[Today at 05:59:46 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Music Thread  (Read 36362 times)

JustinLewisFanClubPres

• Starter
Re: Music Thread
« Reply #200 on: September 02, 2022, 07:25:23 PM »
Anyone going to the IDLES show at the Riverside tomorrow?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #201 on: September 04, 2022, 07:38:08 AM »
Thought about putting this in the NFL thread but decided it probably belongs here ...

Ozzy Osbourne will be performing at halftime of the NFL season opener Thursday night between the Bills and Rams.

https://consequence.net/2022/09/ozzy-osbourne-halftime-nfl-season-opener/

The Prince of Darkness will be promoting his new album, Patient Number 9, which arrives the next day (September 9th). According to a press release, he’ll perform a multi-song medley, a portion of which will be televised during NBC’s broadcast of the game.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #202 on: September 07, 2022, 12:19:44 PM »
Anyone going to the IDLES show at the Riverside tomorrow?

I heard Matthew Bellamy refer to them as the British RATM.

Listened to some... it isn't a very accurate comparison.

JustinLewisFanClubPres

• Starter
« Reply #203 on: September 07, 2022, 04:47:30 PM »

I agree. I'm not even a huge fan. I just posted out of curiosity because I had a ticket fall into my lap last week. It was a good show and they sounded great. However, I can't say I'm a converted to a believer after the show (which does not seem to be the consensus based on the jsonline's review).

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #204 on: September 07, 2022, 05:27:15 PM »

I mean, maybe because of some of the political undertones and messaging, but musically, not at all.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #205 on: September 14, 2022, 05:52:40 PM »
Very interested to see how they sound.  One of my favorite live bands of the 2010s.  They were just magnificent.  Brian Fallon has been through a lot and put on a lot of weight last I saw, which isn't necessarily a voice killer, but should be interesting to see.

They sounded great, playing with a ton of energy and intensity. They're really changing up their playlists, too and going through all their albums. 22 songs, the entire set went 2 hours last night. Fallon is definitely bigger, and his voice isn't as raspy as in the past. I could have done without the banter, though, he was just rambling about random stuff at various parts of the show (is it ok to wear The Smiths or Morrisey shirts, have you seen Cobra Kai Season Five yet, lots about Jersey), which in total took up about 15 minutes total.

That said, go see them on this tour if you can.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #206 on: October 05, 2022, 03:50:09 PM »
I'm seeing Gaslight Anthem next month on their reunion tour.

I just saw The Killers for the first time live. Damn, Flowers is one hell of a frontman and performer. Great balance between the spectacle with lights, confetti, etc., and the music. One of the best live shows I've ever seen.

Saw Gaslight Anthem last Monday Thought they were alright, Brian's voice isn't suited for some songs anymore. Probably why his last solo albums have been slow and meh.

Also saw airborne toxic event since I stopped posting consistently. That was a great show. Other recent shouts include Parquet Courts & Fontainnes D.C.
Maigh Eo for Sam

tower912

• All American
« Reply #207 on: October 05, 2022, 04:01:22 PM »
Saw Gaslight Anthem last Monday Thought they were alright, Brian's voice isn't suited for some songs anymore. Probably why his last solo albums have been slow and meh.

Also saw airborne toxic event since I stopped posting consistently. That was a great show. Other recent shouts include Parquet Courts & Fontainnes D.C.
Post more.

Sometime around midnight was a criminally underplayed song.   By airborne toxic event.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #208 on: October 28, 2022, 11:44:08 AM »
New Taylor Swift music...

So its interesting.  I'm no big fan of T Swift since she turned into a pop artist.  I think her fans are insane lunatics and she's in that Beyonce realm of her legions treat everything she creates as OMGGGZZZ THIS IS INSANE.  BEST ALBUM EVER, I DIEEEE

That being said, Jack Antonoff (formerly of Steel Train, formerly of Fun, frontman of Bleachers) is one of my absolute favorite voices in music and he's a production POWERHOUSE.  And he's been heavily involved in a lot of her work lately.  This album feels like it goes a step farther.  Like you could take swap them, tweak a lyric or two, and it could be new Bleachers music.  Some of it is fantastic, some of it is ok, but its very funny to look at how its perceived.  Many pop artists are just fronts for producers melodies and lyrics, but she's always been viewed as a singer/songwriter.  Lyrically she's still influencing I'm sure, but this doesn't feel like she had much hand in melody creation at all.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #209 on: October 30, 2022, 05:29:36 PM »

PorkysButthole

• Starter
« Reply #210 on: October 31, 2022, 10:20:25 PM »
RIP DH Peligro, drummer of the Dead Kennedys.

https://pitchfork.com/news/d-h-peligro-dead-kennedys-drummer-dies-at-63/

Porky in mourning.  The DK's influenced Porky's straight edge hardcore years tremendously in the mid eighties.  They are without question the most influential American Hardcore band to ever grace the squalid stages of that era.   

https://greenroom-radio.com/2016/03/14/top-10-bands-of-american-hardcore/#:~:text=DEAD%20KENNEDYS%20was%20by%20far,level)%20as%20they%20were%20influential.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybw_ffqDfHY

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #211 on: November 01, 2022, 01:50:33 AM »
Porky in mourning.  The DK's influenced Porky's straight edge hardcore years tremendously in the mid eighties.  They are without question the most influential American Hardcore band to ever grace the squalid stages of that era.   

https://greenroom-radio.com/2016/03/14/top-10-bands-of-american-hardcore/#:~:text=DEAD%20KENNEDYS%20was%20by%20far,level)%20as%20they%20were%20influential.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybw_ffqDfHY

I’d argue that title would go to Black Flag or Minor Threat.  But DKs were monstrous, undeniable forces of nature.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #212 on: November 01, 2022, 07:21:27 AM »
RIP Takeoff
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #213 on: November 01, 2022, 11:24:26 AM »
I’d argue that title would go to Black Flag or Minor Threat.  But DKs were monstrous, undeniable forces of nature.

