[Today at 02:32:03 PM]

Marquette Football Update by TallTitan34
[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: "Your" Championship teams during your lifetime  (Read 12463 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: "Your" Championship teams during your lifetime
« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2018, 09:33:12 PM »

I stopped caring about what my high school did in sports the day I left the place.

Regardless there are a few minor ones, but the only ones that I truly care about and remember are the Packers and the Warriors.

Out of curiosity why is that? Did you spend extensively more time at MU than HS? Is it because society frowns on those who still are fans of their HS? Just curious as while I don't care nearly as much as MU I still try to make the OPRF vs Fenwick basketball game annually and support my alma mater.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2018, 10:36:54 PM »
Yankees: 1947, 1949-1953, 1956, 1958, 1961-62, 1977-78, 1996, 1998-2000 and 2009
MU: 1970 NIT and 1977 NCAA
Mets: 1969, 1986
Jets: 1969
Giants: 1956, 1986, 1991 and 2008
Knicks: 1x
Rangers: 2x

I guess I could have thrown in the Islanders and Devils, but have been a New York fan most of my life. I root for the Mets and Jets except when they play the Yanks or the Giants respectively.

This is like saying "Next to Marquette my favorite college basketball team is the Badgers."

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2018, 02:13:26 AM »
Out of curiosity why is that? Did you spend extensively more time at MU than HS? Is it because society frowns on those who still are fans of their HS? Just curious as while I don't care nearly as much as MU I still try to make the OPRF vs Fenwick basketball game annually and support my alma mater.

I think a lot of things make a person care more about their college than your HS.

You personally have a lot more input, if not all the input, on where you are going to college, where as HS you have little to none.
In the real world people ask what college you went to, re-enforcing that connection
College Sports makes it much easier to stay connected to your University if you move away, especially areas with alumni groups.
On your resume you are not listing HS classes, GPA, and achievements

I'm not saying having a connection to your HS is a bad thing and you shouldn't go back, there are just more permanent connections to your college and if you don't move back to your hometown there are very few connections to your HS.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2018, 08:18:01 AM »
I'm dumb, but I tried posting that internet pic of Triple H holding literally every title belt. Always makes me laugh.

Got you covered.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2018, 08:29:28 AM »
Got you covered.

Perfect, even though I've seen it before, still made me laugh.

Stronghold

• All American
« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2018, 09:20:41 AM »
Born in '89.  Hoping my next ~30 years are better than my first.

Packers: '96, '11
Marquette: 0
Brewers: 0
Wild: 0
Bucks: 0

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2018, 12:01:48 PM »
It's been surprising to see how many people on here have favorite teams each from a variety of cities and how many adopted a team now considered to be their "own" based on where they moved. Not saying it's good, bad or otherwise (although, there are clearly some bandwagoners on here  ;)).

My picking of teams weren't based too much on geography.
I grew up in southwestern CT which is mostly NY but some Boston in terms of fandom.  I decided on the Red Sox as a 7 year old (despite my Dad and both older brothers being Yankees fans) and the Jets (my Dad was a Lions fan and my brothers are Browns and Cowboys fans) and the Lakers (Dad didn't follow basketball and my brothers were Lakers fans).  I have stuck with those teams since 1969 or so except I gave up on the Lakers because there was something about rooting for Kobe Bryant I couldn't abide.  When Shaq joined Wade in Miami I just naturally found myself rooting for them.  Now I don't really have an NBA team but hope for the best for the Marquette guys.  I wouldn't call an NBA champion "mine" anymore.

My son's sense of humor as a little 5 year old kid was to get my goat so he liked to root against my teams because he thought it was funny.  The Indians were playing the Red Sox in the ALDS around then so he started rooting for the Indians and the Broncos played the Jets in the AFC championship around the same time.  To his credit he has stuck with those teams and he is now in his 20s.  He likes basketball, but doesn't have a favorite team, though he roots for Marquette despite going to college elsewhere. 
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2018, 12:12:07 PM »
Arrowhead HS Football: 1993, 1994, 1996, 2007, 2012, 2013
[

Whoa, whoa, whoa... there is someone from the U on this board?  How did I not realize or at least remember this?  My youngest daughter is about to start her senior year there.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2018, 12:30:57 PM »
This is like saying "Next to Marquette my favorite college basketball team is the Badgers."

