collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: "Your" Championship teams during your lifetime  (Read 12477 times)

warriorchick

• All American
Re: "Your" Championship teams during your lifetime
« Reply #75 on: August 04, 2018, 05:37:09 PM »
Brother Bagpiping Hurler, I don't think that's true. While I'll acknowledge it's kinda weird, school districts spend inordinate amounts of tax dollars so that a community can show its superiority over its neighbors by being able to more freely control a small piece of oblong shaped leather across a large grass field.

It's as if we're better than you and we can prove it because our football team beat you last week.

Go to Texas. They spend $100 million on high school football stadiums and equip them with skyboxes. Yeup, that's high school. Obscene.

In the community in which I grew up, I went to the only Roman Catholic High School in an overwhelmingly Protestant city. In those days, consistently whipping Protestant a*s on a football field was a mark of courage, of religious superiority and living proof that God herself really, really, really is Catholic. Every Catholic in town was duty bound under the threat of Mortal Sin and eternal damnation to attend our Friday night football games. They sort of did! At one point, our high school was so good we were playing in college stadiums and drawing 20,000 to 30,000 persons, some of whom may even have gone to heaven!

Of course, the day I set foot on the Marquette campus, I stopped caring one iota about my high school. Haven't cared since about its athletic teams. Two of my classmates are coaches there and I want them to do well, but that's their world, not mine.

I went to the same high school as Brother dgies. It has a pretty high percentage of folks (especially guys) who still follow their sports teams closely, but not alums wiho went to colleges with high D1 sports programs.  At our school, probably about 10 percent went to the University of Tennessee and half or more went to mid or low majors (Middle Tennessee, Tennessee Tech, Western Kentucky, etc.). Also, back in our day (for the record, he is much older  ;D), there were no major league sports in our city, so who else are you going to cheer for?
Have some patience, FFS.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #76 on: August 04, 2018, 08:52:36 PM »

Bad Boys 1989 and 1990. It was a long climb to beat Boston then LA

This one spurred a fun memory.  Back in 1989, I had a client, Guardian Industries, a glass manufacturer based in Detroit, that was owned by Bill Davidson, who also happened to own the Pistons and controlled the newly built Palace at Auburn Hills (I think he also owned the NHL Tampa Bay Lightning).

They flew me in from Houston for a visit, including a personal tour of a glass plant and of The Palace, with the Guardian CFO.  The Palace was new and had many state of art innovations...a very interesting visit. We concluded by relaxing  in the empty stands...and wow...the Pistons were beginning a practice prior to the Boston series.  Suddenly a whistle blows....everything stops...Chuck Daly called a guy over, whispered, and the guy hiked up to where we sat.  He says Coach Daly is fearful we might be Celtic spies.  We assuaged the concern, and I got a Daly smile and wave out of it.  The Bad Boys were special.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 08:58:52 PM by houwarrior »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #77 on: August 04, 2018, 09:35:07 PM »
Not sure what you mean by this.  My memory of the 1984 baseball season stopped after Game 2 of the NLDS.  Except for my completely immature 14 year old self ripping Cubs stuff off my bedroom wall, I don't remember anything else about the rest of that season

Loved the Tigers in the ‘87 ALCS. Smoltz traded for mighty Doyle.. who went 0-2 against us. Great series for the g-man
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #78 on: August 04, 2018, 09:36:51 PM »
Also, back in our day (for the record, he is much older  ;D), there were no major league sports in our city, so who else are you going to cheer for?

Sister Chick is a  wonderful Marquette fan and like me an expatriate Tennessean. She also has an unusual perspective on the quantification of "much."

She's a CPA. She should know better!!!!!   8-)

MU82

• All American
« Reply #79 on: August 05, 2018, 01:53:22 PM »
Loved the Tigers in the ‘87 ALCS. Smoltz traded for mighty Doyle.. who went 0-2 against us. Great series for the g-man

I have never been in a louder sports facility than the Metrodome when Hrbek hit his Game 6 grand slam.

