[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[May 01, 2024, 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Year 2 (Archie), Year 5 Wojo  (Read 30398 times)

TedBaxter

• All American
Re: Year 2 (Archie), Year 5 Wojo
« Reply #125 on: November 17, 2018, 10:59:42 AM »
I am not sure these are fair comparisons. Some of these programs do not have the inherent advantages (fan base,  facilities, budget, etc,) that Marquette has. If you compare similar programs Wojo has been at best below average thus far.

Hoping it turns around fast but I must admit my patience will be gone by end of season.

This is where I'm at.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #126 on: November 17, 2018, 11:20:33 AM »
I can't speak for others, but in my evaluation, we have enough evidence to say that Wojo is a "C-level" coach. I believe this because based on the roster assembled at the start of each season, the team has pretty much performed to expectation. I could hear an argument for a slight underachievement in year two and an argument for a slight overachievment in year three. He doesn't make a team better than the sum of its parts and he doesn't make the team worse than the sum of its parts.

Now this can be okay as long as you are bringing in quality rosters. A C coach with an A+ roster is going to have a pretty good season. I'd argue Sean Miller has been doing that for years at Arizona (setting aside the alleged scandals).

Now this doesn't mean a coach will stay at the same level forever. Coaches develop and they can regress. This is the best roster Wojo has assembled to date. If he performs to expectations (top 30ish type team) his seat will be cool and stay cool until he either regresses or stops bringing in talented rosters (2020 class will be key). If he regresses the seat will start to warm pretty quickly. If he develops than who cares? We'll be too busy celebrating.
I think your assessment of Wojo is accurate.

When I look back at some of the programs I followed historically, Michigan State under Jim Heathcoate comes to mind. Heathcoate was not a good recruiter but he had a very good reputation for improving the players he got and being a very solid game coach. So he was more of an A coach with C rosters .  His performance was very up and down though because of recruiting. However given that he was at a school like Michigan State there was always the potential for a 4 star recruit to show up on his door step through in state loyalty and when he got one he made the most of it. Coach Izzo came in and was able to establish a more solid and consistent recruiting and built off the player development and coaching tradition that Heathcoate had and took that program to a much higher level.

My sense is we are going to see Wojo and staff to migrate the program toward recruiting more pogo stick ,quick athletic and strong neck types.  When you look at these mid level Power 5 football type schools they tend to have 5 or 6 players of that type on the roster . Right now we only have a couple. We are getting by with superior shooting but I think that only goes so far.  I think we will see more kids like Dexter coming on board. A kid with an A/ A- level of athleticism who can be coached up.  MU can be attractive to those kind of kids. Buzz understood that and that is why I think he was able to have the kind of success at MU that he had.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 08:34:04 PM by Herman Cain »
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #127 on: November 17, 2018, 11:47:20 AM »
I am not sure these are fair comparisons. Some of these programs do not have the inherent advantages (fan base,  facilities, budget, etc,) that Marquette has. If you compare similar programs Wojo has been at best below average thus far.

Hoping it turns around fast but I must admit my patience will be gone by end of season.
100%. Having our program as a middle of the road team doesn’t make him middle of the road, it makes him below average which is a very fair assessment of his coaching
No Finish Line

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #128 on: November 17, 2018, 12:14:41 PM »
100%. Having our program as a middle of the road team doesn’t make him middle of the road, it makes him below average which is a very fair assessment of his coaching

You must think that Willard, McDermit, and Ewing are absolute trash then, because Wojo has beaten them 8 times in a row.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #129 on: November 17, 2018, 01:31:20 PM »
You must think that Willard, McDermit, and Ewing are absolute trash then, because Wojo has beaten them 8 times in a row.
I couldn’t care less about the 3 of them or their programs. And that certainly doesn’t change my assessment of Wojo being a below average coach
No Finish Line

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #130 on: November 17, 2018, 02:23:22 PM »
I couldn’t care less about the 3 of them or their programs. And that certainly doesn’t change my assessment of Wojo being a below average coach
Well lets do the math.  If Wojo is better than Willard, Ewing, and McDermott, which head to head is clearly in favor of Wojo.  Whoever is at DePaul is automatically last.  Wojo has split with Mullin, but is better IMO, due to overall record as well as (limited), but better postseason success.  Wojo is worse than Wright and Cooley, and Jordan and Steele are question marks.  Even if Jordan and Steele end up ahead of Wojo, that would put Wojo in the top half of the conference, which by definition is above average.  Unless you want to argue that the conference as a whole is below average, which is another losing fight IMO.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #131 on: November 17, 2018, 06:51:50 PM »
I think your assessment of Wojo is accurate.

When I look back at some of the programs I followed historically, Michigan State under Jim Heathcoate comes to mind. Heathcoate was not a good recruiter but he had a very good reputation for improving the players he got and being a very solid game coach. So he was more of an A coach with C rosters .  His performance was very up and down though because of recruiting. However given that he was at a school like Michigan State there was always the potential for a 4 star recruit to show up on his door step through in state loyalty and when he got one he made the most of it. Coach Izzo came in and was able to establish a more solid and consistent recruiting and built off the player development and coaching tradition that Heathcoate had and took that program to a much higher level.

