collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Music Thread  (Read 37376 times)

21Jumpstreet

• All American
Re: Music Thread
« Reply #250 on: October 12, 2023, 10:30:14 AM »
My daughter recently introduced me to Noah Kahan's music. He's fantastic.

Ended up getting off the waitlist for Olivia Rodrigo and scored four for my teenage son. And, got six Noah Kahan for Alpine, can’t wait. We saw him open for The Strumbellas many moons ago, and his meteoric rise is incredible. He’s such a good songwriter. Someone recently shared a video of Olivia Rodrigo covering one of his songs, so good.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #251 on: October 12, 2023, 10:31:11 AM »
My wife surprised me last night with an early birthday present -- tickets to the Eagles concert next week. As an added bonus (for me, at least) Steve Miller is the opening act (a late sub for Steely Dan whose lead singer had a health situation). My wife isn't really a fan of the Eagles (or concerts in general), so she's sending me with one of my daughters who is a big fan of both. I've always wanted to see them live...supposedly this is the last tour. I'm really excited for this show. Eagles tickets tend to be pretty pricey, so I wouldn't have treated myself to this concert.

Since Tom Petty died, I've tried to see some of the bands that I've "always wanted to see." I really wish I had seen him play live. What concerts were (or are) on your concert bucket list?

You won’t be disappointed, have seen them many times and it’s always really good. Man, I miss Tom Petty, saw many a legendary show of his.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #252 on: October 12, 2023, 11:00:49 AM »
I’m a bit older than you (HS class if 2003) but I saw him at Summerfest around the same age, it wasn’t transcendent but it was very good and fun.   I’ve always enjoyed his music but I think the style of music tempers the spectacle a bit.

Meanwhile, the Eagles I respect their place in music and their longevity but I don’t think there is a “great” legendary American band I have less interest in than the Eagles.  I don’t think there is a single Eagles song I love.  Which isn’t true for a lot of bands people adore that I can’t get into as much.

I've seen the Eagles and we are in agreement.  Some people love them so much, but I just don't get it.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #253 on: October 12, 2023, 11:02:13 AM »
Ended up getting off the waitlist for Olivia Rodrigo and scored four for my teenage son. And, got six Noah Kahan for Alpine, can’t wait. We saw him open for The Strumbellas many moons ago, and his meteoric rise is incredible. He’s such a good songwriter. Someone recently shared a video of Olivia Rodrigo covering one of his songs, so good.

Olivia Rodrigo is proving to be interesting as an artist.  Easy to dismiss early on as another dime a dozen Disney pop convert, but she’s shown some depth in the last 2 years, and even more encouraging, shown a lot of musical curiosity and diverse musical interest/inspiration.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #254 on: October 12, 2023, 11:26:25 AM »
Olivia Rodrigo is proving to be interesting as an artist.  Easy to dismiss early on as another dime a dozen Disney pop convert, but she’s shown some depth in the last 2 years, and even more encouraging, shown a lot of musical curiosity and diverse musical interest/inspiration.

Completely agree. Her second album “Guts” is outstanding (“Sour” is too, to be clear), a big feat for most artists and their sophomore releases. I think she is a creative lyricist. I read an article why Gen Xers (of which I am one) like her. Kinda gave me some perspective I hadn’t realized might have led me to liking her music.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #255 on: October 12, 2023, 11:54:19 AM »
Completely agree. Her second album “Guts” is outstanding (“Sour” is too, to be clear), a big feat for most artists and their sophomore releases. I think she is a creative lyricist. I read an article why Gen Xers (of which I am one) like her. Kinda gave me some perspective I hadn’t realized might have led me to liking her music.

She's on the cover of the current Rolling Stone.  I haven't gotten to the article yet and will probably read now.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #256 on: October 12, 2023, 12:47:21 PM »
I've seen the Eagles and we are in agreement.  Some people love them so much, but I just don't get it.

