collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Music Thread  (Read 37366 times)

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
Re: Music Thread
« Reply #225 on: August 11, 2023, 11:51:15 AM »
Anybody see Springsteen before? I'm going tonight and pumped, heard he's a fantastic show.

I've seen him dozens of times going back to 1978. He always had incredible energy but I would guess he's slowing down a bit these days. Regardless, have fun!

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #226 on: August 11, 2023, 12:35:32 PM »
Anybody see Springsteen before? I'm going tonight and pumped, heard he's a fantastic show.

Seen him twice, 35+ years ago. Great energy, two of my favorite concerts ever attended.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #227 on: August 11, 2023, 12:45:10 PM »

A number of times. He’s very good but it’s different without the Big Man.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #228 on: August 11, 2023, 05:30:52 PM »
A number of times. He’s very good but it’s different without the Big Man.

Love the guy, but he’s a saxophone player FFS.

• All American
« Reply #229 on: August 11, 2023, 05:48:18 PM »

And?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #230 on: August 11, 2023, 09:04:18 PM »

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #231 on: August 12, 2023, 02:14:10 AM »

Not one of Lenny's more astute comments.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #232 on: August 12, 2023, 06:42:50 AM »
Not one of Lenny's more astute comments.

The standard is the standard.

• All American
« Reply #233 on: August 12, 2023, 06:46:03 AM »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #234 on: August 12, 2023, 05:01:43 PM »
I'll let Bruce know.

He already knows - he replaced him more than a decade ago - with Clarence’s nephew.

Look, Clarence was great - but Bruce made him not the other way around. He didn’t write the songs or sing ‘em. He was an excellent musician surrounded by other excellent musicians in a band where the frontman was the sine qua non. And the frontman and his mates are still going strong.

• All American
« Reply #235 on: August 12, 2023, 05:13:19 PM »
He already knows - he replaced him more than a decade ago - with Clarence’s nephew.

Look, Clarence was great - but Bruce made him not the other way around. He didn’t write the songs or sing ‘em. He was an excellent musician surrounded by other excellent musicians in a band where the frontman was the sine qua non. And the frontman and his mates are still going strong.

Nothing you said I disagree with. I simply said it was “different.” I miss him anchoring that side of the stage and the interplay between Bruce and him.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #236 on: August 12, 2023, 05:35:50 PM »
Nothing you said I disagree with. I simply said it was “different.” I miss him anchoring that side of the stage and the interplay between Bruce and him.

Fair enough.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #237 on: September 18, 2023, 01:47:04 PM »
Anyone here fans of Ghost?  I can’t believe I’ve not brought them up before here.  Have their cover of “Jesus He Knows Me” on a playlist I’ve listened to all month which reminded me.

One of the most entertaining and clever bands of the last decade.  Alice Cooper macabre theatrics with Tame Impala sole member man creative genius.  Incredible live show, fascinating front man, and pop sensibility and melodies in a heavy rock band.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #238 on: September 20, 2023, 01:23:01 PM »
Anyone here fans of Ghost?  I can’t believe I’ve not brought them up before here.  Have their cover of “Jesus He Knows Me” on a playlist I’ve listened to all month which reminded me.

One of the most entertaining and clever bands of the last decade.  Alice Cooper macabre theatrics with Tame Impala sole member man creative genius.  Incredible live show, fascinating front man, and pop sensibility and melodies in a heavy rock band.

Saw them open for SOAD a couple of years ago in Chicago.  They certainly put on a great show. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #239 on: September 20, 2023, 10:17:53 PM »
Saw them open for SOAD a couple of years ago in Chicago.  They certainly put on a great show.

Yea, and that was before they are a headliner like they are now. The stage show and theatrics are next level. 

Just an amazing creative project.  Tobias Forge, who is the creative force behind them, said he envisioned their sound as a 70s arena rock band, but made up of older musicians so they would have made their bones writing in the 60s style and sensibility.  Then you couple that with his background coming up in the heavy Swedish metal scene and it’s just really interesting stuff.  His interviews about music are beyond fascinating.

Related, I’m always amused by songwriters from seemingly dissimilar backgrounds that end up in a particular genre.  One of the best most acclaimed young songwriters in country music right now was the drummer for a number of hardcore/screamo bands before his pivot

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #240 on: September 21, 2023, 06:05:56 AM »
Yea, and that was before they are a headliner like they are now. The stage show and theatrics are next level. 

Just an amazing creative project.  Tobias Forge, who is the creative force behind them, said he envisioned their sound as a 70s arena rock band, but made up of older musicians so they would have made their bones writing in the 60s style and sensibility.  Then you couple that with his background coming up in the heavy Swedish metal scene and it’s just really interesting stuff.  His interviews about music are beyond fascinating.

