[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Nukem2
[April 19, 2024, 09:24:02 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Oops / SJU  (Read 38883 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Oops
« Reply #100 on: February 05, 2019, 10:04:42 PM »
Sam n joey were wide open
I cannot imagine that was the play.  I think it was just the lastest of a long string of stupid Markus plays on the night.  Really disappointing.  Game was effectively lost by not playing intensely enough for much of the firat half.  When we matches their intensity were were fine.  Hole was just pretty deep.

Sam was open from the Al logo. Joey was not open, he was trying for a backdoor cut but Clarke and Figuroa were in position to pick off entry passes. Sacar was open for three between the corner and the elbow but honestly Markus shooting double clutch is probably as probable if not more than Sacar shooting that shot.

https://painttouches.files.wordpress.com/2019/02/screenshot-2.png
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #101 on: February 05, 2019, 10:06:28 PM »
Kansas state beat kansas by 10 n keads the Big 12
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #102 on: February 05, 2019, 10:08:03 PM »

Huh he catches that and steps into a perfect 3 shot or reverses to joey
Markus fd that up trying to playbhero ball ,  terrible game by Markus.  Get ready for nova

Look again, you can see Joey is already starting his backdoor cut. Unless he backpedals Sam would have had no one to reverse it to. Sam could have stepped into a three....from way way way beyond the NBA line.

Honestly the right move was to do the Rowsey. He got Heron to bite hook, line, and sinker. Dude was going to full on tackle Markus if he didn't dodge to the side. There's a reason you don't see many players do the Rowsey, most players instincts are to let the defender fly by and take a shot.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 10:10:49 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #103 on: February 05, 2019, 10:12:10 PM »
Look again, you can see Joey is already starting his backdoor cut. Unless he backpedals Sam would have had no one to reverse it to. Sam could have stepped into a three....from way way way beyond the NBA line.

Honestly the right move was to do the Rowsey. He got Heron to bite hook, line, and sinker. Dude was going to full on tackle Markus if he didn't dodge to the side. There's a reason you don't see many players do the Rowsey, most players instincts are to let the defender fly by and take a shot.

Markus fd the whole thing up, as soon as he lost his dribble i knew it was gonna be a crap show. REally really bad night by Markus.

CountryRoads

• All American
Re: Oops / SJU
« Reply #104 on: February 05, 2019, 10:14:25 PM »
On a brighter note... free shakes! (with the two Clarke misses) lol

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #105 on: February 05, 2019, 10:14:42 PM »
We are now 6-1 in games decided by 2 possessions or less this year.  I think most would take that, and TBH if you are going to lose a close game, I would rather drop one where you play sub-par for long stretches and your comeback falls just a little short, versus playing well for 30-35 minutes and then pissing it away late, less of a gut punch.  This team didn't quit, and I expect them to be ready to play on Saturday.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #106 on: February 05, 2019, 10:15:27 PM »
Seriously, how does Sham Ponds slide like a skateboarder and not get called for a travel? He looked like he was on roller skates. Then the three shot foul on Sacar? For what, looking at him funny?

The no travel was attrocious, though it didn't end up hurting us. I went back and looked at that foul on the three point play. It looks like Anim bumps him with the body just a little bit. One of those that sometimes gets called and sometimes doesn't. The one I really didn't like was the continuation on Ponds' and one. If Markus didn't get continuation in the first half, no way Ponds should have in the second. The foul when JC wrapped up Ponds was also questionable to me. That seemed like laziness on Ponds part and I saw nothing that was a foul on Joe.

Such is life. Don't miss a ton of open shots in the first half and its a moot point.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 10:24:10 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #107 on: February 05, 2019, 10:18:20 PM »
Markus fd the whole thing up, as soon as he lost his dribble i knew it was gonna be a crap show. REally really bad night by Markus.

