Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 11:07:17 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 10:35:42 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Viper
[Today at 10:34:23 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Full Home Non-Conference Schedule Announced  (Read 18253 times)

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
Full Home Non-Conference Schedule Announced
« on: July 30, 2018, 10:29:37 AM »
10/30: Carroll University (Exhibition)
11/6: UMBC
11/10: Bethune Cookman (Preseason NIT)
11/17: Presbyterian
11/27: Charleston Southern
12/1: Kansas State
12/4: UTEP
12/8: Wisconsin
12/18: North Dakota
12/21: Buffalo
12/28: Southern

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
Re: Full Home Non-Conference Schedule Announced
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 10:42:04 AM »
No road games?
I understand the title, wondering if we have any non con
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 10:43:37 AM »
No road games?
I understand the title, wondering if we have any non con

At Indiana, two games in NYC.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 10:44:24 AM »
Respectable schedule but anything less than undefeated at home in non-conf would be disappointing.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 10:46:17 AM »
Respectable schedule but anything less than undefeated at home in non-conf would be disappointing.

K-State is a top 10 team.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 10:48:10 AM »
Go 4-2 against K-State, I4, UW, Buffalo, and NIT.  Win everything else, and we'll be ranked and in very good shape come Big East play.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2018, 10:49:01 AM »
A quick look and is it 4 Saturday games and a couple of Friday night games?  If so, great!  I like it.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2018, 11:25:51 AM »
Buthune Cookman and Presbyterian are poor adds.  Both project to be sub 300 teams.  Buthune Cookman was given by the Preseason NIT, Marquette schedule Presbyterian.

North Dakota and Charleston Southern are meh.  They should be in the mid 200s, and are fine buy games. 

Looks like Marquette will have at least 3 sub 300 RPI teams on the non con schedule including Southern.  Really just no excuse for having more than 1, and we've seen what these games can do to a team's RPI.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2018, 11:30:03 AM »
K-State is a top 10 team.

K-State had a nice tourney run and brings everyone back, but they were a middle of the pack Big 12 team who ended up a 9-seed in the NCAAT. If Marquette wants to be a solid tourney team this season, that's a home game they should win.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2018, 11:33:55 AM »
One positive...they're actually playing the 13 noncon games they're allowed to play this season for this first time in.....4 seasons?

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2018, 12:08:58 PM »
Buthune Cookman and Presbyterian are poor adds.  Both project to be sub 300 teams.  Buthune Cookman was given by the Preseason NIT, Marquette schedule Presbyterian.

North Dakota and Charleston Southern are meh.  They should be in the mid 200s, and are fine buy games. 

Looks like Marquette will have at least 3 sub 300 RPI teams on the non con schedule including Southern.  Really just no excuse for having more than 1, and we've seen what these games can do to a team's RPI.

Since this seems to happen every year in Wojo's tenure, can we say it pretty much fits his philosophy at this point? I'm not very well informed on who drives the scheduling of these games, but I'm assuming there must be an underlying philosophy as to why the schedule consists of teams like that. I'm assuming that a part of it is that the sub 300 teams are cheaper to bring in.

Other teams, even in our conference, don't tend to feast as much on the sub 300 teams. (I haven't looked at their schedules yet so maybe they are feasting on them this year, just that it seems to be a trend)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 12:12:56 PM by D'Lo Brown »

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2018, 12:15:32 PM »
Since this seems to happen every year in Wojo's tenure, can we say it pretty much fits his philosophy at this point? I'm not very well informed on who drives the scheduling of these games, but I'm assuming there must be an underlying philosophy as to why the schedule consists of teams like that. I'm assuming that a part of it is that the sub 300 teams are cheaper to bring in.

Other teams, even in our conference, don't tend to feast as much on the sub 300 teams. (I haven't looked at their schedules yet so maybe they are feasting on them this year, just that it seems to be a trend)
Its always that way.  Its about $$$$.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2018, 12:17:44 PM »

Well Bethune Cookman was assigned to us, no control, and every year, Wojo (or whoever is in change of scheduling) has always had a 300 rpi game between Christmas and the start of conference play.  Its a time when players aren't always the most focused and need a tune up game before more important and more difficult games come flying fast.  Presbyterian is a poor choice, but the other two are either out of our control, or follow Wojo's trends in years past. 

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2018, 12:17:47 PM »

No choice on Cookman, preseason not game.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2018, 12:26:03 PM »
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 12:28:13 PM by Mr. Nielsen »
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

MU Buff

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2018, 12:26:36 PM »
@MarquetteMBB
"Event operators unable to secure 4th home game, so Nov. 17 no longer part of Preseason NIT. #mubb received waiver to schedule on own."

I'm guessing there wasn't much to choose from this late in the year.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2018, 12:32:24 PM »
@MarquetteMBB
"Event operators unable to secure 4th home game, so Nov. 17 no longer part of Preseason NIT. #mubb received waiver to schedule on own."

I'm guessing there wasn't much to choose from this late in the year.

I was wondering if something like this had happened. Preseason NIT bracket announcement has been delayed, our schedule came out late, we got screwed. I kind of wish we just didn't schedule a game if the best option was Presbyterian.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2018, 12:43:37 PM »
No choice on Cookman, preseason not game.

If you actually read the post, I said that.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2018, 12:55:33 PM »
Talk about pickin the fly s#it out of the pepper guys!!

With this schedule MU will end the season with one of the strongest SOS in the nation.  Yet some are complaining about BC , southern and presbyterian? 