Related, I’m always amused by songwriters from seemingly dissimilar backgrounds that end up in a particular genre.  One of the best most acclaimed young songwriters in country music right now was the drummer for a number of hardcore/screamo bands before his pivot

They had a full stage show set up with theatrics and everything.  It was at the Chicago Fire's stadium.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #241 on: September 21, 2023, 06:42:31 AM »
Missed out on Olivia Rodrigo presale, waitlisted. Hoping my Noah Kahan comes through. I saw him open for The Strumbellas many moons ago, big fan.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #242 on: October 11, 2023, 03:07:11 PM »
I've been listening to Teddy Swims and Tash Sultana a lot recently. Teddy has a good voice and his original stuff is pretty good, although not groundbreaking.

I've never really heard anyone like Tash Sultana. The talent level is incredible.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #243 on: October 11, 2023, 03:18:21 PM »
Phish is playing the United Center for the first time this weekend. Weather looks sh!tty but I’m sure the shows are gonna rock. Looking forward to going Friday and Saturday
Bring back FFP!!!

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #244 on: October 11, 2023, 03:39:32 PM »
Saw Grace Potter last week at the Pabst (one of my favorite live voices at one of my favorite venues), seeing Margo Cilker tomorrow at The Back Room (saw her open a show last year and wanted my wife to hear her, gonna miss TBR, have seen some incredible La shows there over the years), and seeing Happy Fits next week at the mighty Rave (one of my favorite bands right now at one of the most iconic MKE music venues). Good couple weeks to be sure.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #245 on: October 12, 2023, 08:18:27 AM »
My wife surprised me last night with an early birthday present -- tickets to the Eagles concert next week. As an added bonus (for me, at least) Steve Miller is the opening act (a late sub for Steely Dan whose lead singer had a health situation). My wife isn't really a fan of the Eagles (or concerts in general), so she's sending me with one of my daughters who is a big fan of both. I've always wanted to see them live...supposedly this is the last tour. I'm really excited for this show. Eagles tickets tend to be pretty pricey, so I wouldn't have treated myself to this concert.

Since Tom Petty died, I've tried to see some of the bands that I've "always wanted to see." I really wish I had seen him play live. What concerts were (or are) on your concert bucket list?
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #246 on: October 12, 2023, 08:20:42 AM »
Missed out on Olivia Rodrigo presale, waitlisted. Hoping my Noah Kahan comes through. I saw him open for The Strumbellas many moons ago, big fan.

My daughter recently introduced me to Noah Kahan's music. He's fantastic.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #247 on: October 12, 2023, 08:44:48 AM »
My daughter recently introduced me to Noah Kahan's music. He's fantastic.

My younger daughter attends the University of Vermont and he is extremely popular on campus as he's from a town nearby to Burlington.  She is fan and her and a few friends are going to Montreal later this month to see him in concert.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #248 on: October 12, 2023, 09:34:10 AM »
My wife surprised me last night with an early birthday present -- tickets to the Eagles concert next week. As an added bonus (for me, at least) Steve Miller is the opening act (a late sub for Steely Dan whose lead singer had a health situation). My wife isn't really a fan of the Eagles (or concerts in general), so she's sending me with one of my daughters who is a big fan of both. I've always wanted to see them live...supposedly this is the last tour. I'm really excited for this show. Eagles tickets tend to be pretty pricey, so I wouldn't have treated myself to this concert.

Since Tom Petty died, I've tried to see some of the bands that I've "always wanted to see." I really wish I had seen him play live. What concerts were (or are) on your concert bucket list?

I’ve seen them twice since Glenn Frey died and Vince Gill “replaced” him. It’s an awesome concert. They’re still very good. Harmonies are on point and Joe Walsh still rips

Enjoy

Also, I agree on Tom Petty, really bummed I never saw him. When I was in high school (probably 2004/2005) he came to Pine Knob and my parents were going and got me 2 tickets for myself and a friend. I declined last minute because I wanted to throw a party while they were at the show. Big time regret. Looking back, a high school party was a dime a dozen and now I’ll never get to see Petty
« Last Edit: October 12, 2023, 09:40:42 AM by swoopem »
Bring back FFP!!!

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #249 on: October 12, 2023, 10:16:40 AM »
I’ve seen them twice since Glenn Frey died and Vince Gill “replaced” him. It’s an awesome concert. They’re still very good. Harmonies are on point and Joe Walsh still rips

Enjoy

Also, I agree on Tom Petty, really bummed I never saw him. When I was in high school (probably 2004/2005) he came to Pine Knob and my parents were going and got me 2 tickets for myself and a friend. I declined last minute because I wanted to throw a party while they were at the show. Big time regret. Looking back, a high school party was a dime a dozen and now I’ll never get to see Petty

I’m a bit older than you (HS class if 2003) but I saw him at Summerfest around the same age, it wasn’t transcendent but it was very good and fun.   I’ve always enjoyed his music but I think the style of music tempers the spectacle a bit.

Meanwhile, the Eagles I respect their place in music and their longevity but I don’t think there is a “great” legendary American band I have less interest in than the Eagles.  I don’t think there is a single Eagles song I love.  Which isn’t true for a lot of bands people adore that I can’t get into as much.

feedback