'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by The Lens
[Today at 05:12:28 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: U(gh, so)M(any) B(ri)C(ks) thoughts  (Read 18819 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: U(gh, so)M(any) B(ri)C(ks) thoughts
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2018, 11:43:06 PM »
14. Jamal Cain looked very good in the second half.

He is such a natural rebounder. His length and instincts on the glass are excellent.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2018, 11:43:46 PM »
Solid win. Sam and Theo did very well.  We are 1-0. Move on to the next game.

Markus will find his shot soon.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2018, 11:50:13 PM »
He is not going to say that Morrow, Theo and Joey are much better players than Matt.  But in reality thats probably the reason.

No question. Matt has moved to the end of the bench barring injuries.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2018, 11:50:56 PM »
As I watched the game, I assumed Heldt was sitting out with some kind of minor injury. Then he went in during garbage time, and I was really surprised. I have said many times that one sign we are actually ready to seriously contend for something will be if Heldt plays no more than 15 mpg. But I was surprised by darn near zero minutes for him.

The other surprise for me out of Game 1 was that Morrow was a non-entity. I'll dismiss it as "newbie jitters" or whatever. For him to get the start, he must have been doing A-OK in practice.

Most impressed with Theo, obviously, and with Markus for having a complete game despite not being able to buy a bucket. And, of course, Sam just being Sam; he gave us a scare when he went down in a heap and we were so glad that he came back in soon and immediately hit a 3.

Was also impressed with the many things Joey could do -- including bring the ball up the court a few times -- and with BB's first game.

I also liked how aggressive the defense was and I mentioned a couple of times how much I like our length compared to last season.

UMBC is not a very good team, and Bethune Cookman will be worse. Looking forward to Indiana -- hope we're really ready to battle by Game 3.

Nothing that happened in Game 1 made me less enthusiastic and optimistic. I think we're gonna have a great season.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 11:52:30 PM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2018, 12:03:56 AM »
MU shot an amazing 100% from the field on after-the-whistle shots tonight. 
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2018, 12:25:01 AM »
Wojo,talked about not playing Matt post game.

1 very little separation among the bigs
2 UMBC is a unique team in that their bigs are their best shooters.......and at times they played basically all perimeter players.
3 We will not play many teams like this and when we play teams with more traditional lineups Matt might play significant minutes.

4 " I love Matt. He will do whatever it takes for the team to win.....he was the happiest guy in the locker room"

That's the gist of it.....it was about matchups.....Matt chasing guys around the perimeter is not the best use of his talents.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2018, 12:31:10 AM »
He is such a natural rebounder. His length and instincts on the glass are excellent.

Nose for the ball like JFB, Crowder, and Zar

Pound for pound the best rebounder on the team

Mods, Delete me please. 8/26/2020

• Team Captain
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2018, 12:41:14 AM »
Charthoohny (sp) and Morrow were bad.    I said the same thing about transfers Lockett, Reinhardt and Carlino early, and to my delight they all became indispensable as the their respective seasons progressed.      Hoping to see the same.   

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2018, 01:42:51 AM »
It is early, relax.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2018, 05:44:53 AM »
morrows playing time seemed spotty.  difficult to get into rhythm.   chartouney looked to have a little bit of his winter coat going already. seemed a little more "filled out" than i remember unless they fitted him with a flak jacket or something like quarterbacks
don't...don't don't don't don't

burger

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2018, 06:40:51 AM »
The best play of the night is when the kid from UMBC drove and Theo almost broke his nose when he tried to block the shot.....Got the hard foul.....

On the TV......Bardo goes......Marquette was just playing good old fashion B.East basketball......

Very positive defensive sign moving forward......

Message sent and delivered.....

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2018, 06:52:54 AM »

Great play calling by Stan

MU82

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2018, 07:10:11 AM »
Wojo,talked about not playing Matt post game.

1 very little separation among the bigs
2 UMBC is a unique team in that their bigs are their best shooters.......and at times they played basically all perimeter players.
3 We will not play many teams like this and when we play teams with more traditional lineups Matt might play significant minutes.

4 " I love Matt. He will do whatever it takes for the team to win.....he was the happiest guy in the locker room"

That's the gist of it.....it was about matchups.....Matt chasing guys around the perimeter is not the best use of his talents.

Thanks for this. One thing Wojo has had since pretty early in his MU tenure is a good sense for how to use guys at the 5. I actually look at this as a very positive sign, that he isn't "beholden" to Matt just for being a good soldier, that he will play the guys who give us the best chance to win.

