[Today at 09:46:37 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU Fan in Connecticut
[Today at 09:25:35 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by MarquetteDano
[Today at 09:22:06 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 07:22:54 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NBA Thread 2019-20  (Read 219636 times)

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
Re: NBA Thread 2018-19
« Reply #475 on: May 09, 2019, 06:56:11 AM »
That is funny.

To 82's comment, that was one piss poorly coached team. Was it Stevens fault? Irving? Tatum?

I think there are too many A players on that team and not enough complementary ones. That team didn’t need Kyrie.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #476 on: May 09, 2019, 07:51:16 AM »
Bucks' Twitter account is savage tonight. Some well earned trolling happening tonight

https://twitter.com/SophiaMinnaert/status/1126313229876113408
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #477 on: May 09, 2019, 08:01:07 AM »
Congrats to Bucks. Rooting for them to win the title, and I think they can. They have an unselfish superstar, and have done a nice job surrounding him with good players who know their roles. I'm not a Bucks fan, but they are very easy to root for.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #478 on: May 09, 2019, 10:19:57 AM »
Did KD just tear his achilles?

Edit to update: they’re saying calf strain.

That was an incredible 5 min on social media.  For all the KD memes and hating, for all the Warriors vitriol, there was a collective "oh no, not like this".  Achilles tears past 30 are very hard to come back from.  He wouldn't have been done, but we could potentially have seen the end of KD's peak.  Thank god it wasnt.

Reggie Miller should be slapped for his fear mongering.  Instead of the prudent "wait and see" approach, dude basically diagnosed the Achilles injury and reiterated it 10 times.

Incredible response from the Warriors.  They aren't a better team without KD, but they were playing an un-Warriorslike iso offense through him in this series.  Freed up Steph to get going.  Draymond to be Draymond and ignite the offense.

Also, shout out Looney.  What a game from him.  Amazing what happens when you can learn and grow in an NBA system without being expected to be a star from day 1.  Still only 23 and on a one year deal.  He keeps this up and the Warriors move on, he's playing himself into a nice summer payday.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #479 on: May 09, 2019, 10:29:27 AM »

I think there are too many A players on that team and not enough complementary ones. That team didn’t need Kyrie.

I totally agree. Kyrie, Hayward, Tatum all want to be the big dog.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #480 on: May 09, 2019, 10:35:40 AM »
That was an incredible 5 min on social media.  For all the KD memes and hating, for all the Warriors vitriol, there was a collective "oh no, not like this".  Achilles tears past 30 are very hard to come back from.  He wouldn't have been done, but we could potentially have seen the end of KD's peak.  Thank god it wasnt.

Reggie Miller should be slapped for his fear mongering.  Instead of the prudent "wait and see" approach, dude basically diagnosed the Achilles injury and reiterated it 10 times.

Incredible response from the Warriors.  They aren't a better team without KD, but they were playing an un-Warriorslike iso offense through him in this series.  Freed up Steph to get going.  Draymond to be Draymond and ignite the offense.

Also, shout out Looney.  What a game from him.  Amazing what happens when you can learn and grow in an NBA system without being expected to be a star from day 1.  Still only 23 and on a one year deal.  He keeps this up and the Warriors move on, he's playing himself into a nice summer payday.

I think Reggie's reaction was fine.  That's looked exactly like how someone responds from an achilles tear.  Not a lot there in terms of a weird movement or bending, nobody touches him, but just a sudden shot of pain, the guy looks back to see what hit him and there was nothing there, and then that limp was very much how someone would limp with an achilles tear.  I definitely admit I immediately thought for sure he just tore his achilles, regardless of what Reggie was saying.

Also agreed on Looney.  It's great that he has developed but I also was texting a friend last night saying he's in such a great situation to get paid and I'm not really sure he's very good.  Not athletic, not quick, average sized for a big guy, no outside shot.  He just has the ability to be efficient because he gets completely left alone by the defense when one of their 4 All Stars (plus Iggy) breaks down the defense.  Look at what playing with the Warriors did for JaVale McGee.  The guy has always been a laughing stock, he plays with the Warriors and some eyes open to think maybe there's something more than a giant who can jump but is just useless in terms of basketball talent, and then he leaves the Warriors and it turns out he is what he's always been, he just got wide open dunks playing next to 4 All Stars.  Looney is more skilled than McGee, but also much less athletic and big.

