Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Jimmy Butler  (Read 30454 times)

Floorslapper

• All American
Re: Jimmy Butler
« Reply #100 on: October 11, 2018, 09:57:38 AM »
One of the teams most veteran and best players calling out younger players in practice.  It's the same situation.  You're saying that you have to be at Kobe of MJ level to call out your teammates for half-@$$ing it in practice?

Agree.  He led by example.  Took the team of 3rd string players and beat KAT and Wiggins team, several times.  Jimmy is the alpha of that team.  Proved his point.  KAT and Wiggins don't like it, they'll never have a chance at winning on a big level.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #101 on: October 11, 2018, 09:58:14 AM »
It's not shifting the goal posts.  You brought up the possibility of joining Kyrie as an alternative source of his motivation and I responded to it directly.

It is shifting goalposts.  You made the implication that JFB only cares about money by wanting a trade to teams that "Didn't even make the playoffs".  You then double down by saying that he wouldn't be teaming up with anyone, further implying that it's only about the money.  FYI, players choose to team up in new cities, the Miami Heat era for example.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #102 on: October 11, 2018, 09:58:59 AM »
Your Freudian Slip is showing

This post didn't get enough recognition

TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #103 on: October 11, 2018, 09:59:54 AM »
So an over the hill, sh*tty player. Got it.

If the argument is that that older players with lower PERs can't be correct in pushing back against young, inexperienced but extremely talented players, we're not going to see eye to eye on this.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #104 on: October 11, 2018, 10:01:44 AM »
One of the teams most veteran and best players calling out younger players in practice.  It's the same situation.  You're saying that you have to be at Kobe of MJ level to call out your teammates for half-@$$ing it in practice?

Its not even close to the same situation! If Kobe or MJ had made a show of calling out teammates for half-@ssing it in practice to try to increase his leverage to force a trade, then we could talk.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #105 on: October 11, 2018, 10:04:18 AM »
I seem to remember a lot of posters here loving the story of a young Steve Wojciechowski pulling his High School Varsity basketball team back into their locker-room as a Freshman because he didn't like their lacks effort during warm-ups.  You don't have to be a superstar to call out poor effort.  This seems like a similar story, except the person doing the calling out is the teams best player.  What happened guys?  Jimmy too intense for ya?

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #106 on: October 11, 2018, 10:05:34 AM »
Its not even close to the same situation! If Kobe or MJ had made a show of calling out teammates for half-@ssing it in practice to try to increase his leverage to force a trade, then we could talk.

I think you got your timeline screwed up a bit.  By all accounts Wiggins hasn't gone full out in a practice since Jimmy got there.  Wiggins not giving it all was one of the reasons Jimmy requested a trade, not the other way around.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #107 on: October 11, 2018, 10:07:39 AM »
This thread has been fascinating. I am amazed by the amount of people on this site who have direct access to Timberwolves' practices and to KAT's bedroom.

Personally, I am not a fan of a lot of what JFB has done as a pro. I agree with others who have pointed out that you don't air your grievances and call out teammates in the media, you do that in private. I also question the "other players are slacking narrative." I believed it in Chicago, mostly because I love JFB. Now that its happening in a second locker room...I'm not so sure. When there's repeated problems I tend to look for the common denominator, in this case, that is JFB.

All that being said, I don't know how anyone couldn't love the story about him beating the first team with a bunch of 3rd stringers. That is the most badass thing to happen at a basketball practice that I have ever heard of. That's some Hoosiers sh*t. If that doesn't get you fired up I don't know what will.  That's totally going in the movie whenever he makes his Blind Side knockoff.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #108 on: October 11, 2018, 10:17:39 AM »
This thread has been fascinating. I am amazed by the amount of people on this site who have direct access to Timberwolves' practices and to KAT's bedroom.

Personally, I am not a fan of a lot of what JFB has done as a pro. I agree with others who have pointed out that you don't air your grievances and call out teammates in the media, you do that in private. I also question the "other players are slacking narrative." I believed it in Chicago, mostly because I love JFB. Now that its happening in a second locker room...I'm not so sure. When there's repeated problems I tend to look for the common denominator, in this case, that is JFB.

All that being said, I don't know how anyone couldn't love the story about him beating the first team with a bunch of 3rd stringers. That is the most badass thing to happen at a basketball practice that I have ever heard of. That's some Hoosiers sh*t. If that doesn't get you fired up I don't know what will.  That's totally going in the movie whenever he makes his Blind Side knockoff.

I am in complete agreement.

We have had posters here talk about Jimmy being the alpha dog. But, I'll go out on a limb here - a team will never win a title with JB as their best player. Emasculating the other stars on the team is not going to make them better - it will only cause a bigger rift. I took a lot of flack here when Love was traded to Cleveland for saying he was not a top 20 player when the generally accepted knowledge is that he was. Jimmy is a slightly better version of Love - he is able to be the leader/best player on a bad team.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #109 on: October 11, 2018, 10:23:24 AM »

We have had posters here talk about Jimmy being the alpha dog. But, I'll go out on a limb here - a team will never win a title with JB as their best player. Emasculating the other stars on the team is not going to make them better - it will only cause a bigger rift. I took a lot of flack here when Love was traded to Cleveland for saying he was not a top 20 player when the generally accepted knowledge is that he was. Jimmy is a slightly better version of Love - he is able to be the leader/best player on a bad team.

