Big East 2024 Offseason by WeAreMarquette96
[April 17, 2024, 11:14:56 PM]

Academic All Americans by AlumKCof93
[April 17, 2024, 10:44:57 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by withoutbias
[April 17, 2024, 10:44:37 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WhiteTrash
[April 17, 2024, 07:24:33 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Plaque Lives Matter!
[April 17, 2024, 06:35:36 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by WhiteTrash
[April 17, 2024, 05:13:59 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: RIP George H. W. Bush  (Read 9108 times)

Lighthouse 84

• All American
Re: RIP George H. W. Bush
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2018, 04:17:54 PM »

Oh FFS, are you sh*tting me?
Here we go. 

In before the lock. 
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2018, 04:21:16 PM »

Oh FFS, are you sh*tting me?

Pontificate, Pontiff.  Let's hear it.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2018, 04:25:05 PM »
I was reacting to Lenny’s post that seemed to imply that because Bush was accomplished it was out of bounds to criticize his policies.  And I was agreeing with Pierce that some of those policies were pretty bad ethical lapses that he took anyway even though they may have been against his personal nature.

Smitty, if you think Hoyle's post (including comparing 41 to OJ) was an example of pointing out policy differences I'm surprised and won't even conjure a reply.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2018, 04:26:32 PM »
Don't really care about what his political agendas were, respect the man and the office.  President Bush enlisted in the Navy two weeks after high school to fight in WWII.  He could have enrolled in Yale, but did not.  He wanted to fight for his country at age 19 in order to protect the rights we have in this country.   He flew 58 missions, was shot down and lost two of his airmen.

Went on to serve over 60 years of service to the U.S. as a congressman, ambassador, CIA Director, Vice President and has a freaking nuclear aircraft carrier named after him.  The sight of those Navy sailors from the USS George H.W. Bush, lined up on the runway at Andrews Air Force base was awesome. 

RIP Mr. President

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2018, 04:36:45 PM »
Here we go. 

In before the lock.

I'm not making political statements.  People just have to stop with the over the top statements like GHWB was one of the last politicians who did things because he felt they were morally correct.

Many politicians, on both sides, do things all the time because they feel they are morally correct and not simply to advance power.  I mean seriously. 

Vogue 66

• Walk-On
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2018, 04:43:57 PM »

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2018, 04:58:45 PM »
Smitty, if you think Hoyle's post (including comparing 41 to OJ) was an example of pointing out policy differences I'm surprised and won't even conjure a reply.
His post was inflamatory, no doubt, and intentionally so.  And probably not a good way to start a serious debate (and avoid a locked thread).

But there are lot of horrible (IMO) things —IranContra, the f up that lead to the Iraq-Kuwait war in the first place—that shouldn’t simply be ignored because he was also accomplished,
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2018, 05:23:51 PM »
His post was inflamatory, no doubt, and intentionally so.  And probably not a good way to start a serious debate (and avoid a locked thread).

But there are lot of horrible (IMO) things —IranContra, the f up that lead to the Iraq-Kuwait war in the first place—that shouldn’t simply be ignored because he was also accomplished,

We like to whitewash.  It makes us feel better.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2018, 05:24:08 PM »
These comments lead me to assume that, like Poppy Bush, a lot of folks were "out of the loop" on the Iran-Contra affair. Maybe they left it out of recent history books.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2018, 06:05:30 PM »

Guess what? Lots of stuff (IMO) horrible about the Carter, Clinton and Obama white houses. There was plenty of time to note all of this during their lives and a fair reading of history will further document them. But at their respective funerals I'll have the decency to let those who thought well of those leaders celebrate what they consider their accomplishments.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2018, 06:15:08 PM »
Guess what? Lots of stuff (IMO) horrible about the Carter, Clinton and Obama white houses. There was plenty of time to note all of this during their lives and a fair reading of history will further document them. But at their respective funerals I'll have the decency to let those who thought well of those leaders celebrate what they consider their accomplishments.

I guess. But the problem is that it trends toward exaggeration. Which isn’t healthy. 

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2018, 07:09:52 PM »
George moved his family here to Houston in 1958...and hung around long enough to see his Astros win the WS. lol

Almost none of the local news coverage refers to anything political. Rather almost all local memories center on folks' friendly encounters with a true gentleman.

I did not dare impose or approach him, but I recall stopping in Tanglewood Pharmacy...he walked past me toward the back where he was simply meeting some friends for coffee. Just an unassuming guy meeting for coffee. Nothing fancy.

This is a man appreciated here for his humanity, kindness, courtesy and self deprecation. Houstonians are proud of this man...he was a good person. RIP

This is the type of post that should be on any obituary post.  You others would kick an old lady if she were down...have some respect for cryin out loud and take your dis to mother jones where someone might listen
don't...don't don't don't don't

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2018, 07:16:46 PM »

This is the type of post that should be on any obituary post.  You others would kick an old lady if she were down...have some respect for cryin out loud and take your dis to mother jones where someone might listen

So "respect" means speaking in never ending platitudes about the guy? 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2018, 08:25:06 PM »

So "respect" means speaking in never ending platitudes about the guy?

