[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFC North / NFL Thread 2018-19  (Read 126822 times)

DegenerateDish

• All American
Re: NFC North / NFL Thread 2018-19
« Reply #675 on: October 14, 2018, 10:31:44 PM »
Chiefs/Pats was fun.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #676 on: October 15, 2018, 09:11:21 AM »
In the 4th quarter of last night's extremely entertaining game, a Chiefs defender started to tackle Brady but let Brady go apparently because he thought Brady had already released the football and the guy didn't want to get penalized for roughing the QB. But Brady had only pump-faked and then, released by the defender, he ran into the end zone for the go-ahead TD.

Collinsworth went on and on and on about it, mentioning it repeatedly long after the Chiefs tied the game and there were other things to talk about.

I actually like Collinsworth as an analyst more than many do - and I also think the NFL ultimately has to do something about these rules - but the fact is that a defensive holding penalty was called on the play. That means the Pats would have had a first-and-goal at the 2 even if the defender hadn't stopped trying to tackle Brady.

That fact seemed to elude Collinsworth as he prattled on and on about it.

Now, first-and-goal at the 2 isn't the same as a TD. The Pats theoretically could have been stopped. But based on the defense that both teams played (or didn't play) all night, I'm pretty sure a TD still would have been the result.

Would have been nice for Al Michaels to have reminded Collinsworth (and viewers) of that fact.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #677 on: October 15, 2018, 09:16:58 AM »
I'm not a big hate on the announcer guy.  I generally like most of them.  (Including Buck and Aikman.)  But Collinsworth does this regularly.  He makes some point and then never lets it go.  It's really annoying.

Michaels suffers a bit from making references from 40 years ago that no one under the age of 50 will understand, but it generally pretty good.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #678 on: October 15, 2018, 11:05:11 AM »
Look, we can forgive the interception. We can forgive even the fumble on the 0.00001 inch line. But when the team had a chance in OT to win and Nagy set the guy up for failure, well, that was a Lovie or JohnFox move. I did not get why they didn't try to throw the ball, pick up another 10 or 15 years and make the kick a chip shot.

Good teams win games like today. Brother Dish is right. The Bears probably are a year or two away from winning consistently. They're teasingly close... but not there. Yet.

Maybe it’s just the simple answer - Nagy doesn’t trust Mitch.

Are the Bears almost there? Depends on whether you think Mitch is almost there.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #679 on: October 15, 2018, 11:07:41 AM »
Maybe it’s just the simple answer - Nagy doesn’t trust Mitch.

Are the Bears almost there? Depends on whether you think Mitch is almost there.

If you can't trust him to throw a pass in *that* situation in overtime, after having a pretty decent day all around, then when are you going to trust him?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #680 on: October 15, 2018, 12:24:39 PM »
In the 4th quarter of last night's extremely entertaining game, a Chiefs defender started to tackle Brady but let Brady go apparently because he thought Brady had already released the football and the guy didn't want to get penalized for roughing the QB. But Brady had only pump-faked and then, released by the defender, he ran into the end zone for the go-ahead TD.

Collinsworth went on and on and on about it, mentioning it repeatedly long after the Chiefs tied the game and there were other things to talk about.

I actually like Collinsworth as an analyst more than many do - and I also think the NFL ultimately has to do something about these rules - but the fact is that a defensive holding penalty was called on the play. That means the Pats would have had a first-and-goal at the 2 even if the defender hadn't stopped trying to tackle Brady.

That fact seemed to elude Collinsworth as he prattled on and on about it.

Now, first-and-goal at the 2 isn't the same as a TD. The Pats theoretically could have been stopped. But based on the defense that both teams played (or didn't play) all night, I'm pretty sure a TD still would have been the result.

Would have been nice for Al Michaels to have reminded Collinsworth (and viewers) of that fact.

To be fair, I think that flag came flying after Brady "broke" the tackle.  WR was watching Brady, and made a break when he realized the sack wasn't happening, DB got caught and grabbed.  I remember seeing the flag fly as Brady dove towards the end zone and actually hoped it was an offensive hold. 

If you can't trust him to throw a pass in *that* situation in overtime, after having a pretty decent day all around, then when are you going to trust him?

Exactly.  One game removed from a near record setting performance, and in a game where, outside of one throw, he was having a solid game with good numbers, and you don't trust him at all.  Thats the sort of thing that ruins young QBs.  How can Trubisky gain confidence and experience when you have none in him?  Just baffling.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #681 on: October 15, 2018, 02:36:45 PM »

I guess you would have ask Nagy.

I certainly think it would be the perfect time to put the ball in Trubisky’s hands both to try to win the game and as a gauge to his development at this point in his career.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #682 on: October 15, 2018, 06:26:46 PM »
Paul Allen dead at 65. Cancer sucks.

