[Today at 06:18:19 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by MuMark
[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread  (Read 198419 times)

warriorchick

• All American
Re: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread
« Reply #625 on: March 29, 2021, 12:26:54 AM »
Doing a four day trip to Galena IL. Debating whether to do mid-week or a weekend. Mid-week obviously cheaper but was wondering if there are more things to do over the weekend?

Anybody who has been to Galena have any suggestions?

Most of the events are over the weekend, but nearly everything else that you can do - eating, shopping, golfing, hiking, museums - can be done mid-week.

Also check out Dubuque across the river. 
Have some patience, FFS.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #626 on: March 29, 2021, 10:23:52 AM »
Most of the events are over the weekend, but nearly everything else that you can do - eating, shopping, golfing, hiking, museums - can be done mid-week.

The National Mississippi River Museum & Aquarium is worth a stop in Dubuque... if you're into that sort of thign.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #627 on: March 29, 2021, 01:11:29 PM »

My wife’s hometown. A sleepy manufacturing town that has transformed itself. Dining is much better than it once was. The gambling along the River can be fun on weekends. The architecture can be cool.

Best line: How do you know you are in Iowa? The line at the nickel slots is eight deep!

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #628 on: March 29, 2021, 03:45:13 PM »
Doing a four day trip to Galena IL. Debating whether to do mid-week or a weekend. Mid-week obviously cheaper but was wondering if there are more things to do over the weekend?

Make sure you avoid Scout week.  There is a huge boy scout camp somewhere near there and downtown is overrun by kids.  I think it's in June.  My parents live there and say it's the worst week of the year.

Eagle Ridge had 4 golf courses, plus a spa and a brand new restaurant at the General.

Downtown is the touristy shops, but there sure some fun places.  Galena Garlic company, the popcorn store(forgot the name), Poopsies is a toy store.  Lots of bars and restaurants.  We like Gobbies and Fried Green Tomatoes.

The Irish Cottage is fun for live music.

Chestnut mountain has skiing in the winter, obv, but also zip lines and alpine slides in summer.

**this is all pre-covid. Not sure what is still open there, I'm sure their economy has been hammered.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #629 on: April 02, 2021, 10:19:39 PM »
So, Glow and I are doing our first trip ever to Hawaii.  Going to Maui, assuming we pass the Covid test.  Have one Moderna shot down: getting the next one the day after we return.

Amy recommendations regarding restaurants or excursions?  We have a Luau booked, but not much else.  Taking advantage of some crazy cheap airfares.
Have some patience, FFS.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #630 on: April 02, 2021, 10:54:17 PM »
So, Glow and I are doing our first trip ever to Hawaii.  Going to Maui, assuming we pass the Covid test.  Have one Moderna shot down: getting the next one the day after we return.

Amy recommendations regarding restaurants or excursions?  We have a Luau booked, but not much else.  Taking advantage of some crazy cheap airfares.
I’ve got a buddy who lives there. Give me a day.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #631 on: April 02, 2021, 11:23:22 PM »

Mamma's Fish House is overpriced but quite popular and very good. 

Merriman's in Kapalua is solid.

Every restaurant I have been to in Paia has been excellent.

There is a little cafe in Kula called La Provence that is outstanding for breakfast. 

In general there are number of good restaurants in Maui, definitely the best of all the islands.  Their food trucks are really good too.   I forgot the great Japanese place there....hmmmmm. 

Miso Phat in Kihei was superb.  :)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 11:27:21 PM by MuggsyB »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #632 on: April 02, 2021, 11:34:27 PM »

I recommend the Kapua suit at Turtle Bay Resort.  They have gorgeous luaus as well.  Also, be sure to talk to the best surf instructor I have ever met, Kunu.  He has a ton of life lessons to teach.  And if you're lucky, you might just run into a famous TV personality or Rock star while they're on vacation.  One place I can't recommend is Keoki's bar. 

