[Today at 12:21:27 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wojo on Rothstein's Podcast  (Read 12398 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Wojo on Rothstein's Podcast
« on: July 04, 2018, 11:42:10 AM »
https://soundcloud.com/compass-media/college-hoops-today-with-jon-rothstein-marquettes-steve-wojciechowskibig-east-preview

Pretty solid listen, talks about time at Duke, what the Big East looks like this season, and Marquette's chance in the upcoming season. Wojo sounds confident.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

muwarrior69

• All American
Re: Wojo on Rothstein's Podcast
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 11:50:42 AM »
https://soundcloud.com/compass-media/college-hoops-today-with-jon-rothstein-marquettes-steve-wojciechowskibig-east-preview

Pretty solid listen, talks about time at Duke, what the Big East looks like this season, and Marquette's chance in the upcoming season. Wojo sounds confident.

Obviously, defense, defense, defense will determine the season we'll have. If we can keep teams at 40% fg avg I think we will have decent season.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 12:09:22 PM »
Obviously, defense, defense, defense will determine the season we'll have. If we can keep teams at 40% fg avg I think we will have decent season.

What is the relevance of FG%?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2018, 12:31:47 PM »

Agree that he definitely sounds confident about this coming year. The fact that John Rothstein found Wojo also suggests we're again beginning to be noticed on the national stage.

We'll see how far our defense can move us, which is a major point of Wojo's during the interview.

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2018, 12:42:25 PM »
Agree that he definitely sounds confident about this coming year. The fact that John Rothstein found Wojo also suggests we're again beginning to be noticed on the national stage.

We'll see how far our defense can move us, which is a major point of Wojo's during the interview.

MU has 11 solid players, with 2 seniors with experience and 4 juniors that has played big minutes, one for Nebraska, add 3 sophs.  All will be more experienced through
in 2 Top 50 kids in there year and you have a coach that needs how to put it together.  If an individual does not want to play D, there will be another on the bench that
might want to.  Wojo has done his job recruiting, now lets see how he coaches a team with so much talent.  MU has not had this type of talent since the Al era, and 1
year with Crean with D Wade, but no team was this deep.  Al's teams only had 7 kids a year.  Crean did it and Buzz had a great team one year as well.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2018, 12:58:32 PM »
MU has 11 solid players, with 2 seniors with experience and 4 juniors that has played big minutes, one for Nebraska, add 3 sophs.  All will be more experienced through
in 2 Top 50 kids in there year and you have a coach that needs how to put it together.  If an individual does not want to play D, there will be another on the bench that
might want to.  Wojo has done his job recruiting, now lets see how he coaches a team with so much talent.  MU has not had this type of talent since the Al era, and 1
year with Crean with D Wade, but no team was this deep.  Al's teams only had 7 kids a year.  Crean did it and Buzz had a great team one year as well.

Depth is a nice but overrated quality. Stars are more important. Who is this team's George Thompson, Dean Meminger, Jim Chones, Mo Lucas, Bo Ellis, Earl Tatum, Butch Lee, D Wade, JFB or Jae Crowder? Without one I don't see an Elite 8 or a FF. I would be ecstatic with a S16.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2018, 01:15:11 PM »
Depth is a nice but overrated quality. Stars are more important. Who is this team's George Thompson, Dean Meminger, Jim Chones, Mo Lucas, Bo Ellis, Earl Tatum, Butch Lee, D Wade, JFB or Jae Crowder? Without one I don't see an Elite 8 or a FF. I would be ecstatic with a S16.

Who was Loyola's star this season?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2018, 01:30:10 PM »

Your right, there probably is no All-American in the group, but you have 2 players that both averaged double figures last year, and 2 who are transfers that were in
double digits as well.  As the person below said,  Loyola did not have star but had 5 solid players.  I think MU has more talent than. Loyola had.  So in saying that,
Wojo will have to coach them to be an 11 man team, and try and make 11 happy, no easy task there.  And the 12th player might be something as well, time will tell
on him.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2018, 02:55:56 PM »

None of those guys were on our last Elite 8 team.

burger

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2018, 04:56:07 PM »

Crowder......

