collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Death  (Read 10066 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Death
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2019, 05:53:31 PM »
No, you're never too old to rock 'n' roll
If you're too young to die.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2019, 06:27:50 PM »
Love this.   It would only be better if it was sponsored by Arby's.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2019, 08:00:36 PM »
My wife called me today to ask about a hotel room she was reserving for us this weekend.  For the first time in my life, I told her, "check to see if I qualify for a senior discount."  I died a little.

The standing order I have to my "arrangers" is check on the senior discount. Yeup, I qualify too!

That is so damn scary except that I'm a young early 60s and if my relatives are indication, sometime between 85 and 95 will be my time.

In the meantime, E-N-J-O-Y  T-H-E  R-I-D-E!!!!!!!!!!! Getting there is half the fun and, when the time comes, I'm looking forward to meeting the Almighty One. He'll have as much 'splain to do as I will!

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2019, 11:48:19 PM »
Canadians don’t die.....something about their healthcare system...

They just spend their lives waiting for care.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2019, 02:12:27 AM »
21 grams makes a huge difference.

Please dont think this morbid but in the last 4 years I have lost 6 very close to me and I have been at the deathbed moment of 4 (mom, dad, brother, etc) . At my age its no big deal...just a simple fact of life. I have to admit to finding the moment quite intriguing.

A very religious family I assumed my kin would be so at the last moments. Instead each talked about a peace that had come over them, that they felt a total calmness and each turned down any religious prayer, visitation etc. I reach no judgment, and was merely intrigued they did so.

Most intriguing is how we are here one moment and gone the next. The minute of death something happens. The 21 grams of our life force seems suddenly gone and what is so very striking is how the corpse  is just lifeless flesh. That was no longer my mom, brother etc....I stared at the body and it did not engender any "connection" Actually, weirdly they suddenly did not even resemble themselves in life....its like our memorized vision of loved ones is almost disconnected from the physical.

A point I have learned is that the dying time is not the time to settle up or resolve the open issues...hopefully you have had the good sense to do that much earlier. Instead it is the time to give yourself over to the experience of the dying...spoil them...agree with them....laugh even when forced....say yes to every request. If they ask for someone to be there or not be there respect those wishes. The eureka quote or final wisdom is unlikely and more likely is the odd memory of an insignificant moment or strange observation...as the body shuts down the brain does some odd things. Try to avoid business, property, estate issues ...these should already be done anyway.....and the dying feel little love from an heir concerned or asking over assets. Family unity should overrule all and it gives comfort to the dying to see everyone being nice to each other.

Sorry to actually discuss death... but every moment teaches me. 

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2019, 02:31:14 PM »
A point I have learned is that the dying time is not the time to settle up or resolve the open issues...hopefully you have had the good sense to do that much earlier. Instead it is the time to give yourself over to the experience of the dying...spoil them...agree with them....laugh even when forced....say yes to every request. If they ask for someone to be there or not be there respect those wishes. The eureka quote or final wisdom is unlikely and more likely is the odd memory of an insignificant moment or strange observation...as the body shuts down the brain does some odd things. Try to avoid business, property, estate issues ...these should already be done anyway.....and the dying feel little love from an heir concerned or asking over assets. Family unity should overrule all and it gives comfort to the dying to see everyone being nice to each other.

Sorry to actually discuss death... but every moment teaches me. 

If I had my choice of one thing, this is what I wish I could go back and beat* into to the stubborn teenager that once lived in my shoes. 

Death is what makes your own life worth living... don't let someone else's death ruin it for you.

* Not advocating violence here.  After all, the beating of one's self is the antithesis of violence, provided done away from the public eye.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2019, 04:45:59 PM »
This can be sobering:

http://deathclock.com/

Cripes, this thing has me living to age 99!
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2019, 10:43:10 PM »
Well I'm not scared of dying, and I don't really care. If it's peace you find in dying well then, let the time be near.

If it's peace you find in dying, well then dying time is near. Just bundle up my coffin 'cause it's cold way down there. I hear that it's cold way down there. Yeah, crazy cold way down there.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2019, 06:46:52 AM »
Me and the Good Lord have a deal.

Don't think about calling until there is at least one more banner hanging next to that "77" banner at the Computing Castle (FiServ Forum). I HAVE to experience that again, especially after the collapse in 1978!

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2019, 07:02:44 AM »

I did mine.

It's been good knowing you  guys.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2019, 10:24:33 AM »
We should integrate the death clock into Scoop .. although that may have a deleterious effect on page views.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2019, 10:33:36 AM »

It's got me to 96 which seems like the area some of my great Aunts & Uncles have been hitting and they were pretty healthy until then.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2019, 10:38:02 AM »
Hmmmm.  I'm going to die just a couple weeks prior to my 90th birthday.  Guess I shouldn't plan that big birthday party.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2019, 10:50:40 AM »
Hmmmm.  I'm going to die just a couple weeks prior to my 90th birthday.  Guess I shouldn't plan that big birthday party.

Brother Benny, you can invite me! This thing says I'm going to be 96!

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2019, 10:57:29 AM »
"And I am not frightened of dying, any time will do, I don't mind. Why should I be frightened of dying? There's no reason for it, you've gotta go sometime. "

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2019, 04:30:47 PM »
"And I am not frightened of dying, any time will do, I don't mind. Why should I be frightened of dying? There's no reason for it, you've gotta go sometime. "

Sing it, Roger....

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2019, 07:24:41 PM »
No Man is an Island'
No man is an island entire of itself; every man
is a piece of the continent, a part of the main;
if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe
is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as
well as any manner of thy friends or of thine
own were; any man's death diminishes me,
because I am involved in mankind.
And therefore never send to know for whom
the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.

MEDITATION XVII
Devotions upon Emergent Occasions
John Donne
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2019, 10:28:05 PM »
No Man is an Island'
No man is an island entire of itself; every man
is a piece of the continent, a part of the main;
if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe
is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as
well as any manner of thy friends or of thine
own were; any man's death diminishes me,
because I am involved in mankind.
And therefore never send to know for whom
the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.

MEDITATION XVII
Devotions upon Emergent Occasions
John Donne

That's been so over-Donne

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2019, 03:54:30 PM »
Thank God I'm not a pessimist.  I would have died in December. 

Life is good and getting better every day.  Yes sir, optimist here.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2019, 04:43:01 PM »
Thank God I'm not a pessimist.  I would have died in December. 

Life is good and getting better every day.  Yes sir, optimist here.

I've decided to be an optimist too. 

'Course I'll probably screw that up like everything else.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2019, 09:28:39 AM »
This got me thinking that we have seen several Scoopers fall out of line and go on to The Great Mystery. The one I remember is Trekyfoil.

Who are some of the other Scoopers who have flown off to The Big Hangar?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2019, 10:28:53 AM »
Dying at 73....I can live with that
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2019, 04:27:09 PM »
This got me thinking that we have seen several Scoopers fall out of line and go on to The Great Mystery. The one I remember is Trekyfoil.

Who are some of the other Scoopers who have flown off to The Big Hangar?

Was ParkTheShark a Scooper?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2019, 05:26:39 PM »

Was ParkTheShark a Scooper?

Dont think so.

4ever just smells like he's dead.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2019, 08:12:47 PM »

98!  But I die right before Christmas.   :(
Have some patience, FFS.

feedback