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #633 on: April 03, 2021, 10:35:16 AM »
I recommend the Kapua suit at Turtle Bay Resort.  They have gorgeous luaus as well.  Also, be sure to talk to the best surf instructor I have ever met, Kunu.  He has a ton of life lessons to teach.  And if you're lucky, you might just run into a famous TV personality or Rock star while they're on vacation.  One place I can't recommend is Keoki's bar.

Wrong island.

Where you staying in Maui, Chick?

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #634 on: April 03, 2021, 10:59:12 AM »
Obviously you have to do Haleakalā. If you do the sunrise, it is freezing at the top. The bike ride down is fun. However you do it, note the silversword plants. They are no where else in the world. I don’t think you guys dive, but don’t do what I did and plan on doing Haleakala after diving. Altitude is too high. I missed out because of that.

Somewhere, have a plate lunch, preferably from a food truck. Meat, gravy, scoop rice, scoop macaroni salad. Best thing you will ever eat. Also, if someone is selling huli huli chicken, get it. Usually it is road side or a fund raiser.

I think the road to Hana has had issues with the flooding, so check before you go.

Have shave ice. No, it’s not shaved ice. But real Hawaiian shave ice is delicious.

I’ll look for good hiking trails. Kauai has amazing ones, but don’t remember the Maui ones as well.

One of the day trips to Lanai was fun on a catamaran, but not sure if they do them or are the same.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #635 on: April 03, 2021, 04:02:52 PM »
Monkeypod, there’s a location in Wailea and one in Kaanapali. Just trust me, get a meal there.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #636 on: April 03, 2021, 05:04:29 PM »
Little beach or Red Sand beach for sunbathing?  ;D

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #637 on: April 03, 2021, 05:49:27 PM »
Monkeypod, there’s a location in Wailea and one in Kaanapali. Just trust me, get a meal there.

+1. By Merriman
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 05:50:58 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #638 on: April 03, 2021, 05:57:31 PM »

Mid-week definitely better if you want fewer tourists.

If you golf, Eagle Ridge has 4 courses. The General is the signature course, but it's quite difficult - a lot of target golf - and it's a little overrated IMHO. Priciest, too. Both the North and South courses are nice, and the 9-hole East course is sporty, challenging and underrated.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #639 on: April 03, 2021, 06:06:09 PM »
http://www.cuatro808.com/
Kihei gem. Buy wine next store.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #640 on: April 03, 2021, 11:02:30 PM »
Looking for a recommendation from anyone - but maybe especially Glow and Chick - for a restaurant in Vegas.

A little background to help understand what we are looking for. We’re stopping in Vegas for a 24-hour pit stop on the drive from Phoenix to SLC. It’ll be the whole family including our kids (24, 22, 20 and 18). The three youngest have never been to Vegas. My wife and I haven’t need for 25 years.

We’re staying on the strip. We want to have a “nice” dinner to celebrate. I realize that “nice” is relative. Looking at some menus, I don’t think we really want to be in the $50-60 entree range, but I could do $30-40 range (which would probably make this the most expensive dinner we’ve had as a family). It’s a special occasion and I’m hoping to do something nice.

I’m somewhat interested in some of the celebrity chefs, but that’s not a deal breaker for me if it’s not. I’m interested in good food, but also a cool room/experience. Any recommendations would be appreciated.  And any suggestions to reduce cost also appreciated. If it matters, it will be a Thursday, and I’m definitely willing to make it a lunch. And if there’s something in that higher price range that you think is absolutely worth it - let me know. Not sure I can swing it, but I’d consider it.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #641 on: April 03, 2021, 11:22:46 PM »
Looking for a recommendation from anyone - but maybe especially Glow and Chick - for a restaurant in Vegas.

A little background to help understand what we are looking for. We’re stopping in Vegas for a 24-hour pit stop on the drive from Phoenix to SLC. It’ll be the whole family including our kids (24, 22, 20 and 18). The three youngest have never been to Vegas. My wife and I haven’t need for 25 years.