Truth be told, I'm not among the biggest Eagles fans you'll meet. I definitely like them, grew up listening to them, and like a lot of their songs (and will probably be able to sing along with most of the set list)...but I'm not even close to a die hard Eagles fan. That's probably why I've never seen them live and wouldn't have bought these tickets for myself. Same is true for Petty, actually. But it's just one of those concerts that I've always wanted to see. Maybe that doesn't make sense. I felt the same way quite a few years ago when I got a chance to see Plant and Page. And U2 just a few years ago -- although I was a bigger U2 fan than any of those others.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #257 on: October 12, 2023, 05:27:53 PM »
Meanwhile, the Eagles I respect their place in music and their longevity but I don’t think there is a “great” legendary American band I have less interest in than the Eagles.  I don’t think there is a single Eagles song I love.  Which isn’t true for a lot of bands people adore that I can’t get into as much.

JWags:

TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #258 on: October 15, 2023, 09:22:03 AM »
Going to see the Violent Femmes tonight in New Haven.
40th Anniversary tour of their debut album.  They are playing the entire album.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2023, 12:14:28 PM by MU Fan in Connecticut »

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #259 on: October 18, 2023, 08:33:31 AM »
You won’t be disappointed...

Yeah...this is an understatement. They were fantastic and sounded great. They are still very, very tight and great live.

It's nice going to a concert where there is as much focus on the vocals as there is on the guitars -- the mix was excellent. I get frustrated at concerts where they boost the guitars so much that you can't hear the vocals. This was perfect. As good as Steve Miller Band sounded, this was a bit of a problem in his show...a lot of the vocals were pretty low (although maybe this was by design...lol).

Honestly, the most intriguing thing about The Eagles show for me was, "who is this other guitarist?!" As I mentioned in another post, I'm not a die hard Eagles fan. I know them well enough to know that in the more recent years they were primarily Glenn Frey, Don Henley, Joe Walsh, and "that other guy" (bassist Timothy Schmit). I also knew going into this concert that Vince Gill and Frey's son Deacon are now in the band. But throughout the show I kept wondering who the hell that second lead guitarist was.  He's on stage left and shares lead guitar duties with Walsh. Walsh's sound/style is unmistakable, but the other guy is also an outstanding lead guitarist. And they clearly know it and they absolutely allow him to share the spotlight with Walsh -- he gets almost as much time on the screens as Walsh and probably more than anyone else other than Walsh. But, at the end of the show, when the main five are taking their bows, he's nowhere to be found; already off stage with the drummers and keyboardists. Turns out his name is Steuart Smith and he's been touring with them since 2001. Despite carrying much of the guitar load in a famously guitar-centric band, he's largely anonymous to the casual fan. He's apparently famously "not a Member" of the Eagles" even though he's been touring with them consistently much longer than Gill or Frey (and honestly carries more of the guitar load than either -- no slight at all to those two as they were fantastic). I'm sure die hard fans know all about Smith...but he was a revelation to me.

Anyway, it was an outstanding show. I'd recommend it highly.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2023, 07:24:07 AM by StillAWarrior »

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #260 on: October 20, 2023, 06:50:17 AM »
SAW—glad you enjoyed it, I thought you might. They’ve always put on a great show when I’ve seen them.

Side note, checked out a show at the iconic Rave on Wednesday, specifically in the basement, had been awhile since I’ve seen a show in that specific area. Saw The Happy Fits, and, man, they smashed it. Great band with the lead singer/leader as a cellist virtuoso. I see a lot of live music, this show absolutely rates, so damn good.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #261 on: October 20, 2023, 08:07:56 PM »
Truth be told, I'm not among the biggest Eagles fans you'll meet. I definitely like them, grew up listening to them, and like a lot of their songs (and will probably be able to sing along with most of the set list)...but I'm not even close to a die hard Eagles fan. That's probably why I've never seen them live and wouldn't have bought these tickets for myself. Same is true for Petty, actually. But it's just one of those concerts that I've always wanted to see. Maybe that doesn't make sense. I felt the same way quite a few years ago when I got a chance to see Plant and Page. And U2 just a few years ago -- although I was a bigger U2 fan than any of those others.

