collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:01:08 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by denverMU
[March 28, 2024, 09:45:23 PM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NBA Thread 2019-20  (Read 219572 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: NBA Thread 2018-19
« Reply #450 on: May 07, 2019, 10:48:20 AM »

Kyrie is a slightly better version of Stephon Marbury. Still a very good player and an all-star, but not a Superstar who can be the big dog on an NBA Champion.

I don't disagree with this.  I don't think he's a leader.

Honestly, personalities aside, play style I think he could work with KD.  The Warriors have been using KD as a point forward for awhile.  Curry is obviously still a PG, but is playing off the ball more.  I could see this working with Kyrie and KD.  They can switch off being on the ball, play much more fluid and break down defenders if needed.  Add a reliable 3 and D guy and you could have a nice veteran core there.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #451 on: May 07, 2019, 10:49:21 AM »
I don't disagree with this.  I don't think he's a leader.

Honestly, personalities aside, play style I think he could work with KD.  The Warriors have been using KD as a point forward for awhile.  Curry is obviously still a PG, but is playing off the ball more.  I could see this working with Kyrie and KD.  They can switch off being on the ball, play much more fluid and break down defenders if needed.  Add a reliable 3 and D guy and you could have a nice veteran core there.

Unless they end up hating/resenting each other.

Maybe that never happens and the Knicks win NBA titles. We'll see.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #452 on: May 07, 2019, 10:51:22 AM »
Kyrie is one of the best ball handling/scoring talents the league has seen in a decade plus, not just a gunner.

Sorry but I just don't believe this statement.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #453 on: May 07, 2019, 04:41:22 PM »
Sorry but I just don't believe this statement.

Of course you don't.  You just compared him to a player who can't hold a candle to him and was never even top 5 at his position.  Kyrie just averaged 24-5-7 with a 48/40/88 slash, coming off a major injury.  His attitude is problematic and crapty and he's had a bad series, but to diminish him as a player and talent as a result of that is dumb.

The Cavs don't win that championship without him, period.  I already said I don't think he'll ever be "the man" on a championship team, but I also think that about James Harden.

Watch Kyrie's highlights.  He does things that pretty much nobody else in the league can do from a scoring perspective at his size.  And its pretty established among the opinions of his peers that he has the best handle in the NBA.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #454 on: May 07, 2019, 04:47:16 PM »
Of course you don't.  You just compared him to a player who can't hold a candle to him and was never even top 5 at his position.  Kyrie just averaged 24-5-7 with a 48/40/88 slash, coming off a major injury.  His attitude is problematic and crapty and he's had a bad series, but to diminish him as a player and talent as a result of that is dumb.

The Cavs don't win that championship without him, period.  I already said I don't think he'll ever be "the man" on a championship team, but I also think that about James Harden.

Watch Kyrie's highlights.  He does things that pretty much nobody else in the league can do from a scoring perspective at his size.  And its pretty established among the opinions of his peers that he has the best handle in the NBA.

Yeah none that f this really supports your initial statement.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #455 on: May 07, 2019, 05:17:31 PM »
Yeah none that f this really supports your initial statement.

I stated he's one of the best ball handlers in a decade.  Go ahead, name some better.  Again, this has been an NBA consensus since his first All Star season in Year 2.
https://theundefeated.com/features/kyrie-irving-dribbling-cleveland-cavaliers/

He's the best scoring "small" guard since AI.  He's top 30 in career PPG average.  On that list, other than AI, the only comparably sized guys on that list are Lillard and Curry.  Both shoot substantially more 3s than Kyrie (30% of his FGA), Lillard around 40% of his FG attemps while Curry is closer to 50.  He's a super crafty scorer who actually does a ton around the rim and in the midrange despite probably realistically being 6'2.

You could say he's a cancer.  You could say he's not a team player.  But dude can absolutely ball at an elite level.  He's on a HOF arc statistically if he does this another 5-6 years.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #456 on: May 07, 2019, 06:18:46 PM »
I stated he's one of the best ball handlers in a decade.  Go ahead, name some better.  Again, this has been an NBA consensus since his first All Star season in Year 2.

He's the best scoring "small" guard since AI.  He's top 30 in career PPG average.  On that list, other than AI, the only comparably sized guys on that list are Lillard and Curry.  Both shoot substantially more 3s than Kyrie (30% of his FGA), Lillard around 40% of his FG attemps while Curry is closer to 50.  He's a super crafty scorer who actually does a ton around the rim and in the midrange despite probably realistically being 6'2.

