[Today at 05:39:36 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: George Webb incident up in Milwaukee yesterday? Backlash  (Read 16994 times)

WarriorDad

• All American
George Webb incident up in Milwaukee yesterday? Backlash
« on: July 07, 2018, 12:44:44 PM »
My wife and I heard about this from friends in Milwaukee and we watched the video this morning.  Her ears are always fine tuned to Milwaukee news as our last child moves through her MU experience.  The first thing she said to me was the other Webb employee will be fired for having that weapon on her because companies don't allow employees to carry weapons.  She's probably right, but not sure.

Companies don't want employees taking these things into their own hands, but you also have to wonder how this would have played out if she didn't have it.  It astonishes me there wasn't some kind of security at that hour of the morning (1:15am).  Has her behavior come up as part of the story from yesterday? 

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Z2iuL__9a-U" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Z2iuL__9a-U</a>

“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
Re: George Webb incident up in Milwaukee yesterday? Backlash
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 02:00:30 PM »
Cost might be to much to have security.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2018, 03:20:00 PM »
Is George Webb the Waffle House of Milwaukee???

I had a CEO once that said he was ok with people totin’ firearms at work.  He told me we’d be safer if everyone carried a gun to work. That way, if the bad guys showed up, we could shoot back

Just can’t make that sheet up

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2018, 04:00:06 PM »
according to this article from wtmj-

" The worker with the gun has since quit her job at George Webb.

The victim says that worker has a concealed carry permit and that their boss allows them to conceal and carry for their protection if they have a license to do so. "

https://www.tmj4.com/news/local-news/george-webb-waitress-hit-by-customer-suffered-concussion

if it weren't for the heroics of the victims coworker, she probably would have suffered more than a concussion and the other worker could have been badly injured as well.  the perpetrator is a known drug dealer in the area
don't...don't don't don't don't

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 11:28:32 AM »
according to this article from wtmj-

" The worker with the gun has since quit her job at George Webb.

The victim says that worker has a concealed carry permit and that their boss allows them to conceal and carry for their protection if they have a license to do so. "

https://www.tmj4.com/news/local-news/george-webb-waitress-hit-by-customer-suffered-concussion

if it weren't for the heroics of the victims coworker, she probably would have suffered more than a concussion and the other worker could have been badly injured as well.  the perpetrator is a known drug dealer in the area

Not surprising she quit.  That would have been a difficult thing to see and the pulse rate had to be peaking off the charts. If Webb is not going to provide some security after 11:00pm, not worth having that type of job.
— Plato

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2018, 12:51:15 PM »
Not surprising she quit.  That would have been a difficult thing to see and the pulse rate had to be peaking off the charts. If Webb is not going to provide some security after 11:00pm, not worth having that type of job.

Do you think George Webb has that kind of overhead to provide security

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2018, 02:13:05 PM »
Was 911 ever called and how quickly did the police get there?

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2018, 02:50:13 PM »
Do you think George Webb has that kind of overhead to provide security

To put a minimum wage security guard into a restaurant?  Yes.  If not, then do what so many other fast food places do, keep only the drive thru open during those hours to protect the workers especially if in a high crime area.
— Plato

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2018, 03:02:58 PM »
To put a minimum wage security guard into a restaurant?  Yes.  If not, then do what so many other fast food places do, keep only the drive thru open during those hours to protect the workers especially if in a high crime area.

How much security can one get for minimum wage these days?  Cuz none of the security guards I know make minimum wage.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2018, 04:09:47 PM »

What world do you live in that a security guard makes anywhere near minimum wage. Like some dude just decided, hey I know what a great life decision would be, become a security guard in the ghetto and risk my life and limb for less then I'll make at walmart, while being more qualified then any of those people at walmart. That sounds like a great life decision, sign me up.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2018, 04:23:08 PM »

Average security guard pay in the Milwaukee area is $30K. Not including benefits.
So, roughly twice the minimum wage.
And since it's unlikely they'll be able to find someone who'll work 365 days a year, they'll need to hire two.

https://www1.salary.com/WI/Security-Guard-salary.html

source?

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2018, 05:44:59 PM »

I'm also not sure I'd like to work in a place where a known violent offender who has a reason to hate me can just waltz in on any of my shifts. As to the question in the OP about employers and guns, when I was a delivery driver the franchise owner frequently encouraged us to concealed carry on the job (with a permit).

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2018, 06:30:07 PM »
Average security guard pay in the Milwaukee area is $30K. Not including benefits.
So, roughly twice the minimum wage.
And since it's unlikely they'll be able to find someone who'll work 365 days a year, they'll need to hire two.

https://www1.salary.com/WI/Security-Guard-salary.html

$11 to $12 an hour, 100's of jobs listed.  Full time salaries at $21K to $24K

https://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/full-time-security-officer-salary-SRCH_KO0,26.htm

Minimum wage in Chicago is $12.  https://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en/depts/mayor/supp_info/minimum-wage.html

Not sure what it is in Milwaukee.   My suggestion was part time, late hours not full time. 

— Plato

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2018, 06:33:12 PM »
What world do you live in that a security guard makes anywhere near minimum wage. Like some dude just decided, hey I know what a great life decision would be, become a security guard in the ghetto and risk my life and limb for less then I'll make at walmart, while being more qualified then any of those people at walmart. That sounds like a great life decision, sign me up.

