[Today at 01:04:10 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Uncle Rico
[Today at 01:03:27 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NBA Thread 2019-20  (Read 219536 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: NBA Thread 2018-19
« Reply #325 on: February 08, 2019, 01:45:33 PM »
What does Memphis get out of that deal? Its not like they really get any salary relief given that Valunciunas is owed only $8M less next year.

Memphis actually got a ton of salary relief because Gasol has a player option for nearly $26 million next season and he surely is going to exercise it because he ain't getting $26M on the open market.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #326 on: February 08, 2019, 02:22:19 PM »
Memphis actually got a ton of salary relief because Gasol has a player option for nearly $26 million next season and he surely is going to exercise it because he ain't getting $26M on the open market.

But Valancunis is set to make $17M next year, CJ Miles is set to make $8M next year, and Norman POwell is set to make $10M next year and $11M the year after.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #327 on: February 08, 2019, 07:36:35 PM »
But Valancunis is set to make $17M next year, CJ Miles is set to make $8M next year, and Norman POwell is set to make $10M next year and $11M the year after.

Oh, wades, you and your facts.

For some reason, I thought the other two besides Valancunis were supposed to be off the payroll after this season. Thanks for setting me straight.

Well then ... that trade really blows for Memphis. I'm guessing that the Hornets must have wanted them to take an even worse contract, like Batum's maybe, because it's hard to believe that otherwise the trade would have been worse for Memphis.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #328 on: February 08, 2019, 07:44:43 PM »
Oh, wades, you and your facts.

For some reason, I thought the other two besides Valancunis were supposed to be off the payroll after this season. Thanks for setting me straight.

Well then ... that trade really blows for Memphis. I'm guessing that the Hornets must have wanted them to take an even worse contract, like Batum's maybe, because it's hard to believe that otherwise the trade would have been worse for Memphis.

I did just do quick looks at only the salaries for each year. Maybe the other 2 are easy cuts in the offseason or something, not sure on that part.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #329 on: February 09, 2019, 07:43:20 PM »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #330 on: February 10, 2019, 09:29:35 AM »
I saw Henry play last weekend.   He has filled out.    This should be his senior year.      And his game is about where you would expect it to be if he had stayed at MU.    He still does many of the same things he did and could in college.    Get a defensive rebound and go end to end with either hand, a rarity among 6'11 players.     Shoot his team into or out of games from 3.     Defensively, I can say his effort and technique have increased over the last 3 years.    The results have not.   Not strong enough to guard a 5, not quick enough to guard an NBA 3-4. 

Again, this should be his senior year.    I hope he either finds a good fit in Europe or an NBA team that can use his skill set and cover for his defense.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #331 on: February 10, 2019, 09:47:22 AM »
I saw Henry play last weekend.   He has filled out.    This should be his senior year.      And his game is about where you would expect it to be if he had stayed at MU.    He still does many of the same things he did and could in college.    Get a defensive rebound and go end to end with either hand, a rarity among 6'11 players.     Shoot his team into or out of games from 3.     Defensively, I can say his effort and technique have increased over the last 3 years.    The results have not.   Not strong enough to guard a 5, not quick enough to guard an NBA 3-4. 

Again, this should be his senior year.    I hope he either finds a good fit in Europe or an NBA team that can use his skill set and cover for his defense.   

Based on this assessment, tower, it sounds like Henry made the right decision to go.

He has millions of dollars in the bank (I hope), he has gotten better at many things, and he probably would not have gotten appreciably better had he stayed at Marquette while risking exposing his weaknesses and/or injury.

Of course, he also had to grow up maybe quicker than he wanted and he faces an uncertain basketball future at an age when many are just getting excited about the prospects of their careers.

We can't know if he feels sadness or regret about those things, or if he misses the "college experience." But if it were me, I'd be satisfied with my decision and would be looking for other opportunities, be they here or abroad.

As a fan, I'm grateful for his one year here -- I enjoyed watching that team play most of the time -- and for the jolt of credibility he helped give Wojo's program.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #332 on: February 12, 2019, 11:28:39 AM »

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #333 on: February 22, 2019, 09:59:21 AM »
Fun night in the Association last night:

- Bucks get a big win vs the C's that causes Bill Simmons to cry crocodile tears on twitter and then get owned by the Bucks official account.

- Dave Joerger further cements that he's going to win Coach of the Year and then promptly get fired, and neither will be the wrong call.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #334 on: February 22, 2019, 10:10:40 AM »
Fun night in the Association last night:

- Bucks get a big win vs the C's that causes Bill Simmons to cry crocodile tears on twitter and then get owned by the Bucks official account.

- Dave Joerger further cements that he's going to win Coach of the Year and then promptly get fired, and neither will be the wrong call.

That's awesome, I'll have to find this.  The Bucks played SO bad last night and still go the win.  Ersan is coming back around and Mirotic is going to really help.  I really think the Bucks are the 2nd best team in the NBA by a pretty decent margin, it'll just come down to whether players not named Giannis can perform when teams make those guys beat them in the Playoffs.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #335 on: February 22, 2019, 07:41:55 PM »
That's awesome, I'll have to find this.  The Bucks played SO bad last night and still go the win.  Ersan is coming back around and Mirotic is going to really help.  I really think the Bucks are the 2nd best team in the NBA by a pretty decent margin, it'll just come down to whether players not named Giannis can perform when teams make those guys beat them in the Playoffs.