I totally agree. Kyrie, Hayward, Tatum all want to be the big dog.

I think Brown wants to be the big dog more than Hayward does.  I actually feel bad for Hayward.  I loved watching him play in Utah.  Very smooth, very unselfish, but aggressive.  He was nowhere near that this year.  It took Paul George 1 year to get back on the court physically, but then a second year to get back to where he was before his horrific leg injury.  Maybe Hayward will be back to his normal self next year.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #481 on: May 09, 2019, 11:24:07 AM »
Also agreed on Looney.  It's great that he has developed but I also was texting a friend last night saying he's in such a great situation to get paid and I'm not really sure he's very good.  Not athletic, not quick, average sized for a big guy, no outside shot.  He just has the ability to be efficient because he gets completely left alone by the defense when one of their 4 All Stars (plus Iggy) breaks down the defense.  Look at what playing with the Warriors did for JaVale McGee.  The guy has always been a laughing stock, he plays with the Warriors and some eyes open to think maybe there's something more than a giant who can jump but is just useless in terms of basketball talent, and then he leaves the Warriors and it turns out he is what he's always been, he just got wide open dunks playing next to 4 All Stars.  Looney is more skilled than McGee, but also much less athletic and big.

I don't disagree.  Honestly, the most impressive stuff wasn't his offense.  He rebounded extremely well, especially on the offensive end.  He played good defense.  He seems to always be in the right spots and make smart plays.  The loose ball grab and pass to Klay for the capping off layup was a prime example. 

He won't be an All-Star, but if he can rebound like that, he'll be an effective undersized 5 and can work on the right team. If Ian Mahinmi can get 4 years $64MM, no reason Looney shouldn't get 3 or 4 at 5-7 per.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #482 on: May 09, 2019, 11:30:53 AM »
Of course you don't.  You just compared him to a player who can't hold a candle to him and was never even top 5 at his position.  Kyrie just averaged 24-5-7 with a 48/40/88 slash, coming off a major injury.  His attitude is problematic and crapty and he's had a bad series, but to diminish him as a player and talent as a result of that is dumb.

The Cavs don't win that championship without him, period.  I already said I don't think he'll ever be "the man" on a championship team, but I also think that about James Harden.

Watch Kyrie's highlights.  He does things that pretty much nobody else in the league can do from a scoring perspective at his size.  And its pretty established among the opinions of his peers that he has the best handle in the NBA.

So I watched Kyrie's highlights from yesterday.  He was terrible.  Completely overrated player.

Has won exactly one playoff series that he participated in without Lebron. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #483 on: May 09, 2019, 11:32:48 AM »
Kerr loves #5. Says, on the court, he's the smartest player on their roster. Golden State holds his Bird rights also. Kevon will get paid.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #484 on: May 09, 2019, 11:59:19 AM »

So I watched Kyrie's highlights from yesterday.  He was terrible.  Completely overrated player.

Has won exactly one playoff series that he participated in without Lebron.

LOL.  He's only played in 2.

Yes, he had a terrible series.  On a team that was broken after game 1 and gave up yesterday.  If 1 bad playoff series, in which his entire team played fairly poorly, is what makes a player overrated.  Then most of the league is overrated.

"Watch his career highlights"..."Nah, I watched his highlights from one game and made my complete assessment"   You're hilarious.  I presented you with myriad facts, you called it a weak argument.  And you come back with that subjective crap after watching the highlights of a game.  8-)

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #485 on: May 09, 2019, 01:20:22 PM »

Yes, he had a terrible series.  On a team that was broken after game 1 and gave up yesterday.  If 1 bad playoff series, in which his entire team played fairly poorly, is what makes a player overrated.  Then most of the league is overrated.

"Watch his career highlights"..."Nah, I watched his highlights from one game and made my complete assessment"   You're hilarious.  I presented you with myriad facts, you called it a weak argument.  And you come back with that subjective crap after watching the highlights of a game.  8-)

Your boy got shut down.  Cold.  But that's not new for him come playoff time.  But go on about his slash line.  It's amusing.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #486 on: May 09, 2019, 01:21:45 PM »

You way over rate Kyrie. Just a high volume scorer and a black hole on offense. He shuts down any attempt at team play. And offers very little at the other end of the floor.