A guy who puts up 52 in college is either a "budding" star or a star.....

I agree we need a star......Maybe we will have 4 or 5......

Nova West.....

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2018, 04:58:38 PM »
Crowder was not on our last Elite 8 team

MU82

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2018, 05:22:36 PM »
Normally, I'm in the "star is much more important than depth" camp, especially once a team gets to a season's nitty-gritty.

I'm not 100% that we have the classic "star" on our team, but we have guys who can be every bit the "stars" that Vander, Davante and Jamil were in 2012-13.

Unless one is talking about Duke/Kentucky level superstars, a pretty good argument could be made that experienced talent is the No. 1 important thing in college basketball. We should have that, no?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2018, 05:26:01 PM »
Quality depth is always a good thing.  Sam is a tremendous player.  What if, hypothetically, his recovery is poor and he can't play?   For the first time in forever, there is abundant size and talent to overcome his hypothetical absence.  The only two I view as not replaceable are Markus and JC.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2018, 06:28:37 PM »
If Markus averages 20 again this year, he. Will be a "star" on the national stage, because I think we will be a Top 15 team. He may not be the most valuable, but the national press will consider him our best player.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2018, 10:12:54 PM »
If Markus averages 20 again this year, he. Will be a "star" on the national stage, because I think we will be a Top 15 team. He may not be the most valuable, but the national press will consider him our best player.

If we're a Top 15 team, I won't care if the national press agrees with the dopey stats that say Matt Heldt is our best player.

Let's be a Top 15 team first and worry about the rest!

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2018, 07:23:35 AM »
If we're a Top 15 team, I won't care if the national press agrees with the dopey stats that say Matt Heldt is our best player.

FIFY
Have some patience, FFS.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2018, 07:42:12 AM »
Normally, I'm in the "star is much more important than depth" camp, especially once a team gets to a season's nitty-gritty.

I'm not 100% that we have the classic "star" on our team, but we have guys who can be every bit the "stars" that Vander, Davante and Jamil were in 2012-13.

Unless one is talking about Duke/Kentucky level superstars, a pretty good argument could be made that experienced talent is the No. 1 important thing in college basketball. We should have that, no?

Yes. And I agree completely. Unless you are swimming in one-and-done talent, experience paired with top 100 talent works just fine. In retrospect, we didn’t appreciate the importance of experience when it came to our last Elite 8 team.

I think the next two years could be special because of the mix of talent and experience this team will have.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2018, 08:07:58 AM »

Let's be a Top 15 team first and worry about the rest!

👁👁
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2018, 08:12:25 AM »
One of the things that gets overlooked is that our depth allows us to play different ways in different situations AND to absorb foul trouble.  I think this is particularly important on the defensive end.

Wanna press?  Fine.  We've got enough fresh legs to do that all game if we want to.  (Side note:  It was so much fun to watch Diener and Derrick press last weekend.)

Uncontested at the rim?  No way.  Hit him even harder next time Matty.  Because Ike or Brendan can cover for you for a few extra minutes. 

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2018, 08:17:41 AM »
What is the relevance of FG%?

Had to be a typo. He meant FT%.

*ducks*

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2018, 12:55:47 PM »
Had to be a typo. He meant FT%.

*ducks*

Oooh no. FT% has some relevance in certain situations (although FTsNoMatta re: winning b-ball games). FG% has little relevance and should generally never be mentioned
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2018, 01:37:25 PM »
Who was Loyola's star this season?

Sometimes the exception proves the rule. If your ceiling/goal for MU is a 12 seed who go on a run in March, fine. It's possible. I like my chances better with some star power and a higher seed, though.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2018, 01:39:16 PM »

Correct, but Vander was.

TheGym

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2018, 01:57:31 PM »
Correct, but Vander was.

If Vander was a star then we have 3-4 on this year's team

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2018, 02:08:16 PM »
If Vander was a star then we have 3-4 on this year's team

What 3-4 players on this team are better than Vander?  I think there is only one clearly better (Sam). Markus might be. No one else.

feedback