You could say he's a cancer.  You could say he's not a team player.  But dude can absolutely ball at an elite level.  He's on a HOF arc statistically if he does this another 5-6 years.

No doubt HOFer. Kyrie is incredible. He's having a poor series and he might be kind of a weird guy. But agree with everything you've said.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #457 on: May 07, 2019, 06:50:52 PM »

You know that just saying the same thing multiple times doesn’t really prove something.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #458 on: May 07, 2019, 07:14:04 PM »
You know that just saying the same thing multiple times doesn’t really prove something.

This feels like a weird argument. Unless voters are going to contextualize this entire era because of scoring proliferation, he's undoubtedly on a HOF pace.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #459 on: May 07, 2019, 07:41:15 PM »

Neither does your failure to provide any evidence to the contrary other to say “I don’t believe you” and stick to an already proven false comparison

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #460 on: May 07, 2019, 09:02:43 PM »
Neither does your failure to provide any evidence to the contrary other to say “I don’t believe you” and stick to an already proven false comparison

Cool. 

But in the end, your weak arguments didn't change my mind. 

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #461 on: May 07, 2019, 09:03:18 PM »
This feels like a weird argument. Unless voters are going to contextualize this entire era because of scoring proliferation, he's undoubtedly on a HOF pace.

Like I care.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #462 on: May 07, 2019, 10:22:33 PM »

Cool. 

But in the end, your weak arguments didn't change my mind.

Ok, cool. Hook ‘Em

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #463 on: May 08, 2019, 11:16:15 AM »
Brogdon not starting and on a minutes restriction, but he's back.  Really hoping to close this one out tonight.  You do not want to go back to Boston for game 6, and then have all the pressure of having been up 3-1 and facing a game 7.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #464 on: May 08, 2019, 04:34:35 PM »
Will be good to get Brogdon back in the flow, but now is not the time to play with our food. If he looks like he's off or out of sorts, yank him and let him get his sea legs in Game 1.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #465 on: May 08, 2019, 04:44:17 PM »
Also, OT, but saw this on ESPN today. I'm unclear what impressive stats they're referring to, but ok.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26695886/harry-froling-now-confident-nba-capabilities

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #466 on: May 08, 2019, 05:53:45 PM »
Also, OT, but saw this on ESPN today. I'm unclear what impressive stats they're referring to, but ok.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26695886/harry-froling-now-confident-nba-capabilities

lol, am i to understand this isn't just some sort of very cruel, long practical joke that this Nick Metallinos fellow is playing on Harry Froling?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #467 on: May 08, 2019, 07:42:19 PM »
lol, am i to understand this isn't just some sort of very cruel, long practical joke that this Nick Metallinos fellow is playing on Harry Froling?

The NBL is aggressively trying to position itself as a competitor to the G League both as a place for American talent to go if not college, as well as a feeder of homegrown talent to the league. They’ve made some salary, roster, and promotion changes to reflect that. Given Froling was ROY this past season, they have a vested interest in him making the NBA and kind of proving out their intentions. So the PR attention and push makes sense

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #468 on: May 08, 2019, 09:31:05 PM »
Pierce is calling it - Boston in 9.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #469 on: May 08, 2019, 09:34:35 PM »
So much for Brad Stevens being a genius, I guess.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #470 on: May 08, 2019, 09:40:41 PM »
If this was the NCAA tournament,  the celtics would have won already  ;D
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #471 on: May 08, 2019, 09:48:20 PM »
If this was the NCAA tournament,  the celtics would have won already  ;D

That is funny.

To 82's comment, that was one piss poorly coached team. Was it Stevens fault? Irving? Tatum?

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #472 on: May 08, 2019, 10:20:25 PM »
Bucks' Twitter account is savage tonight. Some well earned trolling happening tonight

MU82

• All American
« Reply #473 on: May 08, 2019, 10:21:00 PM »
That is funny.

To 82's comment, that was one piss poorly coached team. Was it Stevens fault? Irving? Tatum?

I'm thinking there will be some addition by subtraction after Irving goes. They did better last year without him.

Based on both his college and NBA accomplishments, it appears Stevens does a better job in an underdog situation.

I was mostly kidding about the "genius" line. Obviously, he hasn't forgotten how to coach. Probably just a bad mix now in Boston, starting with Irving.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #474 on: May 08, 2019, 11:24:30 PM »
Did KD just tear his achilles?

Edit to update: they’re saying calf strain.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 11:42:11 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

feedback