[Today at 09:45:23 PM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[Today at 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[Today at 08:47:22 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by Goose
[Today at 07:54:34 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: NCAA recent investigations  (Read 121389 times)

fjm

• All American
Re: NCAA recent investigations
« Reply #150 on: October 12, 2018, 06:50:51 PM »
https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/sports/fake-affairs-charger-driving-great-grandmas-300k-expense-accounts-inside-routine-day-hoops-trial-012320618.html?__twitter_impression=true

Haha wow that was a great read. I don’t know why MU isn’t trying this?

Kansas and all these guys clearly just paying anyone and everyone and no one takes any action. Sheesh.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #151 on: October 12, 2018, 11:52:59 PM »
So...there was only one Adidas school in for Stone, right? Which just means Adidas wouldn't meet his asking price to put him at Wisconsin?
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #152 on: October 13, 2018, 06:27:19 AM »
Haha wow that was a great read. I don’t know why MU isn’t trying this?

Kansas and all these guys clearly just paying anyone and everyone and no one takes any action. Sheesh.

Again, the FBI has asked the NCAA to wait. 

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #153 on: October 13, 2018, 09:22:31 AM »
The next round of trials don't begin until April 2019. That means at the earliest I'd think the NCAA would start looking into this in May or June. Not sure when this will all come out in the wash, but this was not a good week for Kansas or Arizona. From the Preston car issues to the De Sousa payments to Self having dinner with TJ Gassnola the night before he was inducted into the Hall of Fame, Kansas fans should be nervous.

For Arizona, no reasonable person could be expected to believe Adidas paid money to Ayton and he went to Arizona without money changing hands. Lots of smoke around the program. It sounds like they were offering money to everyone from Brian Bowen to Nas Little. I have no idea if there will be anything out before the season or if it impacts Mannion, but it does feel interesting that we lost marquee guards each of the past two seasons to the programs that are essentially at ground zero of this investigation.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #154 on: October 13, 2018, 10:55:24 AM »

Again, the FBI has asked the NCAA to wait.

The schools don't need to, though.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #155 on: October 13, 2018, 11:09:49 AM »
The schools don't need to, though.

There is no reason for them to do anything immediately.  They won't be penalized for lack of moral virtue.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #156 on: October 13, 2018, 11:17:50 AM »
There is no reason for them to do anything immediately.  They won't be penalized for lack of moral virtue.

Their Board of Trustees may differ if they are fulfilling their legal obligations, especially at these state run institutions. Sitting on their hands is a ridiculous excuse that politicians and taxpayers won't take lightly. 

UL's acted, why not others? If these coaches got a DUI, they would be put on leave.  Bribery, misuse of funds, racketeering?  Let's wait and see.  😂

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #157 on: October 13, 2018, 11:50:42 AM »
Their Board of Trustees may differ if they are fulfilling their legal obligations, especially at these state run institutions. Sitting on their hands is a ridiculous excuse that politicians and taxpayers won't take lightly. 

UL's acted, why not others? If these coaches got a DUI, they would be put on leave.  Bribery, misuse of funds, racketeering?  Let's wait and see.  😂

I hate to say this, but the politicians and taxpayers would be more offended if there favorite big state school put sanctions on themselves.  People really only care about rules and punishment when it is affecting someone else.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #158 on: October 13, 2018, 12:13:14 PM »
I hate to say this, but the politicians and taxpayers would be more offended if there favorite big state school put sanctions on themselves.  People really only care about rules and punishment when it is affecting someone else.

100% True. If MU was as guilty as AZ, KU, UofL, etc. there would be a large percentage of people on this board defending Wojo and the program and grasping to any shred of evidence that might cast doubt. Just look at a Louisville fan board and see the number of people who hate their BoD and believe UofL has never done anything wrong.

To me the potential bigger question is "is it worth cheating?" If the NCAA is going to go soft or the legal system allows the schools to get off easy, I'm of the opinion MU should cheat their ass off. Look at the benefits to UK, AZ, UofL, NCSt, OKSt, etc.; it more than outweighs the cost to those programs. Hell, Wisconsin is a habitual violator of NCAA rules and the people of Wisconsin think the school and teams walk on water. (not just picking on Wisconsin, the same happens in most small states that have their sense of self worth tied to the state school like Nebraska, Alabama, Oklahoma, etc.)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #159 on: October 13, 2018, 12:23:02 PM »

I too am not surprised, but under the bylaws of most colleges and universities, a board member has both legal and fiduciary responsibilities that can leave them culpable personally by inaction.  It's also election season and not all are so enthralled with sports and its  largesse.

https://www.boardeffect.com/blog/roles-responsibilities-board-directors-college-university/
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 12:46:53 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #160 on: October 13, 2018, 12:38:13 PM »
I could see Arizona firing Miller. But only because I've heard that he's not particularly beloved by many power players in Tucson. If they decide they want him gone,  they could use this as an excuse. But that's the only way I see that happening.

