[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: RIP George H. W. Bush  (Read 9180 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
RIP George H. W. Bush
« on: November 30, 2018, 11:32:48 PM »
RIP George Bush. 
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Re: RIP George H. W. Bush
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 12:34:33 AM »
RIP George Bush.

The end of bipartisanship in the US.  "Read my lips, no new taxes." Followed by a compromise tax bill with the D's.

Then the D's called.bush a tax raiser and history has shown the results.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 07:40:44 AM »
It was the R's that took him down for this, not the D's.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2018, 07:41:07 AM »
God's blessings upon him and his family.  Resquiat in pace.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 07:59:04 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2018, 08:21:43 AM »
Fine man.

Good President.

Bad promise.

President Bush served our country well in war and peace. What was a typical Bush moment was the instructions after the Berlin Wall fell. "No gloating," was the word from the White House. We'd won the Cold War and President Bush knew we had to win the peace.

He accepted the 1992 elections with grace and good humor and, amazingly, found a friend in Bill Clinton. Heck, even "W" was calling Bill Clinton "my other brother hanging around with my Dad!"

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2018, 08:57:47 AM »
RIP George Bush.

Indeed. 1000 points of light, kindler gentler nation, war vet.  Some things do not agree with him on, but seemed to be person of decency.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2018, 12:09:49 PM »
The end of bipartisanship in the US.  "Read my lips, no new taxes." Followed by a compromise tax bill with the D's.

::)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2018, 07:10:44 PM »
RIP H dubya-hard to find much fault there except the read my...had the football pulled out from him...but who hasn't...was an all round great guy-RIP
don't...don't don't don't don't

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2018, 08:36:39 PM »

You're wrong. Unsure if it's purposeful or out of ignorance.

When HW Bush enacted the tax rise, the right wing of the GOP sowed the seeds of revolt. It evolved into the primary as bloodsport version of politics which is ever present to this day. It also allowed for a more conservative message to become mainstream with a news channel that, ironically, had a strong hand in seeing his son chosen as President.

Final note, HW Bush was not a great President but he was far better then most remember and/or most wish to acknowledge. His positioning with German unification could be argued as the most important brick laid in the foundation of a new Europe. A Europe that the current POTUS wishes to dismantle.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2018, 09:00:07 PM »
A decent and honorable man.

Rest In Peace.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2018, 09:48:33 PM »
You're wrong. Unsure if it's purposeful or out of ignorance.

When HW Bush enacted the tax rise, the right wing of the GOP sowed the seeds of revolt. It evolved into the primary as bloodsport version of politics which is ever present to this day. It also allowed for a more conservative message to become mainstream with a news channel that, ironically, had a strong hand in seeing his son chosen as President.

Final note, HW Bush was not a great President but he was far better then most remember and/or most wish to acknowledge. His positioning with German unification could be argued as the most important brick laid in the foundation of a new Europe. A Europe that the current POTUS wishes to dismantle.

Brought about the rise of Newt with his hate politics that continues to this day.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2018, 10:11:24 PM »

Marquette's finest.

Pierce ravaged him when he was President, however.

Good thing what started as a nice tribute, is becoming political.  The man is dead, did some good things and not so good things.  RIP Mr. President.  I didn't vote for you, but respect you.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 10:13:02 PM by WarriorDad »
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2018, 10:26:42 PM »

Chicos obviously didn't read the article.

Charlie is just one of several triggers that will cause Chicos to come out of the woodwork.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 10:29:32 PM by Mutaman »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2018, 07:45:14 AM »

Good thing what started as a nice tribute, is becoming political.  The man is dead, did some good things and not so good things.  RIP Mr. President.  I didn't vote for you, but respect you.

Wake up.  Everything is political.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2018, 11:26:54 AM »
A decent and honorable man.

Rest In Peace.

escalation of the racist drug war, particularly the entrapment of a high school kid for a publicity stunt (a kid that served 8.5 years in jail), an integral part the GOP's Southern Strategy during his days in the CIA, the invasion of Iraq based upon falsehoods (runs in the family, I guess) and ordering troops to set oil wells on fire and other subsequent war crimes, Willie Horton, ignoring HIV . Yeah, honorable....

