[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: U(gh, so)M(any) B(ri)C(ks) thoughts  (Read 18808 times)

StillWarriors

• All American
Re: U(gh, so)M(any) B(ri)C(ks) thoughts
« Reply #75 on: November 07, 2018, 11:54:08 AM »
Better finisher at the rim and much better defender from his freshman year. Night and day difference in both areas. Will need to see what he's developed for this season.

Howard got called for blocks at least two times where I thought he may have drawn a charge. His off the ball D was pretty solid. He still, and will probably always, have a tough time staying in front of guys off the dribble, but fortunately we now have help D underneath. I agree he is much better overall than as a freshman.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #76 on: November 07, 2018, 11:56:13 AM »
I played basketball in middle school, scored 3 points over 3 seasons. So I ask this in complete humbeled honesty...

Is it possible that the depth or some lighting changes is causing some of the missed 3pointers etc? Like it is taking time getting used to? Or is this me just trying to explain an off night or two?

I believe John Dodds wrote a dissertation on this subject about the BC.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #77 on: November 07, 2018, 11:57:10 AM »
Sacar was third on the team in minutes last  year, and he earned that time through his defensive play. Plus, as the year progressed, so did his offense. Right now, Sacar is probably the best on-ball defender and is probably 2nd only to Markus at getting to the hoop from the perimeter to create his own shot. 

He won't be averaging 30+ minutes per game by the end of the year, but with defense being Wojo's focal point right now, it makes sense to have your defensive leader on the floor a lot. I wouldn't be surprised to see him getting 30 minutes against IU, KU, KSU as a way to set the tone defensively. Once the team begins to mesh and other guy are more comofrtable, then Sacar's minutes will drop a little. I would expect that he'll still be getting 22-25 minutes come conference play, though.

This.  Sacar matched up with 33 and was followed in that assignment by Chartouny.  He's a very important contributor to the success of the team.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #78 on: November 07, 2018, 12:05:56 PM »
Shots weren't falling because the lads are used to shooting North-South.
Magnetic polarities and whatnot are totally different when shooting East-West.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #79 on: November 07, 2018, 12:06:42 PM »
I believe John Dodds wrote a dissertation on this subject about the BC.
one of the announcers actually made the "need to get used to the lighting and angles" comment and i was wondering how long it would take for the dissertation to be brought up.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #80 on: November 07, 2018, 12:42:02 PM »
Couple observations having witnessed the game and just now reading this thread.

1) LOVED Theo overall and especially that time the guy got inside and both Theo and Brendan just assassinated him with a double hard foul.  Nobody gets to our rim this year and doesn't pay a price.  We have enough skilled big men to make a statement.

2) Poor shots were very few and far between.  As Eng said, Chartouny seemingly completely forgot what Wojo had just said in the huddle, got yanked, grabbed by the shirt, aggressively pointed at, and sent to the bench to think about it.  Then was back in the game.  Again, we've got enough guys that Wojo doesn't have to bite his lip anymore.  Markus, on the other hand, continued to play within the gameplan, never took a bad shot that I remember, and had to be thinking WTF when he literally clanked a free throw.  No worries. Crap happens.  He has a normal game and we win by 35.

3) Didn't Cain seem active, especially on the glass?  The kid is an athlete and will really help us.  Feel the same way about Brendan. Both are really going to contribute this year.

Markus took numerous bad shots. I remember 3 or 4 three pointers early in the shot clock that were of the "crossover, step back, 3 feet behind the line" variety. We've just seen him make those shots so we don't necessarily think they are "bad". But he could have gotten those at any time. They were bad shots.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #81 on: November 07, 2018, 12:52:33 PM »
This.  Sacar matched up with 33 and was followed in that assignment by Chartouny.  He's a very important contributor to the success of the team.

I felt like the first five minutes, no one was covering Arkel Lamar (33). He was their only offensive option and keeping them close early. Once they started defending him, we stretched the lead and they never really made a game of it, even when we went long stretches without scoring.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #82 on: November 07, 2018, 01:01:38 PM »
I played basketball in middle school, scored 3 points over 3 seasons.

Careful ... Ners won't like that you had a more successful playing career than he did!

I felt like the first five minutes, no one was covering Arkel Lamar (33). He was their only offensive option and keeping them close early. Once they started defending him, we stretched the lead and they never really made a game of it, even when we went long stretches without scoring.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, Bailey, Cain and even Sam took some turns on him. The length seemed to bother him. We have the personnel to have that option now on defense.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #83 on: November 07, 2018, 01:12:53 PM »
Markus took numerous bad shots. I remember 3 or 4 three pointers early in the shot clock that were of the "crossover, step back, 3 feet behind the line" variety. We've just seen him make those shots so we don't necessarily think they are "bad". But he could have gotten those at any time. They were bad shots.
Yes—To say MH never tookabad shot last night is incorrect. Took several.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #84 on: November 07, 2018, 01:26:16 PM »

Careful ... Ners won't like that you had a more successful playing career than he did!

But if memory serves, Ners' 2 points came on a 360 windmill jam, where he took off from just beyond the free throw line.

Back to the original topic:

Joey and Brendan are going to be really good.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #85 on: November 07, 2018, 01:26:52 PM »
Wojo's post-game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuASXwsOpSI

Ike is out indefinitely.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #86 on: November 07, 2018, 01:34:01 PM »

Maybe semantical but I don't think he took bad shots (as in outside the flow of the offense or jacking it up, etc). He took a few shots that were lower probability of success (from deep or early in the shot clock) but given the opponent and the fact that he was wide open were not unreasonable.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #87 on: November 07, 2018, 01:35:37 PM »

I mean, one of those early buckets by Lamar was a fade away mid range two with Sacar in his grill.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #88 on: November 07, 2018, 01:41:09 PM »
Wojo's post-game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuASXwsOpSI

Ike is out indefinitely.