We’re staying on the strip. We want to have a “nice” dinner to celebrate. I realize that “nice” is relative. Looking at some menus, I don’t think we really want to be in the $50-60 entree range, but I could do $30-40 range (which would probably make this the most expensive dinner we’ve had as a family). It’s a special occasion and I’m hoping to do something nice.

I’m somewhat interested in some of the celebrity chefs, but that’s not a deal breaker for me if it’s not. I’m interested in good food, but also a cool room/experience. Any recommendations would be appreciated.  And any suggestions to reduce cost also appreciated. If it matters, it will be a Thursday, and I’m definitely willing to make it a lunch. And if there’s something in that higher price range that you think is absolutely worth it - let me know. Not sure I can swing it, but I’d consider it.
I have to say, one of the best meals I’ve EVER had was at Emerils. But 4 of us got out of there for about  $750-$800. That was in 2000.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #642 on: April 03, 2021, 11:42:28 PM »
Delmonico is fantastic, but definitely a bit on the pricy side.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #643 on: April 04, 2021, 12:01:10 AM »

To be honest, we don't go out to eat much on the Strip.  I don't think we have been there at all since we got here in January.  There are a lot of great options off-strip and you aren't paying tourist prices.  But I understand  wanting to go there if it's only 24 hours.

What type of food are you interested in (steak, italian,etc.)?  What hotel are you staying at?

Have some patience, FFS.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #644 on: April 04, 2021, 08:55:13 AM »

Warriorchick is right.  The best restaurants are off the strip.  There are several good Steakhouses, Mexican, Japanese, and Bulgarian places.  The place I would recommend would be Marrakesh if you like Morrocan/Mediterranean cuisine.  It's not too far from the strip.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #645 on: April 04, 2021, 09:04:40 AM »
Which is the best food city in the country that has under 100,000 people?  Just a little trivia, I'm going there next month.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #646 on: April 04, 2021, 09:16:14 AM »
Which is the best food city in the country that has under 100,000 people?  Just a little trivia, I'm going there next month.

Asheville

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #647 on: April 04, 2021, 09:40:35 AM »

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #648 on: April 04, 2021, 09:57:51 AM »
Obviously you have to do Haleakalā. If you do the sunrise, it is freezing at the top. The bike ride down is fun. However you do it, note the silversword plants. They are no where else in the world. I don’t think you guys dive, but don’t do what I did and plan on doing Haleakala after diving. Altitude is too high. I missed out because of that.

Somewhere, have a plate lunch, preferably from a food truck. Meat, gravy, scoop rice, scoop macaroni salad. Best thing you will ever eat. Also, if someone is selling huli huli chicken, get it. Usually it is road side or a fund raiser.

I think the road to Hana has had issues with the flooding, so check before you go.

Have shave ice. No, it’s not shaved ice. But real Hawaiian shave ice is delicious.

I’ll look for good hiking trails. Kauai has amazing ones, but don’t remember the Maui ones as well.

One of the day trips to Lanai was fun on a catamaran, but not sure if they do them or are the same.

Haleakala was the most spiritually inspiring moment in my life thus far. It is indescribable. It gets very cold and windy, and it is at altitude. I did not bike down.

Road to Hana was also incredible. I took my time, stopped at the black sand beach, hiked to waterfalls, had exotic fruits from a roadside stand. I also drove back around the backside of the island. Bring food and drink, the “store” in Hana is small and a bit random.

Took a helicopter ride, it had recently rained so many beautiful waterfalls.

Took a boat, snorkeled/snuba’d in Molokini, whale watching was incredible, they came right up to the boat.

Surf. I was AWFUL, but it was fun.

Eat a loco moco, shave ice, spam, poke. I also liked Star Noodle for a restaurant experience.

Maui is forever in my soul, only and handful of places have left this impression on me. Remember to stop and take in the beauty.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #649 on: April 04, 2021, 10:40:45 AM »

Napa?