He is a great talent, but is nowhere near a great talent on the floor. I wouldn’t trade Brogdon straight up. Kyrie would destroy the Bucks.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #487 on: May 09, 2019, 01:23:44 PM »
You way over rate Kyrie. Just a high volume scorer and a black hole on offense. He shuts down any attempt at team play. And offers very little at the other end of the floor.

He is a great talent, but is nowhere near a great talent on the floor. I wouldn’t trade Brogdon straight up. Kyrie would destroy the Bucks.

Yep.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26702069/kyrie-irving-failed-leadership-tells-story-celtics-failed-season

Lebron can do what Lebron does because he's so damn good.  Kyrie can't.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 01:37:40 PM by Fluffy Blue Monster »

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #488 on: May 09, 2019, 01:37:55 PM »
Looney has actually shown the midrange jumper in this series. He's hit 5-6 baseline 15-20 footers. Didn't know he had it in him but he clearly has confidence in that shot but isn't asked to shoot very often.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #489 on: May 09, 2019, 01:54:02 PM »
Kerr loves #5. Says, on the court, he's the smartest player on their roster. Golden State holds his Bird rights also. Kevon will get paid.

Yeah he may not get paid at GSW though.  They are hitting the tax cap and have Klay and Durant as UFAs as well.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #490 on: May 09, 2019, 02:30:50 PM »

Your boy got shut down.  Cold.  But that's not new for him come playoff time.  But go on about his slash line.  It's amusing.

My boy?  Dont make it personal.  You're the one giving opinions and making fun of statistics I present.  I have no feelings on Kyrie either way.  I merely defended a 6x All Star's ability against a comparison as a lesser player.

And vanished come playoff time?  His playoff numbers were great in Cleveland.  He's played 2 whole series without Lebron.  He was fine in one with a monster game, complete crap in another.  You talk like he's had years of failure without Lebron.

Ive never said he was a great team player.  Hell, Ive said multiple times he's not a great leader and a poor defender.  Kyrie would be a terrible fit for the Bucks, agree 100%.  He wasn't a good fit in Boston either, im surprised they went after him.  All Ive said is he is a premier scorer and ballhandler.  Never even said he was a top 5 guard.  Just said he's elite at his 2 best skills.  And Fluffy has felt the need to counter that with Kyrie being trash and overrated, an opinion he'll continue to hold as Kyrie likely picks up another 5-6 All Star nods and finishes in the top 25 in all time NBA scorers on his way to the HOF. Shrug

I don't think Melo is a good team player and a team with him as a pure focal point was never going to win a title, but to diminish his scoring abilities and skills at his peak was just dumb.  Thats how I feel about Kyrie.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #491 on: May 09, 2019, 02:59:51 PM »
My boy?  Dont make it personal.  You're the one giving opinions and making fun of statistics I present.  I have no feelings on Kyrie either way.  I merely defended a 6x All Star's ability against a comparison as a lesser player.

And vanished come playoff time?  His playoff numbers were great in Cleveland.  He's played 2 whole series without Lebron.  He was fine in one with a monster game, complete crap in another.  You talk like he's had years of failure without Lebron.

Ive never said he was a great team player.  Hell, Ive said multiple times he's not a great leader and a poor defender.  Kyrie would be a terrible fit for the Bucks, agree 100%.  He wasn't a good fit in Boston either, im surprised they went after him.  All Ive said is he is a premier scorer and ballhandler.  Never even said he was a top 5 guard.  Just said he's elite at his 2 best skills.  And Fluffy has felt the need to counter that with Kyrie being trash and overrated, an opinion he'll continue to hold as Kyrie likely picks up another 5-6 All Star nods and finishes in the top 25 in all time NBA scorers on his way to the HOF. Shrug

I don't think Melo is a good team player and a team with him as a pure focal point was never going to win a title, but to diminish his scoring abilities and skills at his peak was just dumb.  Thats how I feel about Kyrie.