Ike may never play a game in a Marquette uniform.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #89 on: November 07, 2018, 01:50:18 PM »

Yeah...I wouldn't be surprised at this point.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #90 on: November 07, 2018, 01:52:15 PM »
Couple observations having witnessed the game and just now reading this thread.

Markus, on the other hand, continued to play within the gameplan, never took a bad shot that I remember, and had to be thinking WTF when he literally clanked a free throw.  No worries. Crap happens.  He has a normal game and we win by 35.

I was a little worried about Markus's psyche when he clanked that free throw after missing many, many threes.  But the next time he got up to the line, he had a huge smile on his face.  Had two nothing-but-nets, and shot pretty well after that.  It's reassuring to know he doesn't let a bad stretch of missed shots get to him.
Have some patience, FFS.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #91 on: November 07, 2018, 01:53:11 PM »

I feel bad for kid. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #92 on: November 07, 2018, 02:00:35 PM »
Bailey may actually be our best defender.  The second line defenders that time after time jumped in the air versus staying on their feet with their hands up is so aggravating.  Watching bailey stay low and not bite on every shot fake was a thing of beauty, maybe his Defensive IQ could  rub off on some of the others.  Chartouney is another great example of defense being as much about heart and intelligence as it is about athleticism.
Really nice to watch them.  The defense is vastly improved unfortunately we still make a lot of boneheaded defensive decisions that would make a grade school coach pull his hair out.
Really missed greg elliot at times, one of the frw players that can create fir himself. 
A defensive lineup with chartouney, greg, bailey, theo and a hauser could be really really good.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #93 on: November 07, 2018, 02:07:12 PM »
It looks better but still worried tge focus is not enuff on defense.  When an opposing player drives and we jump up to challenge his shot versus taking up space and looking to take a charge.  And the player does not come out of the game for a firm, “ that is not hiw we defend”.  It concerns me.  Are we not focused on or teaching proper defensive technics on an individual and team level.  Valud question.  Again better, but some of tge things we do cobsistantly that receive a clap or a slap on the butt would make bob higgins or frank martins head explode.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #94 on: November 07, 2018, 02:15:26 PM »
!

Also, if I'm not mistaken, Bailey, Cain and even Sam took some turns on him. The length seemed to bother him. We have the personnel to have that option now on defense.

Also I think our rotation wore them down.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #95 on: November 07, 2018, 02:17:20 PM »
It looks better but still worried tge focus is not enuff on defense.  When an opposing player drives and we jump up to challenge his shot versus taking up space and looking to take a charge.  And the player does not come out of the game for a firm, “ that is not hiw we defend”.  It concerns me.  Are we not focused on or teaching proper defensive technics on an individual and team level.  Valud question.  Again better, but some of tge things we do cobsistantly that receive a clap or a slap on the butt would make bob higgins or frank martins head explode.

Well that's why we have the whole season right?  Could our defense be even better?  Absolutely, but after watching the consistently poor defensive displays last season, last night was a very encouraging step in the right direction.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #96 on: November 07, 2018, 03:02:40 PM »

Yeah...I wouldn't be surprised at this point.

If his injury continues, what does a program do in an issue like this?  He has a b-ball scholarship and thats an allotment to the team.  Do they keep him on it for three more years or can they like transfer it to an academic scholarship?  I am sure it has happened elsewhere, but don't know exactly how it works.   

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #97 on: November 07, 2018, 03:05:21 PM »
If his injury continues, what does a program do in an issue like this?  He has a b-ball scholarship and thats an allotment to the team.  Do they keep him on it for three more years or can they like transfer it to an academic scholarship?  I am sure it has happened elsewhere, but don't know exactly how it works.   

I am sure that Marquette University would give him a full ride for as long as it took to get his degree.  I'm sure Wojo would keep him involved with the basketball program as well.

But yeah his basketball scholarship would be released and he would receive a different type of aid package.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #98 on: November 07, 2018, 03:33:06 PM »
Markus is going to have bad shooting games........MU needs he and Sam to be aggressive......Wojo said it in the post game. A bad shot for others might not be a bad shot for Markus or Sam.

This should also be recognized

https://twitter.com/painttouches/status/1060280847226601474?s=21

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #99 on: November 07, 2018, 03:49:52 PM »

Huh?  Don't jump to contest a shot but rather stand there with your hands up?  The defense was great.  Markus knows he isn't going to be blocking shots so he attempted to take (and got 1 or 2) multiple charges when he was the help side defender.  Otherwise there were multiple times where Ed and Theo both jumped straight up with their arms straight above their heads simply to contest knowing they wouldn't get a clean block, absorbed contact from the driver, and forced a horrible miss while the driver went to the ground and the ref correctly motioned for verticality as they looked for a foul call.  And when a layup was all but guaranteed, we hammered them and sent them to the line.  And then had a large number of blocked shots.

If you want to complain that a couple times a guy like Joey got caught sprinting out to the perimeter after helping on a driver and got beat when the guy he was guarding put the ball on the deck instead of letting the shot go, sure.  But then you'd basically be complaining that we didn't shut the team out.

The defense was great.  The opponent wasn't.  We'll see if the defense continues to be great when the opponent is also great.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

feedback