'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wojo on Rothstein's Podcast  (Read 12399 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Wojo on Rothstein's Podcast
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2018, 02:10:19 PM »
Correct, but Vander was.

I think due to vander hitting 30 for the first time since Jerel in a game and the two clutch game winners people forget just how "ok" he was that year. 14.8ppg 3.2rpg and 1.8apg are good but by no means are they star numbers

Admittedly he was lock down on D which was nice
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2018, 02:20:50 PM »
I think due to vander hitting 30 for the first time since Jerel in a game and the two clutch game winners people forget just how "ok" he was that year. 14.8ppg 3.2rpg and 1.8apg are good but by no means are they star numbers

Admittedly he was lock down on D which was nice

Second team all Big East and the leading scorer on a conference champion and E8 team. I’ll take that any day.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2018, 02:33:12 PM »
Second team all Big East and the leading scorer on a conference champion and E8 team. I’ll take that any day.

Not saying I wouldn't take that any day but those are not star numbers. Compare those to anybody else you'd consider a star in the past. Lazar, Jae, DJO, Jerel, Wade etc.
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2018, 02:40:03 PM »
Not saying I wouldn't take that any day but those are not star numbers. Compare those to anybody else you'd consider a star in the past. Lazar, Jae, DJO, Jerel, Wade etc.

Sure but he was more than just “ok.”

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2018, 02:58:24 PM »

Sure but he was more than just “ok.”

That's fair. The phrasing I used I guess I could've said he was just good
Maigh Eo for Sam

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2018, 04:03:44 PM »
What 3-4 players on this team are better than Vander?  I think there is only one clearly better (Sam). Markus might be. No one else.

Markus and Sam are both better and haven't even played junior year yet.  Vander's Ortg was only 104 his junior season.

Vander was certainly better defensively but offensively....it's not even close.

If Vander was a "star" then we have 2 returning stars.

Ps my recollection of Vander is that his defense was not as good his last season as it was his first 2 when he had to defend at a high level to get playing time because his offense was so bad. To be fair Jerel also seemed to regress as a defender as he got older. I have no stats to back this up so,I could be wrong.....maybe JB has some insight on Vander vs Sam and Markus?

« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 04:09:49 PM by MuMark »

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2018, 06:39:54 PM »
If Markus averages 20 again this year, he. Will be a "star" on the national stage, because I think we will be a Top 15 team. He may not be the most valuable, but the national press will consider him our best player.

If marcus shoots well and averages 20 we will be a good tourney team if he averages 20 as a liw percentage gunner we may not be.  His shot selection was very poor at times last year when it did not need to be.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2018, 06:45:57 PM »
Sometimes the exception proves the rule. If your ceiling/goal for MU is a 12 seed who go on a run in March, fine. It's possible. I like my chances better with some star power and a higher seed, though.

I would take a 32 win season, regular season and conference tournament championship, and only 3 losses all year when my full starting lineup was available in a heartbeat.  That wasn't some fluke run.  They were very good all year long.

Who was the star for Michigan?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2018, 07:19:54 PM »
Markus and Sam are both better and haven't even played junior year yet.  Vander's Ortg was only 104 his junior season.

Vander was certainly better defensively but offensively....it's not even close.

If Vander was a "star" then we have 2 returning stars.

Ok you’ve convinced me. I wouldn’t put anyone else ahead of Vander to this point though.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2018, 10:03:09 PM »

Who was the star for Michigan?

1. Moritz Wagner , 25th pick in this year's draft
2. Charles Matthews, projected 32nd pick (NBA Draftnet) 2019
3. The #3 rated DEFENSE in the NCAA (per Pomeroy)

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2018, 10:11:40 PM »
I would take a 32 win season, regular season and conference tournament championship, and only 3 losses all year when my full starting lineup was available in a heartbeat.  That wasn't some fluke run.  They were very good all year long.

You wouldn't get a 32 win season, a regular season and conference championship with Loyola's talent in the Big East or any other power 6 conference. Yes, they were very good (#31 per Pomeroy). When all the stars align perfectly it can happen - I'd rather have stars, you can have miracles and Cinderellas. You'll lose the vast majority of the time.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2018, 10:39:21 PM »
You wouldn't get a 32 win season, a regular season and conference championship with Loyola's talent in the Big East or any other power 6 conference. Yes, they were very good (#31 per Pomeroy). When all the stars align perfectly it can happen - I'd rather have stars, you can have miracles and Cinderellas. You'll lose the vast majority of the time.

Considering 1.1% of NCAA D1 Men’s basketball teams make the Final Four each year, just about every program in the country will lose “the vast majority of the time.”

