14 AM »
Zion got plenty of money from Nike to be at Duke and in Nikes/Nike gear.

It is insulting to Zion's intelligence and borderline racist to suggest Duke and K get tens of millions of dollars and Zion gets satisfied with a handful of tee-shirts, shoes and sweats.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2019, 08:38:08 AM »
It is insulting to Zion's intelligence and borderline racist to suggest Duke and K get tens of millions of dollars and Zion gets satisfied with a handful of tee-shirts, shoes and sweats.

Jeebus, smuggs.  Wade's is not so subtly implying that Nike paid Zion to play at Duke.  Not just Zion getting some warmups.

But racist!!!!

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2019, 08:38:29 AM »

He was wearing the Nike PG 2.5.  This is Paul George's branded shoe.

So the shoe was built to handed the stresses of George (6'10 230) but not Zion.  So, Nike will make a clever campaign that insults George as being inferior to Zion?

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2019, 08:39:44 AM »
Isn't there a video of JFB busting his shoe the same way while running suicides at boot camp, and Buzz's only reaction was that he didn't finish in time, and had to re-run it?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2019, 08:43:51 AM »

Racist?  Lol.  I'm not sure I'll even address this since you're clearly in it for the shock value.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

feedback