Warrior
Agree with you on the Eagles - not a big fan. Disagree on Petty. First saw him and the Heartbreakers as the opening act for Bob Dylan 35+ years ago. They stole the show.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #262 on: October 22, 2023, 03:14:49 AM »
Saw the Mary Wallopers tonight. I love their albums but after years of shows in more genres I can count there's very few that have been on that level of energy live. Caveat it's Irish trad music
Maigh Eo for Sam

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #263 on: December 06, 2023, 10:11:57 AM »
How's everyone's Spotify wrapped looking? Any surprises?
Maigh Eo for Sam

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #264 on: December 06, 2023, 12:37:26 PM »
Disagree on Petty. First saw him and the Heartbreakers as the opening act for Bob Dylan 35+ years ago. They stole the show.

I just noticed this response.

That is precisely the reason I always wanted to see them live. Even though I didn't listen to them a lot aside from what I'd hear on radio and elsewhere -- I don't think I ever bought any albums -- I always heard that they were absolutely fantastic in concert. I never disliked them at all -- quite the contrary. They just weren't a band that I really followed.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #265 on: December 07, 2023, 07:43:15 AM »
Went to a private corporate party last night where Luke Bryan was brought in to provide the entertainment. Luke put on a 45 minute set , with all his big hits, and was an excellent live performer.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
« Reply #266 on: December 07, 2023, 07:46:19 AM »
Had to Google him.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #267 on: December 07, 2023, 12:33:28 PM »
Had to Google him.
So did I. When I was there I recognized quite a few of the songs.
            ---Al McGuire

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #268 on: December 07, 2023, 01:50:44 PM »
So did I. When I was there I recognized quite a few of the songs.

The only thing I know of him is from American Idol which we still watch. He seems like a genuinely nice guy.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #269 on: December 07, 2023, 02:58:38 PM »
The only thing I know of him is from American Idol which we still watch. He seems like a genuinely nice guy.
He was telling us that he was in his way to LA to be a judge on American Idol today
            ---Al McGuire

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #270 on: December 07, 2023, 07:22:44 PM »

He makes corny pop country and I don’t really think he’s got all that great of a voice, but he does a TON of charity and foundation work and by nearly every account I’ve heard and read, he’s a stand up guy and extremely genuine.  Can’t hate on him for that

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #271 on: December 07, 2023, 07:35:10 PM »
He makes corny pop country and I don’t really think he’s got all that great of a voice, but he does a TON of charity and foundation work and by nearly every account I’ve heard and read, he’s a stand up guy and extremely genuine.  Can’t hate on him for that

Don’t know Luke Bryan but I love a song by Zack Bryan (and Kacey Musgraves) called “I Remember Everything”.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #272 on: January 08, 2024, 08:29:54 AM »
Oscar Peterson was a fking badass.
Ive been watching some of his performances on Ytube, he's incredible. Absolutely love the guy, what a talent.  I suppose it's Jazz but he should receive more recognition among the all-time great pianists.  And he was extremely cool and likeable. 

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #273 on: January 08, 2024, 08:33:29 AM »
Oscar Peterson was a fking badass.
Ive been watching some of his performances on Ytube, he's incredible. Absolutely love the guy, what a talent.  I suppose it's Jazz but he should receive more recognition among the all-time great pianists.  And he was extremely cool and likeable.

Being considered one of the all-time greats isn’t enough?

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #274 on: January 08, 2024, 08:42:29 AM »

Being considered one of the all-time greats isn’t enough?

Jazz pianists are often overlooked.  The man was masterclass and had tremendous style and pizzazz.  Dude was a genius Jockey.  I just think he should be clicked up a notch among the all-time greats.