I'd agree with this prediction. Honestly I think Jimmy needs to be put on a team where hes clearly second or third best. Honestly being on a Warriors or OKC or LAL would be great for him. Sadly Wade was too old and too close to MU to properly teach Jimmy.
Maigh Eo for Sam

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #110 on: October 11, 2018, 10:25:05 AM »
First, she's a grown woman why is it Jimmys fault and not hers? She's the one who cheated on a relationship. Second has this been confirmed to be a girlfriend and not a NBA "groupie"?

As a "leader" on a team, you don't hookup (if that is what he did and I don't know if true) with a teammates girlfriend even if she is equally at fault.  Bad move, bad chemistry on the team.  These guys can get pretty much whomever they want, you just have to say no in that situation and get together with someone else.  If true, that shows bad leadership in my opinion.  It drives a wedge through the team.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #111 on: October 11, 2018, 10:25:43 AM »
Why was Jimmy Butler beloved his last two years at Marquette?   Because he competed fearlessly against bigger players, guarded 5 positions on the floor, didn't shy away from the big moments, and was generally the toughest SOB on the floor.    He had that in him then, and Buzz brought it out.   

Beloved by fans, or beloved by his teammates?  There is a difference.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #112 on: October 11, 2018, 10:29:54 AM »

Are you implying that MU players that didn't like JFB? Because with perhaps 1 or 2 exceptions this is 100% false.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #113 on: October 11, 2018, 10:31:35 AM »

in the least he got along with Lazar, DJO and Jae. I doubt Jamail Jones or Reggie Smith enjoyed him but there's certainly more than a few teammates that liked him.
Maigh Eo for Sam

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #114 on: October 11, 2018, 11:09:53 AM »

Being the Alpha Dog and being the best players aren't necessarily synonyms. Wade is the alpha dog on the Heat still, but he certainly isn't the best player. Wizards MJ was the alpha dog but wasn't the best player. Any team that has had Shaq had him as the best player but at least Wade and Kobe we both the alpha dogs on those respective teams. Hell, any of the Spurs teams, after the Admiral retired, had as the best player but Tony Parker or Pop were the alpha dogs. JFB is not a superstar, but that doesn't mean he can't be the leader.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #115 on: October 11, 2018, 11:24:13 AM »
But he has become a primary donna both on and off the court.

I'll take that over a secondary donna, or the always dreaded tertiary donna.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #116 on: October 11, 2018, 11:33:12 AM »

Tertiary Donna was the name of my high school band

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #117 on: October 11, 2018, 11:37:21 AM »

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #118 on: October 11, 2018, 11:40:38 AM »
This post didn't get enough recognition

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #119 on: October 11, 2018, 12:02:32 PM »
It is shifting goalposts.  You made the implication that JFB only cares about money by wanting a trade to teams that "Didn't even make the playoffs".  You then double down by saying that he wouldn't be teaming up with anyone, further implying that it's only about the money.  FYI, players choose to team up in new cities, the Miami Heat era for example.

No.  I am not saying he only cares about money.  I did say his claim that he only cares about WINNING is hollow because any of his preferred options will likely win fewer games than he would in Minnesota.  Even if I agreed with your summary is it shifting the goal posts to offer two different reasons for the same point to address your comment?  What if I said the same thing in two different ways?

You pointed out that those teams will have cap space and sign another star, such as Kyrie, for next season.  Fair point, but I said that’s far from certain looking a year out.  Also, he is on a very good lineup that is poised to win a lot of games right now, despite some deficiencies with the other two stars.  Sure, there is always the possibility that if he goes to any other team in the NBA they could build something better within a couple years, but it’s not like he is saying he’ll only go to the Warriors, Rockets or Celtics at any price.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #120 on: October 11, 2018, 12:36:46 PM »

It's true that a team is unlikely to win a title with Jimmy as its best player, but that has nothing to do with him emasculating others on the team.  MJ and Kobe did that on a daily basis and have a combined 11 rings.
With the exception of the 2004 Pistons, no team has won a title without at least one top 10 player on its roster in at least 40 years. JFB is really good, but not top 10 good.

Could you choose two less similar players than Jimmy and Kevin Love?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 01:58:53 PM by Pakuni »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #121 on: October 11, 2018, 01:22:38 PM »

Secondary spell check error.   Smdh.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #122 on: October 11, 2018, 01:46:37 PM »

Could you choose two less similar players than Jimmy and Kevin Love?

I wasn’t comparing them as players but rather their value or perceived value to a team.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #123 on: October 11, 2018, 02:10:16 PM »
Jimmy gives 100%, 100% off the time.  I don't want him holding back because there's media at the practice.  I want the same intensity on game 1, and game 82. 

http://www.espn.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/12016979/los-angeles-lakers-star-kobe-bryant-critical-teammates-heated-scrimmage

Kobe calling out players in practice and coaches praising him for his intensity.  I don't see a difference other than the level of superstar-dome between the players.  Jimmy felt disrespected by the front office and he's letting them know.  He can't control when the media shows up.

I think the story is that Jimmy called Rachel Nichols that he was willing to do an interview and she should come to MIN. So in a way, it was a little calculated I think.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #124 on: October 11, 2018, 02:17:57 PM »
Can we stop with this “swore at the owner” narrative. Multiple people have said it. He never swore at Glen Taylor. He actually reached out professionally a week or so ago to make sure everyone was aligned.

And there was no “f you” or “f off”, there was f-ing to add emphasis to a statement. And if you think dropping a few f bombs is “setting a poor example for younger players”, you’ve clearly never stepped foot near a college or professional playing surface. Clutch those pearls

Yeah, fookin', is commonly used as a noun, verb, adjective, or adverb. Won of da most versatile words in hour language, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

feedback