I live in this world   https://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Security_Guard/Hourly_Rate

Median pay $11.12.  That is minimum wage in Chicago.  Where am I wrong in terms of the costs?  The life decision is a different story, but people make these life decisions all the time in the world that I live in, since you asked.   :D
— Plato

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2018, 08:58:50 PM »
I live in this world   https://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Security_Guard/Hourly_Rate

Median pay $11.12.  That is minimum wage in Chicago.  Where am I wrong in terms of the costs?  The life decision is a different story, but people make these life decisions all the time in the world that I live in, since you asked.   :D

Minimum wage in Wisconsin is $7.25.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2018, 09:50:36 PM »
My guess is that there are only a couple of employees working the graveyard shift to begin with.  No matter what you pay a security guard, it probably wasn't financially feasible to increase the number of employees by a third.

And I bet that the  $11 wage that is being quoted is for unarmed guards (or at least includes them in the average), which would have been useless in this situation.

Also, this George Webb's was on 21st and Mitchell, which isn't the most desirable section of Milwaukee, but I wouldn't describe it as super sketchy.  I doubt that most businesses that are open all night in Milwaukee have armed security.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 09:52:09 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2018, 01:13:31 AM »
I used to love going to the pawn shops in Phoenix where every employee was strapped.  Open carry.  And some stores additionally had an armed guard with a shotgun just inside the door.  I once asked why all the firepower and the guy said, "man, didn't you hear about the robbery?"  Apparently the store owner was killed as were two robbers.  The owner wasn't armed.  From then on all the stores were heavily armed.  Some great deals though.  My favorite was 'Mo money pawn'. 
Seems it was a good thing one of them was armed.  May have prevented some permanent injury or worse.  Appeared to have been handled properly-probably more restraint than I would have had.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2018, 09:18:38 PM »
Here was the "Soup Schedule" that was posted on a big sign above the grill at the Webb's at 27th and Wells my junior year (1980-81, when I lived a few blocks away):

MONDAY: Bean and potato.

TUESDAY: Bean and ham.

WEDNESDAY: Bean and potato.

THURSDAY: Bean and ham.

FRIDAY: Bean and potato.

SATURDAY: Bean and ham.

SUNDAY: Bean.

As if that isn't hilarious enough, that's not the best part.

They didn't have ANY of those soups on ANY of those days.

All they ever had was Bean and bacon!

I shyte you not!!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2018, 09:55:04 PM »
Here was the "Soup Schedule" that was posted on a big sign above the grill at the Webb's at 27th and Wells my junior year (1980-81, when I lived a few blocks away):

MONDAY: Bean and potato.

TUESDAY: Bean and ham.

WEDNESDAY: Bean and potato.

THURSDAY: Bean and ham.

FRIDAY: Bean and potato.

SATURDAY: Bean and ham.

SUNDAY: Bean.

As if that isn't hilarious enough, that's not the best part.

They didn't have ANY of those soups on ANY of those days.

All they ever had was Bean and bacon!

I shyte you not!!
Do you remember the name of the Irish bar next door? Both buildings have been vacant for years, still a shamrock above the door where the bar was.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2018, 04:57:52 PM »
Do you remember the name of the Irish bar next door? Both buildings have been vacant for years, still a shamrock above the door where the bar was.

No sir, I do not. Never went there.

Too busy trying to digest that bean and bacon soup, I guess!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2018, 06:22:30 PM »
My guess is that there are only a couple of employees working the graveyard shift to begin with.  No matter what you pay a security guard, it probably wasn't financially feasible to increase the number of employees by a third.

And I bet that the  $11 wage that is being quoted is for unarmed guards (or at least includes them in the average), which would have been useless in this situation.

Also, this George Webb's was on 21st and Mitchell, which isn't the most desirable section of Milwaukee, but I wouldn't describe it as super sketchy.  I doubt that most businesses that are open all night in Milwaukee have armed security.

Closest 24 hr. Walgreens is 'bout 1 mile awey, aina?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 07:44:44 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2018, 07:44:52 PM »

Closest Walgreens is 'bout 1 mile awey, aina?

i heard they're adding valet parking...ey...
don't...don't don't don't don't

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2018, 07:58:34 AM »
I didn't realize that Wisconsin is a right to carry state. If that happened in a fast food joint in Trenton, NJ those girls would have been badly beaten and if one did have a gun she would have been charged with illegal weapons possession. Here you are only allowed to have your weapon in your residence which has to be unloaded and locked in a safe place. The ammo for the weapon has to be stored in a separate room. If you take your weapon to a shooting range it must be place in the trunk or the rear of a SUV. If you purchase your gun out of state and physically return with it to New Jersey you committed a felony.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2018, 01:41:48 PM »
I didn't realize that Wisconsin is a right to carry state. If that happened in a fast food joint in Trenton, NJ those girls would have been badly beaten and if one did have a gun she would have been charged with illegal weapons possession. Here you are only allowed to have your weapon in your residence which has to be unloaded and locked in a safe place. The ammo for the weapon has to be stored in a separate room. If you take your weapon to a shooting range it must be place in the trunk or the rear of a SUV. If you purchase your gun out of state and physically return with it to New Jersey you committed a felony.

Gun deaths per 100,000:
New Jersey - 5.5
Wisconsin - 11.4

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2018, 02:42:37 PM »
Gun deaths per 100,000:
New Jersey - 5.5
Wisconsin - 11.4

What are the stats if you take out hunting-related deaths?
Have some patience, FFS.

feedback