It wasn't his best night, honestly I thought one of the biggest problems was his defense on Simon in the first half. Dude got whatever he wanted. I thought this was one of Markus' better games distributing the ball. 3 turnovers when you play 39 minutes and have the ball in your hands every possession is solid.
TAMU

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #108 on: February 05, 2019, 10:21:29 PM »
The one I really didn't like was the continuation on Ponds' and one. If Markus didn't get continuation in the first half, no way Ponds should have in the second.

This. That continuation play was a killer.

Props to Chartouny. I thought he was a difference maker on the defensive end in the second half. If this team is going to make a tourney run, we need him to be a major contributor.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #109 on: February 05, 2019, 10:21:58 PM »
It wasn't his best night, honestly I thought one of the biggest problems was his defense on Simon in the first half. Dude got whatever he wanted. I thought this was one of Markus' better games distributing the ball. 3 turnovers when you play 39 minutes and have the ball in your hands every possession is solid.
He also gave up the hige offensive rebound late in the game where he stood there and his man ran right past him.  I saw the three TOs
Thatbis creative stat keeping he had at least 4 that i recall, 2 in a row in the first half,  the cross lane pass in the second, inbounds in second.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #110 on: February 05, 2019, 10:22:29 PM »
This. That continuation play was a killer.

Props to Chartouny. I thought he was a difference maker on the defensive end in the second half. If this team is going to make a tourney run, we need him to be a major contributor.

Agree on all counts

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #111 on: February 05, 2019, 10:24:15 PM »
Gotta hand it to SJU, they are long and athletic and really disrupt our offense.  They also got some big offensive rebounds late.  Glad we are done playing them but I would take another shot at them at MSG.  Now lets beat Nova.

Also you have to think playing alongside Rowsey for so long Markus would have that "thing" nailed by now.  Guess not.

jimmybutlerfanatic

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #112 on: February 05, 2019, 10:25:10 PM »
I'm not a bball coach or expert. I love Markus.

That's the play they draw up after a time out?!

DOWN BY 1 POINT, Markus circus shot, hero ball?!

That was the game plan? Seriously?

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #113 on: February 05, 2019, 10:27:22 PM »
We are now 6-1 in games decided by 2 possessions or less this year.  I think most would take that, and TBH if you are going to lose a close game, I would rather drop one where you play sub-par for long stretches and your comeback falls just a little short, versus playing well for 30-35 minutes and then pissing it away late, less of a gut punch.  This team didn't quit, and I expect them to be ready to play on Saturday.

As hard as it was to see that final possession fizzle out, you're spot on here. We've more things bounce our way than usual this year, so we were bound to come up short in one of the close ones eventually. And as nice as an undefeated season at home would have been, we're still in great shape for the post-season, and we have a great opportunity to chip away at Nova's lead on Saturday.

This might even be a wakeup call to the team and even to Wojo about what it takes to win the rest of the way out. There's some good film to take away from tonight even if the final result was an L.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #114 on: February 05, 2019, 10:28:24 PM »

That's the play they draw up after a time out?!

DOWN BY 1 POINT, Markus circus shot, hero ball?!

That was the game plan? Seriously?

I do not believe so.  Wojo said Markus was supposed to drive or look for Sam or Theo.  Also, I'm not sure that Wojo wanted that TO called.  Markus came down the court looking at him, and then picked up his dribble.  From where I was sitting, it looked like Wojo wanted him to drive straight away and not let the D get set.  Once Markus picked up his dribble, Wojo's hands were kind of tied.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #115 on: February 05, 2019, 10:29:37 PM »
Good night for Joseph, bad, bad night for Joey.

So many opportunities for a win, and pissed away.

A troublesome trend that not many have commented on is our tendency to fall behind early. This team needs to learn what time the game starts.

Everyone in the western hemisphere knew that Ponds was going to take their last shot, except maybe Wojo and Sacar. Rowsey would have won at the buzzer.