So guys who averaged 14 and 13 ppg last season were stars? Interesting. Then I guess we had 2 megastars considering we had 2 guys averaging 20 ppg.

The NBA doesn't draft on college production.  A 6th man went 17th overall.  Marvin Williams was the #2 overall pick in his Draft and was a 6th man in college.  The #4 pick in this year's draft averaged 11 and 6 in college.  The #14 pick in the draft had a career record of 0-2 in games played and was horrendous in his 2 games played.  The #15 pick averaged 11 and 6.

Meanwhile, a guy like Trevon Bluiett went undrafted.  So I guess you'd consider Troy Brown Jr. more of a college star than Tre Bluiett?  Pretty awful criteria.

Need I continue?  Using NBA Draft selections to determine whether or not a college player was a star or not is beyond silly.

“#3 rated defense in the NCAA” is a star player? Seems to me that’s more of a...team thing? Hmm... 🤔
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 10:52:28 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2018, 07:34:37 AM »

If Wagner and Matthews are the standard, Marquette has enough talent.

burger

• All American
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2018, 10:20:16 AM »
The biggest thing for Markus this summer was that Trey Young went pro......

Everybody is on the hunt for the "next" Steph Curry.......

Big East.....Possible POY in the league.....National Ranking......

Check.....Check.....Check.....

Markus is going to get a lot of pub......He needs to stay "grounded".....

Very hard thing to do when everyone wants a piece of you.....

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2018, 10:51:10 AM »

“#3 rated defense in the NCAA” is a star player? Seems to me that’s more of a...team thing? Hmm... 🤔

It's something that can make up for the lack of a "star OFFENSIVE player", so yes. We had more than enough guys with offensive numbers last year that made them "stars" to folks who don't know much about basketball. You know, the guys who think offense is an individual thing and defense is a "team" thing. LOL.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2018, 10:57:12 AM »

If Wagner and Matthews are the standard, Marquette has enough talent.

Great. 33 wins, a #7 final ranking in the AP and Pomeroy and a runner up finish in the NCAA tournament will be awesome!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2018, 11:05:24 AM »
Great. 33 wins, a #7 final ranking in the AP and Pomeroy and a runner up finish in the NCAA tournament will be awesome!

I'd begrudgingly accept those results.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2018, 11:28:58 AM »

So the only reason teams advance is due to talent???

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2018, 11:34:48 AM »
It's something that can make up for the lack of a "star OFFENSIVE player", so yes. We had more than enough guys with offensive numbers last year that made them "stars" to folks who don't know much about basketball. You know, the guys who think offense is an individual thing and defense is a "team" thing. LOL.

Interesting. Not sure who said offense is an individual thing and defense is a “team” thing.

I asked who Michigan’s stars were. You came back with Wagner and Matthews and even sited their NBA Draft prospects as proof, which is awesome.

If those guys are “stars” and you need “stars” to make a deep Tourney run, MU is in great shape.

The reality is that neither of those guys are stars, 2 of the 4 Final Four teams didn’t have a “star,” and unless you’re getting the very top recruits in the country it’s much more important to have multiple guys that can contribute and to have an experienced roster than it is to have a star that can carry your team.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2018, 12:01:03 PM »
The reality is that neither of those guys are stars, 2 of the 4 Final Four teams didn’t have a “star,” and unless you’re getting the very top recruits in the country it’s much more important to have multiple guys that can contribute and to have an experienced roster than it is to have a star that can carry your team.

I'd agree with this, and it's one of many reasons I'm very high on the Warriors for these next two seasons (and hopefully beyond).
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2018, 12:36:57 PM »
The #14 pick in the draft had a career record of 0-2 in games played and was horrendous in his 2 games played.

He was actually 1-2. Before his injury, Porter was averaging 40 points and 40 rebounds per 40 minutes.

Granted, that was in 2 minutes against Iowa State...
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2018, 01:06:28 PM »
He was actually 1-2. Before his injury, Porter was averaging 40 points and 40 rebounds per 40 minutes.

Granted, that was in 2 minutes against Iowa State...

Ahh thanks. For some reason I thought he got injured 2 minutes into an exhibition game.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2018, 01:48:53 PM »
Ahh thanks. For some reason I thought he got injured 2 minutes into an exhibition game.

Yeah, was the first actual game. Though safe to say your point is still accurate ;)
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2018, 09:37:04 PM »
Wagner was a “star”.

His draft positioning is not a support

But just watching Michigan games and seeing everything he did for them. Honestly, I think I heard to him referred to as a star about 100 times the whole month of March.

Gimme a Mo Wagner please.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2018, 03:09:24 AM »

Runner up finish....... Fire Wojo!

feedback