The day after OJ Simpson dies we'll read nothing but platitudes about how great he was as a football player and as Officer Norberg and that whole murder thing, well, we can't speak ill of the dead...
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2018, 01:48:42 PM »
escalation of the racist drug war, particularly the entrapment of a high school kid for a publicity stunt (a kid that served 8.5 years in jail), an integral part the GOP's Southern Strategy during his days in the CIA, the invasion of Iraq based upon falsehoods (runs in the family, I guess) and ordering troops to set oil wells on fire and other subsequent war crimes, Willie Horton, ignoring HIV . Yeah, honorable....

The day after OJ Simpson dies we'll read nothing but platitudes about how great he was as a football player and as Officer Norberg and that whole murder thing, well, we can't speak ill of the dead...

Masterlock.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2018, 02:28:19 PM »
George moved his family here to Houston in 1958...and hung around long enough to see his Astros win the WS. lol

Almost none of the local news coverage refers to anything political. Rather almost all local memories center on folks' friendly encounters with a true gentleman.

I did not dare impose or approach him, but I recall stopping in Tanglewood Pharmacy...he walked past me toward the back where he was simply meeting some friends for coffee. Just an unassuming guy meeting for coffee. Nothing fancy.

This is a man appreciated here for his humanity, kindness, courtesy and self deprecation. Houstonians are proud of this man...he was a good person. RIP
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2018, 02:35:38 PM »

41 was more accomplished at 20 than you'll be when you die. Despicable post from a despicable guy.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2018, 02:37:22 PM »

"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2018, 03:47:18 PM »
41 was more accomplished at 20 than you'll be when you die. Despicable post from a despicable guy.
It is possible to be both very accomplished and to have taken the actions and policy stances that Billy Hoyle pointed out.  That is why I thought Charlie Pierce’s analysis was spot on— some of the things he did and said seemed to be done as matters of politics more than from his personal viewpoint.  As Charlie said, his ambition overrode his better nature at times.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2018, 03:59:24 PM »
It is possible to be both very accomplished and to have taken the actions and policy stances that Billy Hoyle pointed out.  That is why I thought Charlie Pierce’s analysis was spot on— some of the things he did and said seemed to be done as matters of politics more than from his personal viewpoint.  As Charlie said, his ambition overrode his better nature at times.

Wait, you are saying a politician did things to generate political power so they could take action? What??? At some point we are going to have to realize because of the way society has constructed the game all politicians are "dirty" these days. It's a sport with power = winning, and everyone wants to back a winner.

In all seriousness, I don't recall all the ins and outs of the Bush 41 years but what I saw then and what I've read since, he was one of the last politicians that used power not for the sake of power but for the advancement of what he thought were the morally correct things. You could disagree with his policies or positions but not really with his intent. I think 44 had some of that in him as well.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2018, 04:03:03 PM »
In all seriousness, I don't recall all the ins and outs of the Bush 41 years but what I saw then and what I've read since, he was one of the last politicians that used power not for the sake of power but for the advancement of what he thought were the morally correct things.

Oh FFS, are you sh*tting me?

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2018, 04:14:00 PM »
Wait, you are saying a politician did things to generate political power so they could take action? What??? At some point we are going to have to realize because of the way society has constructed the game all politicians are "dirty" these days. It's a sport with power = winning, and everyone wants to back a winner.

In all seriousness, I don't recall all the ins and outs of the Bush 41 years but what I saw then and what I've read since, he was one of the last politicians that used power not for the sake of power but for the advancement of what he thought were the morally correct things. You could disagree with his policies or positions but not really with his intent. I think 44 had some of that in him as well.
I was reacting to Lenny’s post that seemed to imply that because Bush was accomplished it was out of bounds to criticize his policies.  And I was agreeing with Pierce that some of those policies were pretty bad ethical lapses that he took anyway even though they may have been against his personal nature.

feedback