Suck it up. Beat Nova and let's play it out.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #116 on: February 05, 2019, 10:30:49 PM »
Sam n joey were wide open
I cannot imagine that was the play.  I think it was just the lastest of a long string of stupid Markus plays on the night.  Really disappointing.  Game was effectively lost by not playing intensely enough for much of the firat half.  When we matches their intensity were were fine.  Hole was just pretty deep.

Maybe they didnt. That said, a ton of wide open 3s missed tonight. The looks were there. If sam makes 1 more of his first 8 (all pretty wide) it is a win. Sometimes the shots dont fall. Still were there at the end.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #117 on: February 05, 2019, 10:31:06 PM »
He also gave up the hige offensive rebound late in the game where he stood there and his man ran right past him.  I saw the three TOs
Thatbis creative stat keeping he had at least 4 that i recall, 2 in a row in the first half,  the cross lane pass in the second, inbounds in second.

That possession was killer. Good d ends with Clarke taking an off balance three, Figueroa gets the offensive board over Markus, good d nearly leads to Ponds throwing it away but Simon corrals it, Joe gets his fingertips on Simon's pass and just misses the steal, Ponds throws up a rushed three at the buzzer, Simon skies over Markus for the tip out, Joe gets called for a soft foul on what looked like a good tie up. Took an entire minute off the game clock and put them up 5.
TAMU

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #118 on: February 05, 2019, 10:32:32 PM »
Ummm, yes. Sam was between the Al logo and the half court logo.

https://painttouches.files.wordpress.com/2019/02/screenshot-2.png

Well within his range.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #119 on: February 05, 2019, 10:35:01 PM »
What a stupid play by markus.. jumps out of the way to avoid the foul.... insane literally got Heron in the air and could easily have drawn the foul

+1

https://twitter.com/robdauster/status/1092992385481617409

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #120 on: February 05, 2019, 10:36:02 PM »
Well within his range.

Still had 6 seconds. Think the Sam pump fake and blow by could have been a good look. Although, Markus panicked when he fumbled the ball and it went to hell from there. I still like Howard with the ball there. Guy has made some tough shots. Next one maybe.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #121 on: February 05, 2019, 10:40:30 PM »
1. Markus wasn't as sharp as he usually is, but he wasn't "bad." He had 3 TOs; I wish he had zero, but that wasn't some crazy-high total. He didn't shoot well overall but he went 4-for-8 from behind the arc on a night when the Hausers combined to go 3-for-14. He had 5 assists, including the drive-and-dish to Sacar for the go-ahead 3. He set a great screen on Sam's 3 that pulled us within 2 points. Only somebody who knows next to nothing about basketball would say that Markus was "terrible."

2. Our Warriors couldn't make a shot much of the night. It happens. I hate to lose, but I love the way the team battled back despite missing so many open shots that our guys usually swish. I would be happy if our guys get most of the exact same shots against Nova. Sam must have missed 4 wide-open looks, and even Markus missed one that he was so open I think it surprised him.

3. No doubt Sacar had a rough night on both ends of the court. And yet Sacar confidently stepped into that 3 to put us ahead. He was shoved a little on Ponds' winning shot, but you're just not gonna get that call.

4. Put me in the camp wishing that we had posted up Sam on the last possession. Very tough to defend. Of course, he missed a few from the post, too.

5. I obviously also wish Markus had Rowseyed his last shot; he totally had the defender in the air and even an incompetent ref would have had to call that foul. But he's not used to doing it -- has never done it once that I can recall -- and his instinct was to duck under and try the shot he did.

6. Just watched the replay 5 times. To say Sam was wide-open for a great look is a major, major stretch. There was a split second, when Markus started his move, that he could have kicked out to Sam probably about 28 feet from the hoop; but had he waited even a half-second after that, Ponds would have stolen the pass. And Joey was being used as a decoy far away and was not open; he cut into the middle very late but Markus was already shot-committed. I don't mind a playmaker like Markus not forcing a pass to either Hauser; I just wish he'd have Rowseyed!

