[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 19, 2024, 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[April 19, 2024, 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: RIP George H. W. Bush  (Read 9161 times)

Golden Avalanche

• All American
Re: RIP George H. W. Bush
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2018, 09:56:59 PM »
For those who are feeling offended that HW is being "disrespected", does the strong reaction have to do with HW being (arguably) the last GOP potus that men of a certain age feel pride about his administration?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2018, 10:15:52 PM »
For those who are feeling offended that HW is being "disrespected", does the strong reaction have to do with HW being (arguably) the last GOP potus that men of a certain age feel pride about his administration?

No

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2018, 07:52:17 AM »
nm

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2018, 08:26:28 AM »
Nads will get dis wear it kneeds ta bee write quickly, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2018, 08:44:10 AM »
GHWB was a decent man.   Of course, as a politician, he made decisions I didn't and don't like.    But there was never a doubt about his fundamental decency.   He could laugh at himself.    He could work with others who didn't share his political visions.   His note to President Clinton was pure class and was an example for all of us in how we should handle ourselves.    And they eventually became good friends.    Think about that.    Becoming friends and working together with someone who defeated you in a bitter campaign.   Kudos to both.

The contrast with current events and politicians is stark.    I won't belabor the point but would ask you to ponder what is happening in state legislatures and DC these days in comparison to the class and dignity with which GHWB conducted himself during the transition of power to President Clinton.   

An old Irish saying.... we won't see the likes of him again.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2018, 08:55:18 AM »
GHWB was a decent man.   Of course, as a politician, he made decisions I didn't and don't like.    But there was never a doubt about his fundamental decency.   He could laugh at himself.    He could work with others who didn't share his political visions.   His note to President Clinton was pure class and was an example for all of us in how we should handle ourselves.    And they eventually became good friends.    Think about that.    Becoming friends and working together with someone who defeated you in a bitter campaign.   Kudos to both.

The contrast with current events and politicians is stark.    I won't belabor the point but would ask you to ponder what is happening in state legislatures and DC these days in comparison to the class and dignity with which GHWB conducted himself during the transition of power to President Clinton.   

This is exactly what I'm trying to say.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2018, 10:09:48 AM »

+1
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2018, 10:10:56 AM »

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2018, 11:41:23 AM »
I agree with your agreement.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2018, 07:47:42 PM »

Large portion of Republican electeds who never forgave John McCain for being friendly with Barack Obama after 2008. It could happen more often in a private way than normal citizens will ever know but the public display of the friendship may be rejected as a result of avoiding the scorn that could come from colleagues.

manny31

• Starter
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2018, 10:15:45 PM »
Hell yeah Bob Dole! Way to represent!
Rest In Peace Mr. President.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2018, 11:14:04 PM »
Large portion of Republican electeds who never forgave John McCain for being friendly with Barack Obama after 2008. It could happen more often in a private way than normal citizens will ever know but the public display of the friendship may be rejected as a result of avoiding the scorn that could come from colleagues.

If a man does something strictly for the purpose of avoiding scorn from his colleagues, he is not a man.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 11:15:39 PM by Jockey »

Goose

• All American
« Reply #62 on: December 05, 2018, 07:13:11 AM »
The passing of President Bush has hit home for me. First off, I am a very big fan of the entire Bush family and appreciate their service. In addition, it makes me think and remember my own Dad, who would be 97 and was a WWII vet as well.
My prayers are in full force for the Bush family. Their class and service to our country are greatly appreciated. Today, I will grieve the loss of a truly special man.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2018, 04:25:19 PM »
The passing of President Bush has hit home for me. First off, I am a very big fan of the entire Bush family and appreciate their service. In addition, it makes me think and remember my own Dad, who would be 97 and was a WWII vet as well.
My prayers are in full force for the Bush family. Their class and service to our country are greatly appreciated. Today, I will grieve the loss of a truly special man.

As you well know goose, good, honest, hard working, honorable people, especially vets are becoming a vanishing breed.  All we can say is that we knew some of them.  Whether or not we can live up to these standards is questionable, but it sure in the H-E-double hockey sticks is worth a try.  At least we have the memories of what a good decent person is supposed to look like.  As for myself, gotta  leave that for other good ones and Him to opine on, not in my pay grade man

And gosh darn it jockey, your statement above was incredibly cool-makes me wanna have a beer(n.a. of course) with ya over that one 😳
don't...don't don't don't don't

Goose

• All American
« Reply #64 on: December 07, 2018, 05:36:47 PM »
rocket

I am going to die trying to live up to those standards. Not a day goes by that I do not think about the sacrifices my parents made for their country and family. We got to keep the fight!!

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #65 on: December 07, 2018, 05:42:02 PM »
  As you well know goose, good, honest, hard working, honorable people, especially vets are becoming a vanishing breed.

I don’t know that I understand the intent of your statement.  I know plenty of vets that fit this description. 
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 05:47:33 PM by Frenns Liquor Depot »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #66 on: December 07, 2018, 05:44:34 PM »
There is a growing number of vets getting into politics right now.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #67 on: December 07, 2018, 07:33:51 PM »
Chicos obviously didn't read the article.

Charlie is just one of several triggers that will cause Chicos to come out of the woodwork.

If your statement was true, I would have come out, but this is my first response to this thread.  The article was ok.  Charlie isn't MU's finest in my opinion, especially in the journalism sector. 

escalation of the racist drug war, particularly the entrapment of a high school kid for a publicity stunt (a kid that served 8.5 years in jail), an integral part the GOP's Southern Strategy during his days in the CIA, the invasion of Iraq based upon falsehoods (runs in the family, I guess) and ordering troops to set oil wells on fire and other subsequent war crimes, Willie Horton, ignoring HIV . Yeah, honorable....

The day after OJ Simpson dies we'll read nothing but platitudes about how great he was as a football player and as Officer Norberg and that whole murder thing, well, we can't speak ill of the dead...

Half of what you wrote, at least, is absurd.  I'll leave it there. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #68 on: December 07, 2018, 07:37:05 PM »
  As you well know goose, good, honest, hard working, honorable people, especially vets are becoming a vanishing breed.

Not really.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #69 on: December 07, 2018, 07:42:05 PM »
I don’t know that I understand the intent of your statement.  I know plenty of vets that fit this description.

i was referring to guys like goose's dad, g.w. and that era of vets. 

glad to know you know "plenty" of vets.  these people who make the sacrifice and the ultimate sacrifice for our country are special people.

big shout to keefe!

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #70 on: December 07, 2018, 07:45:56 PM »

Not really.

some of you guys just can't help yourselves.  maybe they're all moving to the small cities err something

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #71 on: December 07, 2018, 07:49:59 PM »
  i was referring to guys like goose's dad, g.w. and that era of vets. 

glad to know you know "plenty" of vets.  these people who make the sacrifice and the ultimate sacrifice for our country are special people.

big shout to keefe!

Ok.  Not sure why you need to put quotes around plenty.

I agree those that serve had definitely made a great sacrifice — one greater than me for sure. 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #72 on: December 07, 2018, 08:12:04 PM »
rocket
I understood your point the first time I read it. Thanks for your post!!

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #73 on: December 07, 2018, 09:46:19 PM »
Ok.  Not sure why you need to put quotes around plenty.

I agree those that serve had definitely made a great sacrifice — one greater than me for sure.

good question-sorry... 8-)

feedback