I was very confused how the Bucks were called for a shot clock violation under 4 seconds. Turns out that was one of a slew of calls that were missed. Some went against the Celts, but based on this there were tow missed calls in the final 4 seconds that - if made properly - means the Celts don't get that last shot

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26057309/nba-says-referees-missed-multiple-calls-end-milwaukee-bucks-boston-celtics-game 

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #336 on: February 23, 2019, 12:14:44 AM »
Another fun night - DeRozan’s return to Toronto very cool, PG with a crazy game winner over Gobert to cement his entry into the MVP conversation. The NBA is popping right now.

Also SVP and Legler are probably the best sportscenter combo in the last ten years. Legler is great at breaking down tape and SVP brings out the best in his analysts.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #337 on: February 23, 2019, 07:39:09 AM »
Another fun night - DeRozan’s return to Toronto very cool, PG with a crazy game winner over Gobert to cement his entry into the MVP conversation. The NBA is popping right now.

Also SVP and Legler are probably the best sportscenter combo in the last ten years. Legler is great at breaking down tape and SVP brings out the best in his analysts.

That was a heck of a shot by George, that's for sure. Split two defenders at about the FT line and then lofted that floater waaaaay high to get it over Gobert. The Jazz got Korver a pretty darn good look at the buzzer but it was just off. Entertaining 4Q and OT.

Also agree about the combo of SVP (who isn't always my cup of tea) and Legler.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #338 on: February 23, 2019, 11:27:40 AM »
That was a heck of a shot by George, that's for sure. Split two defenders at about the FT line and then lofted that floater waaaaay high to get it over Gobert. The Jazz got Korver a pretty darn good look at the buzzer but it was just off. Entertaining 4Q and OT.

Also agree about the combo of SVP (who isn't always my cup of tea) and Legler.

Let's not ignore Abdel Nader's clutch 3 and solid defense on Mitchell  8-)

MU82

• All American
« Reply #339 on: February 23, 2019, 03:07:27 PM »
Let's not ignore Abdel Nader's clutch 3 and solid defense on Mitchell  8-)

Yep, he came in cold off the bench after Russ fouled out and hit that 3. Big time.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #340 on: February 28, 2019, 11:34:09 AM »
I think it's absolutely hysterical that it takes LeBron going from Cleveland to LA for people to finally admit the guy is a phony, conceited, terrible teammate.  It's been evident for well over a decade but nobody could say a bad thing about the guy...until he went to the Lakers.

I have to give him credit, though.  He went into "Playoff Mode," activated it early, and boy oh boy has his defensive effort been outstanding!

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #341 on: February 28, 2019, 11:39:21 AM »
I think it's absolutely hysterical that it takes LeBron going from Cleveland to LA for people to finally admit the guy is a phony, conceited, terrible teammate.  It's been evident for well over a decade but nobody could say a bad thing about the guy...until he went to the Lakers.

I have to give him credit, though.  He went into "Playoff Mode," activated it early, and boy oh boy has his defensive effort been outstanding!

Nobody said a bad thing about LeBron until he went to LA?
Hmmm.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #342 on: March 01, 2019, 01:37:56 AM »

There was a clip on Twitter the other night I saw where he neglected to step out on a shooter to halfheartedly cover the lane (which had a defender in it) and then exasperately looked at the bench and his teammates with his arms up when the jumper was made. Then proceeded to complain about effort in the post game.

I’ve never been a Lebron fan, even though he is an otherworldly talent, but this season has been next level. You openly try to trade your entire team and then get pissy and patronizing when they don’t rally around you. You can see the kind of stuff that likely made Kyrie annoyed, but he’s doing it in the open now.

Lakers missing the playoffs would be AMAZING

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #343 on: March 01, 2019, 09:23:48 AM »
Nobody said a bad thing about LeBron until he went to LA?
Hmmm.

Lol.  Exactly.  Hugh hmmm
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #344 on: March 01, 2019, 10:01:11 AM »
I have been a big LeBron fan, but I have been disappointed with him this season.

In many respects, this was a wasted year for him and for the Lakers (except in the Money Made and Drama Created categories). It will be interesting to see what happens there during the offseason.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #345 on: March 01, 2019, 12:17:52 PM »

I'm glad you were finally able to admit it out in the open!

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #346 on: March 01, 2019, 05:53:13 PM »
Bledsoe extension, 4/70 mil. I think it's a great deal both ways. Bledsoe certainly could have got more if he hit free agency.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #347 on: March 01, 2019, 05:54:31 PM »
I was really down on Horst when he was hired. Thought he was going to be way over his head. He’s making it a race for who is the best GM in Milwaukee.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #348 on: March 01, 2019, 06:37:58 PM »
  bucks are adding pau gasol-holy veteran 7 footer back-up centers batman!

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26113538/gasol-join-bucks-spurs-buyout
don't...don't don't don't don't

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #349 on: March 01, 2019, 08:01:33 PM »
Bledsoe extension, 4/70 mil. I think it's a great deal both ways. Bledsoe certainly could have got more if he hit free agency.

Huge. Allows the team to focus on the rest of the roster and figure out which other pieces need to be retained. I have a hard time with the idea of Middleton getting the max though