I suppose at every funeral you attend you make sure you correct the eulogies so they are in line with your opinion of the deceased. Sheesh.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2018, 08:26:43 PM »
I suppose at every funeral you attend you make sure you correct the eulogies so they are in line with your opinion of the deceased. Sheesh.

I'm not attending his funeral.  I am posting about his death on a college basketball message board.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2018, 08:37:51 PM »

I'm not attending his funeral.  I am posting about his death on a college basketball message board.

Well I guess to some that would make you a little less of a dick. But only a little.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2018, 08:43:38 PM »
Well I guess to some that would make you a little less of a dick. But only a little.

I haven't really said anything about him.  Just about the over-the-top nonsense that everyone else is saying.

And if that makes me "a dick" in your eyes....oh well...

tower912

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2018, 08:44:30 PM »
Distasteful.  A flawed human being, like the rest of us.  Regardless of my political thoughts about him, I choose to show him the respect I would hope others will show me.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2018, 09:06:42 PM »

Go Warriors!

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2018, 09:21:15 PM »
Distasteful.  A flawed human being, like the rest of us.  Regardless of my political thoughts about him, I choose to show him the respect I would hope others will show me.

Thank you.

Family, friends political allies and admirers share stories, write eulogies. Political opponents (like yourself) offer condolences, show respect.

Used to be a given. Not any more.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2018, 09:33:35 PM »
The man should be honored for the good he did for the country and humanity in general.  He clearly was a man of great dedication (both to country and family) and appears to have been a man who tried to do the right thing in all aspects of his life.

However, some of his actions unquestionably had serious negative impacts.  Some may have been unforeseen, some may have been for the greater good.  That comes with the territory when you are at the highest levels of the US government for 40 years and live until 94.  It's also, 2018 and those people on the receiving end of his actions have a voice and should allowed to voice the pain they've felt.  It doesn't mean he wasn't a great individual who did great things, it means if we ignore the oversights we aren't looking at the whole picture. 

I hope that if he could do it all over again he would have addressed the AIDS epidemic differently than he had.  That does not take away from any of his great achievements.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2018, 09:37:38 PM »
The man should be honored for the good he did for the country and humanity in general.  He clearly was a man of great dedication (both to country and family) and appears to have been a man who tried to do the right thing in all aspects of his life.

However, some of his actions unquestionably had serious negative impacts.  Some may have been unforeseen, some may have been for the greater good.  That comes with the territory when you are at the highest levels of the US government for 40 years and live until 94.  It's also, 2018 and those people on the receiving end of his actions have a voice and should allowed to voice the pain they've felt.  It doesn't mean he wasn't a great individual who did great things, it means if we ignore the oversights we aren't looking at the whole picture. 

I hope that if he could do it all over again he would have addressed the AIDS epidemic differently than he had.  That does not take away from any of his great achievements.

I mean...yeah.  And nothing about that is disrespectful. 

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2018, 09:39:43 PM »

I'm not making political statements.  People just have to stop with the over the top statements like GHWB was one of the last politicians who did things because he felt they were morally correct.

Many politicians, on both sides, do things all the time because they feel they are morally correct and not simply to advance power.  I mean seriously.
When Obama passes away,and out of respect for another human being I hope it’s not for years and years, I hope you’ll have the same belief and not be respectful of another dead president. I’ll bet that won’t be the case.   But since you’ve already spoken,  I guess we have to go with that and the rest of us are wrong.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2018, 09:43:25 PM »
When Obama passes away,and out of respect for another human being I hope it’s not for years and years, I hope you’ll have the same belief and not be respectful of another dead president. I’ll bet that won’t be the case.   But since you’ve already spoken,  I guess we have to go with that and the rest of us are wrong.

First, I won’t care what people say about Obama. I don’t hung up on any of this stuff. Platitudes annoy me regardless of who they’re directed toward.

Second, what exactly have I said that is disrespectful?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2018, 09:56:05 PM »
It doesn’t take much intelligence to see past the bad to the good.

God or the FSM help all y’all focused on the bad.  Bush 41 was the last of a breed who made public service his primary motivation... the man enlisted during WWII and since his presidency, we’ve had four presidents who did everything they could to avoid military service, yet couldn’t wait to cash in on their presidency (three of whom at least waited until afterwards).

Every president must act in a utilitarian manner at times in furtherance to society.  Quibbling over who he should have appointed to the Supreme Court, how he should have handled Desert Storm, whether he should/shouldn’t have kept campaign promises, etc. is so very simple minded.

Not everyone agrees with his policies or methods, but remember, the person who looks to please everyone pleases no one.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.