Apropos of nothing, that also was the last day WS game ever.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Goose

• All American
« Reply #80 on: August 06, 2018, 09:49:44 AM »
I forgot, my "real" favorite championships were my daughter winning three state championships in soccer and my son winning one in hockey. My son's was the school's first championship playing against all schools in the state. They had won a couple prior in private school division. Even better was a school of 250 beating three schools at state with over 2k in student body.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #81 on: August 06, 2018, 11:13:21 AM »
Not sure what you mean by this.  My memory of the 1984 baseball season stopped after Game 2 of the NLDS.  Except for my completely immature 14 year old self ripping Cubs stuff off my bedroom wall, I don't remember anything else about the rest of that season

Everyone in Detroit was so jacked up for a Tigers/Cubs series. In fact, there was a "what if World Series" that aired on the radio a few months laster.  The Tigers and Cubs announcers alternated calling this fictional game 7 which the Tigers won on a walk-off. 
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #82 on: August 06, 2018, 11:18:14 AM »
This one spurred a fun memory.  Back in 1989, I had a client, Guardian Industries, a glass manufacturer based in Detroit, that was owned by Bill Davidson, who also happened to own the Pistons and controlled the newly built Palace at Auburn Hills (I think he also owned the NHL Tampa Bay Lightning).

They flew me in from Houston for a visit, including a personal tour of a glass plant and of The Palace, with the Guardian CFO.  The Palace was new and had many state of art innovations...a very interesting visit. We concluded by relaxing  in the empty stands...and wow...the Pistons were beginning a practice prior to the Boston series.  Suddenly a whistle blows....everything stops...Chuck Daly called a guy over, whispered, and the guy hiked up to where we sat.  He says Coach Daly is fearful we might be Celtic spies.  We assuaged the concern, and I got a Daly smile and wave out of it.  The Bad Boys were special.

Yes, Davidson also owned the Lighting (which is how Yzerman ended up the GM there).  Davidson and two others built the Palace with private funds - $90 million at the time. Probably one of the last NBA arenas to be completely privately funded.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #83 on: August 06, 2018, 03:33:10 PM »
Yes, Davidson also owned the Lighting (which is how Yzerman ended up the GM there).  Davidson and two others built the Palace with private funds - $90 million at the time. Probably one of the last NBA arenas to be completely privately funded.
Davidson also owned a very nice hotel in Birmingham...I was told my suite previously was occupied by Michael Jackson for a fall 88 concert...very very upscale....

(now...for the made up part:)...but then I found this sequined glove just laying on the floor....I should have returned it,  as Michael had to go with just one thereafter lol
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #84 on: August 06, 2018, 08:15:49 PM »
Not that I have memory of all of this although I do certainly remember the Ice Bowl.

Packers:  1961, 1962, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1996, 2010

Bears: 1985 (Moved to Chicago in 1984 and they became my 'second' team.)

Bucks: 1971

Bulls: 1991, 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998  (I probably still cheer for the Bulls more than the Bucks.)

Hawks: 2010, 2013, 2015

Marquette: 1977

Sox: 2005 (Yeah, I actively cheered for them but would never over the Crew)

Cubs: I didn't cheer against them and was happy for all my friends but no, I can't claim that.

And one more:  The 1977 Thomas More Cavaliers football team.  Magical night at Titan Stadium.  When you're a teen and absolutely know you're the best it's pretty special.  Milwaukee Boys Tech?  We warmed up against those clowns in non-con earlier in the year like they were a November basketball buy game.  As to HS after one graduates, I agree with others here and don't follow my school at all.  I also think it's different if you're a student in the stands rather than one on the actual field.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 11:56:18 PM by jsglow »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #85 on: August 06, 2018, 08:24:43 PM »
I was a cubs fan prior to arrive g at Marquette as a freshman in the autumn of 1984.  Looking forward to a Tigers Cubs   world Series.  Until I met cubs fans.  Within a week, I wanted the cubs to lose because of their fans.   I was hanging out with some Mets fans when the ball went through Durham's legs.  We cheered so loud that our RA, a Cubs fan, wrote us up.
The 85 Bears added to my loathing of Chicago teams.   Michael v the Bad Boys sealed it forever.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 08:37:12 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #86 on: August 06, 2018, 08:34:42 PM »
I was a cubs fan prior to arrive g at Marquette as a freshman in the autumn of 1984.  Looking forward to a Tigers Cu s world Series.  Until I met cubs fans.  Within a week, I wanted the cubs to lose because of their fans.   I was hanging out with some Mets fans when the ball went through Durham's legs.  We cheered so loud that our RA, a Cubs fan, wrote us up.
The 85 Bears added to my loathing of Chicago teams.   Michael v the Bad Boys sealed it forever.

Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #87 on: August 06, 2018, 09:37:17 PM »
I was a cubs fan prior to arrive g at Marquette as a freshman in the autumn of 1984.  Looking forward to a Tigers Cubs   world Series.  Until I met cubs fans.  Within a week, I wanted the cubs to lose because of their fans.   I was hanging out with some Mets fans when the ball went through Durham's legs.  We cheered so loud that our RA, a Cubs fan, wrote us up.

I was a relatively recent graduate living in Madison and working in my first job in 1984. I was agnostic about the Cubbies ... until all of a sudden everybody was a Cubbie fan. It was nauseating.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #88 on: August 06, 2018, 10:10:59 PM »
I understand not all of us Cub fans are the most hospitable.

As a Packer fan who lived in Illinois during the Super Bowl Shuffle Era I couldn't agree more about Bear fans.

But, Michael vs. the Bad Boys sealed it???  What the...??  Do you root for the Grinch against the Whos?  Do you for Drago vs Rocky?  You were rooting for the USSR vs the 1980 hockey team too, weren't you!

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #89 on: August 06, 2018, 11:19:40 PM »
I was agnostic about the Cubbies ... until all of a sudden everybody was a Cubbie fan. It was nauseating.

Welcome to Cubfandom 101.

The real baseball fans in Illinois are loyal. They expect their team to win. And while the team does not always win every year, wanting to win is an important attribute of a good baseball fan. Getting restless when your team is .500 or worse is a sign of expectation.

Cub fans understand not word of this. Yeup, the Cubs are good right now and we, the real baseball fans of Illinois, can appreciate it and truly hate it at the same time. We know that you can put the Lakeview Little League on the field at Wrigley and draw 30,000 people. Most true Cub fans probably would not know the difference. Heck, half of yesterday's attendance at Wrigley probably doesn't know the difference between a baseball bat and an iPhone.

We real baseball fans in Illinois wear RED!

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #90 on: August 06, 2018, 11:30:38 PM »

The real baseball fans in Illinois are loyal. They expect their team to win. And while the team does not always win every year, wanting to win is an important attribute of a good baseball fan. Getting restless when your team is .500 or worse is a sign of expectation.

Cub fans understand not word of this. Yeup, the Cubs are good right now and we, the real baseball fans of Illinois, can appreciate it and truly hate it at the same time. We know that you can put the Lakeview Little League on the field at Wrigley and draw 30,000 people. Most true Cub fans probably would not know the difference. Heck, half of yesterday's attendance at Wrigley probably doesn't know the difference between a baseball bat and an iPhone.

top 5 worst sports fan bases in the world:

1 cubs and it’s not even close
2 vadgers
3 cardinals
4 notre dame
5 viqueens

though the brewers fans might jump to 1 for giving a guy a standing ovation for being a racist.

MUBBau

• Team Captain
« Reply #91 on: August 08, 2018, 08:35:28 AM »
Does a 2006 CBE Championship* count?

*beat #9 Duke

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #92 on: August 08, 2018, 09:08:48 AM »

You were doing so good until your last sentence.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #93 on: August 08, 2018, 09:36:02 AM »
top 5 worst sports fan bases in the world:

1 cubs and it’s not even close
2 vadgers
3 cardinals
4 notre dame
5 viqueens

though the brewers fans might jump to 1 for giving a guy a standing ovation for being a racist.

