[Today at 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[Today at 07:48:11 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[Today at 05:47:31 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[Today at 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Full Home Non-Conference Schedule Announced  (Read 18262 times)

🏀

• All American
Re: Full Home Non-Conference Schedule Announced
« Reply #75 on: July 31, 2018, 05:29:43 PM »
Sorry. Not a respectable schedule. It is a pad your record schedule.

It's perfectly respectable, don't be a willie warrior about it.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #76 on: July 31, 2018, 05:33:53 PM »
It's perfectly respectable, don't be a willie warrior about it.

Not only respectable, but a bit dangerous imo. Get through it with a very good record & rightful praise shall be due.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #77 on: July 31, 2018, 08:31:53 PM »
It depends on how you define a respectable schedule. Maybe its is respectable for your beloved RPI calculations. However, as a fan paying for season tickets the non-conference schedule sucks. The three most exciting games are not home games. The only two home games to get excited about are Kansas St and UW. The rest is not going to make people want to buy tickets. There is not a great home court advantage, if the arena is half empty. Maybe that is why I was cringing as you guys were debating the RPI values of the worst teams on this schedule.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #78 on: July 31, 2018, 08:50:30 PM »
It depends on how you define a respectable schedule. Maybe its is respectable for your beloved RPI calculations. However, as a fan paying for season tickets the non-conference schedule sucks. The three most exciting games are not home games. The only two home games to get excited about are Kansas St and UW. The rest is not going to make people want to buy tickets. There is not a great home court advantage, if the arena is half empty. Maybe that is why I was cringing as you guys were debating the RPI values of the worst teams on this schedule.

The new stadium should be a pretty big draw all season. I would hope that fans don't just come for the home opener, decide whether or not they like the forum, and then don't come back. Some of the midweek buy games may be a bit empty, but as stated earlier, a lot of non conference games will be Friday night's or Saturdays.  Should be a healthy crowd for those regardless of the opponent.

Also, winning cures all. If we end up being as good as some project, people will show up regardless of who we're beating. I'm not too worried about attendance for next year.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #79 on: July 31, 2018, 09:18:29 PM »
My desire to win the home games has nothing to do with RPI or the tournament.

Good (and great) programs win their home games. Period.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #80 on: July 31, 2018, 09:20:31 PM »
Maybe that is why I was cringing as you guys were debating the RPI values of the worst teams on this schedule.

Let’s be clear: you didn’t cringe. You just made up false claims that we’re not close to being truthful. If you don’t like the NC Home schedule, just say it. Don’t make stuff up, bud.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #81 on: July 31, 2018, 09:40:09 PM »

I have a thought.

Instead of bitching every year about the schedule, just stop buying tickets. The schedule is going to be what it is roughly every year. You aren’t going to control that. You can control if you keep paying for it.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #82 on: July 31, 2018, 09:54:52 PM »

Hi. Welcome to college basketball. Pretty much since Thanksgiving tournaments became vogue this is what non-conference scheduling has become. You get your big rivalry game (Wisconsin), one big name (Kansas State), and a whole bunch of cupcakes. And if your lucky, one of your cupcakes will be a quality team...just not a sexy name (Buffalo). Very few teams do anything different with their home non-conference schedule.

Just to prove it, here are are the home non-conference games for the rest of the Big East:

Butler (18-19): 1 big name (Ole Miss) 6 cupcakes
Creighton (17-18): 1 big rivalry (Nebraska), 8 cupcakes (including a D2 team)
DePaul (17-18): 1 big rivalry (Northwestern), 1 big name (Notre Dame), 5 cupcakes
Georgetown (17-18): 1 big rivalry (Syracuse), 9 cucpcakes
Providence (17-18): 1 big rivalry (Boston College), 2 big names (Minnesota, Houston), 6 cupcakes
Seton Hall (17-18): 2 big names (Indiana, VCU), 6 cupcakes
St. John's (17-18): 2 big names (Nebraska, Duke) 5 cupcakes (including a D2 team)
Villanova (18-19): 1 big name (Michigan), 2 big rivalries (Temple, St. Joe's), 3 cupcakes
Xavier (18-19): 1 big name (Wisconsin), 7 cupcakes

As you can see, only two teams played more than two "big names". Providence...and Houston was good last season but I don't know how big a name they are. Buffalo is in a similar position for us this year. And Villanova...and their two rivalry games are against lower tier opponents.

The schedule you seem to be hoping for is not possible in today's environment. Everyone does their biggest games on neutral courts and eats cupcakes at home.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #83 on: August 01, 2018, 07:27:37 AM »
Hi. Welcome to college basketball. Pretty much since Thanksgiving tournaments became vogue this is what non-conference scheduling has become. You get your big rivalry game (Wisconsin), one big name (Kansas State), and a whole bunch of cupcakes. And if your lucky, one of your cupcakes will be a quality team...just not a sexy name (Buffalo). Very few teams do anything different with their home non-conference schedule.

