collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Music Thread  (Read 36398 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Music Thread
« Reply #175 on: August 26, 2022, 11:29:29 PM »
Jethro Tull?  I think think Dire Straits said it best in Sultans of Swing:

"They don't give a damn about any FLUTE playing band
It ain't what they call Rock and Roll"!

Really don’t mind if you sit this one out.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #176 on: August 27, 2022, 05:10:28 AM »
Really don’t mind if you sit this one out.

Lol. Exactly. People like what they like. And that’s ok.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #177 on: August 29, 2022, 08:55:09 AM »
Jethro Tull?  I think think Dire Straits said it best in Sultans of Swing:

"They don't give a damn about any FLUTE playing band
It ain't what they call Rock and Roll"!

uh, actually:
They don't give a damn about any trumpet playin' band
It ain't what they call Rock and Roll

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #178 on: August 29, 2022, 09:26:18 AM »
uh, actually:

I was gonna say, I recall Knopfler was always pretty complimentary of Jethro Tull, especially Anderson and Barre

tower912

• All American
« Reply #179 on: August 29, 2022, 09:28:43 AM »
I am going to speculate he was goofing around and knew exactly what he was doing with his disdain of flute playing bands.    Assume it was misquoting for humorous purpose.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #180 on: August 29, 2022, 01:53:28 PM »
I am going to speculate he was goofing around and knew exactly what he was doing with his disdain of flute playing bands.    Assume it was misquoting for humorous purpose.

Last flute mention.

The Marshal Tucker Band utilized the flute in the beginning and end of the song "Can't You See".  A beautiful song written and sung by MTB member Toy Caldwell, the lead guitarist.  Interesting back story on Toy, he enlisted in Marines, sent to Vietnam in late 1960's, wounded and came back to U.S. and started the band with high school friends. Both his brothers, one a band member, were both killed in car accidents, like weeks apart in early 1980's I recall.

1973 song, jeez getting old...

MU1in77

• Walk-On
« Reply #181 on: August 29, 2022, 02:28:56 PM »
You are correct - never was a big fan of Jethro Tull. There were so many other great bands in the late 60's and 70's that I thought were much better.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #182 on: August 29, 2022, 02:33:14 PM »
uh, actually:

Early Chicago was pretty damn good.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #183 on: August 29, 2022, 02:38:39 PM »
Heard there are a number of flute players here on scoop aina
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #184 on: August 29, 2022, 02:47:43 PM »

Does that bother you?
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

tower912

• All American
« Reply #185 on: August 29, 2022, 02:53:43 PM »
....when all you need is a piccolo player.......
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 03:08:51 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #186 on: August 29, 2022, 02:57:38 PM »
Last flute mention.

The Marshal Tucker Band utilized the flute in the beginning and end of the song "Can't You See".  A beautiful song written and sung by MTB member Toy Caldwell, the lead guitarist.  Interesting back story on Toy, he enlisted in Marines, sent to Vietnam in late 1960's, wounded and came back to U.S. and started the band with high school friends. Both his brothers, one a band member, were both killed in car accidents, like weeks apart in early 1980's I recall.

and recorded live at the PAC in 1974 and released on Searchin' For a Rainbow

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #187 on: August 29, 2022, 04:32:29 PM »
Last flute mention.

Just personal preference but other than “Aqualung” I wasn’t a big Jethro Tull fan.

OTOH, I loved the Marshall Tucker Band. “Heard it in a Love Song” is my favorite among many really good songs.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #188 on: August 29, 2022, 04:56:03 PM »
Just saw Brian do an acoustic set in Dublin a few months back and honestly it might've been a better show than seeing gaslight anthem.

I'm seeing Gaslight Anthem next month on their reunion tour.

I just saw The Killers for the first time live. Damn, Flowers is one hell of a frontman and performer. Great balance between the spectacle with lights, confetti, etc., and the music. One of the best live shows I've ever seen.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #189 on: August 29, 2022, 05:52:47 PM »
I'm seeing Gaslight Anthem next month on their reunion tour.

Very interested to see how they sound.  One of my favorite live bands of the 2010s.  They were just magnificent.  Brian Fallon has been through a lot and put on a lot of weight last I saw, which isn't necessarily a voice killer, but should be interesting to see.

I just saw The Killers for the first time live. Damn, Flowers is one hell of a frontman and performer. Great balance between the spectacle with lights, confetti, etc., and the music. One of the best live shows I've ever seen.