My goodness.

Pretty sad. 

Nothing else really needs to be said, but  here i go...every coach is going to want a few cup cakes in there.  It gives a team a chance to stack some wins and gives the guys that might not get a ton of time at IU, or versus the kansas schools, etc an opportunity to get some extended run in real game situations.
Take the 300s out and add 200 or 100s in their place and MU ends up with one of the hardest schedules in the country by not a close margin.  Why in the hell would they want to do that??? Get a grip ignorant complainers!! 
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 12:58:26 PM by Mr. Sand-Knit »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2018, 12:57:45 PM »
Man I already said this but we got screwed by the Preseason NIT. We were supposed to get two games against top 200 type opponents. Instead we got one game against a possible sub-300 team and no second game leaving us to scramble at the last minute.

This could end being a rough schedule. We've got 6 really tough games, all of which are loseable (but also winnable too). Then you got 7 games that don't help your computer numbers, and 5 of them have potential to really hurt your computer numbers.

Presbyterian and Southern will be among the 25 worst teams in college basketball and will hurt no matter what. UTEP and Bethune Cookman could end up being sub 300. UTEP will finish near the bottom of their conference which really hurts RPI. Bethune Cookman might end up being okay. I think they will finish near the top of the MEAC and rack up a good W/L record. North Dakota will be mid 200s but look like they will be one of the bottom teams in the Summit. Charleston Southern and UMBC are the only two that I think are okay buy games and they don't help, they just don't hurt.

All of that being said, it won't matter as long as Marquette wins. Win the 7 lower games and go 4-2 in the 6 big games and they are in very good position. Even 3-3 and they should be solid. But if they go 2-4 or worse, will need to come up big in Big East play.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 01:01:19 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2018, 01:01:46 PM »
I am surprised that SOS wouldn't use the typical number of games that nearly every team plays in a season (let's say 30 just for grins), and if you play 32, for example, you drop the 2 lowest-rated teams before the SOS is calculated.  Why should a team be penalized for playing extra games?

Have some patience, FFS.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2018, 01:03:30 PM »
Man I already said this but we got screwed by the Preseason NIT. We were supposed to get two games against top 200 type opponents. Instead we got one game against a possible sub-300 team and no second game leaving us to scramble at the last minute.

This could end being a rough schedule. We've got 6 really tough games, all of which are loseable (but also winnable too). Then you got 6 games that don't help your computer numbers, and 5 of them have potential to really hurt your computer numbers.

Presbyterian and Southern will be among the 25 worst teams in college basketball and will hurt no matter what. UTEP and Bethune Cookman could end up being sub 300. UTEP will finish near the bottom of their conference which really hurts RPI. Bethune Cookman might end up being okay. I think they will finish near the top of the MEAC and rack up a good W/L record. North Dakota will be mid 200s but look like they will be one of the bottom teams in the Summit. Charleston Southern is the only one that I think is an okay buy game and they don't help, they just don't hurt.

Hand wringing in a vacuum.  The very fact that we play 6? “loseable/winnable” games is 3-4-5 more than most Big 6 teams will play in non-con.  Therefore, on a SOS basis we will be well ahead of them.  Very strong, solid schedule. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2018, 01:06:09 PM »

With this schedule MU will end the season with one of the strongest SOS in the nation.  Yet some are complaining about BC , southern and presbyterian? 

My goodness.

Pretty sad. 

Nothing else really needs to be said, but  here i go...every coach is going to want a few cup cakes in there.  It gives a team a chance to stack some wins and gives the guys that might not get a ton of time at IU, or versus the kansas schools, etc an opportunity to get some extended run in real game situations.
Take the 300s out and add 200 or 100s in their place and MU ends up with one of the hardest schedules in the country by not a close margin.  Why in the hell would they want to do that??? Get a grip ignorant complainers!!

MSK, you may want to hold off against calling everyone ignorant complainers. Scheduling is an art and its not as simple as scheduling a bunch of good teams. As long as the committee uses outdated formulas like RPI, you have to be strategic with your non-conference scheduling. Setting up a schedule where half your games are so tough that you could lose them all and the other half is all fatty cupcakes can lead to an RPI disaster. From an RPI perspective, it is much better to schedule all middle of the pack teams then it is to schedule 6 from the top 50 and 7 from the bottom 150 (with 4 of them being in the bottom 50).
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2018, 01:10:10 PM »
Hand wringing in a vacuum.  The very fact that we play 6? “loseable/winnable” games is 3-4-5 more than most Big 6 teams will play in non-con.  Therefore, on a SOS basis we will be well ahead of them.  Very strong, solid schedule.

This isn't how SOS works. Scheduling #353 (which Southern has a good chance of being) does as much damage to your SOS as scheduling #1 does to help it. You can't just look at the top teams on the schedule and ignore the bottom ones. It SHOULD be the way you are describing but that's not how RPI and SOS work. Also, most Big 6 teams will play between 4-7 "loseable/winnable" games. I don't know of any Big 6 teams that will only play 1 or 2 loseable non-conference games and don't think there will be more than a couple who only play 3.
TAMU

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2018, 01:18:22 PM »

My goodness.

Pretty sad. 

lol, you calling people ignorant is so amazingly comical.

Fact of the matter is, a 175-275 team is still a cupcake that MU will easily handle at home.  Playing some of the worst teams in the NCAA can really skew computer numbers, and it has cost MU in recent seasons. It is avoidable, and should be avoided.

All together, I agree, it is a solid schedule.