My sense is we are going to see Wojo and staff to migrate the program toward recruiting more pogo stick and quick athletic types.  When you look at these mid level Power 5 football type schools they tend to have 5 or 6 players of that type on the roster . Right now we only have a couple. We are getting by with superior shooting but I think that only goes so far.  I think we will see more kids like Dexter coming on board. A kid with an A/ A- level of athleticism who can be coached up.  MU can be attractive to those kind of kids. Buzz understood that and that is why I think he was able to have the kind of success at MU that he had.
Disappointed no analysis about necks
Goal is National Championship

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #132 on: November 17, 2018, 08:34:40 PM »
Disappointed no analysis about necks
Good catch. Noted and change made.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
« Reply #133 on: January 30, 2019, 07:23:28 AM »
Well...take a look at the daily post averages for TAMU, Tower, MU 82 - they are some of the most prolific posters here. Sultan, Wades and Brew also have a long-standing track record of
Active contribution here. They’ve all been largely pro-Wojo the past 4 years...

Nothing wrong with that, but, the original point made does have validity.

Bump.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #134 on: January 30, 2019, 07:28:34 AM »
Considering we've yet to win 3 consecutive Big East regular season games in the Wojo era, I'm not too worried about the above.

But, should we achieve that in the weak Big East this year, and we make a return to the Top 25, I'll be sure to give Wojo props and his due.

Did he give the props and due?
Maigh Eo for Sam

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #135 on: January 30, 2019, 07:31:16 AM »
Bump.

C'mon tower; Wojo crapped his pants in that game. Wojo has since been potty trained.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #136 on: January 30, 2019, 07:58:54 AM »
“I can't speak for others, but in my evaluation, we have enough evidence to say that Wojo is a "C-level" coach. ”

This is why heart cannot be evaluated.  My first advisor at MU told me that I wasn’t going to get into dental school and should think of some other profession....33 years later...either the guy was a lazy knob or the best motivational speaker you’ll ever find, but I immediately fired him and found a different advisor
don't...don't don't don't don't

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #137 on: January 30, 2019, 08:04:09 AM »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #138 on: January 30, 2019, 08:08:03 AM »
An epic 4 letter takedown.

And it wasn't even a naughty 4 letter word.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #139 on: January 30, 2019, 08:25:38 AM »
“I can't speak for others, but in my evaluation, we have enough evidence to say that Wojo is a "C-level" coach. ”

This is why heart cannot be evaluated.  My first advisor at MU told me that I wasn’t going to get into dental school and should think of some other profession....33 years later...either the guy was a lazy knob or the best motivational speaker you’ll ever find, but I immediately fired him and found a different advisor

Congrats on applying to dental school for 32 straight years and finally breaking through!

fjm

• All American
« Reply #140 on: January 30, 2019, 08:32:26 AM »
Holy crap. I just re read the first page of this thread. Amazing.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #141 on: January 30, 2019, 08:44:28 AM »
Holy crap. I just re read the first page of this thread. Amazing.
I was so happy not to see the little "face on the papers icon" On this thread title, meaning I hadn't posted anything in this one.  I know I've been mad after games over the last few years but I don't recall ever calling for Wojo's job.

A modern take on Twain's quote, "It's better to not post and appear stupid than to post and remove all doubt for everyone to see into eternity"

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #142 on: January 30, 2019, 08:55:00 AM »
Congrats on applying to dental school for 32 straight years and finally breaking through!

Swing and a miss bo, but I know you are just having a little fun

Love, francis 😉
don't...don't don't don't don't

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #143 on: January 30, 2019, 09:12:24 AM »
Considering we've yet to win 3 consecutive Big East regular season games in the Wojo era, I'm not too worried about the above.

But, should we achieve that in the weak Big East this year, and we make a return to the Top 25, I'll be sure to give Wojo props and his due.

So what is this Big East win streak and a Top 10 ranking good for? Some props and his due seems a little light. Being this wrong I think calls for a donation in Wojo's name to the Blue & Gold Fund!
We Are Marquette

LoudMouth

• All American
« Reply #144 on: January 30, 2019, 09:16:35 AM »
This is great stuff! They keep getting better and better. Looks like everyone who has seen enough to judge might need some correcting of their prescription numbers  ::)

MU82

• All American
« Reply #145 on: January 30, 2019, 09:17:25 AM »
Spectacular bump, tower.

What a fun read.

I especially like the certainty of those who proclaimed Wojo an absolute bust, along with the conjecture about who should replace him.

Now, it's still too early to say he's an enormous success; the story is still being written. But those who declared with such certainty that he's a bad coach who has to go ... wowie wow wow!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #146 on: January 30, 2019, 09:55:12 AM »
Bump.

The Congressional Record is a fine publication.

Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #147 on: January 30, 2019, 10:00:09 AM »
I certainly hope we don't have to regret all these bumps in a few hours after being boatraced at Butler.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #148 on: January 30, 2019, 10:04:07 AM »
Spectacular bump, tower.

What a fun read.

I especially like the certainty of those who proclaimed Wojo an absolute bust, along with the conjecture about who should replace him.

Now, it's still too early to say he's an enormous success; the story is still being written. But those who declared with such certainty that he's a bad coach who has to go ... wowie wow wow!

I've gotta find a poster who had Wojo fired in November and anointed the Duke coach in waiting 8 weeks later!

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #149 on: January 30, 2019, 10:04:48 AM »
Spectacular bump, tower.

What a fun read.

I am feeling pretty good about what I wrote in this thread. Proud to have voted against the war in Wojanistan.

Have crapped the bed on a few posts, so I will be humble going forward.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...