My favorite team next to Marquette is the Badgers.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2018, 12:56:19 PM »
Marquette - 1977
White Sox - 2005
Bears - 1985 (wasn't a Bear's fan when they won in 1963)
Bulls and Blackhawks whenever

In order of importance.

same, but I can't include MU though I loved that team.  I was a (erp) DePaul fan in the late 70's.

Almost foorgot:  plus the Cardinals in '82 (over the Harvey's Wallbangers) and '85
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 12:58:29 PM by LloydsLegs »

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #60 on: August 02, 2018, 01:20:50 PM »
same, but I can't include MU though I loved that team.  I was a (erp) DePaul fan in the late 70's.

Almost foorgot:  plus the Cardinals in '82 (over the Harvey's Wallbangers) and '85

<puts on ignore list>

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #61 on: August 02, 2018, 01:27:50 PM »
Astros 17'
Warriors 18'
Capitols 18'
Philly 18'

What a year it's been for my fandom. Truly blessed.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #62 on: August 02, 2018, 01:46:51 PM »
It's been surprising to see how many people on here have favorite teams each from a variety of cities and how many adopted a team now considered to be their "own" based on where they moved. Not saying it's good, bad or otherwise (although, there are clearly some bandwagoners on here  ;)).

I certainly fall into this category.

I grew up in SW Colorado, so I was a Broncos fan.  At the time, there was no baseball team in Colorado, so I was technically "teamless."  But, I was a huge baseball fan.  In the late 70s I had a paper route where I delivered papers in the local hospital.  One of the nurses was from KC, and was a huge Royals fan.  Every day we'd look at the Royals box score and it just stuck with me.  I didn't really care much about basketball at the time, so never cared about the Nuggets.

Then I went to Marquette and became a basketball fan.  After Marquette, I moved to Cleveland, and I've been here 27 years.  In that time, I've pretty much adopted the local teams, but still have sentimental affection for my childhood favorites.

For obvious reasons, football has presented a bit of a special case.  I was starting to warm up to the Browns...and then they left.  The first two Broncos championships happened right around that time.  Then, after the Browns returned, I started to warm up to them again.  I don't remember the year (looking at historical schedules, probably 2006 or 2008) but during one game between the Browns and Broncos I realized that I was rooting for the Browns.  I surprised myself.  But, it's been really hard to root for the Browns lately (although I do), so I'm still holding on to the Broncos.  If that makes me a bandwagoner...well, I guess I'm guilty as charged.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #63 on: August 02, 2018, 02:23:06 PM »

Capitols 18'

Some fan.  ;)
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #64 on: August 02, 2018, 02:37:07 PM »

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #65 on: August 02, 2018, 03:00:41 PM »

I think its easier now to stay a fan after you move, what with national broadcasts and everything streaming online, but theres just something about being around other fans of your team that helps.  I was a huge Red Sox fan as a kid and in my teens, but the longer I spent out of New England, the more attached I grew to the teams I got to see everyday and the more distant I became from the teams I cheered for as a kid.

Kids these days though have minimal "regional" loyalty.  I am amazed by how few kids (and adults) where I teach cheer for the local teams.  There's a good Chicago influence in Racine so there are Bulls and Cubs fans to go with the Packer, Brewer, and Bucks fans, but there are a ton of kids whose favorites are the Falcons or Cowboys or Warriors.  It's mostly the big name teams that are on national tv a lot or those that get a lot of play on social media, but its still surprising.  The most common excuse I hear is "they were good when I started watching, so they became my team."

PS...forgot one on my list earlier: 2000 Hartford Wolf Pack Calder Cup.  Those were my guys.  Game 1 of the championship series is up there with seeing the Brewers clinch (twice) and a Packer playoff game for my favorite in person sports memories.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #66 on: August 02, 2018, 03:15:44 PM »
PS...forgot one on my list earlier: 2000 Hartford Wolf Pack Calder Cup.  Those were my guys.  Game 1 of the championship series is up there with seeing the Brewers clinch (twice) and a Packer playoff game for my favorite in person sports memories.

What about seeing Marquette knocking off #1 Villanova? Oh....that's right  ;D
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #67 on: August 02, 2018, 03:32:17 PM »

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #68 on: August 02, 2018, 06:07:18 PM »

I was dubious of this...until...