Yeah black flag had a massive impact on Metallica which essentially means that they directly influenced the invention of thrash and consequential metal offshoots.

I'd argue minor threat isn't even as big of a lasting influence as say bad brains which one could argue is a huge reason Ska-Punk eventually became a thing. Now Fugazi on the other hand had a lasting influence across grunge, indie, etc.

DK is overrated. IMO, they have a million albums and 90% of their songs are interchangeable and the lyrics are lost on the airheads who heard Holiday in Cambodia or California Uber Alles on Guitar Hero. It's sort of like bad religion, melodic punk was already a thing by the time they stopped being hardcore, the lyrics are lost on people and the majority of songs are interchangeable.

Honestly most the hardcore movement really only influenced subsequent offshoots of punk and the bigger offshoots were only minimally influenced compared to the 70s stuff, not really music as a whole.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2022, 11:31:03 AM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #214 on: November 01, 2022, 11:38:08 AM »
I am not sure about who was more influential musically, but DK most definitely was the larger cultural influence. They were right in the sights of the pearl clutchers worried about song lyrics, culminating in Jello's obscenity trial of course. Growing up in the early to mid 80s, you wore their t-shirts when you wanted to piss everyone off.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #215 on: November 01, 2022, 12:19:39 PM »
you wore their t-shirts when you wanted to piss everyone off.
Now you wear this:

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #216 on: November 01, 2022, 12:42:16 PM »
I am not sure about who was more influential musically, but DK most definitely was the larger cultural influence. They were right in the sights of the pearl clutchers worried about song lyrics, culminating in Jello's obscenity trial of course. Growing up in the early to mid 80s, you wore their t-shirts when you wanted to piss everyone off.

Young Sultan, the badass of South Wayne, WI.  Fridays on CBS.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #217 on: November 01, 2022, 12:57:23 PM »
DK is overrated. IMO, they have a million albums and 90% of their songs are interchangeable and the lyrics are lost on the airheads who heard Holiday in Cambodia or California Uber Alles on Guitar Hero. It's sort of like bad religion, melodic punk was already a thing by the time they stopped being hardcore, the lyrics are lost on people and the majority of songs are interchangeable. .

Huh.
I'd argue quite the opposite. The DK were a much better and much more musically varied band than Black Flag, whose notoriety was built more on the Henry Rollins cult of personality than their best music, the great majority of which came with Keith Morris on the mic.
A million albums? The Kennedys released a grand total of four studio albums.
"Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables" remains the best hardcore album ever released.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #218 on: November 01, 2022, 01:35:56 PM »
Huh.
I'd argue quite the opposite. The DK were a much better and much more musically varied band than Black Flag, whose notoriety was built more on the Henry Rollins cult of personality than their best music, the great majority of which came with Keith Morris on the mic.
A million albums? The Kennedys released a grand total of four studio albums.
"Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables" remains the best hardcore album ever released.

Is it only four? That means I have every single one of CD. Weird thought I had only a partial collection must have my bands crossed. Edit: turns out I do only have a partial CD collection Bedtime, plastic surgery and give me convenience. Fresh fruit I have on vinyl. 

It depends on your defining as "influence" I'd say many many offshoots of current music would say Black flag directly influences them than DK. Now in terms of which was most important in the American Hardcore Punk scene Id agree DK was better and more influential.

Wait wait you're saying the best hardcore album ever? Not best from the early 80s scene not best hardcore punk but overall best hardcore?  :o :-X
« Last Edit: November 01, 2022, 01:48:26 PM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #219 on: November 01, 2022, 01:52:35 PM »
Wait wait you're saying the best hardcore album ever? Not best from the early 80s scene not best hardcore punk but overall best hardcore?  :o :-X

I mean, yeah. Maybe we have different definitions of hardcore. I certainly have punk albums I like better, but I wouldn't categorize them as hardcore.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #220 on: November 01, 2022, 01:56:54 PM »
I mean, yeah. Maybe we have different definitions of hardcore. I certainly have punk albums I like better, but I wouldn't categorize them as hardcore.

From American hardcore punk of that era: Black Flag Damaged, Bad Brains (S/T), and 7 Seconds The Crew before fresh fruit.

Expand it to international and The Exploited Punks not Dead, and DOA's Hardcore 81' also above it IMO
« Last Edit: November 01, 2022, 02:02:37 PM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

PorkysButthole

• Starter
« Reply #221 on: November 01, 2022, 04:14:10 PM »

Porky concurs

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #222 on: December 22, 2022, 09:33:53 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_nc1IVoMxc

Be patient, it is worth it, imo.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #223 on: May 23, 2023, 12:49:39 PM »
Playing in the youth baseball game I umpired last night, there was a 10-year-old kid whose first name was Vedder.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #224 on: August 11, 2023, 11:04:13 AM »
Anybody see Springsteen before? I'm going tonight and pumped, heard he's a fantastic show.
Maigh Eo for Sam