Google Cubs versus Brewers fan fights and all the top hits are at Miller Park, none at Wrigley.  Maybe that is because half the Wrigley Cubs are not really Cubs fans, thus no fights there?  <smh>

The Brewers have their share of fans who are also drunken knobs, bussed in from the Hinterlands to tailgate in the parking lot to enter the stadium in the third inning to showcase their machismo over FIBs. My personal favorite was some tool who was screaming and accosting twin 6 year old Cub fans getting ice cream by themselves...that they were going to grow up gay because they were Cubs fans. Of course, when I stepped in to tell this genius to take a hike, he wanted to fight me. Yes, the Brewers fans are classy too.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #94 on: August 08, 2018, 09:42:19 AM »
The Brewers have their share of fans who are also drunken knobs, bussed in from the Hinterlands to tailgate in the parking lot to enter the stadium in the third inning to showcase their machismo over FIBs. My personal favorite was some tool who was screaming and accosting twin 6 year old Cub fans getting ice cream by themselves...that they were going to grow up gay because they were Cubs fans. Of course, when I stepped in to tell this genius to take a hike, he wanted to fight me. Yes, the Brewers fans are classy too.

Good on you for stepping in. I had a similar experience at a Lions' game. It was the Thanksgiving game between the Packers and Lions with the infamous Suh stomp. Was cussed at, shoved, called homophobic things, and even had a beer dumped on me. I was in my 20s at the time so I was fine, but I went with my 9 year old cousin who caught all  the same abuse. The willingness of some people to attack other fans, even children, is truly the most despicable side of sport fandom.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #95 on: August 08, 2018, 09:56:44 AM »
Google Cubs versus Brewers fan fights and all the top hits are at Miller Park, none at Wrigley.  Maybe that is because half the Wrigley Cubs are not really Cubs fans, thus no fights there?  <smh>

Cubs fans would never verbally or physically attack any fans, ever!

Totally unrelated, what's the status on Steve Bartman?  Has he been able to come out of hiding yet?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #96 on: August 08, 2018, 11:13:04 AM »
Cubs fans would never verbally or physically attack any fans, ever!

Totally unrelated, what's the status on Steve Bartman?  Has he been able to come out of hiding yet?

Good deflection. Yes, only Cubs fans are obnoxious.

Also, thanks for also getting us back on topic:  Steve Bartman has a World Series ring.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #97 on: August 08, 2018, 12:22:19 PM »
Good deflection. Yes, only Cubs fans are obnoxious.

Also, thanks for also getting us back on topic:  Steve Bartman has a World Series ring.

I'm not the one claiming you only find videos of fans fighting in Miller Park, not at Wrigley.

Sorry, I was just curious about Bartman.  Had heard they were trying to invite him back to Wrigley but he had no interest in being back in the public eye?  Wasn't sure if he was able to go back outside again or not yet.  Glad he got a WS ring, big time contributor!  Don't think the Cubs get that elusive WS without Steve Bartman.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 12:24:15 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #98 on: August 08, 2018, 12:30:17 PM »
I'm not the one claiming you only find videos of fans fighting in Miller Park, not at Wrigley.

Well, I quoted a poster who claimed Cubs fans are the worst and it isn't even close.  My point is each team has their fair share of drunken idiots, including the Brewers.  As a Cubs and Brewers fan (still pissed at Selig for switching leagues) and a Brewers' season ticket holder, there are plenty of numb nuts at Miller Park not wearing Cubbie Blue.

That said, Cubs-Brewers is a peace march compared to Red Sox-Yankees. 

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #99 on: August 08, 2018, 12:42:11 PM »
Well, I quoted a poster who claimed Cubs fans are the worst and it isn't even close.  My point is each team has their fair share of drunken idiots, including the Brewers.  As a Cubs and Brewers fan (still pissed at Selig for switching leagues) and a Brewers' season ticket holder, there are plenty of numb nuts at Miller Park not wearing Cubbie Blue.

That said, Cubs-Brewers is a peace march compared to Red Sox-Yankees.
You're not welcome here with your "open mindedness" and "gray area" talk. We only speak in extremes here my friend!  Everyone is either an angel or devil, nothing in between.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 01:34:26 PM by MUEng92 »