7. My only really big strategic difference from what Wojo did tonight: I would have double-teamed Ponds to get/keep the ball out of his hands on that last possession. I wouldn't even have been crushed if somebody else got it, went to the hoop and we fouled. And I sure as heck would have had Theo and/or Sam hugging the lane to cut off a Ponds drive ... and taken my chances with any other Johnny shooting a 3 had Ponds kicked it. Anybody but Ponds there would have been my goal.

8. One bad luck play that was kind of a microcosm of the night: Sacar gets an offensive rebound and dishes to Markus for a wide-open 3, but a touch-foul is called on StJ instead. Sacar then misses the front end of the 1-and-1. So instead of 3, we get bupkis.

9. Best game of the season for JCS. That's what we were hoping we were getting when we brought him in. I'll take 16 more of those please! Also a superb contribution from Morrow.

10. I appreciate Joey's contribution this season as much as anybody does, and I am on the record numerous times as saying I think he's gonna be a stud for us and an eventual NBAer. But he was on a milk carton tonight. 0-for-3 and 1 reb in 24 minutes, and all kinds of trouble keeping up with the players he was trying to defend. I still think he's gonna be a stud, but I sometimes have to remind myself that he's a freshman and nowhere near a finished product. Rooting for him to bounce back strong against Nova, and I think he will.

11. We rebounded well most of the night. Only gave up 7 offensive boards. Unfortunately, 2 came on that one effen possession.

12. Still very high on this team. Couldn't make a shot, fell behind by 15 but battled back. There are no moral victories, but there are character tests, and we passed.

13. We're beating Nova on Saturday. Go Marquette!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #122 on: February 05, 2019, 10:40:38 PM »
3.  Chartouny looked solid.  Maybe his beat game of the year.  And Wojo rode him.
6.  Sacar was bad tonight.  Until the big shot.  And then he fell on his butt on the biggest defensive possession of the game.
8.  This team doesn't stink.  Wojo shouldn't be fired.

3 - Chartouny showed up tonight. He had some nice shot fakes early that seemed to keep the defense on their toes. What I don't get, though, is why Wojo had Markus bringing the ball up so much late in the 2nd half when things had been running well through JC. I would have liked to have seen more Chartouny.

6 - Was Sacar really that bad? I though he played a decent game. The missed FTs hurt for sure, but he was 5-8 from the floor and had 4 or 5 boards. The late foul on the 3 was bad, but outside of that, his D wasn't too bad. (let's just never talk about that late slip again)

8 - Wojo has certainly proven himself to any doubters, myself included, this year. There were some things down the stretch that I didn't really understand, but after he found a way to claw us back into the game after a 15 point deficit, it's hard to be too critical. I do think more BB or JC late in the game instead of one of Theo or Sacar could have helped, given their FT issues. And for the life of me, I just don't understand all the Jamal DNPs lately. But those are nitpicky things in a season full of great moments. I think he'll find the right way to use this as a motivator for Nova.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #123 on: February 05, 2019, 10:47:28 PM »
+1

https://twitter.com/robdauster/status/1092992385481617409

That angle gives some evidence for the Joey got fouled on the rebound. I know a foul is a foul at any time but I still don't think 95% of refs call that.
TAMU

21rooster

• Starter
« Reply #124 on: February 05, 2019, 11:29:57 PM »
The only reason Joey doesn’t come down with that rebound is that he got hit from the side.  After the Ponds ‘and one’ play, I’m not surprised.  I was sitting with a Badger fan at the game (don’t ask) who turned to me after the Ponds play and said, “I thought this was Marquette’s arena.”  That says it all.  Plenty of blame to go around, but this was about as badly one-sided as we’ve seen a game this year.  I’m not even sure Markus gets the call if he does a Rowsey on that last shot.