[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MU82
[Today at 01:58:18 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[Today at 01:49:43 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 01:20:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Zion  (Read 17438 times)

Not A Serious Person

• All American
Re: Zion
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2019, 08:43:58 AM »
Jeebus, smuggs.  Wade's is not so subtly implying that Nike paid Zion to play at Duke.  Not just Zion getting some warmups.

But racist!!!!

Did Nike pay Zion $5 or $10 million?  No. 

Wades seems to be suggesting the school and the coach gets tens of millions and the  player gets, what, $100 grand? $250 grand?  And Wades is implying this is good enough for the player to not complain.

Edit: race removed, and it doesn't make you sound crazy!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 09:06:36 AM by rocky_warrior »
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2019, 08:45:13 AM »

Wades seems to be suggesting the white school and the white coach gets tens of millions and the black player gets, what, $100 grand? $250 grand?  And Wades is implying this is good enough for the black player to not complain.

Wades is the very definition of racism ... down to the point that the rich fat white guy (wades) is incapable of seeing his own racism by insulting Zion that paying him 1/100 or 1/200 of what Duke makes off him should make Zion sit down and shut up because he got his.

Lol.  Somebody's been hurting for some attention in his life.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2019, 08:46:39 AM »
Lol.  Somebody's been hurting for some attention in his life.

Privileged white guy that does not understand his own racism.
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2019, 08:46:52 AM »

Wades seems to be suggesting the white school and the white coach gets tens of millions and the black player gets, what, $100 grand? $250 grand?  And Wades is implying this is good enough for the black player to not complain.

Wades is the very definition of racism ... down to the point that the rich fat white guy (wades) is incapable of seeing his own racism by insulting Zion that paying him 1/100 or 1/200 of what Duke makes off him should make Zion sit down and shut up because he got his.

In before the lock and/or Smuggles getting another long Scoopcation.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2019, 08:47:11 AM »
Yes, this is emblamatic of a situation discussed in another thread.

The school and the coach get rich on the back of the athlete-student. All the athlete-student gets out of the relationship, at least in this case, is a busted knee.

Here we go.....

First off, it isn’t a requirement that the players wear Nike.  It for sure is encouraged, but for various reasons including orthopedic, players have worn other brands.   All they get out of the relationship is a busted knee?  Simply wow.

Want to bet the Nike deal Zion gets after Duke just WENT up a ton of money because of this?  I guarantee it.  Zion just got even more leverage....because of what happened in a college game in which he was “exploited”.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2019, 08:48:43 AM »
Racist?  Lol.  I'm not sure I'll even address this since you're clearly in it for the shock value.

He tried that BS the other day, too.  Now I think he is just being sarcastic on this one.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2019, 08:50:01 AM »
Nike will be fine.    They probably will have their R&D people go over the shoe with an electron microscope to figure out what went wrong.      They will announce their findings and that they are taking every possible step (hah!) to see whatever the flaw was doesn't happen again.     At some point, they will probably say something along the lines of they strive to make sure that every item they make is held to a very high quality standard, but sometimes, even through their rigorous quality control program, a flaw can happen.
Yup. Stringent Quality Assurance measures are followed religiously in the sweatshops of Indonesia, etc.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2019, 08:50:35 AM »
Dook doesnt wear Jordans, UNC does.

I know, I was replying to the "do our guys where Nikes" question
Maigh Eo for Sam

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2019, 08:55:34 AM »
The FBI and their wiretap of coaches and shoe reps discussing paying Zion and setting up his family with a nice living situation are so racist to suggest that he got anything other than a busted knee from Duke...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2019, 08:56:54 AM »
Here we go.....

First off, it isn’t a requirement that the players wear Nike.  It for sure is encouraged, but for various reasons including orthopedic, players have worn other brands.   All they get out of the relationship is a busted knee?  Simply wow.

Want to bet the Nike deal Zion gets after Duke just WENT up a ton of money because of this?  I guarantee it.  Zion just got even more leverage....because of what happened in a college game in which he was “exploited”.

Ignore.

LoudMouth

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2019, 08:59:07 AM »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2019, 09:01:06 AM »
Yep.   And it brings back the whole argument as to whether Zion should play another game or protect his #1 draft status.

I hope he does, and that will be a giant bat signal to schools not even to bother taking these guys as recruits in the future.  If their goal is to win titles and the players won’t play, then you are better off going after guys that will play.  Let the one and dones play something other than college ball.

#ZionPleaseSitOut-JustDoIt

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2019, 09:03:47 AM »
Ignore.

You know I am right, Nike is essentially going to have to do everything to sign him, though it was widely understood he was going to sign with them anyway.  Now with the bad publicity, the dollars coming his way just went up even more.

He has massive leverage.  I know it hurts, but deep down you know I am right in this.  LOL

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2019, 09:11:19 AM »
You know I am right, Nike is essentially going to have to do everything to sign him, though it was widely understood he was going to sign with them anyway.  Now with the bad publicity, the dollars coming his way just went up even more.

He has massive leverage.  I know it hurts, but deep down you know I am right in this.  LOL

I agree that he does have leverage. However, it’s a weird selling point to say, “We won’t pay you anything, but you can injure your knee for a bigger shoe contract.” I don’t think the NCAA would be wise to use that reasoning.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2019, 09:15:45 AM »
I agree that he does have leverage. However, it’s a weird selling point to say, “We won’t pay you anything, but you can injure your knee for a bigger shoe contract.” I don’t think the NCAA would be wise to use that reasoning.

He was getting a massive shoe contract anyway.  He’s just getting an even more massive one now.  He’s been slated for a shoe deal the second he gives up his eligibility. 

fjm

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2019, 09:21:27 AM »
If I’m adidas, puma or UA, I’m on the phone with zions people last night and every day until he signs that contract.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2019, 09:26:24 AM »
If I’m adidas, puma or UA, I’m on the phone with zions people last night and every day until he signs that contract.

Yup, which only drives up the dollars for the “exploited” athlete because Nike will do anything to amends.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2019, 09:34:01 AM »
Yup, which only drives up the dollars for the “exploited” athlete because Nike will do anything to amends.

Dude. Haha. Not EVERY thread needs to be turned into an “exploited” thing or a “racist” thing. Sometimes conversations are OK without trying to turn them into arguments.

I appreciate your content but you and sandknit and rick’s towel gotta learn to have conversations instead of arguments.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2019, 09:36:49 AM »

Don't feed the troll.

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2019, 09:37:07 AM »
When I saw Zion go down, I immediately thought that Markus ain’t coming back next year.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2019, 09:42:09 AM »
It is insulting to Zion's intelligence and borderline racist to suggest Duke and K get tens of millions of dollars and Zion gets satisfied with a handful of tee-shirts, shoes and sweats.

Hesie, you are not very good at playing the race card.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2019, 09:42:28 AM »
When I saw Zion go down, I immediately thought that Markus ain’t coming back next year.

Why?

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2019, 09:43:22 AM »
Why?

Why risk injury. Even if you are a 2nd rounder, go and fight for a roster spot.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2019, 09:44:41 AM »
Kant talk 'bout everydey chit here no moore. Bagels and lox cummin' write up, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2019, 09:45:40 AM »
Why risk injury. Even if you are a 2nd rounder, go and fight for a roster spot.

Or you could say maybe he tries to be a second rounder and fight for a roster spot, doesn't get it and never gets his shot at the NBA, so he goes overseas and makes 6 digits for 10 years, and then needs to go back to school to complete his education and get a real job.

Markus would not be the player to look at that and think "I need to leave now."  It's the sure fire top NBA players who might need do that.  It was a freak play, not a regular occurrence.

feedback