Given he has no children, gotta think both an NBA and an NFL team are in play. Crazy

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #683 on: October 15, 2018, 09:24:15 PM »
The Pack suck.

And I don’t even care.

Haven’t watched at all, but fire Mac anyway.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #684 on: October 15, 2018, 10:27:57 PM »
Rodgers is still the best QB to ever play the game.

And Mac will continue to be the coach of the Packers.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #685 on: October 16, 2018, 08:05:06 AM »
Rodgers is an elite, transcendent talent.

Davante Adams is All Pro level.

Outside of that, there isn't a single high quality player on that roster.  There are a few very good players like Daniels and Clark, and a handful of plus players, but that defense is devoid of talent.  Matthews is done.  Perry is OK.  The offense outside of the two above isn't much better.

I don't know how much is coaching v. talent.  My guess is coaching plays some role because with any QB lesser than Rodgers and this team is 1-5.  But there is simply not enough players on this roster.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #686 on: October 16, 2018, 08:10:56 AM »
Rodgers toys with the game clock like he's playing Madden. 

The last 1:07 was ridiculous; and the last 25 seconds was insane.

Just a master.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #687 on: October 16, 2018, 08:12:39 AM »
And Adams has come a loooong way since he dropped and/or alligator-armed his way through a Bears win and booing fans at Lambeau on Thanksgiving 3 years ago.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #688 on: October 16, 2018, 09:55:42 AM »
How about Rodgers going for one last kick at the cat into the end zone with six seconds to go?  You could see him mouthing "one more shot". Crazy good.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #689 on: October 16, 2018, 09:58:11 AM »
How about Rodgers going for one last kick at the cat into the end zone with six seconds to go?  You could see him mouthing "one more shot". Crazy good.

That was purely to leave 0:00 on the clock after the FG. He was never going to throw a catchable ball for anyone there or leave a chance at a sack. It was catch the snap and throw it in the direction of Adams and way out of bounds.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #690 on: October 16, 2018, 10:09:30 AM »
Really is interesting how bad defenses are this year. Defenses that were considered good before the beginning of the year have all gotten lit up at one point this year (Vikes against Bills, Jags against Cowboys, Bears against Dolphins to name a few). Of course the rules are stacked for the offense, and the three teams I mentioned above all get lit up by what most would consider below average offenses.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #691 on: October 16, 2018, 10:15:37 AM »
Really is interesting how bad defenses are this year. Defenses that were considered good before the beginning of the year have all gotten lit up at one point this year (Vikes against Bills, Jags against Cowboys, Bears against Dolphins to name a few). Of course the rules are stacked for the offense, and the three teams I mentioned above all get lit up by what most would consider below average offenses.

Across the board, offensive linemen being called for holding is a joke.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #692 on: October 16, 2018, 12:14:15 PM »
That was purely to leave 0:00 on the clock after the FG. He was never going to throw a catchable ball for anyone there or leave a chance at a sack. It was catch the snap and throw it in the direction of Adams and way out of bounds.

I think he threw it to the outside shoulder... and if it was there, great. If not, waste it. Either way, any other team would have kicked it with 6 on the clock.  Masterful.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #693 on: October 16, 2018, 12:44:39 PM »

While 100% true, his incredible feel for the game is a sight to behold.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #694 on: October 16, 2018, 04:57:23 PM »
Across the board, offensive linemen being called for holding is a joke.

Especially in the last 10 minutes of a close game. If my man is going by me toward the QB on a make-or-break drive, I'm just gonna grab him. I'd be more likely to get called for a 3-second violation in the NBA!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #695 on: October 16, 2018, 05:00:50 PM »
Especially in the last 10 minutes of a close game. If my man is going by me toward the QB on a make-or-break drive, I'm just gonna grab him. I'd be more likely to get called for a 3-second violation in the NBA!

The last 2 primetime national games - Chiefs/Pats, Pack/49ers - were prime examples of this. Horrible throughout the 4th quarter, worse at the end. But even from the start of games, offensive linemen are being given a TON of leeway.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #696 on: October 16, 2018, 09:36:11 PM »
Fans start griping about holding, everyone forgets about the BS roughing the passer calls.  A win in the eye of the NFL.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #697 on: October 16, 2018, 10:43:36 PM »
Fans start griping about holding, everyone forgets about the BS roughing the passer calls.  A win in the eye of the NFL.

I'm willing to bet my life savings that there are MANY more missed holding calls vs called BS roughing the passer calls.

Note - I don't like the way the roughing calls have been made this year either.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #698 on: October 21, 2018, 12:12:44 PM »
Man, Adam Thien is good.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #699 on: October 21, 2018, 01:46:42 PM »
Jacksonville isn’t bad...they’re really bad, both sides of the ball. They flat out suck.

feedback