Self?  Naw, he untouchable unless the NCAA gets involved.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #161 on: October 13, 2018, 01:27:09 PM »
I could see Arizona firing Miller. But only because I've heard that he's not particularly beloved by many power players in Tucson. If they decide they want him gone,  they could use this as an excuse. But that's the only way I see that happening.

Self?  Naw, he untouchable unless the NCAA gets involved.

Not sure that is true. School went all in on him after the story broke. That was their opportunity to make a move if what you say is true and the BOT chose not too. He was greeted by huge ovation when he came back for first game in Tucson after the story. What college coach anywhere does not have some heavy hitters who dislike them. Goes with the gig.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 01:29:03 PM by 79Warrior »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #162 on: October 13, 2018, 02:06:34 PM »
Not sure that is true. School went all in on him after the story broke. That was their opportunity to make a move if what you say is true and the BOT chose not too. He was greeted by huge ovation when he came back for first game in Tucson after the story. What college coach anywhere does not have some heavy hitters who dislike them. Goes with the gig.

I didn't say all or that it was likely that he would fired. But there  is a portion of the fan base and boosters that aren't fans of Miller. Louisville embraced pitino after the cardinal rules scandal. One scandal later and he was gowne.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

jesmu84

• All American

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #164 on: October 15, 2018, 05:28:16 PM »

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #165 on: October 15, 2018, 08:12:48 PM »
The funny thing is Kansas hasn't won anything in a decade and Arizona has as many titles as Marquette.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #166 on: October 16, 2018, 07:59:00 AM »
The funny thing is Kansas hasn't won anything in a decade and Arizona has as many titles as Marquette.

Except for ten conference titles, a Final Four and a handful of Elite 8s.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #167 on: October 16, 2018, 08:03:26 AM »

To me the potential bigger question is "is it worth cheating?" If the NCAA is going to go soft or the legal system allows the schools to get off easy, I'm of the opinion MU should cheat their ass off. Look at the benefits to UK, AZ, UofL, NCSt, OKSt, etc.; it more than outweighs the cost to those programs. Hell, Wisconsin is a habitual violator of NCAA rules and the people of Wisconsin think the school and teams walk on water. (not just picking on Wisconsin, the same happens in most small states that have their sense of self worth tied to the state school like Nebraska, Alabama, Oklahoma, etc.)

Um, no.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #168 on: October 16, 2018, 08:07:04 AM »
100% True. If MU was as guilty as AZ, KU, UofL, etc. there would be a large percentage of people on this board defending Wojo and the program and grasping to any shred of evidence that might cast doubt. Just look at a Louisville fan board and see the number of people who hate their BoD and believe UofL has never done anything wrong.

Yes because nothing says standing up for your values more than purposefully cheating.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #170 on: October 16, 2018, 10:57:37 PM »
After catching up on today, it sure seems there's a LOT more stuff out there that wasn't admitted as evidence for this particular case. Which, if that "stuff" is anything like things we've heard, probably scares a LOT of coaches/people/players/programs.

Also, Coach K is either extremely accurate in saying this investigation is a "blip" (because he things/knows the NCAA isn't going to do anything to anyone) or he's 100% wrong. And I don't think there is an in-between.

https://sports.yahoo.com/coach-k-shows-college-basketballs-elite-thinks-hoops-corruption-trial-052601836.html

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #171 on: October 16, 2018, 11:22:00 PM »

Yes because nothing says standing up for your values more than purposefully cheating.

As an entrepreneur for most of my professional career. I've had multiple opportunities to "cheat the system" and enrich myself but chose not to. I've also been cheated out of a large sum of money by others who "played ball".  I guess my catholic upbringing was the reason I did such but I get angry at the way cheaters are rewarded.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #172 on: October 16, 2018, 11:38:34 PM »
Go big DePaul.  Go big.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #173 on: October 17, 2018, 06:29:35 AM »
We should be ready for the very realistic possibility Marquette gets mentioned at some point. I'm not sure any high major program should feel very confident in their innocence right now.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #174 on: October 17, 2018, 06:42:05 AM »
We should be ready for the very realistic possibility Marquette gets mentioned at some point. I'm not sure any high major program should feel very confident in their innocence right now.

I'd be more concerned if Michigan St was mentioned because they're the only top program we seem to be competing with consistenly for recruits.
 Maybe for offering? I don't think we've taken any high enough recruits to actually pay outside of Henry but I doubt we paid and took Wally to get him.
Maigh Eo for Sam

feedback