While watching this, I thought the exact same thing. Markus hit several after-the-whistle shots, and a few other guys did, too. I couldn't help but laugh when the 4th or 5th went through.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2018, 07:16:16 AM »
Man,  reading some of these posts you'd think wed won by single digits. We beat a team by 25 in a game that the oddsmakers said we should win by 17-20 when our three point shooters couldn't hit Lake Michigan from Bradford Beach. I'm not sure how this game is anything but encouraging
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2018, 07:23:27 AM »
Man,  reading some of these posts you'd think wed won by single digits. We beat a team by 25 in a game that the oddsmakers said we should win by 17-20 when our three point shooters couldn't hit Lake Michigan from Bradford Beach. I'm not sure how this game is anything but encouraging

No doubt. MU needed OT to beat a cupcake last season. Last year,
If they shot similarily,  this is a close game. I came away encouraged as well. Lowest Opponent FG% since 2004 and people are worried about Heldt’s playing time. Matt Heldt. Haha.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2018, 07:24:00 AM »

It wouldn't be Scoop if some people weren't miserable about something.

We could win the National Championship, and all the posts would be about how much we are going to suck next year in comparison and how Wojo is going to get recruited away,
Have some patience, FFS.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2018, 07:25:58 AM »

Yep.  Lots of good things last night.   I doubt MU shoots 20% from 3 many more times this year.     So.....many.....options.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 07:27:31 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2018, 07:26:20 AM »
I agree, he did not look great. I thought he would be a dominant force down low. So far he is NOT as advertised.

So far...after one game.  ::)

It's very simple.  Got in early foul trouble so he never go into a rhythm.  And John was a beast. 

Let's just be patient.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2018, 07:28:13 AM »

The biggest problem the last couple of years was the perimeter defense - and last night it was outstanding!!!

Markus isn't going to shoot that bad from deep often.  He hits a couple more of those and it's a 30 point game.  On top of that, he looked like a very competent point guard out there. 

And those young guys can play.  Joey is going to be stellar once he figures it out. 

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2018, 07:44:35 AM »
The best play of the night is when the kid from UMBC drove and Theo almost broke his nose when he tried to block the shot.....Got the hard foul.....

On the TV......Bardo goes......Marquette was just playing good old fashion B.East basketball......

Very positive defensive sign moving forward......

Message sent and delivered.....
Yes—Theo was definitely setting the tone as the intimidator. He was standing over players that he knocked down, stared at players after a block, and talking at opposing players all game. He’s defining that he is the force in the middle.

Milkshakes

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2018, 07:47:59 AM »
How many points did MU score in the paint?  I know Markus doesn’t need much separation to knock down the three but I sure would like to see the ball in the paint more to keep the other team’s defense off balance. Feels like they just have to guard the perimeter all night.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2018, 08:15:44 AM »
First of all Brother and Sister Scoopers, you do know that Marcus scored 15 last night and as bad as our shooting was, our scoring was more balanced than it has been in a long time.

Second, there were times last night when I thought Marcus was Butch Lee, the way he drove the lane. The fact that we did more than camp out on the three line last night was one of the most promising things about the game.

Third, I like the new Computing Castle/Forum. Was on the lower deck and thought the place had some of the character of the old arena. A little gimmicky at times but it’s gonna be fun, especially as we compete for a Natchamp.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2018, 08:17:12 AM »
Love what I saw from the D! Give JoeC and Morrow a handful of games to get in the groove. As someone else said, I remember wanting to pin locket and Katin to the end of the bench 4 games into the season. Boy would I have been wrong.

also wow, ners is so right! We are trash on O this year. One game in and I can already tell we are NIT bound with this Offense.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2018, 08:20:02 AM »
Nothing but positive results from last night in my book. Theo and Chartouney are gonna take some time to integrate with the team but I saw nothing last night that tells me it won't happen. In fact, at one point in the 2nd half after I think Joe took a bad look from 3, when he came out Wojo lit into him like I've never seen him to during a game....it was a real ass chewing. Ya know what, Chartouney was back in a couple of minutes later and played well.

I think Wojo gets it this year and I'm excited. Also enjoyed that we did not pick up fouls 40 feet from the basket trying to hedge aggresively on PnR defense, that was nice.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2018, 08:31:06 AM »
Great buy game.  Never concerned that we weren't going to win, but good enough to spot things to work on.  D was great, shots will start to fall.  Most impressive thing was how comfortable the Freshman looked on D.  Joey got burned once or twice, but if you didn't know that they were Freshman, you wouldn't be able to tell.