Good post, Wags. I think we just have some basic disagreements. The main one being over the importance of the ability to score.

This "argument" going on is very reminiscent of the discussion when the Cavs acquired Kevin Love. I may have been the only one then who said Love was way over rated. Almost everyone else said he was a top 10-15 player in the league. I said he was simply a high volume scorer and rebounder from a team that had no one else who could do those things. I feel the same about Kyrie. Talented, but no team will ever win a title if he is "the guy".

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #492 on: May 10, 2019, 09:39:10 AM »
Also, OT, but saw this on ESPN today. I'm unclear what impressive stats they're referring to, but ok.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26695886/harry-froling-now-confident-nba-capabilities

Congrats on your big game against Josh freaking Boone, Harry!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #493 on: May 10, 2019, 10:50:38 PM »
The only noise the Rockets ever make is their constant complaining/excuses. Last year the CP3 injury was why they lost. Last year the refs are why they lost.

Fast forward a year and the Warriors lose a far superior player to injury in the role reversal. But champions step up instead of make excuses.

Can’t wait for the 2019 version of the Rockets’ internal audit on the reffing this series!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #494 on: May 11, 2019, 05:18:30 AM »
The only noise the Rockets ever make is their constant complaining/excuses. Last year the CP3 injury was why they lost. Last year the refs are why they lost.

Fast forward a year and the Warriors lose a far superior player to injury in the role reversal. But champions step up instead of make excuses.

Can’t wait for the 2019 version of the Rockets’ internal audit on the reffing this series!

Yep. The Rockets are a big disappointment. Again.

While the KD injury should have given the Rockets a huge advantage, there were some people acting as if the Warriors were a talent-poor team just hoping to survive. Without KD, they went to 2 finals and won one.

Very impressed by the contributions of some of the GS guys who usually don't get much playing time. Looney has become a nice role player. And hell, I didn't know until last week that Shumpert was still in the league!

I also couldn't help but smile when they showed one of Kerr's huddles. He said nothing. "Keep playing hard." "You're doing great." As is the case with Wojo and pretty much every coach, these televised huddles reveal nothing.

I'd love to see Denver or Portland knock off the Warriors, but I don't see it happening. It'll be up to the Bucks!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #495 on: May 11, 2019, 10:41:21 AM »

Don’t worry, Tilman Fertitta reminded everyone that Hakeem didn’t win his first til 31. Harden just needs to age like a nice Cabernet. No need to worry Rockets fans.

Yep. The Rockets are a big disappointment. Again.

While the KD injury should have given the Rockets a huge advantage, there were some people acting as if the Warriors were a talent-poor team just hoping to survive. Without KD, they went to 2 finals and won one.

The mental gymnastics that people went through to convince themselves the Warriors were only good cause of KD and Curry was no longer good/always was overrated is astounding. Someone in a group of people I talk NBA with was hellbent on the opinion that the Warriors would be a 5/6 seed in the West without KD. People were making fun of Curry for being scoreless in the first even after the game. “Klay made more big shots down the stretch than Curry”. I get the Warriors hate, but the delusion is insane. “The Warriors still win that first title with Klay and Draymond if Livingston was starting and they didn’t have Curry. We saw how he cost them in 2016”... :o

Warriors played a TON of iso with KD against the Rockets, just cause the Rockets style of play and matchups. Taking KD out made them play much more open and gave more touches to their rhythm shooters. So it was actually an upgrade in the series alone.

Hoping for the Blazers. I think warriors in 5 against either team, but seeing Dame/CJ try to keep up with Steph/Klay/KD in a firefight could be fun

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #496 on: May 11, 2019, 02:19:41 PM »
Hoping for a Denver/Milwaukee final but the NBA will never let that happen.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #497 on: May 11, 2019, 02:36:02 PM »
Hoping for a Denver/Milwaukee final but the NBA will never let that happen.

Oh please. The NBA is rigged crowd is so tiresome.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #498 on: May 11, 2019, 06:29:17 PM »

+1000

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #499 on: May 11, 2019, 10:34:58 PM »

One of the 2 big lies about the NBA - the other is "They don't play any defense".

If you like basketball, NBA playoff basketball is light years superior to any other version of the game.

feedback