Astros 17'
Warriors 18'
Capitols 18'
Philly 18'

Jumping on the Warriors in 18 for the first time ....after Warriors already had two champs in prior 3 years...seems classic front running bandwagon.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 06:14:07 PM by houwarrior »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #69 on: August 03, 2018, 02:42:38 AM »
I was dubious of this...until...
Jumping on the Warriors in 18 for the first time ....after Warriors already had two champs in prior 3 years...seems classic front running bandwagon.

Perhaps you missed the sarcasm?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #70 on: August 03, 2018, 07:17:42 AM »
Whoa, whoa, whoa... there is someone from the U on this board?  How did I not realize or at least remember this?  My youngest daughter is about to start her senior year there.

Class of 1995. The first two state titles were my junior and senior years. I don't get back often, so when I do, I'm amazed how that campus has grown. We always had the student base but now the facilities really do look like a small college.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #71 on: August 04, 2018, 08:03:35 AM »
Born in  the 1950s

Packers:  1961, 1962, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1996, 2010 Near misses in 1997.
Cardinals  1964, 1967, 1982, 2008, 2011; Near misses in 1968, 1985, 1987, 2004 (sort of), 2013.
Marquette 1977. Near misses in 1974 and 2003.
I'm a Bears season ticket holder and have seen one Super Bowl team since I obtained tickets in 1995. I've been going long enough to remember the 1985 Bears, but I was not a season ticket holder then.
P.S. -- 1985 did not turn out the way we hoped but that home run by Ozzie was something special.

I know being a Cardinal nauseates people (too bad), but it happened because I grew up in Tennessee in an era before the Braves moved to Atlanta. The Cardinals were  up and down in the 1960s and the players were interesting people to follow and learn about. After the Braves left Milwaukee, there was no way I could ever be a Braves fan. Ever.

I've been to Atlanta many times but only been to a Braves game once -- in 1982. What the Braves did to Milwaukee was disgusting. And, as for being a Cub fan, like my Dad, NO WAY NO HOW! NO! Never, ever, never.

The rest -- the Packers and Marquette -- happened because my family is from Wisconsin. My father liked the Packers probably because they were a link to home and Marquette occurred because my Dad was an MU Engineering grad. When Marquette was on television in the 1960s and early 1970s, nothing else happened. Heck, the TV was even left on during dinner a few times if Marquette was on while dinner was being served (to the chagrin of my Mom). My Dad, my brothers and I or my Dad and Mom would travel to Marquette games when they were nearby. That's how that happened, long before I ever got to Marquette.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #72 on: August 04, 2018, 08:17:43 AM »
Out of curiosity why is that? Did you spend extensively more time at MU than HS? Is it because society frowns on those who still are fans of their HS?

Brother Bagpiping Hurler, I don't think that's true. While I'll acknowledge it's kinda weird, school districts spend inordinate amounts of tax dollars so that a community can show its superiority over its neighbors by being able to more freely control a small piece of oblong shaped leather across a large grass field.

It's as if we're better than you and we can prove it because our football team beat you last week.

Go to Texas. They spend $100 million on high school football stadiums and equip them with skyboxes. Yeup, that's high school. Obscene.

In the community in which I grew up, I went to the only Roman Catholic High School in an overwhelmingly Protestant city. In those days, consistently whipping Protestant a*s on a football field was a mark of courage, of religious superiority and living proof that God herself really, really, really is Catholic. Every Catholic in town was duty bound under the threat of Mortal Sin and eternal damnation to attend our Friday night football games. They sort of did! At one point, our high school was so good we were playing in college stadiums and drawing 20,000 to 30,000 persons, some of whom may even have gone to heaven!

Of course, the day I set foot on the Marquette campus, I stopped caring one iota about my high school. Haven't cared since about its athletic teams. Two of my classmates are coaches there and I want them to do well, but that's their world, not mine.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 08:21:08 AM by dgies9156 »

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #73 on: August 04, 2018, 10:43:21 AM »
Detroit Tigers 1984. Thought it was the first of many. Doh!
Bad Boys 1989 and 1990. It was a long climb to beat Boston then LA
Michigan 1989 NCAA hoops title. Rumeal Robinson: cold blooded
Red Wings 1997 was the most satisfying of the four.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #74 on: August 04, 2018, 05:29:24 PM »
Detroit Tigers 1984.
Not sure what you mean by this.  My memory of the 1984 baseball season stopped after Game 2 of the NLDS.  Except for my completely immature 14 year old self ripping Cubs stuff off my bedroom wall, I don't remember anything else about the rest of that season