Just to prove it, here are are the home non-conference games for the rest of the Big East:

Butler (18-19): 1 big name (Ole Miss) 6 cupcakes
Creighton (17-18): 1 big rivalry (Nebraska), 8 cupcakes (including a D2 team)
DePaul (17-18): 1 big rivalry (Northwestern), 1 big name (Notre Dame), 5 cupcakes
Georgetown (17-18): 1 big rivalry (Syracuse), 9 cucpcakes
Providence (17-18): 1 big rivalry (Boston College), 2 big names (Minnesota, Houston), 6 cupcakes
Seton Hall (17-18): 2 big names (Indiana, VCU), 6 cupcakes
St. John's (17-18): 2 big names (Nebraska, Duke) 5 cupcakes (including a D2 team)
Villanova (18-19): 1 big name (Michigan), 2 big rivalries (Temple, St. Joe's), 3 cupcakes
Xavier (18-19): 1 big name (Wisconsin), 7 cupcakes

As you can see, only two teams played more than two "big names". Providence...and Houston was good last season but I don't know how big a name they are. Buffalo is in a similar position for us this year. And Villanova...and their two rivalry games are against lower tier opponents.

The schedule you seem to be hoping for is not possible in today's environment. Everyone does their biggest games on neutral courts and eats cupcakes at home.

FACTS! Booo. Facts are not allowed!

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #84 on: August 01, 2018, 10:51:33 AM »
I am disappointed in the non-con as a whole, simply for the reason that we started out so strong and ended up decent-to-mediocre.
ESPN Events screwed us twice, once with Bethune Cookman and the second time with nobody, forcing MU to scramble to fill a vacancy (which I really wish we would have been denied the NCAA waiver for).

In the end, it won't matter too much.
If a minuscule RPI hit keeps us out of the tourney this year, we've got bigger issues than the schedule.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #85 on: August 01, 2018, 11:00:12 AM »
If a minuscule RPI hit keeps us out of the tourney this year, we've got bigger issues than the schedule.

Thing is, the RPI hit won't be minuscule.  Replace the 300+ RPI teams with 175-225 RPI teams, and the "hit" will be significant.  These are still teams MU would handle easily at home. 

I agree, though - this team should be good enough that we won't need to worry about computer numbers too much come March.  But I still don't understand why the people in charge of scheduling (Broeker, Wojo, etc.) wouldn't do everything in their power to game the numbers.  Tons of other programs do it - for some reason, MU hasn't.  Is what it is, I suppose. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #86 on: August 01, 2018, 11:03:05 AM »
I think that Presbyterian game might end up being better than we expect. Not that they will be a Norfolk State type addition, but last year they looked pretty good when Francois Lewis was available. He was their most efficient, highest usage player, but was declared ineligible midway through the season.

With Lewis, Presbyterian was 5-8 in D1 games (8-8 overall). Included in there was a win over a UNC-Greensboro team that made the NCAA Tournament and they were competitive with NC State and Virginia Tech on the road. They led the Wolfpack by 8 at halftime and were tied in Blacksburg with 10 minutes to play. Without Lewis, they went 3-13 down the stretch.

The Blue Hose have three other starters returning and their coach, Dustin Kerns, equaled their highest win total in the past six years. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they were closer to the 225-275 range than the sub-300 they are currently projected to be.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #87 on: August 01, 2018, 11:14:34 AM »
I am disappointed in the non-con as a whole, simply for the reason that we started out so strong and ended up decent-to-mediocre.
ESPN Events screwed us twice, once with Bethune Cookman and the second time with nobody, forcing MU to scramble to fill a vacancy

#Accurate
#Truth
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 12:41:39 PM by Jay Bee »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #88 on: August 01, 2018, 11:35:51 AM »
#FakeNews
#Lies

(BC was the nobody replacement we found)

Hmm...not according to the PR released by Marquette. It specifically says Bethune Cookman is part of the Preseason NIT on both the Twitter feed and gomarquette.com. Presbyterian is listed the same way the other buy games are. Is Marquette wrong?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #89 on: August 01, 2018, 04:38:26 PM »
Virginia just released their NC schedule today.  Home games are:

Middle Tenn St (Battle for Atlantis)
Maryland (ACC/Big10)
Towson
George Washington
Coppin St
Morgan St
VCU

Not a lot to get excited about here.  Bottom line is that most home non conference slates are pretty blah.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #90 on: August 01, 2018, 05:45:36 PM »
I was excited to see the new Brewer stadium. It is much better than County Stadium was. However, I still only attend 1 Brewer game a year. I am sure there are non season ticket holders that will be excited to see the new "Buck's" stadium. Some of them will show up at MU games. However, they can also see it by attending a Buck's game or a concert. It will be interesting to see, if we get much of an uptick in attendance this year.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #91 on: August 02, 2018, 07:23:00 PM »
Is it worth doing a 2 and 1 deal with UWM as part of a deal to recruit Patrick Baldwin?
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #92 on: August 02, 2018, 11:41:01 PM »
https://twitter.com/ebosshoops/status/1025229587452702720

UTEP added a 4-star guard to their roster real late. Kind of addition that could keep them out of the cellar of Conference USA.
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #93 on: August 02, 2018, 11:43:45 PM »
https://twitter.com/ebosshoops/status/1025229587452702720

UTEP added a 4-star guard to their roster real late. Kind of addition that could keep them out of the cellar of Conference USA.

http://krod.com/isiah-osborne-leaves-utep-mens-basketball-program/

But also just lost their top returning scorer to transfer...woof, straight back to the basement.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 11:46:49 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

feedback