They are so awesome.  Its incredible how smoothly they transitioned into an arena band.  My good friend worked on a branding project with their drummer a few years ago and I spent a couple hours with him out in Chicago.  I remember him saying something like "we design all our tours that if something went wrong, we could play the show in a 500 seat theater and still crush it".  I think that translates to how their show works.  Its still all based in sounding tight and being great performers, with or without the spectacle.  Ive seen them in venues from a few hundred all the way to thousands and never been remotely disappointed.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #190 on: August 29, 2022, 07:38:31 PM »
Very interested to see how they sound.  One of my favorite live bands of the 2010s.  They were just magnificent.  Brian Fallon has been through a lot and put on a lot of weight last I saw, which isn't necessarily a voice killer, but should be interesting to see.

I noticed how much bigger he looked in promotional photos than he did before they went on hiatus. The Europe shows have sounded really good though.

[/quote] They are so awesome.  Its incredible how smoothly they transitioned into an arena band.  My good friend worked on a branding project with their drummer a few years ago and I spent a couple hours with him out in Chicago.  I remember him saying something like "we design all our tours that if something went wrong, we could play the show in a 500 seat theater and still crush it".  I think that translates to how their show works.  Its still all based in sounding tight and being great performers, with or without the spectacle.  Ive seen them in venues from a few hundred all the way to thousands and never been remotely disappointed.
[/quote]

I've been to shows where the music was secondary to the spectacle (U2 360) and this was so well done. My wife and I are considering flying back for their Detroit show and taking my nephew since he's a drummer and their drummer is awesome! I kept asking my wife "how have we not seen these guys live before now?" The opener was Johnny Marr, late of the Smiths and Modest Mouse. Damn, he was good too.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #191 on: August 29, 2022, 08:31:04 PM »
Ty nyg.  Do we know why they are NOT in the Rock and Roll HOF?  I'm absolutely floored by Heavy Horses.  I've now listened to it 10 times since last night.
Need to get "Songs from the Wood" if you haven't listened to that one yet.
Heard that many of the songs or lyrics on Aqualung was actually written by Ian Anderson's wife.  Although probably largest in sales, Aqualung is pretty far down on my list of best Jethro Tull albums.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #192 on: August 29, 2022, 08:50:18 PM »
Flutist and Rock-n-Roll
Traffic - Chris Wood
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeW-vxQaPVE
Moody Blues - Ray Thomas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDIkhfep2l4

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #193 on: August 30, 2022, 09:54:04 AM »
Flutist and Rock-n-Roll
Traffic - Chris Wood
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeW-vxQaPVE
Moody Blues - Ray Thomas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDIkhfep2l4

Speaking of Traffic, who is the most underrated musician of the 60s/70s and why is it Steve Winwood?

Multiple 10 singles with 2 different bands before the age of 20, a platinum album with Blind Faith, then 8 top 10 singles and 4 top 10 albums as a solo artist...all before he was 40.  What an absolute animal.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #194 on: August 30, 2022, 10:41:12 AM »
Speaking of Traffic, who is the most underrated musician of the 60s/70s and why is it Steve Winwood?

Multiple 10 singles with 2 different bands before the age of 20, a platinum album with Blind Faith, then 8 top 10 singles and 4 top 10 albums as a solo artist...all before he was 40.  What an absolute animal.

Agreed.  He has always been great live as well.   Tremendous talent.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 10:42:44 AM by MuggsyB »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #195 on: August 30, 2022, 10:46:20 AM »

100%. Traffic/Windwood are killer.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #196 on: August 30, 2022, 10:54:06 AM »
Don't forget his work with the Spencer Davis Group as a teenager.

I think a lot of the reason he gets overlooked is because he took a good portion of the 1970s off from making new music. After Traffic broke up, he didn't do much until his 1977 solo album - which flopped. He then released Arc of a Diver in 1980, which was the start of his rise as a solo artist.

He's also a pretty unassuming guy versus the typical front man.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 11:00:02 AM by Sultan Sultanberger »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #197 on: August 30, 2022, 12:10:44 PM »
Arc of a diver, Stevie Winwood played all the instruments.
I guess after being a master of keyboard and guitar the rest would be breezy easy.
Pandora just started "Dear Mr. Fantasy".
eerie.
When feeling down just need to hear some Medicated Goo to feel better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRkG8TRpy1M
« Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 12:28:12 PM by NCMUFan »

MU1in77

• Walk-On
« Reply #198 on: August 30, 2022, 07:30:51 PM »
I've seen Winwood live 5 times - the last time was 5-6 years ago when he opened for Steely Dan at the BMO Harris Pavilion.  I took my son and after every song told him it would be the best song he was going to hear that night. He even performed a shortened version of Low Spark and finished up with Gimme Some Lovin.  He sounded like he did in the 80's.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #199 on: August 31, 2022, 11:24:49 AM »

+1  I've seen them twice, and both shows were amazing.